I good quality exterior wall paint ...recommendations

banglay

After cleaning well, apply a primer. You will see a big difference in prices for wall paints, so don't take the cheapest. Our main problem here is with rising damp, causing the paint to flake off, maybe this is your problem too.

• Like 1

If there are any damp walls this has to be addressed first, jet wash the wall if its not damp, let it dry out, apply a primer suitable with the top coats ie same manufacturer, UNDER NO circumstances let the workers thin the paint more than 10% as they like to make it like water.

Fill all cracks and holes etc, I stick on two primers and two top coats Ive used toa shield 1 and have had good results.

THE MAIN thing is NOT thinning that paint down and making sure the surface is clean dry and flake free.

Try to paint out of the sun if you can so it doesnt dry too fast, this time of year is ideal if dry and cloudy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

unfortunately Thailand paint is made with inferior quality products to keep the price cheap, Dulux weathershield would probably be the pick of the bunch though. As stated use proper preparation removing any loose/flaking paint, fill cracks etc then prime and only add a small amount of water in the first coat if it is dragging, none at all is much more preferable as the quality is already lacking. Also work away from the sun so that the paint does not set off too fast. As a tradesman the quality of the paint and lack of proper preparation coats here is extremely disappointing, 2 top coats of a quality brand should do but I would recommend that you spot prime all the suspect areas first, the other thing I have noticed is thais do not do a very good preparation job so you really need to make sure the old surface is stable

• Sad 1

CAPTAIN SUPER SILICONE is the best I have used, its a Thai brand and uses Micronised Titantium Dioxide so its self-cleaning. I used it about 8 years ago and its still like new. I would only recommend a self-cleaning paint otherwise you will just pay the price down the line when the mold and mildew move in.

I made it a point to speak with the spokesperson and technical advisor of Nippon Paint in Buriram last week at the house builders merchants store Ruangsangthai. I was interested in the solar reflective paint that is on promotion and was interested in how that Nippon exterior paint could make my house cooler. My wife did not share my same curiosity in the "paint properties" explained by the person in red. The Dulux Ultima Weathershield had given me a good seven years of paint quality and this year I priced that product against the Nippon 3 in 1 and Nippon Colour Shield Plus house paint which have longer guarantees.

post-20604-0-76200900-1414227767_thumb.j

I made it a point to speak with the spokesperson and technical advisor of Nippon Paint in Buriram last week at the house builders merchants store Ruangsangthai. I was interested in the solar reflective paint that is on promotion and was interested in how that Nippon exterior paint could make my house cooler. My wife did not share my same curiosity in the "paint properties" explained by the person in red. The Dulux Ultima Weathershield had given me a good seven years of paint quality and this year I priced that product against the Nippon 3 in 1 and Nippon Colour Shield Plus house paint which have longer guarantees.

Where can I find a painter like the one in the red dress...............reminds me of a trainee painter I once had!!

• Like 1

The top coat is only as good as the preparation and undercoat.

For new concrete, use a good quality primer first

For old painted concrete, scrape and wire brush as much old paint off as possible then use a good quality primer.

For a top coat, I have used two coats of TOA Supershield with good results.,

• Like 1

unfortunately Thailand paint is made with inferior quality products to keep the price cheap, Dulux weathershield would probably be the pick of the bunch though. As stated use proper preparation removing any loose/flaking paint, fill cracks etc then prime and only add a small amount of water in the first coat if it is dragging, none at all is much more preferable as the quality is already lacking. Also work away from the sun so that the paint does not set off too fast. As a tradesman the quality of the paint and lack of proper preparation coats here is extremely disappointing, 2 top coats of a quality brand should do but I would recommend that you spot prime all the suspect areas first, the other thing I have noticed is thais do not do a very good preparation job so you really need to make sure the old surface is stable

i to have found dulux weathershield to be good,and for indoors dulux easy care.

beware if you are having the painting done for you,thai's will add water[plenty].and the likes of home pro staff will tell you plenty of tinner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/24/2014 at 12:41 PM, kannot said:

If there are any damp walls this has to be addressed first, jet wash the wall if its not damp, let it dry out, apply a primer suitable with the top coats ie same manufacturer, UNDER NO circumstances let the workers thin the paint more than 10% as they like to make it like water.

Fill all cracks and holes etc, I stick on two primers and two top coats Ive used toa shield 1 and have had good results.

THE MAIN thing is NOT thinning that paint down and making sure the surface is clean dry and flake free.

Try to paint out of the sun if you can so it doesnt dry too fast, this time of year is ideal if dry and cloudy.

4 years later...... good thread I found on Google search for Thai paint.  Crew starts tomorrow, mind the 10% dilution and we got TOA at Global House for a reasonable price. 

21 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

4 years later...... good thread I found on Google search for Thai paint.  Crew starts tomorrow, mind the 10% dilution and we got TOA at Global House for a reasonable price. 

You really need to make sure they CLEAN first.  It can be as simple as running a mop with normal cleaning stuff but they have to remove the dust, etc.  If you don't supervise, they will dilute a lot more than 10% - and that should only be for the primer.  I never dilute the color.

With a premium quality primer and premium quality paint, you should be good with one coat of each.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bankruatsteve said:

You really need to make sure they CLEAN first.  It can be as simple as running a mop with normal cleaning stuff but they have to remove the dust, etc.  If you don't supervise, they will dilute a lot more than 10% - and that should only be for the primer.  I never dilute the color.

Copy all, thanks.  This guy is making all the right sounds about primer coats, and we've seen a nearby house he did in the past few years.  Tomorrow is prep day, says he's bringing his power washer.

11 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Copy all, thanks.  This guy is making all the right sounds about primer coats, and we've seen a nearby house he did in the past few years.  Tomorrow is prep day, says he's bringing his power washer.

Yikes!  I don't know what you are painting but a power washer sounds extreme.

I have always just used a long handle brush with whatever my wife puts in the bucket.  If you are painting render, power washers can rip that up and you're screwed.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Mine s still fine no problem after 6  years of being painted and nows a  good  time to do it as certainly by me its been cloudy  daily for about 3 weeks  now, just paint out of the sun although sometimes nigh on impossible to do here.

I was a  decorator in the UK for 30 years, at least you dont have to contend with frost.

Speed is  more critical here to keep a wet edge.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

I have always just used a long handle brush with whatever my wife puts in the bucket.  If you are painting render, power washers can rip that up and you're screwed.

you dont hold it that close to the walls to remove the  render and if your render is that soft you  have a problem already.  A  brush wont remove dust completely.

Outside paintwork is pretty easy, when I was doing interior  gloss it is way more complicated,  sand   down, vacuum with horse hair brush, wipe with damp  lint  free  rag washing every stroke almost, then finally wipe  down with Tack Rags a  rag embedded with  sticky resin which car manufacturers use before painting bodyshells years ago.

Edited by kannot

With a premium quality primer and premium quality paint, you should be good with one coat of each.

running a  mop?  not so good, youll have to keep cleaning that mop out every wipe, jet wash way better starting at the top and  get all the crap  off by gwaaaaaaaaavity, mop will just spread that grime around

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

do what the pros do, Hilton,Home Pro...etc

1.. prep is more important than the Paint

2. Clean walls with a solution of Bleach/water, kills everything and will clean surface effectively...

3. Sand cement wall with large sanding20131210065227c699407e1b96fde279f71d6bd27ad0fc.jpg.32c5f568f821b0558ee59fdacd709faa.jpg block available at The Watsadu, prime with Jotun cito 09, goes deep into the cement...solvent base..what Home Pro uses out side and inside their buildings...

4. Use a primer...again use a primer even over old work...TWO COATS

5. Use a semi-gloss Paint on the Drywall/Gypsum...easier to clean and more.

6. Toa and i like 4 seasons Paint...SEMI_GLOSS...flat is too pourous....