Beach for the people

Confuscious

Every time the school of my kid has a few days off, I went to the beach.

Mostly Jomtien because of the short distance.

Lying on a (rented) chair on the beach for 100 baht/day, beach sellers offering seafood and other snacks when I call them, masseuses and beauty consultants offering their services at my chair, order breakfast/lunch/dinner/drinks at the beach chair rental people, etc....

The easy and good holiday.

The people of the beach chair rental kept their space clean and removed any dirt off their beach space.

I was reading every day the "cleaning" of the beaches by the new government in Thaivisa, but did not imagine what they where doing in reality.

2 weeks ago I went again to Jomtien.

At the same beach I went every time.

But the beach was not the same anymore.

Like I read in ThaiVisa, most of the beach chair rentals was gone and the beach was empty.

I still don't have accumulated enough "Thainess" to buy a rug and some drinks in a 7/11 shop and go lie down at the beach.

Lucky for me, there were still a few Beach chair rentals left over and I want to one of them.

It was Sunday and I started to enjoy my holiday.

Around 9 AM, several pickups parked in front of the beach and a lot of Thai families started to enjoy their day at the beach.

The stove like they use almost everywhere in Issaan was unloaded from the truck and lighted up with charcoal/ignition liquid, leaving a stinking smoke on the beach.

The woman started to make SomTam.

The smell of their cooking went from "bearable" to "annoying".

Then they put something on the stove/barbecue that switched the air to "DANGEROUS FOR YOUR HEALTH".

I knew that smell very good.

It was "stinky fish".

At about 4 PM, they dumped the remaining ashes and charcoal on the beach loaded everything in the pickup and left.

Leaving a lot of rubbish behind.

Nobody took the time to clean their rubbish up and dump it in a waste bin (5 meter away).

I booked the next day a room at a hotel with a pool and stayed at the hotel for the rest of my holiday.

WELL DONE for the new government.

But not for many people who were enjoying a day at the beach.

post-176122-0-40530000-1414386107_thumb.

For me, the "best bit" of the OP's story is when the family deposited all their "rubbish" 5 metres from the rubbish bin.

And I also agree that being down-wind of a stinky-fishy smell is disgusting. It's same as playing VERY loud Punk music on a beach.

2 further indications of Me Me Me

• Like 1

Where exactly did they remove beach chairs from Jomtien Beach? If anything there are more chairs and umbrellas here than ever. Down the south end, they practically erect them in the water! As for the trash issue, there clearly needs to be an education campaign of some sort as the thais just don't seem to get it, but thats not going to happen...

• Like 2

I think there should be a poll of which ex-pat nationalities gripes, whinges, moans and complains the most about how much everything irritates them in Thailand.

Could it be the whinging pom, the ranting Yank or the angry Oz? Are there any ex-pats that feel happy and content staying in Thailand and actually enjoy their lifestyles here?

The one thing that makes me really happy is that I don`t have to live with these old groaners, it must be hell for those that do, the oppressed and the persecuted who believe the Thais main ambitions are to make them miserable and suffer.

My advice is; chill out, live and let live. I bet there are many of those in our home countries stuck and trapped in their mundane lives who dream about relaxing on a nice beach in a tropical country, including the stinky fish and all.

The problem is that some people don`t know when they`re well off.

post-110219-0-16559600-1414417764_thumb.

• Like 1

I walked the beach last week from Soi 1- Soi Welcome. Most venders have reduced there chairs having moved them further from the sidewalk and closer to the water. In fact most had their first row of chairs within feet of the water. It seemed that this maybe to discourage people from sitting on the sand there. A couple areas such as near the volleyball court has had the venders removed so the area is now open and chair less.

For the last 5 high seasons and now living here I have been going to the same concession. Always it has been 30 baht. Some times Russians are made to pay 60 and upfront. Someone saw you coming if they charged you 100. The open areas had a couple of people on the sand. I like most are not looking for chair and umbrella free beaches to fry on. This is to keep foreigners at the pools earning hotels cash. To my way of thinking this is the elites catering to the major hotel owners. Those companies usually have military higher ups on their boards. The family who run the concession I go to have had it 34 years. To kick them out like what is being contemplated is criminal.

• Like 1

I think there should be a poll of which ex-pat nationalities gripes, whinges, moans and complains the most about how much everything irritates them in Thailand.

Could it be the whinging pom, the ranting Yank or the angry Oz? Are there any ex-pats that feel happy and content staying in Thailand and actually enjoy their lifestyles here?

The one thing that makes me really happy is that I don`t have to live with these old groaners, it must be hell for those that do, the oppressed and the persecuted who believe the Thais main ambitions are to make them miserable and suffer.

My advice is; chill out, live and let live. I bet there are many of those in our home countries stuck and trapped in their mundane lives who dream about relaxing on a nice beach in a tropical country, including the stinky fish and all.

The problem is that some people don`t know when they`re well off.

Best post of the month!!!

The tourists and expats I have read on various forums complaining about the chairs and umbrellas have more often than not been Australians. Well fine we all know you come from a place with plenty of great beaches. Thing is seldom are they at the beach here. They do not come here for them, which is all fine and good, but rather the bars which are full of them. The rest of us who come from upper north hemisphere places like them just fine the way they are other than cleaning up the water. This is also nothing about cleaning up corruption just replacing it with that of others higher in the food chain here.

Maybe the OP is a bit over the top. But the fact is there are too many Thais in the Pattaya/Jomtien area now.

And this includes too many lowlifes that you dont want to be next to you while at the beach.

Not referring to families cooking but to groups of Thais drinking and heavy cigarette smoking.

Edited by morrobay

Maybe the OP is a bit over the top. But the fact is there are too many Thais in the Pattaya/Jomtien area now.

And this includes too many lowlifes that you dont want to be next to you while at the beach.

Not referring to families cooking but to groups of Thais drinking and heavy cigarette smoking.

Too much Thais enjoying the beaches in their own country, wow, cannot have that now can we, i cant believe you wrote that!

Too much Thais enjoying the beaches in their own country, wow, cannot have that now can we, i cant believe you wrote that!

Yes, it's unbelievable how some people think.

• 2 weeks later...