What Surprised you most when you first came to Thailand?

NoshowJones

I arrived here in 1980, already a seasoned traveler, having spent ten years working my way across Europe.

The first surprise for me was the genuine happiness and contentment I saw on the faces of everyone around me. The really big surprise was that as soon as I arrived, I lost something, the desire to travel which had been so strong up until then. It was love at first sight and the affair is still going strong some 34 years on.

I had managed to traverse 65 countries in my wandering years and Thailand turned out to be my final destination.

For me, there is nowhere else that can even come close.

• Like 2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arrived here in 1980, already a seasoned traveler, having spent ten years working my way across Europe.

The first surprise for me was the genuine happiness and contentment I saw on the faces of everyone around me. The really big surprise was that as soon as I arrived, I lost something, the desire to travel which had been so strong up until then. It was love at first sight and the affair is still going strong some 34 years on.

I had managed to traverse 65 countries in my wandering years and Thailand turned out to be my final destination.

For me, there is nowhere else that can even come close.

a friend of mine bought a round the world ticket in 1981 and ended up in thailand. everytime he left, he had to ask himself why was he doung it as thailand kept calling him back. he went back and never left

• Like 1

The feeling of the hot, humid air when first arriving late at night.

Sights, sounds, smells that were all new to me.

Food vendors setting up on the sidewalk at night serving delicious food, how cheap it was, and how adding a few condiments from the tray left on the table totally transformed a simple bowl of noodles into a delicious meal.

Looking up at that big neon sign of a finger over lips and what looked like the letters “LSD” out on Sukhumvit Rd.

Amazed at how pedestrians crossed Sukhumvit Rd. (before the foot bridges were put in) by just walking right out into oncoming traffic, pausing here and there as cars, trucks and motorcycles zoomed pass just inches away.

A nice bungalow with bathroom, shower and a hammock out on the lanai looking out at the beautiful ocean on the quiet, mellow beach of Chaweng on Koh Samui for only Baht 50 a night!

In Bangkok hotels, I kept getting asked if I wanted a lady. When I went to Chiang Mai, I kept getting asked if I wanted White Powder!

Some “Mafia” guy holding the barrel of a gun to my forehead, right between my eyes, screaming at me in a language I didn’t understand.

A wild, late night car chase (me being chased) through the streets of Chiang Mai (guns involved again). Lost them, stopped and had a beer, then went back to my hotel.

Being a young guy in his mid 20’s that had never really traveled outside the USA, traveling solo, it was all very fun and exciting, and I fell in Love with the place on that first visit!

First trip to Thailand was back in 1979 aged 27, I found many things surprising,

But one thing I shall never forget back in 79 was being stared at by so many Thais

as I walked on the city streets, It made me feel a little uncomfortable, but the people were amazingly friendly

And once I remember being asked by a Thai friend if I would permit an old lady to touch my arm as she wanted to know what a Farangs skin felt like!

That explains a lot , since then all Thai women want to have white skin .

First Post: 61 yr old male - live half Maui, Hawaii & half BKK. 5 trips to Thailand in last 10 months. Now have GF in BKK and have applied for K1 Fiancee' Visa. Here Goes A Fresh Approach after 100+ days in Thailand:

* #1. The Heat. Ungodly Hot. Lived 40 years in Texas and now Hawaii. But Thailand and BKK is HOT.

* Not as friendly as I was expecting. Thai Men stink.

* Can't find any turkey (meat) in grocery stores or markets.

* Still haven't seen a water buffalo, and I spend a lot of time in Nong Khai.

* How the women say they want a "good heart" ... but they want MONEY and a good heart. Or just money.

* Everyone keeps their head down a bit ... and never look you in the eyes when speaking.

* How Thai women only think about two things: eating & sleeping.

* The sheer number of foot massage places ... and the number of food stalls (pre-junta).

* How the people are so different outside of BKK -- There's BKK, and then the rest of Thailand.

* Thai first appeared "Rude" to me. No "thank you" ... "Please" ... "Excuse Me". etc.

* How quickly I started saying "UR" while a Thai speaks.

* The number of solid hours a Thai woman can sleep.

* Lastly ... it's all about MONEY. On the Mainland USA ... at a party, someone might point at a man and say: "Oh, he's a Vice-President at UPS and is on the board of directors at the church". It's about Status ... And Prestige. Here in Thailand, It's about MONEY. "Oh, Steve. He is rich man. He have money mak mak."

• Like 1

First Post: 61 yr old male - live half Maui, Hawaii & half BKK. 5 trips to Thailand in last 10 months. Now have GF in BKK and have applied for K1 Fiancee' Visa. Here Goes A Fresh Approach after 100+ days in Thailand:

* #1. The Heat. Ungodly Hot. Lived 40 years in Texas and now Hawaii. But Thailand and BKK is HOT.

* How the women say they want a "good heart" ... but they want MONEY and a good heart. Or just money.

* Everyone keeps their head down a bit ... and never look you in the eyes when speaking.

* The sheer number of foot massage places ... and the number of food stalls (pre-junta).

* How the people are so different outside of BKK -- There's BKK, and then the rest of Thailand.

* Thai first appeared "Rude" to me. No "thank you" ... "Please" ... "Excuse Me". etc.

* Lastly ... it's all about MONEY. On the Mainland USA ... at a party, someone might point at a man and say: "Oh, he's a Vice-President at UPS and is on the board of directors at the church". It's about Status ... And Prestige. Here in Thailand, It's about MONEY. "Oh, Steve. He is rich man. He have money mak mak."

5 trips and you still havent figured out that status and prestige =money?

You totally missed the point....but okay....

You totally missed the point....but okay....

no, you did. he was contrasting two ideas that in fact are the same. its always about status and prestige no matter how its is manifested in different cultures

The friendliness of the people...when I first came here I was out in the "boonies" between 3 small villages......the people were curious but very friendly and respectful (something on a downhill trend in the US).......CM was about 40 minutes away with a lot of interesting options to offer but in a small package city-wise.....I was not convinced after the first visit & came back once again - and found it to be as before.....

I landed in the CM area by chance - there may be other areas as nice with as much to offer but have not found it yet.....

If I had initially been stuck in BKK without venturing out I might not have returned to Thailand - I don't need/want/enjoy/seek the pulse/drum beat of a big city.....

Nice story, I live in a small village and would not want to live in a city, but I do wish I was a bit closer to a city than what I am.

Be careful what you wish for as the closer you get to a tourist city the less friendly the people tend to be. I went from isaan to the north and found this to be true.

Maybe, but my nearest city is anything but a tourist city. Nakhon Sawan. everybody is friendly there.

possum1931, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:23, said:possum1931, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:23, said:
wprime, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:02, said:wprime, on 09 Nov 2014 - 17:02, said:

Not bad looking farangs with unattractive girls. Seems to be no shortage of them.

Back in Scotland. I always said you will find plenty of attractive girls with unattractive men, but you will hardly ever find a handsome guy with an unattractive girl.

That's because the handsome men go to 'Specsavers' in Scotland. clap2.gif

I didn't go to specsavers.

Good heart = sex worker, normal Thai women don't usually do much talk about "good heart" or "Jai dee"

All about money = VP of UPS = same as US, they just avoid saying MONEY too often.

• Like 1

Well, I came here in 1967, before most of you, and I had already lived in Vietnam and the Philippines, so my first impression of Thailand was quite favorable--more to offer, more advanced, better infrastructure, more order and civility among the populace. So, I don't recall any adverse initial impression; which may explain why I came back so often during the years and decided to retire here.

However, I do have a question for you possum. You seem to have issues with the big fat ugly farangs--what's the matter possum, did a big fat ugly farang take your girl?

• Like 1

> when I saw a big fat ugly Farang with a beautiful young Thai girl holding hands together, the first thing that entered my mind was he must be very rich.

I guess the first thing some people notice is how judgmental they have been over appearances the past and that Thais have taught them a lesson for the better.

How shops and restaurants leave all their outside tables, chairs and pot plants on the sidewalk overnight and it's all still there in the morning.

How quick nature can invade your living space. One week away and there are squirrels in the ceiling, birds nesting in the verandah ceiling fans, scorpions under the washing machine; plus you need a machete to hack a path through the grass to get to the front door.

Also, as other posters have mentioned, how important appearances are.

Well, I came here in 1967, before most of you, and I had already lived in Vietnam and the Philippines, so my first impression of Thailand was quite favorable--more to offer, more advanced, better infrastructure, more order and civility among the populace. So, I don't recall any adverse initial impression; which may explain why I came back so often during the years and decided to retire here.

However, I do have a question for you possum. You seem to have issues with the big fat ugly farangs--what's the matter possum, did a big fat ugly farang take your girl?

That has never happened to me, but I don't suppose you will believe me, if you read my OP, that should maybe help you understand the "issues" I have. One of my best friends is a big fat ugly Farang, with the fat belly, covered in tattoos, facial fair etc, but I would trust him with my life.

Maybe I'm a bit jealous of them, obviously not their looks, but the girls I went out with during the few times before I came to stay in Thailand for good about nine years ago to live with my then GF, and now my wife, I met them in the markets, shops etc, then I see these guys I "have issues" with, only getting these girls because of their wealth, and I include the best friend I mentioned in that.

Regular posters will know that I do not have any issues at all with the bar scene or prostitution. but I just can't understand how anyone can get in to the state most of these guys get into, and have to rely on their wealth to get a girl.

This has been a very interesting thread, and I have enjoyed reading the posts a lot of TV members have posted. Thanks a lot all you posters, even the ones I have "issues" with, and a special thanks to you Costas for the humour in your posts about my "issues".

My first trip was in 2004. I had read up on things and wasn't much surprised by the older falang with younger Thai girls. I have been around a bit and I get it. What surprised me most was the basic infrastructure and education level of most of the Thais. Their reading and writing and basic math skills were better than many of the US high school graduates these days in the USA. Sure the Thais didn't seem to know as much about western history or world geography as I might have thought, but that is all relative. I don't know much about the Asian histories either.

I also was surprised, pleasantly that is with the general friendliness of every Thai lady I met. Maybe I smiled more back than or was more easily pleased, but I had a blast and the girls seemed happy. One of my "tour guides" I spent a few days with, had a friend that had a car and he drove us to The crocodile park, and the next day the Nong Nooch gardens. All for a very reasonable cost. My friend she knew how to get a boat to Ko Larn and that was a great quiet day. It was a great first holiday experience in Thailand. I have returned 11 or 12 times since and can't wait to get back there again.

• Like 1

My first trip was in 2004. I had read up on things and wasn't much surprised by the older falang with younger Thai girls. I have been around a bit and I get it. What surprised me most was the basic infrastructure and education level of most of the Thais. Their reading and writing and basic math skills were better than many of the US high school graduates these days in the USA. Sure the Thais didn't seem to know as much about western history or world geography as I might have thought, but that is all relative. I don't know much about the Asian histories either.

I also was surprised, pleasantly that is with the general friendliness of every Thai lady I met. Maybe I smiled more back than or was more easily pleased, but I had a blast and the girls seemed happy. One of my "tour guides" I spent a few days with, had a friend that had a car and he drove us to The crocodile park, and the next day the Nong Nooch gardens. All for a very reasonable cost. My friend she knew how to get a boat to Ko Larn and that was a great quiet day. It was a great first holiday experience in Thailand. I have returned 11 or 12 times since and can't wait to get back there again.

N00bs writing about Thais, don't ya just love em?

Literacy rate in Thailand is very low, about 40-50%.

Many university graduates need a calculator to find 10% of 100.

Had "a friend" = her husband

I expect she made a profit from every transaction you made while with her.

• Like 1

N00bs writing about Thais, don't ya just love em?

Literacy rate in Thailand is very low, about 40-50%.

Many university graduates need a calculator to find 10% of 100.

Had "a friend" = her husband

I expect she made a profit from every transaction you made while with her.

The whole thread is about "Noobs" when they first came to Thailand. Do you expect him to be an expert like you on his first trip.

I would much rather listen to a noob tell of their own situations than a self proclaimed expert try and draw statistics from his a$$. Your whole post is just to try and show that you know more than the poster and try and prove that he is an naive. I am sure the Thais just love someone with that kind of attitude. Even if your points were true, which they are most likely not, who cares! He had a fun trip and still enjoys to come to Thailand. Maybe you are mad because you don't enjoy it anymore?

• Like 1

I arrived at midnight on a saturday in january from a very cold Canada. The heat and humidity smoothered me. On the way to my hotel we were caught in a traffic jam at midnite. My driver couldnot find my hotel and had to stop and ask people in the area where it was. Next morning I was in a taxi at 8 am and the most beautiful young woman all dressed to the nines was smiling at me and making motions for me to stop and talk. After years of visiting Mexico Thailand was exotic and exciting. I amazed by the street life it was so vibrant. People selling things everywhere. Tasty looking food everywhere. And the hustle and bustle everyone was busy going some where,on the sidewalks.

But the really big shocker was the rats. I grew up in an area of the wolrd that is rat free. My second night in Bangkok I went to the Malaysia Hotel for dinner and check out their night entertainment. The Malaysia I was told used to be a hot spot for after hours but I think things had changed.Well rats would hit my legs and feet well scurrying around under the tables. I looked under the table and saw them everywhere. I then noticed the curtain behind the singer on stage moviing like the wind was blowing.. I then noticed rats running up and down the curtains. I simply ask for my bill and left. On getting outside I witnessed rats running over everything near the pool,tables chairs etc. I never went back to that area of Bangkok again.

The traffic back then was terrible less cars but no one stayed in a lane,,cars were everywhere.

• Like 2