New Ais Fiber net

shariq607

I got AIS fibre as well and getting FREE EPL legally too. So far seems ok, it says fibre in my condo but it actually connects using ADSL. The technician says the cable(fibre optic) is wired through the building.

ADSL doesn't support Upload speeds over 2Mbit.

They use VDSL2 from fiber box to your home or condo to deliver internet.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, anybody got AIS fiber ? How is it compared to standard ADSL where you live ? At least not worst than adsl ?

How possible that they connect this fiber to your existing wall socket ? It means that fiber go through copper wire before the router?

Thank you.

Hello, anybody got AIS fiber ? How is it compared to standard ADSL where you live ? At least not worst than adsl ?

How possible that they connect this fiber to your existing wall socket ? It means that fiber go through copper wire before the router?

Thank you.

I got AIS fibre as well and getting FREE EPL legally too. So far seems ok, it says fibre in my condo but it actually connects using ADSL. The technician says the cable(fibre optic) is wired through the building.

It could be VDSL2 but they tell me its not VDSL, they say fibre optic.

It could be VDSL2 but they tell me its not VDSL, they say fibre optic.

Sometimes the ISP will run Fiber Optic to a common point (a street box or secure Condo closet) then do a media conversion from Fibre Optic to VDSL or Ethernet for the rest of the short run. The same service gets delivered, and can still be considered Fiber as far as billing and promotional offers go.

What connector type do you have running to your router?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Those 1 Gbps packages look so tempting!

Used to pay similar for 2 Mbps...sure the leased line had better latency despite being 0.2% the capacity.... also doubt 1 Gbps applies to servers beyond bkk... but still sounds good!

1gbit fiber internet in singapore is 50 SGD = 37 usd.

1gbit in hong kong starts from 26 usd

So no, 1gbit in Thailand is not tempting at all. It is overpriced and has bad international connections and throttled very heavily.

Used to pay similar for 2 Mbps...sure the leased line had better latency despite being 0.2% the capacity.... also doubt 1 Gbps applies to servers beyond bkk... but still sounds good!

So no, 1gbit in Thailand is not tempting at all. It is overpriced and has bad international connections and throttled very heavily.

So why are you comparing with SG and HK and not with mozanbic or even canada?

This is thailand, these are the prices for thailand and it's a great price for thailand.

You could always compare with canada where 15/5 is 60$+tx capped at 75gb downloads

So why are you comparing with SG and HK and not with mozanbic or even canada?

This is thailand, these are the prices for thailand and it's a great price for thailand.

You could always compare with canada where 15/5 is 60$+tx capped at 75gb downloads

Why not?

For 1gbit residential home internet prices to be tempting, it should be cheap, not 30 times more expensive than nearby countries.

If you can afford 30k baht for 1gbit slow internet in here, I recommend you move to singapore and the difference can pay half of your rent.

I would also argue, what's the point for most farangs here of paying exhorbitant prices for high-end Thai internet packages that ONLY provide decent speeds in country, but are totally lacking in international capacity.

Frankly, IME, once you've covered the basics with a reasonable package, it's probably a better expenditure to find a good VPN service that's going to have good-speed connections to the places you want to go, as well as helping to avoid the throttling that the Thai ISPs typically do for their international connections -- regardless of what local speed plan you've subscribed to.

Never said the 1Gbps was cheap, or good value for everyone, but it is tempting for me (I have strange use cases that would actually make it worth the cost).

Also note, the latest price on the website is now down to 20k for the Gbps.

And comparing prices to other countries is pretty pointless, since this is a Thai forum and most of us live here.

Here 1 Gbps is a very niche premium product that has only recently been available, other countries have better infrastructure that makes it more mainstream and therefore affordable. But we live here, so have choices limited to here.

Just like comparing a mercedes here or Germany or NZ lamb prices....we're here and all prcies are different, fried rice is $1 not $20 though!

One thing I would be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with is how far the higher speed packages reach?

Also is there a noticeable cutoff point?

If max speed only comes close to BKK servers then pointless.

But if it reaches say Singapore with a good percentage of the rated package then that would be worth the cost - lots of servers, cdn, big names in Singapore.

Anyone have firsthand experience on this with say 50Mbps+ on AIS?

Heard a while back when true launched high speed packages (100Mbps at the time) that most cutoff at 30Mbps, interested to see how the new options compare or improvements have advanced.

Never said the 1Gbps was cheap, or good value for everyone, but it is tempting for me (I have strange use cases that would actually make it worth the cost).

Also note, the latest price on the website is now down to 20k for the Gbps.

And comparing prices to other countries is pretty pointless, since this is a Thai forum and most of us live here.

Here 1 Gbps is a very niche premium product that has only recently been available, other countries have better infrastructure that makes it more mainstream and therefore affordable. But we live here, so have choices limited to here.

Just like comparing a mercedes here or Germany or NZ lamb prices....we're here and all prcies are different, fried rice is $1 not $20 though!

One thing I would be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with is how far the higher speed packages reach?

Also is there a noticeable cutoff point?

If max speed only comes close to BKK servers then pointless.

But if it reaches say Singapore with a good percentage of the rated package then that would be worth the cost - lots of servers, cdn, big names in Singapore.

Anyone have firsthand experience on this with say 50Mbps+ on AIS?

Heard a while back when true launched high speed packages (100Mbps at the time) that most cutoff at 30Mbps, interested to see how the new options compare or improvements have advanced.

1gbit is domestic only. These are residential plans, not business plans.

a 6000-7000 baht/month 30-50 mbit cat business plan fiber internet indeed provides 30mbit international connection on a single thread (speedtest / testmy.net)

If you need fast internet, hear my advice, move to singapore or hong kong. You probably did not born here and you're an expat like the rest of us. It means you can choose where to live.

• 1 month later...

Thank you.

I just got AIS Fibre 30Mbs/10Mbs. The speed tests show that I am getting at least the speeds stated.

However, torrent downloads are very slow. Before with 3BB 15mbs/1Mbs I could get speeds up to 1MBs but with the faster optic fiber I can only get around 400KBs. Perhaps there are settings I need to change.

Direct downloads seem to range between 1 and 1.4 MBs which is also a little disappointing.

A lot of the well-known speedtest sites used in Thailand, including those hosted by the major ISPs, are rigged to basically give false results. You're getting the speed from your location just to their server and the connection may well be cached. Most of the time, they'll give you a speed that pretty much matches exactly whatever service plan you have from your ISP.

But, even with real results, the speeds you get to sites/locations INSIDE Thailand ought to be faster than those to locations OUTSIDE Thailand, because 1] the domestic sites are closer and the data has less distance to travel, and b] the international traffic has to travel farther and also has to travel over other parties' international data lines, where the throughput is likely to be throttled.

So, testing to some site/server outside Thailand also is not going to give you a real accurate sense of your internet connection to sites located inside Thailand. For testing domestic connections, in my experience, speedtest.or.th seems to give better/more accurate domestic results than others like speedtest.net or any of the ISP hosted tests.

Speed tests are not rigged. Its operator error when a person thinks he will get the same speed outside Thailand that he does inside. Anything over 10mb you are wasting money as you wont get much more going to outside servers. The speeds advertised are based on results from inside Thailand tests and not outside. In Phuket I could only get 10/2 speeds max when testing to outside server. That was plenty fast to do all the media streaming I ever wanted which, included streaming IPTV. Im here in UAE now and have 10 here also. Plenty enough speed to use Kodi all night long without buffering here either.

Speed tests are not rigged. Its operator error when a person thinks he will get the same speed outside Thailand that he does inside. Anything over 10mb you are wasting money as you wont get much more going to outside servers. The speeds advertised are based on results from inside Thailand tests and not outside. In Phuket I could only get 10/2 speeds max when testing to outside server. That was plenty fast to do all the media streaming I ever wanted which, included streaming IPTV. Im here in UAE now and have 10 here also. Plenty enough speed to use Kodi all night long without buffering here either.

People have been posting on TV forums for years saying the isp's are tricking the system or some other words. They try to explain to someone how the speed results are fixed and that someone doesn't understand "that the speedtests are fixed". I would say that the persons saying that the isp's are rigging things does not understand how isp and server caching works.

Many times a speed test site has worked well. That site gets mentioned and many people start testing using that site. Then the site gets cached and the results are then skewed.

People have been posting on TV forums for years saying the isp's are tricking the system or some other words. They try to explain to someone how the speed results are fixed and that someone doesn't understand "that the speedtests are fixed". I would say that the persons saying that the isp's are rigging things does not understand how isp and server caching works.

Many times a speed test site has worked well. That site gets mentioned and many people start testing using that site. Then the site gets cached and the results are then skewed.

Agreed. I think it also depends on the caching method used by the ISP. For example I have definitely seen the caching effect when using a TRUE connection (at least in the past) but I have never seen any evidence of that when using TOT.

Thank you.

I just got AIS Fibre 30Mbs/10Mbs. The speed tests show that I am getting at least the speeds stated.

However, torrent downloads are very slow. Before with 3BB 15mbs/1Mbs I could get speeds up to 1MBs but with the faster optic fiber I can only get around 400KBs. Perhaps there are settings I need to change.

Direct downloads seem to range between 1 and 1.4 MBs which is also a little disappointing.

Just to check. Is your torrent download situation improve? I also interested to move from ToT fiber to this. Need your feedback

I think each isp has their own server cache. Maybe some would share a server, but I still think they would have separate cache.

Yes I think so too. But what I meant is that, in the past (haven't bothered for a while) I have run speedtests using a TRUE DOCSIS connection and the international speedtest results have been artificially high and that can be confirmed by the ping times.

However, when on a TOT (ADSL or FTTH) connection the results seem realistic and consistent with the real world experience.

That's not to say that I have ever thought that TRUE do that intentionally as a kind of trick. I don't believe they would be that stupid. It is just an unintended consequence of caching, as you say.

For AIS, I would get a hong kong vpn (probably best) or singapore vpn (might work too) to bypass throttling.

I get 90% of advertised speed on a single connection with my singapore vpn (privately installed on vps server, not shared public service)

What speed is this at?

And would like to repeat one of my previous requests since no meaningful answers... anyone with higher end(50Mb-1Gb) packages (ais or alternatives) how does your speed hold up internationally?

I am fully aware that full speed is domestic at best. Reports suggest that up to 30Mb may deliver similar to international connections, higher peaks out on international and faster is only to Bangkok.

Big question, has anyone on say a 100Mb connection got that reliably to as far as Singapore(which typically compares to domestic speeds)? If so, how about 500 or 1Gb? And throw a high speed vpn on top, is it possible to extend globally(vpn speed permitting)?

i have 50-10 and my upload holds.. My download not so much even mornings.

Lots of stuff seems to be throttled... Torrents randomly drop to 0 then go back up, twitch streams drops every couple mins(Even mornings) etc etc

Gonna try to play around on a VPN soon to see if theres a difference

For AIS, I would get a hong kong vpn (probably best) or singapore vpn (might work too) to bypass throttling.

I get 90% of advertised speed on a single connection with my singapore vpn (privately installed on vps server, not shared public service)

What speed is this at?

And would like to repeat one of my previous requests since no meaningful answers... anyone with higher end(50Mb-1Gb) packages (ais or alternatives) how does your speed hold up internationally?

I am fully aware that full speed is domestic at best. Reports suggest that up to 30Mb may deliver similar to international connections, higher peaks out on international and faster is only to Bangkok.

Big question, has anyone on say a 100Mb connection got that reliably to as far as Singapore(which typically compares to domestic speeds)? If so, how about 500 or 1Gb? And throw a high speed vpn on top, is it possible to extend globally(vpn speed permitting)?

My speed is 30/3 but True always provides 10% extra, so it is like 33/3.3 mbit.

With l2tp vpn on my router (openvpn is cpu hungry, max 10mbit at 99% cpu), I get 26-27 mbit in testmy.net speedtest, a bit more in speedtest.net, 4000 kbyte/sec in single connection download from Singapore servers, 3.6 mbyte/sec downloads from my france server with 10 connection http downloads.

For those interested to know, the AIS Fibre Customer Support is terrible, I subscribed with them for one month and now I have cancelled my contract. My condo had a internet problem and called them to fix and its been 5 days and nothing is being done. I have been calling them so many times and all they said it to call you back.The customer support staff have no idea how to handle, so they just tell you they will call back without doing anything. They dont care if you have problems. I have gone back to 3bb. Never had a problem with 3bb or true internet.

For those interested to know, the AIS Fibre Customer Support is terrible, I subscribed with them for one month and now I have cancelled my contract. My condo had a internet problem and called them to fix and its been 5 days and nothing is being done. I have been calling them so many times and all they said it to call you back.The customer support staff have no idea how to handle, so they just tell you they will call back without doing anything. They dont care if you have problems. I have gone back to 3bb. Never had a problem with 3bb or true internet.

I agree. tried to get AIS installed. 3 weeks of shop visits, call centre calls, different stories etc. Gave up and went to Sinet. 3-4 days from 1st call to install, did what they said when they said. No problems

AIS are hopeless to deal with.

Archived