Obama signals 'new phase' against IS

webfact

Obama signals 'new phase' against Islamic State in Iraq

WASHINGTON: -- President Barack Obama has said the deployment of 1,500 more US troops to Iraq marks a "new phase" against Islamic State militants.

He told CBS TV that the new troops, although non-combat advisers, could help Iraq go on the attack against IS.

A US-led coalition has been helping Iraqi and Kurdish ground forces with hundreds of air strikes since August.

Iraqi forces have now reportedly seized large parts of Baiji - home to Iraq's biggest oil refinery - from IS.

Officials said troops now controlled some 50% of the town, about 200km (130 miles) north of the capital Baghdad.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29979042

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-10

We also have UK troops going out there under the guise of 'training' when Cameron categorically told the people that they would NOT put troops on the ground in this conflict.

Everyone knows there will be a full scale ground combat force from the west. Probably will have to wait until after the next UK election, then it will be all systems go.

I wish they would just stop interfering in middle east wars, they are not any of our business. Let them sort out their own problems in their own way. The west will not be affected half as much as it is with our meddling.

• Like 2

This is nothing new, traditionally, every president that loses the midterm election and is sidelined

devote most of his reaming time in office to foreign policies... let's see if he can repair some of

the damage he done being a sleep at the wheel and sucking his thumb while the world was/is

over run by terrorists....

This is nothing new, traditionally, every president that loses the midterm election and is sidelined

devote most of his reaming time in office to foreign policies... let's see if he can repair some of

the damage he done being a sleep at the wheel and sucking his thumb while the world was/is

Has nothing to with terrorist. The west wants to control the oil.

Has nothing to with terrorist. The west wants to control the oil.

Brilliant point! Regretably, it also has to do with islamic terror. Sadly, manipulating religion to achieve legitimacy or oil rights will have fairly predictable, perhaps intended, consequences. The islamic jihadis are grossly empowered beyond their ability to harness power by the Great Game strategy of powers bent on oil/dominance. The possession of oil/gas or the denial of oil/gas to others is definitely a key ingredient.

Obama said that it would take something like 20 years to defeat ISIS. He covered his ass. tongue.png

I am afraid he 'uncovered' american public ass. If 20 years is a correct estimate people will be paying long after Obama changes his address.

"He told CBS TV that the new troops, although non-combat advisers, could help Iraq go on the attack against IS".

...and that is word perfect for what President Eisenhower said back in 1960 when sending "non-combat advisers" into Vietnam. If one doesn't study history one is bound to repeat it.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Obama said that it would take something like 20 years to defeat ISIS. He covered his ass. alt=tongue.png>

Obama has said, "this is going to be a long-term campaign." That's to defeat ISIS as an organized state. That long-term campaign is not to defeat Islamic jihadists/terrorists. The best for the latter may be only to hold it at bay and contonue to hunt down its leadership. "Long-term" in most Western eyes is up to 5 years as their collectove memory is short; G.W. Bush was at war in Iraq for 10 years. Senator McCain felt the US had to stay at war in Iraq for 100 years. What Obama is trying to convey is that there are no quick fixes in what is really a political conflict of power between major Middle East nations, some of which are US allies or partners. Obama is being perfectly honest about the situation but that sometimes does not play well with the public.

"...Obama is being perfectly honest about the situation but that sometimes does not play well with the public".

If my reading of American politics is correct there hasn't been an American President who has been "perfectly honest" since Abraham Lincoln.

• Like 1

I wish they would just stop interfering in middle east wars, they are not any of our business. Let them sort out their own problems in their own way. The west will not be affected half as much as it is with our meddling.

I'd like to agree. Frankly, if half of M.Easterners kill the other half, it would not upset me. It's a classic 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario for any western leader who could have an impact.

There's a new book out by American retired Army Lt. General Daniel Bolger titled; Why We Lost: A General's Inside Account Of The Iraq And Afghanistan Wars. The opening line in the book reads: "I am a United States Army General, and I lost the Global War on Terrorism." source

Honest almost to a fault. Can you imagine other countries even allowing one of their generals to make such a statement? I can't.

The general goes on to mention how it's so hard to know who the enemy is. US Soldiers enter a village, and any male between 14 and 68 could be a threat. They don't wear uniforms, etc. (those are my paraphrasings)

The M.East is like a giant open sore that won't heal. It keeps oozing and getting additional pathogens. The region should change its name to: 'The Middle Open Sore'. Then there are regions within Africa which are as bad, with their own particular brands of troubles - but that's another topic.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

The general goes on to mention how it's so hard to know who the enemy is. US Soldiers enter a village, and any male between 14 and 68 could be a threat. They don't wear uniforms, etc. (those are my paraphrasings)

Nothing much has changed since 'Nam, then (except the women were equally dangerous. And still are.)

There really is no solution to any of these places, so it was very harsh of a commentator on the radio this morning to say, "This isn't Hope and Change, it's Change and Hope."

&nbsp;

"He told CBS TV that the new troops, although non-combat advisers, could help Iraq go on the attack against IS".

...and that is word perfect for what President Eisenhower said back in 1960 when sending "non-combat advisers" into Vietnam. If one doesn't study history one is bound to repeat it.

RickBradford (quote) ... "This isn't Hope and Change, it's Change and Hope".

loongdavid (quote) "... there hasn't been an American President who has been "perfectly honest" since Abraham Lincoln."

boomerangutang (quote) "..., if half of M.Easterners kill the other half, it would not upset me."

All of you are correct... to some extent.

History teaches us that, - it does not teach us anything! No matter what, we repeat it!

About " ... Change and Hope..." Virgil said it better and much earlier: "All hope abandon ye, who enter here"

Abraham Lincoln (a lawyer USP) fought for freeing blacks... completely! He planned to send them back... succeeded partially. This is rarely mentioned. Or am I wrong?

The other USP (sorry, forgot his name - the one with a horsie smile - he coined the expression 'road to peace' for M.E.) assured the World of peace within 1 year!!! What a Fool!

If you throw in Papa Bush, Sonny Bush, Kennedy Clan - ALL OF THEM very poor scholars of History.

Returning to IS Problem - this IS NOT OUR PROBLEM! But we, the West, MAKE IT OUR PROBLEM. Why? What for? How?

Can't tell you why. Can't tell you what for. Some believe in Conspiracy theory. Some blame it on Imperialism. Some point to Industrial Military Complex. I do not know.

But I can tell you how.

By abandoning Isolationist Policy existing from XIV Century and substituting it with Politically Correct Free Migration and Freedom of Religious Belief Liberalism.

It is a Great Idea... but it does not work with Islam! And remember, Great Ideas lacking practicality are very dangerous! Hope you know the examples.

And, please! PLEASE, do not start the "Good Muslims" arguments. I know the arguments. I even know good peaceful Muslims. But the Good ones are irrelevant.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

It's plain and simple, two things keep America sticking its nose into Middle Eastern affairs - OIL and the American Jewish lobby.

Yea, yea, I know it. There is a good song of Russian antisemites, saying:

"If there is no water from the tap - the bloody Jews drank it all!

But if there is water in the tap - the bloody Jews pissed in it!"

Congratulations! You have proved that Russians are more imaginative and artistic.

Congratulations! You have proved that Russians are more imaginative and artistic.

Attempting to deny fact is akin to denying that night follows day. The only organisation with more influence within Washington than the AJL is the NRA and funnily enough they have an isolationist policy.

Attempting to deny fact is akin to denying that night follows day. The only organisation with more influence within Washington than the AJL is the NRA and funnily enough they have an isolationist policy.

Dear loongdavid.

First, not being an American I can not decipher abbreviations. What is AJL, NRA ???

Second, every group, country and Religion MUST have a Lobby in American corridors of power.

Why (in your opinion) the Jewish Lobby should prevail against the Almighty Arab Lobby (with their oil, oil money and a billion population) is a mystery to me.

Third, now that people like you, who blame Jews for EVERYTHING - from Crusefiction to Climate change - have their own Good Muslim for a President, are still finding the arguments against the bloody Jews!

I think it really stinks. Not being a Muslim, a Judaist or even a Christian - I say give me a Jew any time any place.

At least I am sure I can reach some agreement with a Jew. With your Muslims - I am not sure I'll see another day. In this you may be right.

Have a nice day.

"...now that people like you, who blame Jews for EVERYTHING..."

Once again from the ill-informed and somewhat arrogant, we have a poster who finds it necessary to denigrate and abuse those with an alternative view. Notwithstanding the fact I did not and have not divulged my allegiance one way or the other the poster apparently does not like facts getting in the way of a good story. As a non-American I suggest you do some on-line research and become more attuned to both the issues and abbreviations before making outlandish statements and castigating non-Jews. Incidentally, I am an atheist.