New Ais Fiber net

shariq607

I would love to see someone posts pings and trace routes to overseas servers from the different Thai service providers to compare performance for real time applications like VoiP , Skype, gaming etc. Also how much better is the latency on the business grade plans?

In all it took about 30 minutes from her arriving to me having substantially faster internet. I'm on the 15/5mbs package at just 750 Baht per month. Running speed test I'm getting 12mbs down and 6mbs upload so am very happy. The AIS speeds out of the country are double (or more) than what I was getting with TOT.

That's great connection service! "Speed test" is largely irrelevant to your actual experience . Latency and ping times to overseas servers would be more relevant. You connection "speed" really is your bandWIDTH... with width of the pipe you have connecting you up & down to throw data through. A wide pipe can help reduce latency or lag because it doesn't get as cluttered.

Hello, anybody got AIS fiber ? How is it compared to standard ADSL where you live ? At least not worst than adsl ?

How possible that they connect this fiber to your existing wall socket ? It means that fiber go through copper wire before the router?

Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2

I am really dissapointed with my AIS fiber, 3bb standard was far superior especially on all non-thai sites

Often the quality of your ISP is more important than your connection bandwidth to the local exchange....

It could be VDSL2 but they tell me its not VDSL, they say fibre optic.

They lie! Such publicity and advertising would be illegal in most of the western world. The guy earlier saying it is in effect fibre must be a salesman. All VDSL uses fibre to the VDSL box since it's inception in 1991 (published spec) with actual implementation occurring in 2000.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I see what people do online I really wonder who needs such speed...

Actually everyone........ the wider the pipe the less clutter and less lag. You will notice the biggest difference getting to 3-5Mbs upload.

speedtest whitin thailand are rigged. You have to test outside. Even on 3bb 50/10 i get 58/13 on thai but outside i get anywhere frmo 15/6 to 35/11, never more

Well anyone testing the bandWIDTH available would use a local server. You are testing if your pipe is working correctly. How fast the connection to other servers in the world is a completely separate issue.

For AIS, I would get a hong kong vpn (probably best) or singapore vpn (might work too) to bypass throttling.

I get 90% of advertised speed on a single connection with my singapore vpn (privately installed on vps server, not shared public service)

I have unverified reports of superior pings and latency from Phuket than BBK possibly because the Thai ISP's likely connect to the western world via Fibre links through SG. If this is true to operate an international business with quality VoiP lines and connections from Phuket may be advantageous over BKK or Pattaya? In Phuket an SG VPN would definitely be superior.

It doesn't work that way.

Although EU / Singapore connections via Songkla / Satun fiber points, a typical user is connected to main location (BKK) first, and then to the outside world.

Remember, this is not a train.

Proof: Prince of Songkla Univ

mtr mon-srt.psu.ac.th

Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. 128.199.127.253 0.0% 6 4.0 1.2 0.3 4.0 1.4
2. 103.253.144.237 0.0% 6 0.4 0.3 0.3 0.4 0.0
3. p45629.sgw.equinix.com 0.0% 6 4.4 5.6 4.3 8.9 1.6
4. 123.84.50.182.crs-bb-ix-jastel.co.th 0.0% 5 30.9 29.6 27.9 31.6 1.6
5. 1.9.241.189 0.0% 5 36.5 36.5 36.4 36.5 0.0
6. 10.55.96.172 0.0% 5 116.8 57.8 37.4 116.8 34.4
7. 1.9.244.210 0.0% 5 58.2 58.3 58.2 58.5 0.0
8. ipt242_bkk.violin.co.th 0.0% 5 60.4 58.4 56.8 60.4 1.2
9. 100.64.251.134 0.0% 5 78.3 77.4 75.6 78.6 1.0
10. 202.28.221.22 0.0% 5 73.3 73.5 73.3 74.0 0.0
11. ???

Goes to Bangkok, then to University via Jastel (3BB)

Usually bangkok pings are 32 - 40 ms from Singapore.

And this:

Trang Province" country="Thailand" cc="TH" sponsor="Computer Center, Prince of Songkla University"

mtr mon-trg.psu.ac.th

Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. 128.199.127.253 0.0% 3 1.3 0.8 0.6 1.3 0.0
2. 103.253.144.237 0.0% 3 0.6 0.5 0.3 0.6 0.0
3. p45629.sgw.equinix.com 0.0% 3 3.5 3.4 1.6 5.1 1.7
4. 218.84.50.182.crs-bb-ix-jastel.co.th 0.0% 3 3.2 2.5 1.7 3.2 0.0
5. 57.84.50.182.crs-bb-ix-jastel.co.th 0.0% 3 31.3 31.0 30.6 31.3 0.0
6. 182.84.50.182.crs-bb-ix-jastel.co.th 0.0% 3 29.6 29.9 29.6 30.4 0.0
7. mx-ll-110.164.1-96.static.3bb.co.th 0.0% 3 29.0 28.9 28.9 29.0 0.0
8. mx-ll-110.164.1-137.static.3bb.co.th 0.0% 3 28.9 28.9 28.9 29.0 0.0
9. mx-ll-110.164.159-162.static.3bb.co.th 0.0% 3 47.4 45.7 44.9 47.4 1.4
10. mx-ll-110-164-188-238.static.3bb.co.th 0.0% 3 46.1 45.1 44.6 46.1 0.7
11. ???

For AIS, I would get a hong kong vpn (probably best) or singapore vpn (might work too) to bypass throttling.

I get 90% of advertised speed on a single connection with my singapore vpn (privately installed on vps server, not shared public service)

What speed is this at?

And would like to repeat one of my previous requests since no meaningful answers... anyone with higher end(50Mb-1Gb) packages (ais or alternatives) how does your speed hold up internationally?

I am fully aware that full speed is domestic at best. Reports suggest that up to 30Mb may deliver similar to international connections, higher peaks out on international and faster is only to Bangkok.

Big question, has anyone on say a 100Mb connection got that reliably to as far as Singapore(which typically compares to domestic speeds)? If so, how about 500 or 1Gb? And throw a high speed vpn on top, is it possible to extend globally(vpn speed permitting)?

Here's a couple tests I just did now. I have the 50/20 package and internationally I get around 30-35.

ais_speedtest.JPG

ais_speedtest_us.JPG

post-242916-0-08648000-1442134490_thumb.

post-242916-0-87951500-1442134500_thumb.

from phuket

X6I03wj.png

IKRdpWJ.png

im also wondering how i ping 3-4ms to my first hop on fiber.. In canada people had 0-1 to the first few hops.

Is it the MTU that's too high? It's set at 1500 in the modem even though its ppoe

3BB likes to use VDSL2 to deliver fiber packages home. Depending on your distance to fiber box, 3-4ms is pretty acceptable for vdsl2.

If it is fiber to home, first hop might be in another city instead of local router. That explains 3-4 ms ping.

its fiber directly and im in the main city, the central is not that far from here.

Installation was cheaply done. Wire from the pole tacked on my house. Massive ammount of rolled wire behind my desk. 2 holes behind the modem inaccessible because of too much fiber rolled up there as well.

Modem fiberhome does not even deliver to my second floor bedroom @ 120% power

Also does not explain ping time to bangkok. It's just 900km. On DSL in my country i would ping 15-35ms to stuff that was 2500km away with a first hop of 8-12

Modem fiberhome does not even deliver to my second floor bedroom @ 120% power

Are you talking about WiFi signal not reaching your second floor bedroom (even at 120% power)?

I hope you understand that WiFi is a separate and independent component.

If your WiFi Access Point (or WiFi Router) has external antennas, try tilting them so the 'flat' surface of the antenna is facing the area you want to use the signal in.

If the antenna is oriented line so | the signal propagation will be < << | >> >

So tile the antenna or antennas to where you want the signal to be sent and received.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I will apply for AIS fiber but i do not want to use the old condo telephone cable that has not been changed for 10 years since the building exist.

Do you know how much I will have to pay to bring the fiber at the 15th floor of the condo ?

Thank you.

While you can ask, the AIS (or any other ISP installing Fiber) may not run the actual Fiber Optic line directly to your 15th floor condo due to cost and physical restrictions of deploying fiber. Most likely the fiber medium will be converted from Fiber Optic to vDSL Service in one of the main floor communications closets, where they'll want to use the building's existing wiring to deliver the signal the rest of the way.

So there are possible scenarios:

1. AIS runs the fiber optic line (not telephone cable) directly to your 15th floor residence. This is unlikely.

2. AIS runs the fiber optic line to a near ground-floor communications closet where the signal is converted to vDSL and then run a new copper telephone cable to your 15th floor residence to complete the install. This too is unlikely.

3. AIS runs the fiber optic to a near-ground-floor closet and converts it to vDSL, and, rather than use the existing copper telephone line, you arrange with the condo management to install a dedicated copper telephone line AIS can use directly terminating in your 15th floor residence. I don't see this happening quickly, or cheaply -- if at all.

4. AIS uses the building's existing 10-year old copper wiring to deliver the signal to your 15th floor residence. All works out as planned.

As for cost, you'll need to ask your condo management how much to run a dedicated copper telco or Ethernet line. They're usually the ones who approve and authorize the work on building infrastructure.

Thank you for your reply, but the worst that could happen is number 2 and I am sure that number 1 will be what will really happen.

I have no problem bribing the whole condo management and AIS guy to make sure that I get what I want.

I won't let them connect the 10 years old shit copper that is certainly oxidized, so why being stupid and let them install a new copper telephone cable when it is exactly the same job to install the fiber directly to my condo ? It seems so stupid even though I exactly know where we are living, but money talks...

No offense, not sure how your manage your world, but mine always work exactly as I want, here or anywhere else...

• 1 month later...

Although EU / Singapore connections via Songkla / Satun fiber points, a typical user is connected to main location (BKK) first, and then to the outside world.

Well that is madness for Thai ISPs not to make a gateway straight to SG from Phuket & decentralise BKK from some international traffic. I guess they are being cheap....

Well that is madness for Thai ISPs not to make a gateway straight to SG from Phuket & decentralise BKK from some international traffic. I guess they are being cheap....

ISPs generally don't foot the bill for laying and maintaining undersea cables. They can only lease what the 'market' has already installed, and the 'market' will go where the big money is, and I would assume that would primarily always be Bangkok.

Also, investing big money on 'connecting infrastructure' anywhere near a southern Thai border carries big risks of sabotage.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have details on the actual difference between Home and Professional? The advert/web-site seems to almost suggest that its nothing more than having a static IP. An actual technical explanation would have been preferred :)

• 5 months later...
On 3/30/2016 at 10:45 PM, JayBird said:

Anyone have details on the actual difference between Home and Professional? The advert/web-site seems to almost suggest that its nothing more than having a static IP. An actual technical explanation would have been preferred :)

I agree I am lost.

When I applied 1 year ago I have choosen an "Home Package" it is paid on the same billing as my phone line which is under company.

When I saw the new attractive rates I wanted to upgrade from 15/5 @ 590 THB to 50/10 @ 888 THB.

Unfortunatelly it is not possible as now they do not accept contract under company with a PowerHome package...

So I can keep my actual home package but it is impossible to change it unless I go to the PowerPro rates.

When I read the terms and conditions I do not see any differences...

1 hour ago, matbkk said:

I agree I am lost.

When I applied 1 year ago I have choosen an "Home Package" it is paid on the same billing as my phone line which is under company.

When I saw the new attractive rates I wanted to upgrade from 15/5 @ 590 THB to 50/10 @ 888 THB.

Unfortunatelly it is not possible as now they do not accept contract under company with a PowerHome package...

So I can keep my actual home package but it is impossible to change it unless I go to the PowerPro rates.

When I read the terms and conditions I do not see any differences...

The major difference between the two packages is that the PowerHome you are effectively put on a private network behind a firewall and not on the public internet itself.  You have the same public IP address as a large number of other people.  Any "advanced" internet services are not guaranteed to work on the private network the same way as on a public internet.  Also because you are already going through a "wall" of sorts and the address translated to 10.1.x.x before it even reaches your router... it will slightly affect performance (assuming it will work exactly the same).   Your application may not be able to open a port (or you manually) on the public router so that other peer-to-peer network transmissions can find you (torrenting, gaming, and before services like Skype [though I think MS changed the structure now] could/would be affected).

The PowerPro package has the same configuration that you would get on something like 3bb ADSL (but at higher speed).  

The reason for the difference is because the supply for IPv4 addresses have virtually run out and are in short supply and for some reason the world has been sluggish on ditching it and moving to the new IPv6 standard ....  

On the bright side though apparently they assign IPv6 addresses (which is uncommon in Thailand).

37 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The major difference between the two packages is that the PowerHome you are effectively put on a private network behind a firewall and not on the public internet itself.  You have the same public IP address as a large number of other people.  Any "advanced" internet services are not guaranteed to work on the private network the same way as on a public internet.  Also because you are already going through a "wall" of sorts and the address translated to 10.1.x.x before it even reaches your router... it will slightly affect performance (assuming it will work exactly the same).   Your application may not be able to open a port (or you manually) on the public router so that other peer-to-peer network transmissions can find you (torrenting, gaming, and before services like Skype [though I think MS changed the structure now] could/would be affected).

I see...

How can I know if my old "PowerHome" package has been downgraded to this private network behind a firewall ?

14 minutes ago, matbkk said:

I see...

Hwo can I know if my old "PowerHome" package has been downgraded to this private network behind a firewall ?

Ask AIS?

Go here http://ip-lookup.net/

Note your IP address, maybe 49.x.x.x?

Now look in your router, what does it say for an IP address? 100.110.x.x?

If so you're on double NAT, which is default for PowerHome packages. (Note that some PowerHome customers have finagled IPv4 addresses).

In addition, PowerPro packages have different DL/UL combinations, with generally higher upload speeds, ratio-wise, that is.

You should be able to upgrade from 15/5 to 50/10 during the initial contract period, but you couldn't downgrade from 50/10 to 15/5, if I understand the T's & C's.

I have checked and despite using a "Powerhome" package suscribed more than a year ago the wan IP is 49.x.x.x. 

So I am not behind a double nat.

Good news but if I want to upgrade I may need to go for a Powerpro if I want to keep the same specs.

1 hour ago, matbkk said:

I have checked and despite using a "Powerhome" package suscribed more than a year ago the wan IP is 49.x.x.x. 

So I am not behind a double nat.

Good news but if I want to upgrade I may need to go for a Powerpro if I want to keep the same specs.

And what does the router show for your WAN IP address? Is it the same 49.x.x.x? Or is it 100.110.x.x?

If it's 100.110.x.x then you are double-NATed. And if you are you can use the free THDDNS service, which IME, works well.

2 hours ago, matbkk said:

The router shows 49.x.x.x so I believe that I am not double NATed. 

That would be a public internet IP address.

Reserved addresses for private networks are:

10.x.y.z

172.16.a.b -> 172.31.c.d

192.168.x.y

I use 10.100.y.z address space for my private network because for some reason my work place forgot to block those private addresses from going to the public internet while connected through the VPN (means I can privately surf the net while working).

My AIS 50/10 Home package shows a 100.XXXX in the router setup menu but when checking my IP it always give a 49.XXXXX number.   So my setup is double-NAT.   I wasn't really clear on what double-NAT really means but this link helps me to understand it better:  Link

1 hour ago, Pib said:

My AIS 50/10 Home package shows a 100.XXXX in the router setup menu but when checking my IP it always give a 49.XXXXX number.   So my setup is double-NAT.   I wasn't really clear on what double-NAT really means but this link helps me to understand it better:  Link

How are the performances ?

• 2 months later...

Archived