New Ais Fiber net

shariq607

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don't do test on speedtest.

make it on different servers at testmy.net with manual download file of 50-100 mb (and also for upload too!)

and test it by downloading some popular torrents (legal if you want).

another testmy test at 20:00 or 22:00 will give us a better idea how bad it throttles internet at prime time.

Some hassles on Wednesday - the installer didn't show up when promised, I couldn't find anyone who knew anything (called 1185 select option 2 for English - "you need to call 1185" - I just did! - ok we will call you back in an hour - they do so but can't find my account - I give up!)

Installer calls me Thursday morning. Looks like they just gave me the wrong day. Whatever. Installation goes smoothly. Get a ZTE VDSL modem/router (default username/password is admin/system).

Having pilfered my service password from the installer's job sheet, as soon as he leaves I ditch the ZTE router and try out my Fritz!Box 7390. Works perfectly, unlike with True's VDSL service (which worked but had issues with SSL sites, for reasons I was never able to work out).

Try out some torrent downloading. Nothing appears to be blocked, downloading consistently at 3.6 MB/sec (this is a 30/10 service).

Downloads from my Australian ISP (Internode) are super fast. Speedtest from Internode Perth gives almost local speeds (this is about 2PM).

So far very happy. I'll run some more detailed tests and post results shortly (any recommendations other than speedtest.net?)

Some hassles on Wednesday - the installer didn't show up when promised, I couldn't find anyone who knew anything (called 1185 select option 2 for English - "you need to call 1185" - I just did! - ok we will call you back in an hour - they do so but can't find my account - I give up!)

Installer calls me Thursday morning. Looks like they just gave me the wrong day. Whatever. Installation goes smoothly. Get a ZTE VDSL modem/router (default username/password is admin/system).

Having pilfered my service password from the installer's job sheet, as soon as he leaves I ditch the ZTE router and try out my Fritz!Box 7390. Works perfectly, unlike with True's VDSL service (which worked but had issues with SSL sites, for reasons I was never able to work out).

Try out some torrent downloading. Nothing appears to be blocked, downloading consistently at 3.6 MB/sec (this is a 30/10 service).

Downloads from my Australian ISP (Internode) are super fast. Speedtest from Internode Perth gives almost local speeds (this is about 2PM).

So far very happy. I'll run some more detailed tests and post results shortly (any recommendations other than speedtest.net?)

testmy.net different servers with min. 50 mb manual download filesizes at day and primetime (20:00 - 21:00) and also at weekend if possible.

And perhaps some 100M file download tests (with 1 connection)

http://speedtest-ams2.digitalocean.com/

or

http://speedtest-ams2.digitalocean.com/100mb.test

for direct download.

and perhaps UK download test

http://speedtest-lon1.digitalocean.com/100mb.test

testmy.net different servers with min. 50 mb manual download filesizes at day and primetime (20:00 - 21:00) and also at weekend if possible.

or

for direct download.

getting 3-4 MByte/SEC on sfo, london, ams, nyc and sgp using cat on those links. would also like to know what AIS is getting.

However this looks alright now. Even speedtest was low before. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1426834566.867660.jpg

23 and 26 ms ping times on the couple of Speedtest.net site speed tests you posted above means you're testing against a Thailand-based (local) server in those instances -- not any international connection.

Any US or Europe connections are going to have ping times by sheer distance of 200-300 ms.

Also, torrent downloads, because they are multi-threaded, are an entirely different issue from single-thread download speeds that pertain when someone is, for example, watching a streaming video. The latter is what TestMy.Net measures.

or

for direct download.

getting 3-4 MByte/SEC on sfo, london, ams, nyc and sgp using cat on those links. would also like to know what AIS is getting.

You always fail to mention that you're using a premium / business fiber line that costs over 8000 baht. You can't compare apples to bananas.

or

for direct download.

You always fail to mention that you're using a premium / business fiber line that costs over 8000 baht. You can't compare apples to bananas.

I wasn't comparing, just interested to know what Ais is getting, as the vdsl service is available in my other condo in downtown thong lo. Since cat does not want to run fiber up to my floor.

Dear All,

I have been reading the latest posts and I am a little bit confused.

The answer that everyone wants to know is if AIS is doing better than CAT or TRUE with the VDSL ?

Also streaming test of video in Europe and/or in US can be a good indicator of the ISP performance.

Also I am agree with Muratremix the comparison should be made based with the HOME package not with the PROFESSIONAL package.

My building will get AIS and TRUE fiber and I want to make the right choice.

Have a nice day,

Matbkk

• 5 weeks later...

I wasn't comparing, just interested to know what Ais is getting, as the vdsl service is available in my other condo in downtown thong lo. Since cat does not want to run fiber up to my floor.

AIS has a bunch of business options, you could compare with that

post-20814-0-66669800-1429703698_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

My AIS Fibre (Fiber) story:

I found out about the new AIS Fibre availability in March when they had a stand at our Condo Owners' AGM. They told me that the building was already wired and gave me an advertising leaflet. I did a bit of online research and found the posts above which are very useful.

Previously I had TOT at 12mbs down and 512kbs up (speed tested at 10mbs down and 300kbs up). Generally it was reliable however connection out of LOS to overseas servers were very slow. I mainly use for general surfing, email and Skype with occasional software downloads. Also streaming BBC radio and Spotify. Not into downloading movies so download speed was ok. The problem I had was that Skype calls were often poor quality or disconnected due to the slow upload speed.

I went to the AIS Fibre sign up website in (English) on Monday 23rd March. Filled it in and submitted. On Tuesday morning I got a call from AIS asking if I had a current provider (told them I did) and they told me to ask for termination of ADSL first. I called TOT and they told me to go the one of their service centres - thankfully only 10 minutes away. TOT were very helpful and asked why I was leaving so told them that AIS were offering faster for less - they tried to keep me as a customer, but their uploads, even on expensive packages were still only 1mbs. TOT processed the termination request and told me it would be disconnected that day. My phone line was not affected and neither number nor phone service changed.

I went home and called AIS. They then asked me when I wanted it installed. I asked, hopefully, for tomorrow (Wednesday) and to my surprise they asked "what time?". 11:00am was agreed. Later on Tuesday my TOT ADSL went dead (as expected).

On Wednesday morning I got a call from the AIS engineer apologising for being late (traffic etc.). Anyway she arrived only 15 minutes late. She had a bag, laptop and the new VDSL router. She set to removing the old router and plugging in the new one. Then she got on the phone to her exchange engineer to get the line switched. She asked me to enter an SSID and Password into the router for the WiFi. She gave me a contract (12 months) to sign and asked for a copy of my passport. NO payment needed either upfront or on installation.

From reading a post above I was aware that they will not normally give out the VDSL router password so as she was setting up the router I snapped a picture of the worksheet with my phone. So I now have the VDSL password in case I ever need to install my own hardware.

In all it took about 30 minutes from her arriving to me having substantially faster internet. I'm on the 15/5mbs package at just 750 Baht per month. Running speed test I'm getting 12mbs down and 6mbs upload so am very happy. The AIS speeds out of the country are double (or more) than what I was getting with TOT.

All in all it took 48 hours to switch to AIS and I'm very happy so far.

The only problem I have is paying the bill. I am away for Thailand for the next few months so need to ensure that the service doesn't get disconnected (I rent out the condo to guests when not there). For now I have a friend pay the bill but want to do it online in future. The AIS website asks for AIS Fibre number and ID card no. When I enter these it tells me that it's incorrect. When I call AIS contact centre and select English it tells me that all agents are busy and they will call me back - but never do so I'm not able to get this resolved.

Does anyone know how to pay AIS Fibre bills by Bank Transfer or by Debit/ATM Card online?

Does anyone know how to pay AIS Fibre bills by Bank Transfer or by Debit/ATM Card online?

I pay all of my bills using Bangkok Banks online banking service. My wife uses SCB for her bills. It's relatively easy to setup a new bill payment on both so long as you have the two reference numbers from the statement you receive in the mail.

Did you try calling the normal AIS 1175 line? I called them a few days ago regarding my mobile bill and out of curiosity asked the CR if he could check if Fibre was available in my area. He was able to... so maybe someone at that line might be able to help you?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the new ais fibre haven't measured the speed but streaming and video chat seems much better to the states

than with 3bb copper.

also they are giving me and android tv box preloaded and a month of free movies from a new start up movie service

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/543475/ais-inaugurates-fibre-optic-system

post-7295-0-73718500-1431997941_thumb.jp

This appears to be the main AIS FibreNet webpage in English for their service, with a phone number of 1185:

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/#1

My home is on a medium size soi right in the heart of Bangkok, and they still aren't offering that service here. Checked their website for my home location again today, and still no joy.

Package pricing here:

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

post-58284-0-77342500-1432023431_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Archived