American banks have blocked ATM use in Thailand!

European banks limited the max amount of withdrawal in Thailand. Now i can only get max 11000 baht out of the atm a day. This is as a precaution because there have been too much fraud from out of thailand.

I m waiting for the creditcard company's to follow this and i guess the Quality Tourists won't be happy with it so we will see how long this will last.

no generalising please. your bank may have applied a limit. "European" banks do not.

ALL Belgian banks have blocked ATM withdrawals for Thailand.

You need to ask for a temporary "unblock"

Daily and weekly withdrawal limits are standard

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not read nothing about that. I am Belgian (and I am retired from a bank ;) ) and do not know about that. I got 20000 bahts two days ago....I hope it was not the last time....

Daily and weekly limits have always existed (600 euros a day for atm).

I had my creditcards blocked a few times due to a big fraud risk in the region Thailand-Malaysia, since I live here (that is like 5 times in 15 year) and every time my bank sent me a new card. It takes not more than a week with DHL, but of course you do not know in advance when they block as they write to your home address and most of the time the mail comes after you have your new card already ;) .

Maybe my bank unblocked my cards automatically because I go back every summer and they know I am living in Thailand 9 months a year...but they did not tell me (every summer I am in contact with my bank). And if that is the case I will have to thank and congratulate my banker.... ;)

But I noticed that my overall limit has been put to 2500 euros per month and it was 5000 and 6500 last year. So, that must be for security reasons.

Well as soon as the OP can post some weblinks providing additional proof that Thailand has been placed on some banking blacklist I may get concerned, but the three U.S. credit cards and 2 U.S. debit cards I use regularly in Thailand (used two of them just yesterday) are still working fine. My guess is it's just the OP's bank that is tightening down on "foreign" transactions like they need to be notified in advance of a person's travel itinerary/time expect to stay in country XYZ. Quite a few banks have been like that for a long time.

Wells Fargo has had the notice of travel on cards for many years.

It may help to register with your American bank the fact that "you" are traveling to Thailand and give the 89 day time length of the travel, allowed max of 90day 'foreign travel' notice time.

I do this often, about the time of my 90day address in Thailand renewal. It is available if you bank via Internet pages.wai.gif

Used my bank DEBIT card the 24th of Oct to withdraw 20,000B ( I use ONE particular machine ), same machine each month.

Bank has notation on my account "Lives in THAILAND" .

KEEP SOME MONEY IN YOUR US BANK ACCOUNT.

Also know your banks telephone number and the info you supplied when you opened the account if you have to call them if your card doesn't work.

Have a backup card like the AMEX SERVE card, you can transfer money to the AMEX SERVE card from your DEBIT CARD in 30 seconds ( what I do NO FEE my bank)........, SCHEDULE regular electronic deposits to the SERVE card account..............., or move money from your bank account account in 5 days, or deposit your Social Security into a AMEX SERVE account.

w.ww.serve.com

Edited by edwardflory

Well, it seems we haven't heard back from the OP in this thread, and no further mention of what half dozen banks supposedly were involved.

All I can say is, in my experience, it's been rare to never that U.S. debit card transactions have been blocked in Thailand, even on a temporary basis -- provided you're staying within your debit card's daily purchase or ATM withdrawal limits. Perhaps because with debit cards, it's YOUR own money that's on the line, and you pretty much can't spend or withdraw more than your account's balance (except in the case of overdraft coverage, which generally should be avoided).

On the other hand, in my experience, it's pretty common to get U.S. credit card transactions blocked (and the card temporarily frozen) if your use pattern doesn't regularly show Thailand transactions and/or because you haven't place a "traveling to Thailand" alert with your credit card company. I don't think there's anything new about Thailand about that, nor would Thailand be alone in getting that kind of treatment. With all the card fraud occurring, the U.S. credit card companies are getting more sensitive about foreign transactions.

If you google along the lines of "visa blocked countries", card blocked countries, etc., you get lots of links to various banks/credit unions with "their" list of countries where the bank's/credit union credit card or debit cards can not be used.

You see even the UK is on some lists like at this U.S. credit union. Yeap, pretty much up to the bank which countries it blocks for whatever reason and that reason might not be just security related. I expect the banks use different security reports to determine which countries they put on their list...and some countries are blocked based on govt directives/laws like also shown in above weblink.

I think this TD Bank webpage and partial quote below sums it up pretty well regarding their list of blocked countries (i.e., it's an ever changing list).

You asked: Can I use my TD Bank Visa® Debit or ATM Card in other countries

We matched that to: Can I use my TD Bank Visa® Debit or ATM Card in other countries?

Yes, you can use your TD Bank Visa® Debit or ATM Card in other countries.

However, there are countries in which you may not use your Visa® Debit Card due to a high incidence of fraud. The countries that are blocked change often depending on world events as well as the latest fraud scams.

We suggest you visit your nearest TD Bank store or call Customer Service to obtain the latest listing prior to traveling.

My Merrill Lynch Bank of America rendered my ATM card inactive when in Thailand though I can use as a credit card. For me to use my card as ATM, I must call them to tell them and they give me a 4-hour window for withdrawal...

Why? because they said they have such problems with Thailand and a few other countries so they got blacklisted..

CB

I used my Wells Fargo debit card in a Siam Commercial ATM yesterday.

My wife used her Chase ATM card yesterday in Prachuap Khiri Khan. I did notify my bank prior to travel. They did not limit me to 30 days, however. I refuse to have a debit card, however, and just use a plain Jane ATM card with a 4 digit code. If I need a Visa card, I use a Visa CC card or an Amex card.

Just more good news for Thailand. I know Usbank has daily limits on withdrawals.

I have used a number of USA banks and you can set the withdrawal limits sometimes online or when you are in a branch. Bank of America sets ATM withdrawal limits from $50-----$1500 : CitiBank alows from $100 to $2,000 or more for cash at ATM's $5,000 for online or shopping at stores daily.

Both have blocked accounts when receiving overseas ATM activity but will immediately unblock when called and answer security questions.

Well i unblocked my card allready and now can get 11000 baht a day but i don't use it anymore in thailand so i don't even know if it still works.

My creditcard can easy pay big amounts if used in thai shops, even without signature or anything and that worries me as well.

My wife told me today that now scammers can hack the creditcard wireless when it is still in your wallet, so i won't bring it with me anymore. I brought it for emergency or to buy online airtickets for which i need a special calculator and so. Not easy to use.

I will never use my creditcard in thai shops again even if their insurance will pay me back, just don't want to get into hassle from that.

It was in the dutch newspapers a while ago that banks will put more restrictions on asian country's, i forgot which banks they mentioned.

You can get a card at Bangkok Bank that uses a chip wich can not be scanned by skimmers. Also Google "Aluma Wallet in Thailand" Its a aluminum wallet that protects your card from scanning, its also waterproof.

By coincidence I made posts today about using the Amex Bluebird Pre paid Debit Card and my USAA Debit and Credit Cards and accounts ... In those posts - I did not emphasize that I work diligently to maintain my USA address for my financial needs. This topic thread only bears out my gut feeling that it was the right thing to do ..

If you are an American of modest means and do not know about the American Express Bluebird Card -- you should learn about it ..

bluebird.com

I always inform my bank and American Express that I will be using my credit cards in Thailand and perhaps Malaysia........I give them my dates of beginning and end of trip. Quite a few years back, the second time that I tried to use my Mastercard, it was refused. I finally got onto the bank and had everything restored. When I got back home I went to see them. The answer was that Thailand is one of the worst countries for frauds. It was the same year that they uncovered a vast operation that went into millions.

To the original OP you should find a new bank.. this certainly is not indicative of how all banks operate. As has been noted most banks prefer to be notified when traveling which can usually be done with a secure bank message so no need for a phone call.

Someone mistakenly said that American Express cards require travel notifications.. Amex cards require no notification for travel at any time. I have quoted their website:

We want to make traveling easier for our Card Members so we want to make sure you know that you don’t need to contact us before you travel. We recognize when you are traveling and, as always, we will continue to ensure your account is protected by monitoring your account activity. If you experience any difficulty using your Card, please contact us immediately by calling the number on the back of your Card and we will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Kurt

I am just going by what my bank has informed me, my MIL has used the same ATM card for the last four years and my bank is aware that it was being used in Thailand.

However, as of last month it can no longer be used on a regular basis. I was told that they can do a release but only for a limited time i.e. on vacation.

Take it for what it's worth.

whistling.gif Have you used your ATM card in Thailand before?

Some banks block your ATM card if you use it in Thailand.

You need to call the bank and talk to their credit card fraud people, and get them to authorize that card for "overseas use".

This happened to me about a year ago.

I was back in the U.S. and got a new ATM/debit card from my bank then as my old card was running out.

I specifically told the clerk that my card was to be used in Thailand for on-line purchases.

She however, failed to pass this information on.

So when my card was approved their was no notice that the card "would be used outside the U.S." legally by myself.

The first time I got back to Thailand, and made an on-line purchase, it was blocked for "possible fraudulent use" because it was used overseas.

Took me 4 or 5 telephone calls, and about two hours of effort until I finally found someone who could unblock it.

Most of the brainless bimbos that the bank has to answer telephone complaints from customers are clueless about the banks policies, they are just pretty fluff designed to smile at the customers.

Turned out my U.S, bank "outsources" it's security/fraud problems to another security company.

Once I got that company, and talked to their "ATM fraud" personnel, they cleared and resolved my problem in about 15 minutes.

The root cause was that brainless bimbo who forgot to put the notification on my application that "card will be used overseas for on-line purchases", as I told her when I applied for a replacement card.

blink.png

"So when my card was approved their..."

There, there.

US laws don't protect against debit card fraud as they do credit card fraud, but Visa and Mastercard have a policy to do it anyway. So the bank is going to suffer any loss due to fraud. Who can blame them for cutting off Thailand?

"In outright fraud cases, Visa or MasterCard voluntarily protect check cards they issue through member banks as if they were credit cards, meaning the maximum a defrauded customer is liable for is $50. Visa states they have adopted a "zero-liability" policy, which applies to its debit cards as well as credit cards. Many banks eventually refund the entire amount stolen."

LINK

The answer is to have a Thai bank account and ATM card and not keep more in it than you are willing to lose.

I am not buying any of this OP's and subsequent postings. You simply have to inform your bank where the card is to be used IE: Thailand. Credit card companies also like to be informed of itineraries in travel.

""US laws don't protect against debit card fraud> is an out and out fabrication by the writer. All banks have protection against debit card fraud.We will fully reimburse you in the unlikely event that you suffer direct financial losses due to unauthorized activity (1)in your accounts through Digital Banking Services (2) provided you have met your security responsibilities. Quoted from the bank that controls SCB and in turn Kasikorn Bank.