Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

By Khaosod Eng.

14151046531415104873l.jpg

BANGKOK — A 19-year-old Thai man has been arrested for allegedly robbing and attempting to rape a French tourist in Bangkok’s backpacker district early this morning.

The crime reportedly took place in Soi Samsen 3, several hundred metres away from Bangkok's famous Khaosan Road, at around 2.30 am today.

Police say Surasak Wanprapao, 19, hit the Frenchwoman in the head with a brick stone on Samsen Road before dragging her into a nearby alley, where he proceeded to steal her iPhone and cash.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1415104653

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-04

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tourists are so naive when they come here. How can someone mesmerize you with a smile one minute and take you for everything you have the next? It's so sad to see it in the news everyday.

Tourists... never go out in a group of friends less than three.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 2

Before someone has a go at them, plaudits to the Chanasongkram Police for nailing the cowardly little bastards.clap2.gif

Have they got them?

I'd say so.

Police say they arrested Surasak and Chuen Wamakhan, an accomplice who was allegedly serving as a lookout, shortly after the tourist filed a complaint.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1415104653

Edit to add.

I think the cops will be throwing the book at these guys following the KohTao tragedy. Just as a warning . Which of course will go unheeded by the street vermin.

Edited by ratcatcher

Oh dear...what has become of Thailand? The Land of smiles has become the Land of crimes..

What do you expect! When taxi driver have to be legal and vendors have to end their business cuz they were there illegally or on sidewalk or other reasons. These people are doing the next easiest gig without real work.

I dont see any in the story about attempted rape though. Maybe the writer got carried away with the headlines

• Like 1

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head--there is the Thailand experienced by us guys and the other one experienced by females.

I can see your point, and once again I'm not female but I think walking alone at 2 in the morning being a female wouldn't be advisable in any SE Asian country or probably western country.

It's not right and needs to change but it's not isolated to BKK or Thailand.

Hey, that's 50% safer than Detroit.

Even a guy isn't safe walking home alone in Detroit.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

People are commenting probably because this is a forum about Thailand. Stroll on!

And careful of that illusion that all appears safe here... newbies often tend to make that mistake and get complacent. If visitors would read the Thai tabloids, they probably wouldn't go out again.

• Like 1

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

I'd suggest the reaction comes when the crimes become more and more noticeable. If you care to read my previous post, it explains (at least) one point.

As to when - reading OSAP-records for past 10 years you'll see a trend. Still noting that BKK is one of the safest SEA-area capitals, but crime on increase.

People are commenting probably because this is a forum about Thailand. Stroll on!

And careful of that illusion that all appears safe here... newbies often tend to make that mistake and get complacent. If visitors would read the Thai tabloids, they probably wouldn't go out again.

I get that it's a forum about Thailand, I have lived here a while that's why I read and comment.

My point was people seem to making out likes it's a epidemic and a crime wave is going on, and another excuse for posters to lay crap on Thailand.

I agree newbies get complacent but again, newbies to London, NY and Sydney would fall for that trap and get themselves in trouble.

Unfortunately common sense is not that common.

• Like 1

There was an unreported sexual assault recently in Chiang Mai. From what I heard the police wouldn't even take the report, I'm guessing not to tarnish the image of the city and harm tourism, so signs were put up in the area where it happened alerting everyone it happened THERE. They have been taken down a few times, and new ones put back up.

These things happen all over the world, but drug use and booze increase the chances of it happening. Thailand is wrongly sold as paradise where it's totally safe to do anything you want, but that is not true.

• Like 1