Work Permit Confusion

I am getting really confused over the information available about Thai work permits

So every where i read i need a uni degree to get a work permit but then i read something the other day that a degree is only required for certain professions such as teaching.

I am looking to get a Job in Information Technologies Computer networking as that is what i currently do for a Job in Australia so i have the relevant experience and industry certificates but no degree.

So do you actually need a degree to get a work permit

Regards

Robert

I got a Work Permit without having to show my degree but highest education level is asked for in the application.

I also know people with work permits that never even finished school, so unless your job would ordinarily require a degree - I don't think it would be an issue.

At the end of the day the Labour office's job is to determine whether or not you are taking a job that a Thai could do..

I agree, I have all my school records with me and it's even authenticated by the Foreign Affairs of our country but they didn't even asked for it.

I remember, I was just asked once by my employer about my school credentials during the time when their applying for my WP3.

I just feel that these Visa companies intentionally made it appears like it's tedious to get a working permit so they can get hired.

But I guess they also play vital role in processing your working permit so, advise your employer to hire one.

At the end of the day, it's always best to leave things to the experts.

Lots of good and clear comments about the degree point.

You don't mention whether you actually have a job offer or not (and ultimately of course it's you business). If you do have a job offer then good luck.

If you don't have a job offer then please understand that there are many Thais available with qualifications (degree / non-degree / lots of on the job experience) for this type of work.

If you do some searching for a job / make job applications then make sure you highlight some qualification or strong experience which makes you different / makes you stand out / shows that you could bring some form of extra value to the job.

You don't mention whether you can speak/ read Thai, and that could be a serious point.

On the other hand it may well be worth contacting companies in Thailand from your home country, and other countries, where English or your own first language is used, to see what opportunities might exist.

But don't call the switchboard and ask 'any jobs'. The switchboard person will have no knowledge of this subject. Better to take some time and do some 'detective' work and find the name and number of the manger of the appropriate department and make a call.

And good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I don't yet have a job offer but have noticed quite a few job vacancy that require the skill set I have I also know that world wide network engineers are in demand and if you have the industry qualifications aka Cisco you can get in fairly easily I will have to do some research into the number of CCIE,s in Thailand . At this stage it is all planning as I am married to a Thai but currently living in Australia and having lived in Thailand for over a year the only thing that is stopping me being there permanently is work and income

Job offer & job contract are some of the requirements in applying for Non Immigrant Visa B. I'm not sure if there's any legal implication about this but you can actually go here as a tourist then find yourself a job. You said there's a good demand of your job here so you have a good chance of getting one. But we both know that you have to take the risk that comes along with it.

I don't yet have a job offer but have noticed quite a few job vacancy that require the skill set I have I also know that world wide network engineers are in demand and if you have the industry qualifications aka Cisco you can get in fairly easily I will have to do some research into the number of CCIE,s in Thailand . At this stage it is all planning as I am married to a Thai but currently living in Australia and having lived in Thailand for over a year the only thing that is stopping me being there permanently is work and income

You have an advantage since you are married to a Thai. You can get a work permit and work on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon your marriage to a Thai.

Your employer would not need to get all the paperwork together for a non-b and an extension of stay based upon working.

Also you work permit would only need 1 million baht of registered capital verses the 2 million normally needed.

\if you have the industry qualifications aka Cisco you can get in fairly easily I will have to do some research into the number of CCIE,s in Thailand .

Good luck with that expertise specifically, it is not easy at it may seem to you.