Indonesia to waive visa requirements for 5 countries

webfact

Indonesia to waive visa requirements for 5 countries

BANGKOK: -- : -- The government will waive visa requirements for the citizens of several countries in a bid to attract 20 million tourists by 2020, according to The Jakarta Post.

“Based on the coordination meeting result, there will be five countries; Australia, China, Japan, Russia and South Korea, which are to be granted visa-free access by the government,” Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Indroyono Soesilo said in Jakarta on Wednesday.

Through the programme the government expected to see additional 500,000 tourist arrivals in a year, he said.

The government needed to spend around US$11.5 million on the plan. The minister said, however, that with projected additional tourist arrivals and spending potential, the government would receive minimum revenue of $540 million per year, on the assumption that every tourist spent around $1,200 per visit to Indonesia.

In addition, the government plans to facilitate the permit process for yachts and international cruise ships wanting to enter the country’s ports.

“We will strengthen the online system set up by the Foreign Ministry,” he said, adding that the government had set a target to finalize such permits in a day. With easier permit issuance, he expected leaders in the regions to promote their regions so that Indonesia could attract many tourists.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indonesia-waive-visa-requirements-5-countries/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-06

• Like 1

Yes that concept of reducing the visa requirements goes to show that to slow down visitor arrivals and length of stay by Visa restrictions has a significant impact on the in-country spend by greater numbers of tourists arriving and staying longer.

The visa issue limits what I do and where I go and for how long.. When we visit and stay in Malaysia their more liberal policy simply means we stay longer more often although our preference is really Thai first and Vietnam second..

Cheers Bunter

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bunter

Well done Indonesia! Im sure it will affect Thailand - its a shame Thailand doesn't come up with ideas like that for the tourists from countries it actually wants to attract.
Right now it should certainly be giving a break to UK tourists and Western tourists who are disgusted with the way we are treated and dont feel safe in Thailand.

Yes that concept of reducing the visa requirements goes to show that to slow down visitor arrivals and length of stay by Visa restrictions has a significant impact on the in-country spend by greater numbers of tourists arriving and staying longer.

The visa issue limits what I do and where I go and for how long.. When we visit and stay in Malaysia their more liberal policy simply means we stay longer more often although our preference is really Thai first and Vietnam second..

Cheers Bunter

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Also Malayasian Immigration is fast. I once timed the processing, and it took around 30 seconds per passenger, and it's free.

A 30-day visa on arrival to Indonesia costs U$35.00. This can be extended by another 30 days and U$35.00.

Cash payments are preferred, and old, used, or folded banknotes are normally rejected. Change is given is old, worn Rupiah notes.

Anyone know when this is effective? I am gonna be real positive about Indo as an alternative to LOS in my later years. Gorgeous girls, great food, and affordable I hear you can get a five year visa if you marry a local girl, hopefully more good things and oh so close to Phuket if the urge arises or feel like a decent pla neung manaow (Steamed fish with lemon and chili and ginger yum!!)

500,000 new tourists per year ?, now that does not sound like it was picked out of a hat at all.

I imagine TAT would be much better at it : they would say something like 30% increase (which will be downgraded to 3% just before the figures are known, but with a prediction of another 30% rise next year).

So, Russia gets a pass, but UK, US, and (apparently) Eurozone do not? Interesting...

It's all about luring tourists, not foreign businessmen (unfortunately), and they are probably right about their targeted country markets. US tourists rarely make the long haul to Indo unless it's a honeymoon to Bali or something.

I hate the process of getting the visa on arrival in Jakarta as it's a time waster, but I guess it won't change.

Anyone know when this is effective? I am gonna be real positive about Indo as an alternative to LOS in my later years. Gorgeous girls, great food, and affordable I hear you can get a five year visa if you marry a local girl, hopefully more good things and oh so close to Phuket if the urge arises or feel like a decent pla neung manaow (Steamed fish with lemon and chili and ginger yum!!)

you'll probably have to convert to Islam - but no worries there lol

And across the road at the Emporium now under going upgrading, it is a nightmare waiting for an accident to happen. It's a full blown construction site yet some shops are still open amidst the chaos. On arrival, they should give you a hard hat and a map. Today, I saw two Japanese women fall on the uneven floor covered in felt. Why the Emporium owners didn't close the entire complex and just get on with it, I guess only $$$ guided them. I'm waiting for a German or American to sue them after such a fall.

Mmm, also a bit dissapointed to open the topic and read that Brits didn't make the waiver. Usually I get myself a 60 day visa in an Embassy in advance anyway, so that I can vanish off into slightly remoter areas and not have to bother thinking about days remaining until much later in the game. I always 'hear' about the possibilty of extending a 30 day one for another 30 days locally, but have yet to hear direct success experience of someone doing it (outside of Bali, I mean) and what it entails. Local requirements for extension in Bali are probably going to differ from Medan in Sumatra, for example. Older reports had people saying they were being requested more baksheesh to extend another 30 days in some obscure place, than it would have been just to get a 60 day visa in advance. However, maybe there are folks here who have extended for another 30 days in Sumatra, Java or much further afield?

Didn't know that Indonesianess existed - sounds exactly like the dodgy plans to "lure" tourists that Thailand's tourism experts came up with a few months ago... great! coffee1.gif

Did they say "attract" or "lure". Travelled to Indonesia many times. If they can get the fundamentalists under control, it is a beautiful place.

I would reckon that they understand their international clientele much better than thais, without having to enslave a few million girls into the game to attract 50% of their visitors.

Not just the Indonesians - Malaysia, Japan and South Korea all give Australians 90-days on arrival, but at least this should minimise the amount of time many tourists have to spend standing in the arrivals hall at the bus station that masquerades as Denpasar Intl Airport.

My thoughts exactly, at least it should reduce the queue to get the visa for us Yanks and Brits, more likely I won't bother with Bali though!

Well done Indonesia! Im sure it will affect Thailand - its a shame Thailand doesn't come up with ideas like that for the tourists from countries it actually wants to attract.

Right now it should certainly be giving a break to UK tourists and Western tourists who are disgusted with the way we are treated and dont feel safe in Thailand.

Thailand is Thailand and it has rule and it has Rules. Somewhat behind western policies but then not every one or every country is the same. There is definitely need for change and it will come but unfortunately the wheel here does turn slowly. Are you naïve or not travelled to many countries. Try going to Zimbabwe, The Congo Republic, Somalia, Columbia, Palestine, Egypt, and Syria just to name a few, then come back here and tell me how tourists feel. I have been there and can tell you where I'd much rather be.

What sort of breaks are you looking for and why are you speaking for all tourists in stating that they are disgusted and do not feel safe? I am a westerner and was wondering when I asked you to speak for me. In so far as not feeling safe, can you explain this aspect also? Maybe it depends on who you mix with or areas that you visit?

It's easy to write something without defining the content so I'm curious as to why you state that every one is disgusted and fearful and what statistics you base those assertions on? I have been coming to Thailand for over 10 years and now retired here and at no time have I ever been disgusted or felt fearful. In fact I've found the Thais that I have met to be good people and have shown me many courtesies that as an older person, I find sadly missing from society in my home country, Australia.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 1