Initial DNA test clears Koh Tao village headman's son of murder

webfact

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would make a good movie. Especially if there was a surprise witness to refute the evidence in hand. Perhaps proceeds would go to an international fund to assist the families of victims. I would hate to see somebody capitalize on the tragedy, but public awareness should be the goal.

oscar nominations 2014

"Koh Tao - The Truth"

A movie would actually be a great idea. News is soon forgotten but a decent movie remains in in the public eye for decades.

Anyone have any Hollywood connections?

Call it "The Beach 2" ...thumbsup.gif !

Nor could the Thais complain as, after all, its only fiction.......wink.png !

• Like 1

How does this DNA result clear him of murder, it might clear him of any sexual contact with the girl, certainly not clear him of any other involvement. What a useless and stupid headline / statement.

Not totally "surprised" by the statement / headline as it seems DNA was the only evidence that police presented to the prosecutor...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/772887-koh-tao-murders-lawyer-expresses-doubts-over-new-dna-test-offer

Huh???

if he was innocent he should have agreed to provide DNA since the beginning, now we are never going to know the truth anyway or be able to trust whatever anyone will swear, this bs is not worthy our time reading it.

This goes to show that nothing has changed in Thailand, corruption is still at all times high even with army boy in charge.

Pity those fools who believed it would be any better.

Im sure he would have done it at the beginning, but his family, gf and the police couldnt find him for a week even tho he was at his usual address the whole time, and he didnt know anyone was looking for him despite the constant news reports that he was the main suspect and the police were looking for him, all understandable of course, and by the time they did locate him the police had decided that their suspicions of him were actually just social media gossip

Edited by slygeeza

It isn't surprising that a Police Hospital shows the results are not a match. I'm not expecting anything different from the other three. I do remember that at the beginning of this investigation, it was reported that Thailand DNA technology could only determine the race of a person, which was why they were wanting to send it to Singapore.

We visited a few hostels in Malaysia last month and the word among backpackers is: stay away from Koh Tao. This attitude won't change for a long time to come.

Hmmmm are Malaysians and Thais different races now?

How does this DNA result clear him of murder, it might clear him of any sexual contact with the girl, certainly not clear him of any other involvement. What a useless and stupid headline / statement.

Does DNA show if he did not ejaculate?

Must be worth contacting ''The Guinness Book of records'' so as to confirm the result as the fastest ever conclusive D.N.A. test ever completed but possibly creative in its result(s)

Yes and surprise, surprise the BIB "doctors" managed to have the results a full 24 hours before their colleagues at the three other hospitals!!

The police are so used to get away with anything in this country, that they consider everyone else stupid.

But the buck stops here!!wink.png

After some research on the web: The fastest time for an accurate DNA-Analysis takes 72 hours! 3 days! Does anybody else know? Until now I always see 72 h.

if he was innocent he should have agreed to provide DNA since the beginning, now we are never going to know the truth anyway or be able to trust whatever anyone will swear, this bs is not worthy our time reading it.

This goes to show that nothing has changed in Thailand, corruption is still at all times high even with army boy in charge.

Im sure he would have done it at the beginning, but his family, gf and the police couldnt find him for a week even tho he was at his usual address the whole time, and by the time they did locate him the police had cleared him

You are repeating this "for a week" claim. Feel free to share with us where that comes from.

It isn't surprising that a Police Hospital shows the results are not a match. I'm not expecting anything different from the other three. I do remember that at the beginning of this investigation, it was reported that Thailand DNA technology could only determine the race of a person, which was why they were wanting to send it to Singapore.

We visited a few hostels in Malaysia last month and the word among backpackers is: stay away from Koh Tao. This attitude won't change for a long time to come.

No, it's not surprising, it could be the Police lab had to come up with negative results BEFORE the three other labs, to guide them in the right direction, and not get the foolish idea to draw different conclusion, at least this is the idea it will inspire to most people, I guess... As I wrote 'elsewhere', why not have the results in sealed envelopes, to open all simultaneously in front of the press? I don't say there is foul play, but it could have been done in a way nobody could come up with the idea there is, about this single little bit in an abysmally wrong investigation, I mean.

The UK Governent and that toffee nose UK PM should have insisted their police be free to do their own investigation or the UK would warn the UK people to stay away from Thailand. They should have a right to investigate murders of their own people.

Have the bodies been returned to the UK cannot remember reading if they had.

But that was a good point, the guys DNA did not match what was taken from the young girl, it only shows that he did not rape her.

I do not think these 2 guys will be found innocent, poor buggers.

Unless your from the UK, you have not right to call the PM a toffee nosed git, if your are from the the UK then that's ok...thumbsup.gif

and no the UK government cannot insist on anything in a foreign country, they can only do so if requested by the government/police of that country

of course in the days of Empire, if a native had killed a British national, they would have just sent a gunboat up the river and executed all the natives...simple.

Where is it written that they cannot insist upon it.

Yep, I mean they've for the cure for Ebola and everything!

minimum of 72 hours but after all this is amazing Thailand

I was under the believe that Proper DNA tests take a fair time to process and should be done in Forensic Laboratory.....all this rushed testing is crap and the pommy cops should insist on a proper forensic test, not just some local thai hospital.....

http://intrensic.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-does-dna-testing-take-so-long.html ..confirms this....thumbsup.gif

Im sure he would have done it at the beginning, but his family, gf and the police couldnt find him for a week even tho he was at his usual address the whole time, and by the time they did locate him the police had cleared him

You are repeating this "for a week" claim. Feel free to share with us where that comes from.

feel free to share with us how long it actually was, it doesnt change the fact that he went into hiding until the police cleared him

Edited by slygeeza
  • Like 1

feel free to share with us how long it actually was

You are the one repeatedly posting it, what is the source? Let me guess. Csila?

Not totally "surprised" by the statement / headline as it seems DNA was the only evidence that police presented to the prosecutor...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/772887-koh-tao-murders-lawyer-expresses-doubts-over-new-dna-test-offer

Huh???

Did you read the link?

The only evidence presented to the prosecutor is: DNA match...

That means for police, DNA Match means guilty of murder - DNA not match means not guilty of murder.

So... following police reasoning he is not the murderer as DNA does not match.

At least now we know how long it takes a corrupt government to try and cover up a crime, fail and find patsies, almost fail at that and then plant DNA or falsify results. 99% of the world doesn't believe you Thailand, and I am sure a large amount of those people will not forget this incident.

• Like 1

The UK Governent and that toffee nose UK PM should have insisted their police be free to do their own investigation or the UK would warn the UK people to stay away from Thailand. They should have a right to investigate murders of their own people.

Have the bodies been returned to the UK cannot remember reading if they had.

But that was a good point, the guys DNA did not match what was taken from the young girl, it only shows that he did not rape her.

I do not think these 2 guys will be found innocent, poor buggers.

Unless your from the UK, you have not right to call the PM a toffee nosed git, if your are from the the UK then that's ok...thumbsup.gif

and no the UK government cannot insist on anything in a foreign country, they can only do so if requested by the government/police of that country

of course in the days of Empire, if a native had killed a British national, they would have just sent a gunboat up the river and executed all the natives...simple.

Where is it written that they cannot insist upon it.

LOL even the FCO acknowledged that they have no authority in domestic Thai issues, but you want the UK police to insist?

At least now we know how long it takes a corrupt government to try and cover up a crime, fail and find patsies, almost fail at that and then plant DNA or falsify results. 99% of the world doesn't believe you Thailand, and I am sure a large amount of those people will not forget this incident.

99%??? Really? What orifice did that statistic come from?

SCAM! Impossible to get DNA testing done so quickly. The DNA testing was reported in the Nation today I believe. DNA testing without any baclog etc, just the actual testing takes 54 hours and 15 minutes on average. Read this; http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/dna-timeline.shtml A forensic analyst takes us step by step through the processes and tells us exactly how long each step takes. If this doesn't convince any doubters then I guess nothing will. Private companies with offer express DNA testing within 72 hours.....

If what you say is true Alwyn, I would hope the UK news agencies interview a leading DNA expert to verify this and also if true to rubbish the results produced by the Thai Police.

The link on my post takes you to a forensic expert who takes you through the processes, the site itself is a public training agency site. According to her it's just not possible to do it in less than 54 hours!

• Like 1

Its really such a pity this affair is done with such shady ways from day one-

Few people are interested in this foreseen outcome -

A nation where if your connected to ""high Places"" whispering boo is enough.

This Kid looked eerily similar to the CCTV footage we saw on the night of the crime.

We are told the boys father is connected to a certain person. (high up)

So we initially witnessed NO DNA tests and other bypasses of diligent detective work as far as this suspect is concerned.

Few of us expected a Positive finding today.

Now the Thais will expect us to watch their Kangaroo court with a degree of confidence.

As i said only the Junta fan club will be cheering as this Travesty of justice continues .

What a bone head : this is the police dummy. Everything is basically the same as it was under Pheu-Thai.

You may have missed it, but reform of the police is one of the stated goals of the junta. If Pheu-Thai were still in power, the case would have been closed within a week.

Police Eh?

How about the Bikini remarks ?

How about ""No Thai could do this " Remarks -

Who is the dummy?

Me?…The guy who feels this Military leader is not helpful and his influence appalling on top of his directives and comments ?

Or you - and guys like you who are apologists for a very wide spread propaganda machine?

Go look up Stockholm Syndrome

• Like 1

Fred Flinstone, on 31 Oct 2014 - 17:11, said:

On Sunday Night Australian TV are airing Cops caught on Hidden camera inThailand in a scam-

They *(Australia ) now devote a weekly show to Thai Corruption called Embassy-

This case is sure to make the grade -

As someone said it might even make a script for a movie - if it warns then i guess its useful.

Someone else seemed to take offence That i seem to have less confidence in the Justice system under the Thai Junta?

Thats amusing but hardly worth explaining why -

Seeing as how they seem to control that too.

Wrong, the show is Embassy - Bangkok, it is about the work the Australian Embassy does, so far, and we've only seen two episodes, there's no mention of "Thai Corruption."

I think it is time that any residents on Koh Tao to tell anything they know about that night - i know they wont tell the RTP due to mistrust but surely an appeal could be put out with an free english number to phone ( surely the parents / lawyers could do this)

I cannot understand why there is no conclusive evidence showing nomsod on the island( photos , witnesses seeing him in bar etc)

I am hoping that all British witnesses have told the police in england

I cannot understand why there is no conclusive evidence showing nomsod on the island( photos , witnesses seeing him in bar etc)

Have you considered the possibility that such evidence doesn't exists because he wasn't on the island at that moment?

Taken from an online PDF. The prosecution is going to need much more than a positive DNA result. It certainly does not prove murder.

16. What does it mean if the DNA does not match the suspect? What if
it does?
If DNA from biological material taken from a crime scene matches the DNA profi le
of a suspect, it shows, with high probability, that the suspect contributed the
biological material at the crime scene. If the DNA does not match the suspect, it
means that the suspect did not leave the biological material that was found at the
crime scene. In either case, DNA is only part of the evidence. A lack of DNA match
does not necessarily mean that the suspect is innocent, and a DNA match alone
does not prove that the suspect committed the crime. Most crimes are, in fact,
prosecuted without DNA evidence, and even when there is a DNA match, other
evidence is generally needed to prove the case (despite the impression given by
popular television shows). Besides resulting in a match or exclusion, DNA analysis can
also yield inconclusive results, for example, if the sample has been contaminated or
degraded or if it is insufficient to yield a reportable result.
  • Like 2