Tony Blair hopes there is an election in Thailand next year

Lite Beer

Tony Blair hopes there is an election in Thailand next year

Tony-Blair-hopes-there-is-an-election-in

BANGKOK: -- Former British prime minister Tony Blair expressed hope that there would be an election in Thailand next year so that democracy can be restored.

Mr Blair also suggested Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to explain to the international community about the political situation in Thailand and the attempts being undertaken by the government to reform Thailand and, eventually, to restore democracy.

Currently visiting Thailand, Mr Blair met about one hour with Prime Minister Prayut during which the visitor was briefed of the situation in the country, the plans being undertaken and to be undertaken, including national reform and reconciliation, said government spokesman YongyuthMaiyalarb.

Mr Blair reportedly said he understood political problem in Thailand was complicated and complex as he used to study Thai politics before his arrival here.

The former British prime minister also recommended that the government speed up the implementation of infrastructure projects for agricultural and health sectors as Thailand has high capacity in those areas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tony-blair-hopes-election-thailand-next-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-03

• Like 1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy body tony. Thai have democracy the thai way. Nothing to do with farang; especially British.

Dude this guy is a tool yes,but he does not speak for me and most of the people in my country and to be completely honest with you most people in England could not give two shits or a toss about what the Thai people do in there own country. This it just some political bullshit

• Like 2

we have not heard from the Generals spin team yet?

I was expecting "Ex British PM Blair totally supports the coup and thanked the Army for their action to save democracy and wondered why Great Britain did not follow Thailand's shining example"

• Like 2

The setting was very formal with flags showing as if this was some sort of official visit.

I would guess His Tonyness is well on his way now with a smirk on his face and slightly fuller pockets while a certain ambassador is in a darkened room, muttering to himself and banging his head against the wall.

• Like 1

And in Burkina Fasao- from the gov't press release: the UN envoy congratulates the General on his coup-- and advises him to broadcast his emminence and purity of heart to the Assembly

(and in fact, the UN envoy pulled no punches-- return to democracy or face sanctions!!!)

bUT- spin will not be lost on the gullible. For god's sake- think: who summarized this meeting? Does anybody seriously think that this press release actually captures the tone and substance of the encounter?

Could it have been other than a PR slot for the good General-- Does anybody on this board think that Tony Blair- like him or not (I don't) came without a full knowledge of the context for this coup?

Edited by blaze

Busy body tony. Thai have democracy the thai way. Nothing to do with farang; especially British.

There's only one Democracy,the Universal way or none at all,which ones yours?

Suriya

assuming you understand the concept of 'citizen'-- does Thai democracy provide equal opportunity for all citizens to participate in the shaping of the nation?

And the emphasis-- is on- as it has been from the time of the Greeks- ALL CITIZENS.

Does it?

and if not- by what standards do you call it a democracy-- (kind of like calling a snow shovel a brand muffin=-- ?)

• Like 1

Whatever Tony Blair hopes about the election in Thailand, it is not his business to make such suggestion.

Let Thai people do whatever the best for them. Why are all the Western people putting pressures on the Thai government.

Leave them alone.

Been to Iran lately- Cuba of ten years ago? NOrth Korea? Serbia until only a few years ago--

The west left them alone. Believe me- anyone caring about this country had better hope the west does not sever ties.

Do all Thais agree with you? that they want the west to butt out? How do we/you know that? Your Happiness polls? You don't have elections to guage public sentement-- so just maybe you are being a bit presumptive in speaking for the nation.

Maybe not everybody in Thailand agrees with your concept of inclusive government.

Or should we discount them-- as perhaps you do!

How far are you and your neighbors prepared to go it --alone

Edited by blaze

There's only one Democracy,the Universal way or none at all,which ones yours?

Now don't be silly. You might have a "Direct Democracy" or a kind of "Representative Democracy"

but there's no such thing as "Universal Democracy".

Even within the Representative Democracies there are at least another 20 types of Indirect Democracies.

I'm absolute sure, the democracy you grew up in, is a complete different kind of democracy, than the one I grew up with.

• Like 2