Prosecutor demands more evidence from the police handling Koh Tao case

Lite Beer

Shows that the power of social media!!clap2.gif Without us and all our fellow posters on Thai social media, the two scapegoats would have been convicted by now!!

Surely you jest... Quite high on yourself and the believe the whining and surmising on this site helped anything.cheesy.gif

Edited by poweratradio
  • Like 2

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't they use lie detectors in this country? I know it's not used in court but in this case surely the combined results of tests on the interrogators, RTP, suspects and maybe a few others would indicate where the BS lays.

Very glad to hear that, but am still surprised because usually police/prosecutor/judges in Thailand seem to be, how shall I put it, not stepping on each others turf.

If I was a cynic, I'd say it was the prosecutors way of negotiating a higher pay off. It shall not pass until I receive.......

Lucky I'm not a cynic. The guys being professional and detailed in his approach

I would think that the last person you would want as a translator for Rakhine from Arakan State would be a Rohingya and vice-versa. Too much is at stake for these young men. A court certified interpreter should have been used from the outset.

And whilst a defense lawyer was present?

Mind you, the court would probably certify the pancake guy if asked to do so.

A lot is being made of the interpreter and the language/ethnic problems that may have arisen. I posted some time ago that if the 2 in custody actually confessed would they have know exactly what they were confessing to? If in writing, what language was used? Maybe they were coerced into confessing to a capital crime, when in fact they thought they were being accused of not wearing a helmet whilst on a motorbike? It really makes ME wonder!

Meanwhile, lawyer Aung Myo Than, who represents the two Myanmar suspects in the case, commented that "Thai police should make sure they have concrete evidence before the suspects are charged in court, as they may face the death penalty. The police submitted the DNA test as the only evidence and not a single witness was present. That's why Koh Samui prosecutors returned the case to the Thai police to find further evidence. Now they want to conduct a DNA test again. We have to consult the two defendants whether they want to go ahead with the second DNA test."

It would depend on whether the DNA submission was an exact match or a partial match, or just an opinion. If it wasn't a perfect match, the B2 should be advised to not retake the test (for obvious reasons). And, as the case is now complete, the B2 cannot be forced to submit another DNA sample. Legally, any partial match would not be evidence that could pass beyond reasonable doubt as being reliable.

• Like 2

I heard from an deep background source that the pancake man has been waffling on what was actually said....

Probably knows what side is bread is buttered
With all the pressure the pancake man has probably flipped by now.

We can't be sure which side he's on.

Just when will someone have what it takes to close this 3 ring circus ?

The problem is that from the outset the powers that be went in into overdrive to celebrate as soon as the questionable arrests were made and it will be hard for all involved to let this go due to massive loss of face.

The PM said he would reward the investigators, words like ' international standard ', ' transparent ' etc, were used, the BIB's ' perfect ' case file keeps getting knocked back and so much more. In recent days the PM has claimed the British observers said the investigation was just how they would have handled it and the National Police Chief has threatened prosecution of those who continue to criticise.

Meanwhile the suspects are still in custody and although the BIB and govt have found them guilty in public they still haven't been asked to plead in court and god knows when that will be if the prosecutors aren't satisfied enough to indict so is it to be remand after remand until they are ?

So many important people have stuck their neck's out over this that it's hard to imagine anyone having the balls to mark the file ' No Proceedings ' and it has to raise concerns that the two suspects have to be found guilty.

Maybe the prosecutor is going to keep knocking the case back until the time limit for arrest runs out and the two can scuttle back to Myanmar.

So many theories, but who really knows. When the Brit police come out and say something, THEN it will be worth listening.

• Like 2

Something is very wrong with the title, as our dear general PM & RTP chief said the investigation was perfect & without any doubt....guess RTP & PM needs to employ a new set of prosecutors because this group doesn't seem to be on the same page as the government coffee1.gif

Remember the RTP's earlier "perfect case" ? Even the Deputy PM was cheering RTP for the arrest.

2014-09-17

BANGKOK: -- Surat Thani police yesterday arrested a British tourist after he was suspected to have connection with the deaths of two fellow Britons in Koh Tao off Surat Thani coast.

Police identified the British back packer as Christopher Alanvare.

Police said they arrested him after employees of a resort on the beach told police that Mr Christopher was seen strolling near the scene where the two British tourists were killed on the night of September 14.

Besides they also found a significant evidence which is a blood stain on his clothes.

Police said Christopher urgently left the popular diving paradise on the first ferry to the mainland the next day after the murder was discovered.

Just release the Burmese and make a token attempt to reinvestigate, after a few weeks put the file in UNSOLVED FERRANG MURDERS ( RTP WILL NEED TO GET A BIGGER FILLING CABINET) and carry on as normal

This is what will transpire, the real culprits will not be sought.

In January the British coroner will report, RTP will go into full defence mode

Within 12 months I predict a similar event will happen.....murder or rape of a ferrang.

Serial rapists and murders are on the loose....

• Like 2

Should've brought in Dirty Harry on this investigation.

My apologies in advance if anyone thinks this shows disrespect to the families of the victims.

The RTP have done that all by themselves by their public displays and charades and to cap it all publishing gruesome photographs of the

deceased.

The time has come for a massive shakedown and heads should be rolling right from the top downwards.

It looks like the prosecutors are seeing this as a very large hot potato which will need handling with great care.

As regards face saving exercises it's time these were abandoned in the name of reason, logic and justice (yes I know, a very large pill to swallow

for the Thai authorities, but swallow it they must to gain a modicum of respect from the rest of the world).

All they are doing is creating even more loss of face for the whole of Thailand.

Release the two Burmese immigrants into the care of their families, re-open the investigation and accept help from British and American

investigation teams.

It's no big deal any more.

Edited by pendingo

So at what point do the have to release these guys?

How many weeks now without being formally charged?

I have asked this, would be good to know at what point do they release them and who as the authority to do this?

I think they can ask for 12 days extension of custody, 6 additional times, after the first 12 days in custody, for a Total of 84 days, before they must be charged or released.

It is the 4th time the prosecutor has returned the case!!coffee1.gif

Unlike some posters here, he doubt the standard (or lack thereoff) of the work by the police force!!

The OP says 3rd time the file has been returned.

You think the KS prosecutors office are highly professional legal eagles, vetting this file with objectivity and an eye for justice?

Or, a little nervous at being involved with all the international attention, British police poking around, and well reported aspects of the case?

No one in Thailand would act on something like this, IME, without considering how it might benefit or adversely affect themselves. It might be the right thing to do, bit not so sure about the reasons for doing it.

It is the 4th time the prosecutor has returned the case!!coffee1.gif

Unlike some posters here, he doubt the standard (or lack thereoff) of the work by the police force!!

The OP says 3rd time the file has been returned.

You think the KS prosecutors office are highly professional legal eagles, vetting this file with objectivity and an eye for justice?

Or, a little nervous at being involved with all the international attention, British police poking around, and well reported aspects of the case?

No one in Thailand would act on something like this, IME, without considering how it might benefit or adversely affect themselves. It might be the right thing to do, bit not so sure about the reasons for doing it.

I believe that this public prosecutor had already agreed to take the case and report -then the htsi hit the fan and he didn't want to be the last signature to sign off on this load of hogwash. The judges would have met with the public prosecutor also and initially agree to seal the fate of the boys. The attention by media especially social media is the only thing that has stalled what the police were certain was a shoe in.

• Like 1

oh i get it, perhaps this is a back door for the police to get out of this mess, its the interpreters fault for lying to the police

Sounds plausible. Whatever gets these lads off death row. Either way the army prayuth the coppers the public prosecutor all look like plonkers. Deservedly so.

re-open the investigation and accept help from British and American

So by suggesting Americans get involved why exactly ?,

Are you suggesting the British coppers cant handle this without the US ?....ironic seeing as Britain "invented" modern police investigation techniques/methodology.

Or is it a case your from the US ?....and just couldn't help your help yourself waving "the flag" ?

For the record Soutpeel I'm from the UK so it's not a case of "waving the flag" for any one nation.

What I am suggesting is cooperation between countries when it comes to the murder of foreign nationals.

If the victims had been Americans I would have said the same thing.

I am not questioning the competence of the British police either as I'm sure they are quite capable.

However there is a history of successful cooperation between the British and American police when it comes to solving complex cases and that's why I suggested it.

So let's turn this on its head shall we as it looks like you are the one doing the flag waving from where I'm standing.

Edited by pendingo

re-open the investigation and accept help from British and American

So by suggesting Americans get involved why exactly ?,

Are you suggesting the British coppers cant handle this without the US ?....ironic seeing as Britain "invented" modern police investigation techniques/methodology.

Or is it a case your from the US ?....and just couldn't help your help yourself waving "the flag" ?

For the record Soutpeel I'm from the UK so it's not a case of "waving the flag" for any one nation.

What I am suggesting is cooperation between countries when it comes to the murder of foreign nationals.

If the victims had been Americans I would have said the same thing.

I am not questioning the competence of the British police either as I'm sure they are quite capable.

However there is a history of successful cooperation between the British and American police when it comes to solving complex cases and that's why I suggested it.

So let's turn this on its head shall we as it looks like you are the one doing the flag waving from where I'm standing.

I believe that the US have more advanced technology available in Thailand. So not a bad suggestion at all.

I still say if these kids were American the tanks would have been all over this case with no iffs or buts. Unlike her majesty's team.

I hope that good ol Uncle Sam may come out in public support of the Brits at some stage soon. This may lend a lot to what the Brits can achieve on the ground here

• Like 2

Doubt it....he is just symptomatic of the amateur nature of the whole investigation by the RTP regarding these two Burmese guys.

Who knows? allot of money been offered to false witnesses on the island, in this true life Thai soap opera nothing surprises me any longer.

Its not a Thai soap opera....its an investigation into two brutal murders.

Again very sadly it seems to be to so many about Thais or Thailand when it should be about finding and convicting murderers.

"Again very sadly it seems to be to so many about Thais or Thailand when it should be about finding and convicting murderers."

I personally think this case sums Thai's and Thailand up quite nicely. The overwhelming majority of Thai's are as corrupt as the officials, weather it be dual prices, selling rip offs, mafia type activities, all the way to devious BG's, everyone is involved.

Thailand's education system is a major cause, Thai's are NOT taught to think for themselves. Someone with money and/or power is some to trust and believe.

Where life and death is so cheap, money and face reign supreme and common sense is non existent...

RIP Thailand - you have had your day and are now under the worlds spotlight (for a multitude of things) you have way to comprehend what is happening to you and even less chance to manage or resolve it. The more Thailand says and does (or doesn't do) the worse it is and the more exposure it has.

It's all just way beyond them...

• Like 1

This is what, the second time the prosecutor has sent the brief back to police asking for more information. At least one person in the chain of this investigation understands how important this trial is going to be.

I think this is the 3rd and it sounds like the Prosecutor realises it is a set up and wants no part of it as it will tarnish his reputation. Good on him, sounds like a decent bloke.

• Like 1