Crane collapses (again) over Emporium expansion on Sukhumvit Road

webfact

Crane collapses (again) over Emporium expansion on Sukhumvit Road
By Coconuts Bangkok

crane.header.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Workers this afternoon sought to secure a crane which collapsed at the site of new shopping mall on Sukhumvit Road, the second such accident there in three months.

The crane collapsed at around [time] morning while workers at EmsQuartier were trying to lift concrete slabs for installation. The crane collapsed and the cascading planks reportedly damaged electric transformers and water pipes.

It's unknown if anyone was hurt or killed in the accident.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/06/crane-collapses-again-over-emporium-expansion-sukhumvit-road

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-06

I'm looking forward to the second highest tower in the world being built in BKK.. Well actually, I'm not!

But I'm sure some posters here will say Thai steel, even that used in crane building, outweighs that of Chinese quality.

Wouldn't you agree, Soutpeel?

I'm looking forward to the second highest tower in the world being built in BKK.. Well actually, I'm not!

But I'm sure some posters here will say Thai steel, even that used in crane building, outweighs that of Chinese quality.

Doubt the problem is with steel quality. More likely the lack of depth in applied science and math. We did had a Science minister who suggested the use of boat motors to clear a flooded river faster.

troger's it was a rather feeble attempt by the rant master himself to have dig at me, fact is one suspects you will find the tower crane is not even manufactured in Thailand, could be Europe, US, Japan or South Korea who all build these types of crane.

but as always Commence will not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory and a rant..

but your almost certainly correct on the lack of depth in "applied Science and maths" contributed to this collaspe seeing as its the second, some nob head operators is overloading the cranes.

Doubt the problem is with steel quality. More likely the lack of depth in applied science and math. We did had a Science minister who suggested the use of boat motors to clear a flooded river faster.

troger's it was a rather feeble attempt by the rant master himself to have dig at me, fact is one suspects you will find the tower crane is not even manufactured in Thailand, could be Europe, US, Japan or South Korea who all build these types of crane.

but as always Commence will not let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory and a rant..

but your almost certainly correct on the lack of depth in "applied Science and maths" contributed to this collaspe seeing as its the second, some nob head operators is overloading the cranes.

Probably a combination of factors, but the crane certainly could have been made in Thailand. There are dozens if not hundreds of crane manufacturers around the country, both large and small. The key components for heavy-lift cranes are generally sourced from international crane companies such as Demag and Konecranes, but I that expect the frames would often be assembled locally.

Probably a combination of factors, but the crane certainly could have been made in Thailand. There are dozens if not hundreds of crane manufacturers around the country, both large and small. The key components for heavy-lift cranes are generally sourced from international crane companies such as Demag and Konecranes, but I that expect the frames would often be assembled locally.

Does the Dept of Labour and Industry (or its equivalent) carry out regular inspections of cranes to ensure they're safe to operate?

Is Occupational Health and Safety a consideration here?

You cannot assess this incident with western or first world standards. lift analysis,operation licenses . These incident will conti ue to happen due to the third world mentality, gross incompetence and corruption within construction industry in this part of the word. It will not change , you can do as many lift analysis as you like , people will still die. Serious legal consequences , fine and imprisonment with proper enforcement is what is required. And as mentioned with the people running the companies in with politicians, that is not likely to happen

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 2

Not to be outdone by the minister of innovation whose Chula University Phd was revoked due to plagiarism

• Like 1

Does the Dept of Labour and Industry (or its equivalent) carry out regular inspections of cranes to ensure they're safe to operate?

Is Occupational Health and Safety a consideration here?

I am sure they have inspector for this job and they do make it to the job site. The question of course is do they make it past the construction office to do their job or do they high tail it out with a brown envelope stuffed in their pocket

"

"Does the Dept of Labour and Industry (or its equivalent) carry out regular inspections of cranes to ensure they're safe to operate?

Is Occupational Health and Safety a consideration here?"

Yes they do show up... to get the little envelop shake hands, smile the silly smile and go onto

the next "inspection" been there, done that...

You cannot access this incident with western or first world standards. lift analysis,operation licenses . These incident will conti ue to happen due to the third world mentality, gross incompetence and corruption within construction industry in this part of the word. It will not change , you can do as many lift analysis as you like , people will still die. Serious legal consequences , fine and imprisonment with proper enforcement is what is required. And as mentioned with the people running the companies in with politicians, that is not likely to happen

surely your not suggesting construction cranes in the West don't collapse ? and for the very same reasons you state for Thailand and SEA,

a quick look at U-tube will prove other wise, my friend, cranes like this collapse all over the world for the same reasons, in review of these western crane collapse's go an see what the "legal" consequences where with respect to fines and imprisonment....thumbsup.gif

If you wish go an compare the number of cranes of this type that collapse in Farangistan versus Thailand and SEA and come back and tell us the numbers..wink.png

Just for the UK alone off the top of my head, and this is in a country which has some of the most rabid Occupational Health and Safety officials on the planet...thumbsup.gif

Liverpool tower crane collapse

Canada Square crane collapse

Batersea power station collapse

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

I was in Emporium Suites when this happened and the sound was loud enough for everybody to stop what they were doing/saying and look outside. I wanted to go out to look but thought better of it. If things are falling from up high, I am not that interested to see what the issues is. However, all the staff of the Suites went out, except for one doorman. They walked out to Sukumvit to see what was going on.

Note to self: don't walk outside Emporium on the street for another 6 months.

• Like 1

I see it looks like they covered up the sign writing on it...who says thais cannot learn

The tarp appears to have been installed prior to the failure so might have been done for weather protection.

It is not a good practice to have a tarp installed like this because it creates a large surface area during winds and it prevents proper visual inspection which should occur daily.

• Like 1

Thai (Only) engineers at work here a friend of mine is a crane engineer in Germany but of course "We dont allow farang to work here" so please enjoy your broken crane Thais and all of the costs associated with it. If you employed farangs there the job would be done right first time get that through your thick (Nationalistic) heads.

I'll say it again , until they make companies pay heavily for this kind of life threatening incident ,nothing will change

Ive been dealing with kind of shit for the past 12 years working in Asia and it annoys me no end that due to the corruption in the construction industry people , mainly foreign workers die. The problem being many construction companies have political "Partners" or board members

Yea ,,,and all those "Members" put Money before safe practise and Quality materials bah.gif

The ghosts (poltergeists ?) of the now gone Washington Square that are doing it. Once the place is finished if you listen very carefully you will hear the ghost of Fat George rattling his chains and wailing "turn that f**** music down". An exorcism will have to be held consisting of free beverages and the scantily clad Leo/Chang/Heineken advertising girls presiding. That will bring everything back to normal.

Obviously the center of gravity was to far for the load, and possibly the overload switches have been by-passed, or are simply non-existent. but what do I know. I am sure you brilliant engineers will sort out the problem.

You cannot assess this incident with western or first world standards. lift analysis,operation licenses . These incident will conti ue to happen due to the third world mentality, gross incompetence and corruption within construction industry in this part of the word. It will not change , you can do as many lift analysis as you like , people will still die. Serious legal consequences , fine and imprisonment with proper enforcement is what is required. And as mentioned with the people running the companies in with politicians, that is not likely to happen

Look at it this way... even bad incidents like this have some silver lining.

From a Thailand perspective, at least the whole mall expansion structure didn't totally collapse to the ground -- unlike what happened lately with the condo project under construction in BKK, the hospital under construction in Samut Prakan, and on and on...

I spent three months on a building site just checking on safety (the Robert E. Ginna power plant in NY if anyone wants to know). Boring, because nothing happened that was my responsibility. I managed to fall down two flights of stairs when it rained one day. Many countries, not only Thailand, lack 1: quality control inspectors (incoming material sampling and testing) and 2: safety inspectors, and that doesn't mean the installation of a 'safety first' banner.

• Like 2

To western eyes this is just poor workmanship, poor standards, poor workmen being supervised (?) by poor supervisors, everything about buidlings here is unlikely to built to western standards.

To Thai eyes and they know a thing or two about building, look at all those beach front condo blocks, its just bad luck, can't remember it ever happening before.

And across the road at the Emporium now under going upgrading, it is a nightmare waiting for an accident to happen. It's a full blown construction site yet some shops are still open amidst the chaos. On arrival, they should give you a hard hat and a map. Today, I saw two Japanese women fall on the uneven floor covered in felt. Why the Emporium owners didn't close the entire complex and just get on with it, I guess only $$$ guided them. I'm waiting for a German or American to sue them after such a fall.

• Like 1

To western eyes this is just poor workmanship, poor standards, poor workmen being supervised (?) by poor supervisors, everything about buidlings here is unlikely to built to western standards.

To Thai eyes and they know a thing or two about building, look at all those beach front condo blocks, its just bad luck, can't remember it ever happening before.

..................another beach front condo block condemned every month....................just look at cracks in Pattaya hotels "they know a thing or two" is about all they know!!

You cannot access this incident with western or first world standards. lift analysis,operation licenses . These incident will conti ue to happen due to the third world mentality, gross incompetence and corruption within construction industry in this part of the word. It will not change , you can do as many lift analysis as you like , people will still die. Serious legal consequences , fine and imprisonment with proper enforcement is what is required. And as mentioned with the people running the companies in with politicians, that is not likely to happen

surely your not suggesting construction cranes in the West don't collapse ? and for the very same reasons you state for Thailand and SEA,

a quick look at U-tube will prove other wise, my friend, cranes like this collapse all over the world for the same reasons, in review of these western crane collapse's go an see what the "legal" consequences where with respect to fines and imprisonment....thumbsup.gif

If you wish go an compare the number of cranes of this type that collapse in Farangistan versus Thailand and SEA and come back and tell us the numbers..wink.png

Just for the UK alone off the top of my head, and this is in a country which has some of the most rabid Occupational Health and Safety officials on the planet...thumbsup.gif

"Two construction firms have been sentenced after a crane collapsed onto a city centre apartment block in Liverpool, resulting in the crane driver being paralysed from the waist down." first six words sum up the difference they didnt rush to throw a tarpaulin over so no one could see - also quite a statement that you had to go back11 and 5 years to find incidents in the UK - obviously a TOTALLY different scenario

Edited by love1012

Agree with you . I work on constructionsites in Europe , mainly the Netherlands , where I get fined 3500 euro's if I not wear my safety harnas or wear my bloody hardhat .

In belgium I have seen brown envelopes going to safety inspectors .

Crane accidents happen , seen it several times , failling sensors , sudden wing gusts , ice on cranes frozen ground that defrosts ( not for Thailand tho )

Nobody on a constructionsite has a deathwish , accidents just happen if 1000's of metric tons are on the move .