Phone Cards?

Jamie

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get my girl some phone cards so she can call me here in the States. Can anyone recommend any good sites to pick these up? Something for someone in Thailand for calling here.

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get my girl some phone cards so she can call me here in the States. Can anyone recommend any good sites to pick these up? Something for someone in Thailand for calling here.

Thanks,

Jamie

Ordinary pay-as-you-go cards ? They are pretty much available every where. Every 7-11/Family Mart/local shophouse store seems to carry them.

TukCom (cell-phone floor, first floor up the escalator) sells them as well. Some places charge a little more than the value of the card (i.e. a 90 baht may sell for 95 baht). Usually at the local shophouse shops.

Pretty much every shop that sells mobiles sells cards as well.

Values depend on the provider (AIS, DTAC, 1-2 Call, ect). Most go from 50 - 500 baht. Different providers have different "usage" rates too I imagine (never really pay too much attention to that myself).

Everything that I have found is cards for calling over to Thailand, nothing as far as Thailand to the US. Well one, but the rates were outrageous. I'd like to either find something here to send to her, or something on the net and then just give her the access numbers.

This isn't a phone card in Thailand but For over a month now I have been using WebCallDirect to call Thailand

It's the cheapest rates I've found around

1 cents per minute land line to land line

2 cents per minute land line to cel phone

http://www.webcalldirect.com/en/index.php

What I like about the service

1. cheapest around. For some countries it's free. For Thailand it's 1cents per minute or 2 cents if you call a cell phone in Thailand

2. no "special TAX" like a lot of cards in the US

3. no 3 minute rounding like most calling cards

4. no service fee

5. you can buy as little as 12 dollars worth of calls at a time

What I don't like about Web Call Direct

1. about a 1 second delay in voice transmission.

2. You need to initiate each call from an internet connected computer (after that, it's phone to phone)

3. Like most phone cards the account expires in 90 days and has to be recharged

4. And there is a 3 cent connection charge everytime you call someone

Edited by egeefay

7-11 sell Hatari PhoneNet cards.

They are a cheap way to call overseas from either a landline or mobile telephone.

They also have a user-friendly, informative website:

www.hatari.net

with all the latest country rates and FAQ section. Good quality fibre-optic lines for excellent quality calls or fax.

7-11 sell Hatari PhoneNet cards.

They are a cheap way to call overseas from either a landline or mobile telephone.

They also have a user-friendly, informative website:

www.hatari.net

with all the latest country rates and FAQ section. Good quality fibre-optic lines for excellent quality calls or fax.

I didn't do much research as far as alternatives, but I can vouch for the quality of the calls with the "hatari" calling card. I called the USA just now from Thailand.....4 BAHT per minute...crystal clear reception.

CHEERS!

D

• 5 weeks later...

I'll have to take back everything I said about Web Call Direct. After using it for about two months

True, it's cheap. So if you just need to save money, that's the way to go.

Problem is the quality of the call is poor. Bad reception sometimes, lots of static, plus the one second delay really makes it almost impossible to have a normal phone conversation.

So, Web Call Direct...not ready for prime time

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Jamie

Ordinary pay-as-you-go cards ? They are pretty much available every where. Every 7-11/Family Mart/local shophouse store seems to carry them.

TukCom (cell-phone floor, first floor up the escalator) sells them as well. Some places charge a little more than the value of the card (i.e. a 90 baht may sell for 95 baht). Usually at the local shophouse shops.

Values depend on the provider (AIS, DTAC, 1-2 Call, ect). Most go from 50 - 500 baht. Different providers have different "usage" rates too I imagine (never really pay too much attention to that myself).

Don't forget mate there is more than one tukcom, and we had ours before you had yours :o

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Jamie

Don't forget mate there is more than one tukcom, and we had ours before you had yours :o

At the moment there is a monopoly on international telephone traffic from thailand , as long as that exists making international calls from thailand will be expensive even when using the local phone cards.

Calling to a mobile in thailand from europe costs a mere 1/2 baht per minute whereas the cheapest non-internet option from thailand is many many times more expensive.

Cheaper to get her to sms you and to have you call her back.