'Stop politicians from reaping off farmers'

webfact

'Stop politicians from reaping off farners'
Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation

30247070-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Academics, government officials and rice traders have called for the establishment of concrete laws and regulations to prevent politicians reaping benefits from crop-subsidy projects, and mainly from rice schemes, by requiring the declaration of funds sourced from budget spending and the regular reporting of account balances.

They also urged involved parties to launch a campaign aimed at creating a new attitude among farmers, so that they do not have to rely on pledging or any other form of subsidy scheme.

At yesterday's "Heading to new subsidy idea: lesson from rice pledging scheme" seminar, co-organised by the Thailand Research Fund and the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), panellists shared the view that the rice-pledging scheme had destroyed the sector's development, ruined the country's rice-export competitiveness and created a huge fiscal burden.

They agreed that Thailand should not have had such a high-subsidy programme, as it had led to low development of the rice-farming industry.

The authorities should introduce clear regulations to prevent politicians and new governments from launching such a project in the future, otherwise the country would find itself mired in the same problems as currently, facing huge financial losses, and lower development and competitiveness.

According to a TDRI study, Thailand faces a loss of Bt660 billion from the last government's rice-pledging scheme, after the inspection team of the current military-led government found in October that more than 85 per cent of 17.4 million tonnes of rice in the stockpiles had deteriorated in quality.

Of this amount, some 5 per cent had been damaged, the team found.

Moreover, out of a total loss of Bt660 billion, the TDRI found that nearly one sixth, or Bt123 billion, had gone to politicians involved in the subsidy project.

If calculated based on the government's ability to release rice from its stockpiles over the next 10 years, the country could face a loss up to Bt960 billion, as it would needed to shoulder stocking and operating costs, said the research institute.

The country spent up to Bt985 billion buying 54.4 million tonnes of paddy in two and a half years under the now-scrapped rice-pledging scheme, but most of the Bt560-billion producer surplus went to medium-to-large-scale farmers.

More importantly, the TDRI said the "welfare cost" of the policy exceeded the producer and consumer surplus by Bt120 billion.

Nipon Puapongsakorn, distinguished fellow of the institute, said the current government should come up with concrete laws and regulations that prevent future administrations from launch pledging schemes that damage the interests of farmers and the national budget.

"Thailand should amend the Constitution Act, the Election Act and budget disbursement law to prevent each government from overspending the Kingdom's budget on farm subsidies," he said.

Since the country has to shoulder a huge burden for managing 17.4 million tonnes of rice, he also suggested that the government consider donating 30-50 per cent of rice in the stockpiles to the World Food Programme, so that the fiscal burden can be reduced.

He added that damaged rice should not be used to produce ethanol, because the cost of production would not be feasible.

Nipon suggested that the government and involved bodies in the agricultural sector needed to come up with a concrete campaign and plan to encourage farmers to rely more on their own resources and become less dependent on subsidy projects.

Sadly, he pointed out, almost 70 per cent of farmers still want subsidies from the government.

He said the media and involved sectors should help develop the rice industry and promote a self-sufficiency policy among farmers.

Luck Wajananawat, managing director of the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, said rice trading should be processed independently in line with the market mechanism, and without any intervention.

He called for farmers and enterprises to help develop rice-industry growth, so that the sector can survive on its own.

To promote growth, he said agricultural cooperatives would act as an "efficiency tool" to strengthen farmers' bargaining power, while rice millers should also create "fair milling" to share the benefits from by-products with farmers.

Vichai Sriprasert, honorary president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, said the sector had not been developed for many years due to politicians using assistance to rice farmers as a tool to win votes in general elections.

He warned that as long as the world market acknowledged that the government held enormous rice stocks, prices would continue to fall, hurting farmers.

International traders have said that the price of Thai rice will drop by another US$30-$50 (Bt985-Bt1,642) a tonne in the near future, he added.

He called for the government to create a sustainable plan to develop the rice industry by focusing on cost reduction rather than subsidised prices.

Speaking elsewhere, former deputy prime minister and commerce minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan said the previous government had not created a huge loss of Bt700 billion from the rice-pledging programme, as some had accused it of doing.

He claimed that since the pledging was aimed at helping farmers, it had benefited both the economy and farmers' incomes.

He also said that the administration he served had been able to generate sales that compensated for some of the spending on the scheme, while also denying that politicians had benefited from the project.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Stop-politicians-from-reaping-off-farners-30247070.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-06

• Like 1

Strangely enough that these conclusions reached by those geniuses here, have been suggested

and talked about in this forum many times over by TV members who doesn't possess any of the

qualifications that these esteemed academics here, it's only take common sense and logics,

commodities that are scares in this country...

• Like 1

Academics, government officials and rice traders have called for the establishment of concrete laws and regulations to prevent politicians reaping benefits from crop-subsidy projects, and mainly from rice schemes, by requiring the declaration of funds sourced from budget spending and the regular reporting of account balances.

Laws and regulations to stop crooked politicians from using populist policies which drain the economy but buy votes so that the crooked politicians can increase their own wealth and power. Thaksin is not going to be impressed.

Well in the first place no one told the rice farmers they had to join the PTP scheme, so stop trying to look all innocent, you all knew what the ramifications would be , don't play politics , as for the scheme did anyone from Treasury or Commerce Departments heads speak out about this tosser of a scheme ,if not ,why aren't those facing court , blind Freddy could tell that it was a scam solely supported with a lot of ifss scenarios that was a blatant get rich scheme , based on wishful thinking ,and political vote buying which the gullible rice farmers fell for and the politicians you voted for was the ones ripping you off, all speaks volumes bah.gif

Edited by chainarong

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=tongue.png> Living in Thailand since 1985, I have learned to expect nothing except more corruption and to see that no one is ever punished for anything if they are wealthy. The proliferation of costly cars and gigantic hundred and two hundred million Baht homes along the golf courses is mind boggling, particularly seeing that rarely if ever is anyone staying in one of these homes. Thirty years ago the Thai people were simple and sweet; they could live happily with very little money. But now, everything has changed so much it is hard to think I am in the same country. alt=bah.gif>

I agree but that also applies to my home country as well, the world has changed . we have to live with it.

• Like 2

"Speaking elsewhere, former deputy prime minister and commerce minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan said the previous government had not created a huge loss of Bt700 billion from the rice-pledging programme, as some had accused it of doing.

He claimed that since the pledging was aimed at helping farmers, it had benefited both the economy and farmers' incomes."

For some of these ex-politician's BS must come in a jar like 'hundreds and thousands'!

post-63954-0-08879100-1415237724_thumb.j

I was in the local Kubota dealer yesterday and I asked the girl we know how thinks were going....to which she replies "Better next year" with a fake smile on her face.

Moreover, out of a total loss of Bt660 billion, the TDRI found that nearly one sixth, or Bt123 billion, had gone to politicians involved in the subsidy project.

Well done Yingluck. This achievement surely makes Thaksin proud of his little sister.

YingluckShinawatraThaiPrimeMinisterShina

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well in the first place no one told the rice farmers they had to join the PTP scheme, so stop trying to look all innocent, you all knew what the ramifications would be , don't play politics , as for the scheme did anyone from Treasury or Commerce Departments heads speak out about this tosser of a scheme ,if not ,why aren't those facing court , blind Freddy could tell that it was a scam solely supported with a lot of ifss scenarios that was a blatant get rich scheme , based on wishful thinking ,and political vote buying which the gullible rice farmers fell for and the politicians you voted for was the ones ripping you off, all speaks volumes alt=bah.gif>

"... as for the scheme did anyone from Treasury or Commerce Departments heads speak out about this tosser of a scheme..."

Come on, how many civil servants would have dared to speak out during any of the paymaster related governments?

But in fact I do know one previously high level finance beaurocrat (very large signing power) who resigned on the spot when several politically appointed officials tried to twist his arm to sign a swag of inappropriate documents.

His comment, '"no, this is totally wrong and I could go to jail", response, "No No, it's all OK, we will protect you".

He walked out on the spot and sent in his resignation.

The red appointed officials tried to get him to come back. He has never been back.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

alt=tongue.png> Living in Thailand since 1985, I have learned to expect nothing except more corruption and to see that no one is ever punished for anything if they are wealthy. The proliferation of costly cars and gigantic hundred and two hundred million Baht homes along the golf courses is mind boggling, particularly seeing that rarely if ever is anyone staying in one of these homes. Thirty years ago the Thai people were simple and sweet; they could live happily with very little money. But now, everything has changed so much it is hard to think I am in the same country. alt=bah.gif>

I agree but that also applies to my home country as well, the world has changed . we have to live with it.

No we don't, we get high power generals to come in temporarily and rewrite the laws and the processes to enforce the laws.

Well in the first place no one told the rice farmers they had to join the PTP scheme, so stop trying to look all innocent, you all knew what the ramifications would be , don't play politics , as for the scheme did anyone from Treasury or Commerce Departments heads speak out about this tosser of a scheme ,if not ,why aren't those facing court , blind Freddy could tell that it was a scam solely supported with a lot of ifss scenarios that was a blatant get rich scheme , based on wishful thinking ,and political vote buying which the gullible rice farmers fell for and the politicians you voted for was the ones ripping you off, all speaks volumes alt=bah.gif>

"... as for the scheme did anyone from Treasury or Commerce Departments heads speak out about this tosser of a scheme..."

Come on, how many civil servants would have dared to speak out during any of the paymaster related governments?

But in fact I do know one previously high level finance beaurocrat (very large signing power) who resigned on the spot when several politically appointed officials tried to twist his arm to sign a swag of inappropriate documents.

His comment, '"no, this is totally wrong and I could go to jail", response, "No No, it's all OK, we will protect you".

He walked out on the spot and sent in his resignation.

The red appointed officials tried to get him to come back. He has never been back.

Not only did the commerce ministers and their staff not speak out they have been deemed complicit in the scheme and have been charged. Mods tell me I am not allowed to post the story on this however I can post that the Sec of the minister has also been charged :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757870-ex-commerce-ministers-secretary-faces-charges-over-fake-g-to-g-rice-deals/ DSI probes graft allegations in govt's rice-pledging scheme

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has decided to lodge malfeasance and other criminal charges against former secretary of ex-commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom for alleged involvement in fake government-to-government rice deals with two Chinese state enterprises.

Then there was the lady who came up with the numbers of the losses who was scorned and dumped, she has now been vindicated in her accounting and I believe is now sitting on the NACC where her knowledge of the scheme will be very useful.

• Like 1

Crim reaper,I went to Nanna's and some of the waitresses began reaping off,too monkey pople being sucked in by falsey adverts fake prose etc.The sooner they are sucked off and the farmers get the fruits of their paddys the butter four ephraim

Crim reaper,I went to Nanna's and some of the waitresses began reaping off,too monkey pople being sucked in by falsey adverts fake prose etc.The sooner they are sucked off and the farmers get the fruits of their paddys the butter four ephraim

Translation please!!wai2.gif

Well done Yingluck. This achievement surely makes Thaksin proud of his little sister.

YingluckShinawatraThaiPrimeMinisterShina

those figures make me physically sick as I know people here who have lost everything and even my wife who has farmed and kept most of the village in employment for many year's has lost a lot a jacked it all in,we just rent our farms out now, and wish whoever rents good luck.

funny this comes from the rice traders...

government, subsidy or not........if you need to highlight one group that ripping of rice farmers, days in and out, that would be the rice traders!!

Edited by tingtong

"Thailand should amend the Constitution Act, the Election Act and budget disbursement law to prevent each government from overspending the Kingdom's budget on farm subsidies,"

I reckon they should pass a law preventing heartless bastards from ever being allowed in a position of power.

Who the hell asked this idiot. Ship him off to Fox news

Edited by Thai at Heart

had destroyed the sector's development, ruined the country's rice-export competitiveness and created a huge fiscal bur

Well this is patently a load of absolute tosh, since thailand has returned to that coveted post of no 1 exporter.

And no doubt you personally know the the tooth fairy et all.

On a more serious note, you try try to paint a picture that 1Trillion Baht loss is just a joke, nothing to be concerned about. It's all now totally OK.

Fabie tried the same just recently.

Both of you insult the good Thai people, shame on you.