Ramipril Equivalent in Jomtien / Pattaya

BaldPlumber

I get it when I need to at the pharmacy almost next door to the K-Bank exchange booth by the Dongtan Beach police box in Jomtien. It's one of the ones mentioned by KittenKong above but I can't remember which, maybe Tritace? I use 5 mg at a time and 30 tablets cost around 750 Baht, so it's not cheap. Anybody know if it's much cheaper at Fascino?

I have tried several times at Fascino and other drug stores to buy generics for Ramipril and they never have any in stock. At least one of the drugs mentioned by KittenKong, (Ramtace I think...) ,has been withdrawn from the market.

Please let us know if you are successful and which drug you were able to get.

According to the MIMS Thailand website, the available brands of this drug in Thailand are:

Acetate, Corpril, Gempril, Mediram, Ramicard, Ramtace and Tritace, (non generic)

I believe that Sheryl suggested Ramtace a while ago, but even the MIMS website states that it may have been taken off the market.

As I say, whenever I have tried to buy a generic for Ramipril , I have been told 'no-have', which you might think is because they want to sell me the expensive version, but with other drugs, they are more than happy to tell me about cheaper, generic alternatives.

If anyone succeeds in buying this drug for less than 25.70 Baht per 5 mg tab (Fascino's current price) I would be very interested to know.

Thanks.

Edited by Mobi

According to the MIMS Thailand website, the available brands of this drug in Thailand are:

Acetate, Corpril, Gempril, Mediram, Ramicard, Ramtace and Tritace, (non generic)

I believe that Sheryl suggested Ramtace a while ago, but even the MIMS website states that it may have been taken off the market.

As I say, whenever I have tried to buy a generic for Ramipril , I have been told 'no-have', which you might think is because they want to sell me the expensive version, but with other drugs, they are more than happy to tell me about cheaper, generic alternatives.

If anyone succeeds in buying this drug for less than 25.70 Baht per 5 mg tab (Fascino's current price) I would be very interested to know.

Thanks.

Sorry, please not that I have edited the price as it should be 25.70 baht per 5 mg tab. A lot of money....

Ramipril, Lisinopril, Amipril and many others with similar names are ACE inhibiter's used mainly for the treatment of Hypertension (High Blood Pressure).

I am not sure of the law regarding the selling such drugs in Thailand but I am sure you need a doctors prescription to buy, I would suggest seeing a doctor and get prescribed with an equivalent drug.

Unfortunately Hypertension is common in many adults particularly those who:

• are overweight
  • have a relative with high blood pressure
  • smoke
  • are of African or Caribbean descent
  • eat too much salt
  • don't eat enough fruit and vegetables
  • don't do enough exercise
  • drink too much coffee (or other caffeine-based drinks)
  • drink too much alcohol
  • are aged over 65

That I think is most of us.

Hypertension is also known as the silent killer responsible for strokes and heart attacks, so everybody should get there BP checked at least every five years, and more frequently if at risk.

• Like 1

My mother has high blood pressure. My brother is a pharmacist in the US. I can't remember the first drug he recommended, but it was an ACE inhibitor. And she got that cough. It was quite bad. So, he recommended she try losartan. It's working great and is very cheap.

But as mentioned above, it's worth a trip to the doc's office to make sure you're doing the right thing. Self medication is difficult.

I recently learned that getting enough VITAMIN D is helpful in controlling high BP. Not saying it would be enough to get people off meds, but helpful.

You get Vitamin D from direct sunlight, certain foods like fatty fishes, and last resort supplements.

I recently learned that getting enough VITAMIN D is helpful in controlling high BP. Not saying it would be enough to get people off meds, but helpful.

You get Vitamin D from direct sunlight, certain foods like fatty fishes, and last resort supplements.

One of my mom's docs did recommend D3. But can't remember why. Of course the other recommendations are the dreaded:

1. Eat better

2. Drink less

3. Get more exercise

Ugh....where's my fish and chips? 5555

Ramipril, Lisinopril, Amipril and many others with similar names are ACE inhibiter's used mainly for the treatment of Hypertension (High Blood Pressure).

I am not sure of the law regarding the selling such drugs in Thailand but I am sure you need a doctors prescription to buy, I would suggest seeing a doctor and get prescribed with an equivalent drug.

Unfortunately Hypertension is common in many adults particularly those who:

• are overweight
  • have a relative with high blood pressure
  • smoke
  • are of African or Caribbean descent
  • eat too much salt
  • don't eat enough fruit and vegetables
  • don't do enough exercise
  • drink too much coffee (or other caffeine-based drinks)
  • drink too much alcohol
  • are aged over 65
That I think is most of us.

Hypertension is also known as the silent killer responsible for strokes and heart attacks, so everybody should get there BP checked at least every five years, and more frequently if at risk.

You do not need a prescription

• Like 1

I get it when I need to at the pharmacy almost next door to the K-Bank exchange booth by the Dongtan Beach police box in Jomtien. It's one of the ones mentioned by KittenKong above but I can't remember which, maybe Tritace? I use 5 mg at a time and 30 tablets cost around 750 Baht, so it's not cheap. Anybody know if it's much cheaper at Fascino?

I buy several meds at double strength for about the same costs and then use a pill splitter which effectively halves the costs.

Isn't Anapril the same? That is available everywhere also Enaril. Both very inexpensive. But be aware of the dreaded ACE cough

Yes. That is what I was prescribed at the hospital here in Pattaya and most pharmacies stock it.

edit... 20 mg tabs. half a tab every day as I recall.

Edited by WhamBam

Thanks.

That's very similar to the 750 Baht for 30 5 mg tabs that my pharmacist in Jomtien charges me, so I may as well stick with him rather than go to Fascino.

Isn't Anapril the same? That is available everywhere also Enaril. Both very inexpensive. But be aware of the dreaded ACE cough

I've been taking it for five years. My GP was most concerned about the possibility of renal damage as that's a well-known and potentially serious side-effect. Every year when I'm back home to catch up with the family he takes a blood sample and does a renal function test to check that there's nothing nasty happening. If you're taking ramipril it's a good idea to monitor your kidney function regularly.

Yes. That is what I was prescribed at the hospital here in Pattaya and most pharmacies stock it.

edit... 20 mg tabs. half a tab every day as I recall.

Cost of Anapril is 40 baht for a strip of ten, asked at the pharmacy in Foodland this morning.

Ramipril is Altace and Anapril is Enalapril maleate. They are not the same drug although they do work in similar ways.

If you Google you will see many sites where researchers have compared the results of patients on Ramipril Vs patients on Anapril, so they are clearly not the same thing.

I take Ramipril along with other BP reducing drugs such as Amlopine, Prenolol (beta blocker) and I also take other drugs such as Cardura for my prostate which also has PB reducing effects.

All these other drugs must be taken into account before switching from one drug to another and can only be done by a cardiologist who knows your medical history.

I am only mentioning this as I reiterate my statement that I have yet to find a real generic of Ramipril in Thailand, and some of the other drugs mentioned in this thread are not be generics but a different drug entirely, as is the case with Anapril.

Of course for some this may not matter, depending upon the seriousness of their condition.

• Like 1

I searched last year for ramipril 5mg, as the ones i was getting from local phamacy were discontinued, I had no luck in pattaya, i found some indian branded ones in Ban chang area at a very cheap price, i have none left, as i now have a supply from the UK and i only threw out the box about 1 week ago. here is a list of Indian brands - http://www.medindia.net/drug-price/ramipril.htm

i think i had number 61 on the list, but if are having trouble locating some i can check in Ban Chang area on availability and price for you, i see you need 10mg

Edited by steve187

I ran out of my ramipril about a week ago and haven't sourced a replacement yet. I've been checking my BP a couple of times a day since then using a machine that my UK doctor checked against his and am getting an average of 100/70, so I'm going to give them a miss for a while but continue to take the statins as there seems to be no down dude to taking them.