Thirty day visa exempt question

My friend wants to fly in and get a visa exempt 30 days and then apply for an extension in BKK as his return ticket is 33 days after entering. do the airlines allow you to board if your return date is longer than the 30 days visa exempt duration? if so, at what point in the original 30 day stay can he apply for the extension and does it take effect on day 31 or the day he gets it?

Edited by AYJAYDEE

The extension is added on to the initial 30 days.

Some airlines do require that you have a ticketing exiting Thailand within 30 days of arrival. They do not take into account the fact that you can get an extension. You should contact them direct.

The extension is added on to the initial 30 days.

Some airlines do require that you have a ticketing exiting Thailand within 30 days of arrival. They do not take into account the fact that you can get an extension. You should contact them direct.

thank you wayne

i was just looking into this myself today as i want to stay around 40 days ,i couldn't really find anything about extending a visa exempt entry,they seem to recommend getting a tourist visa for 60 days if staying more than 30 days.

Not sure where you have been looking and who "they" are, but 30 days extensions are available since aug 29th.

However the tourist visa is cheaper.

Many airlines will not let you board your flight to Thailand if you don't have a visa unless you have a ticket exiting within 30 days of arrival.

IMHO if you want to spend 40 days here, the best thing for you to do is get a single entry tourist visa. It will get you 60 days on entry, will solve the possible airline boarding problem, save you the hassle of visiting immigration to get an extension and will actually cost less. The single entry visa will cost you 1000 baht (or equivalent in your money) and the extension would cost you 1900 baht (or more)!

wayned thats exactly what I'm doing.

paz below statement straight from royal thai consul uk website

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess a passport with at least 6 months validity and have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained prior to entry.

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess a passport with at least 6 months validity and have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained prior to entry.

Immigration do not check for exit tickets. You can read below what can be done to prevent problems at boarding

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

Immigration do not check for exit tickets. You can read below what can be done to prevent problems at boarding

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

So where is the info that says you can extend a visa exempt entry as stated above Thai consuls says to get a tourist visa if staying more than 30 days there is nothing about extending visa exempt entry.

I know you can extend tourist visa at local immigration but visa exempt can't find anything that says you can extend it.

So where is the info that says you can extend a visa exempt entry as stated above Thai consuls says to get a tourist visa if staying more than 30 days there is nothing about extending visa exempt entry.

I know you can extend tourist visa at local immigration but visa exempt can't find anything that says you can extend it.

The consulate doesn't know and doesn't care about extensions obtained in Thailand.

You can read clause 2.4

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

Clause 2.4 of immigration order 327/2557.

Also here in immigration announcement. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

Many airlines will not let you board your flight to Thailand if you don't have a visa unless you have a ticket exiting within 30 days of arrival.

Is there a list of these posted somewhere?

This is my experience with a UK passport. I have often traveled to Thailand without a visa or return ticket. Appearance matters. If you look prosperous, most airlines will accept your assurance that you travel in and out of Thailand regularly without problems. At worst, they will ask you to sign a form that indemnifies them from the responsibility of repatriating you if immigration refuse you entry. If you look as though you do not have the funds to buy your own air tickets if necessary, then you may have problems. (Looking like someone of substance also tends to smooth your way through Asian immigration controls.)