Air France Flight From Paris to New York Turns Back After Severe Turbulence

Maestro

Air France Flight From Paris to New York Turns Back After Severe Turbulence

First published November 4th 2014, 6:08 pm

A transatlantic flight to New York was forced to turn back after encountering severe turbulence that was strong enough to injure three crew members, the airline said.
The Air France Airbus A380 had just left Paris when it "encountered strong turbulence at the beginning of the cruise phase" over northern England, Air France Spokesperson Ulli Gendrot told NBC News. Air France said three crew members suffered concussions and were treated when the aircraft, flight AF006, landed safely in Paris at 4:26 p.m. local time (10:26 a.m. ET). No passengers were injured, the airline added.

That must have been something referred to as "clear air turbulence." Turbulence associated with clouds and heavy rainfall such as thunderstorms can be seen on the aircraft's radar and avoided. It's nasty and dangerous but is avoided.

This might be wind shear where high winds coming from two different directions collide.

Whatever it was, you can bet it got everyone's attention really fast. I don't envy the pilots while getting hammered having to make the quick decision whether to make a difficult turn or try to get through it.

Actually the weight helps some due to inertia, but it still has enough wing and lift area to overcome the weight of the plane or it wouldn't fly. It will gather more of the turbulent air with its wings than would a small plane and if the turbulence it bad enough, it's getting hammered.

Super scary! I am sure the French will blame the English for all the hot air above their land! w00t.gif

Well, here, the first actual stupid xenophobic cheap joke about this case seems to have been made by an English 'gentleman', if I am to trust the flag that is shown on your profile photo.

For some people, every opportunity is good to bash the French, I guess. Does it make them look clever, I will let you judge for yourself! facepalm.gif

• Like 1

That must have been something referred to as "clear air turbulence." Turbulence associated with clouds and heavy rainfall such as thunderstorms can be seen on the aircraft's radar and avoided. It's nasty and dangerous but is avoided.

This might be wind shear where high winds coming from two different directions collide.

Whatever it was, you can bet it got everyone's attention really fast. I don't envy the pilots while getting hammered having to make the quick decision whether to make a difficult turn or try to get through it.

Probably CAT resulting from wind shear related to the jet stream, which drops further south during the winter months. During the summer months, the polar jet stays further north and is weaker, and less of a factor for oceanic flights. It's why on oceanic flights, the difference between westbound flight time and eastbound flight time is generally greatest during the winter, particularly at higher latitudes (the jets flow west to east). Pilots can access jet stream data prior to flight like any other weather data, but like any weather data, forecasts aren't a guarantee. There's actually a polar jet and a subtropical jet, and they're quite dynamic in terms of the paths they follow, the wind speeds involved, and their ability to split & recombine. For commercial air traffic, the main concern for the travelling public is probably just this, the turbulence associated with them.

This might give you a better idea...

I have flown abit, worse turbulence I experienced was approaching the coast of Japan from U.S. in summer 1983. The passengers and crew were "dead" silent and it was, without a doubt, a "white knuckle" experience. The plane sustained rises and sudden falls that I have never experienced before or after, "knock on wood"

Super scary! I am sure the French will blame the English for all the hot air above their land! w00t.gif

Well, here, the first actual stupid xenophobic cheap joke about this case seems to have been made by an English 'gentleman', if I am to trust the flag that is shown on your profile photo.

For some people, every opportunity is good to bash the French, I guess. Does it make them look clever, I will let you judge for yourself! facepalm.gif

Bashing the French will give the Thai bashers a rest I suppose?

• Like 1

Oh Come one of course we blame the English for the hot air.

We love to hate you and hate to love you damn rosbeef ;)

We love to hate you and hate to love you damn rosbeef wink.png

Not in my name.

I don't think that it's clever or funny to bash a whole group of persons because of their nationality or ethnicity. Just plain stupid, as are most generalisations... generally! wink.pngtongue.png

We love to hate you and hate to love you damn rosbeef wink.png

Maybe i hang up with very cool english people then because french / english bashing is a game we love to play

"you, the English... "

"you the French..."

Most of the English i met are quite pleased to bash me and the bloody arrogant french...I really think that it's now a part of the game now for most of the people of our countries do this without any real grief...even the Monty Pythons used the french a lot in their movies/tv show

And maybe i m wrong but i think Somtamnication wrote this only as a usual teasing...but maybe i m wrong

Not in my name.

I don't think that it's clever or funny to bash a whole group of persons because of their nationality or ethnicity. Just plain stupid, as are most generalisations... generally! wink.pngtongue.png

Hi hi!
You see the Frenchie also appreciate this wink.
On the subject I think this incident may not be justified a return to Paris, but given the new A380 and lack of perspective on this aircraft the pilot wisely chose caution
For once we are faultless wai.gif

Actually I think most (responsible) airlines are using extreme caution after the AF loss in the Atlantic, the Malaysia Airline business and various others incidents. Just as well.

I think the English bash the French far more than the opposite.

Edited by Gillyflower