Would Thailand be run better if its PM was elected directly by the people?

webfact

Yingluck would win, so yes, Thailand would be run better if its PM was elected directly by the people.

Yingluck would win what >>?? the only thing she would win would be a cdmpetition for being the best Puppet of the decade.

Oh come on. Puppet, ok I see that, but best.

Surely not.

My kids made some sock puppets recently that were way more convincing as what they purported to be.

Hell sooty and sweep were more convincing.

• Like 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember after the first election Prem conducted after he decided to step down, there was a story in the Bangkok Post about reactions around the country. One elderly country man was quoted as saying, "Which party am I supposed to vote for to have Prem be Prime Minister again." He was certainly very popular and widely trusted as an honest man. If direct election had been an option I'm sure he would have won just like Thaksin. Same with Anand. I don't know the answer to the question, but I think the previous parliamentary system is most congenial for Thailand.

• Like 1

Wasn't YL elected by the people? Case closed.

No she wasn't. She was a party list MP. She was then elected PM by the other MPs.

No she wasn't. She was a party list MP. She was then elected PM by the other MPs appointed as PM by her fugitive criminal brother as his clone.

I have corrected your statement.

She came a hell of a lot closer to being elected by the Thai electorate than the current PM and the previous PM. As number one on PT's party list, she secured 48% of the popular vote. None came even close to this.

Are you suggesting that all of these millions of Thai elligble voters didn't know they would get Yingluck ?

There is no need to have a directly elected PM, the current system provides the means to get the PM elected just fine.

It is good to ask this question and info on surrounding nations is interesting.... but, the parliamentary form of govt. has an essential part, the choosing of the PM by the parliament, not by the people. In America, that would be like making the President the Majority Leader of the Senate which, in America, would destroy one third of the checks and balances of usa govt structure. ...and insure one party dominance.

The UK Brit parliamentary form was invented because the Members were of the upper crust and not gutter fighters. They were devoted to struggling inside the two party system, one with the other, but finally accepting the MAJORITY RULES concept and going ahead with a mostly working govt. system.

Brit style parliament is terribly suited to emerging democracies because it automatically places only the court in a balancing position, not a good use of Western styled courts and with extended delays for deliberations, would effectively freeze a nation. Further, this form opens the gate for a Thaksin to rise and dominate as the lone, king-like final ruler. In a parliamentary form with a constitution instead of a king, the royal cushion on excessive power on a Thaksin-like power mad person is absent.... so he can run the whole show (and nearly did).

A peoples vote of the PM would basically destroy the parliamentary form and leave the nation even more open to single strong man tyrant rule.

The Brit system works because it reconciles the role of royalty with a democratic system and logically , no presidential role as head of state.

The PM is a member of the COMMONS, by definition not a Lord. I fear Thailand won't ever get democracy right until they smash corruption, thus depoliticising the court system.

At one time the UK PM was from the House of Lords and it was Lord Dunglass.

He then renounced his peerage and became known as Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home, Baron Home of the Hirsel and served in the House of Commons for many years.

Thank you Google and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Douglas-Home

Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home, Baron Home of the Hirsel (/ˈhjuːm/), KT, PC (2 July 1903 9 October 1995) was a British Conservative politician who served as Prime Minister from October 1963 to October 1964. He is notable for being the last Prime Minister to hold office while being a member of the House of Lords, prior to renouncing his peerage and taking up a seat in the House of Commons for the remainder of his premiership. His reputation, however, rests more on his two spells as the UK's foreign minister than on his brief premiership.

Interesting.

But he did give up his peerage.

• Like 1

Yingluck would win, so yes, Thailand would be run better if its PM was elected directly by the people.

Not now mate not ever, not now all is revealed-your in cloud something land if you HONESTLY think she would win. This has to be todays joke. Chalerm would be a better bet, but then again that would be another joke.

What evidence do you have to say she wouldn't? & who would beat her? Your hero Prayuth! That's the joke of the day!

No one has evidence, so that statement is a joke.

She would not even try to get elected/stand... she didn't last time. remember.

At this moment in time --no biased---I actually think he would wipe the floor with her. good night... i'm off on other topics some of us do use TVF to the full. Not just PM business.

No she wasn't. She was a party list MP. She was then elected PM by the other MPs.

No she wasn't. She was a party list MP. She was then elected PM by the other MPs appointed as PM by her fugitive criminal brother as his clone.

She came a hell of a lot closer to being elected by the Thai electorate than the current PM and the previous PM. As number one on PT's party list, she secured 48% of the popular vote. None came even close to this.

Are you suggesting that all of these millions of Thai elligble voters didn't know they would get Yingluck ?

There is no need to have a directly elected PM, the current system provides the means to get the PM elected just fine.

Super excuse. She stood in for her run away brother to cash in along with PTP. what a super job they did ??

Yingluck would win what >>?? the only thing she would win would be a cdmpetition for being the best Puppet of the decade.

Surely not.

My kids made some sock puppets recently that were way more convincing as what they purported to be.

So they made Abhisit dolls?

• Like 2

Super excuse. She stood in for her run away brother to cash in along with PTP. what a super job they did ??

No excuse, fact is she secured 48% of the popluar vote as number one party list MP. The Thai electorate isn't stupid, they elected PT and Yingluck not the democrats or others.

They might not have done a super job, there is little doubt they will win the next elections as well, probably with a bigger landslide than the last time.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

Surely not.

The kids are more likely to make Yingluck dolls. She's so much more cute.

Anyway an appointed PM seems like going the way of a President as any PM would need to have a cabinet and lots of politicians would like that to be members of parliament or at least resigned-as-MP-to-make-space-for-the-next-party-list-chap. Blame Ms. Yingluck for creating the wrong impression of what a PM should do.

Surely not.

Nope. They were dragons and other mythical creatures. Basically a sock with buttons and a lot of imagination. They were still more convincing than yingluck as PM.

Mind no one has enough imagination to see her as an effective, astute, independent PM. Some things are just beyond fantasy.

• Like 1

Not now mate not ever, not now all is revealed-your in cloud something land if you HONESTLY think she would win. This has to be todays joke. Chalerm would be a better bet, but then again that would be another joke.

yes millions HONESTLY believe she will... and are waiting

If he is not suggesting it I will. Many of them expected and got Thaksin.

Surely not.

The kids are more likely to make Yingluck dolls. She's so much more cute.

Anyway an appointed PM seems like going the way of a President as any PM would need to have a cabinet and lots of politicians would like that to be members of parliament or at least resigned-as-MP-to-make-space-for-the-next-party-list-chap. Blame Ms. Yingluck for creating the wrong impression of what a PM should do.

Wasn't that chap Oaf claiming his father Thaksin would be the next President?

Given a level playing field Yingluck would win in a canter no matter what scenario the elite want t come up with.

The old vote buying argument went down the tubes when academics and such came out and said it was minor done by both sides and has no relative input on election results.

Mention the name Yingluck the true democratically leader of Thailand and the yellow elite will use all sorts of slander and excuses to use her name as a stepping stone to deny the north of their true leaders elected by the majority of the voters.

Yingluck you might be surprised has been convicted of nothing and is free to stand at the next election and will win.If the faceless men get her convicted then it's a five year ban and if she choses after than time to run again she would been even more popular.

Anyway throw up what ever format you want the yellow elite are on the nose so much the PTP could nominate the drovers dog for PM and still win!

• Like 1

Given a level playing field Yingluck would win in a canter no matter what scenario the elite want t come up with.

The old vote buying argument went down the tubes when academics and such came out and said it was minor done by both sides and has no relative input on election results.

Mention the name Yingluck the true democratically leader of Thailand and the yellow elite will use all sorts of slander and excuses to use her name as a stepping stone to deny the north of their true leaders elected by the majority of the voters.

Yingluck you might be surprised has been convicted of nothing and is free to stand at the next election and will win.If the faceless men get her convicted then it's a five year ban and if she choses after than time to run again she would been even more popular.

Anyway throw up what ever format you want the yellow elite are on the nose so much the PTP could nominate the drovers dog for PM and still win!

I couldn't have said it better.

Clearly there's something wrong if a party can 'win' by putting up a drover's dog as candidate.

• Like 2

Clearly there's something wrong if a party can 'win' by putting up a drover's dog as candidate.

Nothing like a deliberate misunderstanding of a metaphor for the PTP's popularity with the voters, to try and make a political point, however weak that point is, eh, rubl?

• Like 2

Nothing like a deliberate misunderstanding of a metaphor for the PTP's popularity with the voters, to try and make a political point, however weak that point is, eh, rubl?

Forget the Thai people for 1 minute. How can any westerner support the PTP knowing how they ran a shambles for 3 years.

Their cabinet consisted of ??? and now some of the posters are slagging off the PM for his choice of advisors. OMG

Would you rather have me go into the seemingly inconsistency between the "true democratic leader of Thailand" and "deny the North their true leaders" ?

Anyway democratically so, for all Thai who love a true leader from the North for the people of the North. According to our stuttering parrot that is.

Myself I already said

"Anyway an appointed PM seems like going the way of a President as any PM would need to have a cabinet and lots of politicians would like that to be members of parliament or at least resigned-as-MP-to-make-space-for-the-next-party-list-chap. Blame Ms. Yingluck for creating the wrong impression of what a PM should do."

I may have missed your view on the topic.

You could not have expected anything other than this twaddle.

Forget the Thai people for 1 minute. How can any westerner support the PTP knowing how they ran a shambles for 3 years.

Their cabinet consisted of ??? and now some of the posters are slagging off the PM for his choice of advisors. OMG

Oh I don't know, I can't speak for others, but for me personally;

1. I disagree that the PTP ran a shamble for 3 years, and no, I am not going to get into a willy waving contest with you about name 6 points, or 15 principles or whatever else.

2. I support a civilian government that is governed by checks and balances (you may remember intervention by the Constitutional Court and the Senate - and that's intervention in the true sense of the word, not some bastardisation of the English Language used to disguise a coup) and that can be removed by democratic means, and yes, that means an election.

3. What does it matter what the PTP cabinet consisted of, this cabinet consists of Generals, Air Vice Marshals and Admirals - I don't recall you querying that setup.

4. I don't think the self appointed PM had a choice in either his masters or his real advisors.

Yes, truly, deeply, madly, OMG.

number 1. and you disagree that PTP ran a shamble for 3 years, then the rest was of no interest.

number 2 Ptp had checks and balances ???

number 3 The cabinet is a vital part of the government framework, Where were their objections to bad polices ?? they couldn't object ,they were puppets the same as Yingluck appointed to carry out orders from the land of camels.

Oh I don't know, I can't speak for others, but for me personally;

1. I disagree that the PTP ran a shamble for 3 years, and no, I am not going to get into a willy waving contest with you about name 6 points, or 15 principles or whatever else.

2. I support a civilian government that is governed by checks and balances (you may remember intervention by the Constitutional Court and the Senate - and that's intervention in the true sense of the word, not some bastardisation of the English Language used to disguise a coup) and that can be removed by democratic means, and yes, that means an election.

3. What does it matter what the PTP cabinet consisted of, this cabinet consists of Generals, Air Vice Marshals and Admirals - I don't recall you querying that setup.

4. I don't think the self appointed PM had a choice in either his masters or his real advisors.

Yes, truly, deeply, madly, OMG.

number 1. and you disagree that PTP ran a shamble for 3 years, then the rest was of no interest.

number 2 Ptp had checks and balances ???

number 3 The cabinet is a vital part of the government framework, Where were their objections to bad polices ?? they couldn't object ,they were puppets the same as Yingluck appointed to carry out orders from the land of camels.

people who understand the 2007 constitution, it's mechanisms, and its origins understand that there were so many checks built into it that there was no balance.

for a junta-hugger like yourself to claim that there were no checks and balances under the 2007 constitution is more than laughable.

TODAY, there are no checks and balances.

• Like 1

In a cake walk!

1898232_10152764266116154_52429716669057

I see... What did she do to achieve such adulation? The general consensus among Thais is nothing. Her followers therefore are more like a cult of personality. The blind following the blind if you like. Perhaps that's your need... Someone to worship and to bow down to because you refuse to see.

• Like 2

THERE HAVE BEEN loud calls from the public to have a directly elected prime minister as part of the country's political reform.

The whole premise of this story is not just a lie but a dam*ed lie!

Never have I heard even one Thai suggest direct elections of the PM. Never have I read where anyone has ever suggested direct election of the PM. Not even one of Thaksin's lackeys has ever been reported to suggest such a thing; knowing full-well that Dr. Thaksin's nominee would beat any other single candidate in an election.

This article is 'stirring the pot' and making controversy at a time when Thailand needs to get its feet firmly on the ground. There are far too many other, important issues to be decided than that of "Should the PM be directly elected". What a distraction.

Populism is bad enough in Thailand and would only get worse if some demagogue were to be directly elected by the populace. This is one of the worst ideas I have ever read. Why does The Nation give this reporter and his wacky idea a forum? What is their agenda with this article?

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1