2 Year WP

I handed off my old permit and passport last week to the secretary....came back today good for 2 years. They told me last time I could only do one year at a time due to my validity of my visa. I'm confused I guess because my visa is up in January and they still gave me the 2 years this time. I don't know what she did or said....or even how much was paid yet, but I will eventually.

For several years the validity of the WP and permission to stay are no longer synchronized and is it possible to get a 2 year work permit.

The cost is 6,000 baht plus 100 baht application fee, as opposed to 3,000 baht and 100 baht fee for the 1 year validity.

2 year WPs became possible with the 2008 Working of Aliens Act. There is no need to have a visa covering the whole period. In fact that's virtually impossible unless you have PR. The Labour Ministry in Bangkok generally rejects applications unless the employer is a very large company or a public limited company. I was rejected when I applied with a small company but got it when I moved to a large Plc.

For those who work for a large company and can get their WP and NON-Imm B visa renewed at the same time there is no real advantage to the 2 year WP since you have to get it from the Labour Ministry and are no longer eligible for the one stop service, if you do. For PRs it makes more sense because they have to do WP and re-entry permit endorsements separately anyway.