Did high season start?

kalbo123

It's clear that there is a lot more traffic the past days during the Loy Krathong festival.

But that where in my opinion only Thai from Bangkok and they are about to leave now.

I saw a lot of Chinese tourists the last couple of days, but they are almost always here...and they are a different kind of tourists,

that do not visit places Farang would, they have a trail of their own.

Is it me, or is Thailand (Chiang Mai) less visited then other years by foreigners?

Or will it al be good for December?

Loy Kotoey was very early this year, so usually things will die down for a few weeks and then start picking up again. IMO, high season has not really kicked in until December for the last few years. There are plenty of backpackers all year round, but not the middle class Western tourists who spend money freely, that usually come during cool season.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thailand has had its run of a tourist place, in the early days for the bar and girl action but even now its not safe and expensive. Normal tourist stuff old buldings, ran down, dirty toliets in tourist areas, can't walk on the sidewalks with all the crap on the sidewalk, unclean food, etc... People with money have better places to go and if its just for the girls, go to P.I. where the beaches are still clean. Thailand itself is its worst enemy, too late to repair decades of damage. Keep the Chinese tourist, their cheap charlies anyway.

was enjoying this post until you landed... but seriously, since that multi-million baht marijuana bust the other day it looks like high season will be a little retarded this year, damn it

Thailand has had its run of a tourist place, in the early days for the bar and girl action but even now its not safe and expensive. Normal tourist stuff old buldings, ran down, dirty toliets in tourist areas, can't walk on the sidewalks with all the crap on the sidewalk, unclean food, etc... People with money have better places to go and if its just for the girls, go to P.I. where the beaches are still clean. Thailand itself is its worst enemy, too late to repair decades of damage. Keep the Chinese tourist, their cheap charlies anyway.

Where is that dislike button?

It's with a heavy heart that i have to agree.

• Like 2

Having spoken to a few small business owners in the night bazaar, sales are way down this year. I don't know if that relates directly to high season having started/not started or it just means tourists aren't buying...but interesting info.

The night bazaar keeps on getting bigger and bigger. The roadside stalls on Changklan are now competing with the likes of Anusarn and galare bazaars and are maybe getting to be not as cheap as they used to be. I think the tourist numbers are up but the big increase is asians, who probably have cheap goods at home anyway. The new tourists, Asians and Westerners alike, are a lot less likely to be interested in grotty girly bars so they too are suffering. Plenty of opportunity for the businesses catering to the needs of the new tourists.

As for the naysayers, especially the "Thailand is finished" brigade, I've been hearing that for at least 20 years but the numbers keep going up and the positive reviews of Chiang Mai keep coming.

• Like 1