Thailand, Papua New Guinea agree to double trade

webfact

Thailand, Papua New Guinea agree to double trade
By Digital Content

14155952935449-640x390x1.jpg

BEIJING, Nov 10 -- Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and his Papua New Guinean counterpart Peter O'Neill plan to double their nations' bilateral trade by 2017.

Meanwhile, Thailand is ready to sign agreements on fisheries cooperation and ending tax duplication.

Gen Prayut and Mr O'Neill met this morning on the sidelines of the 22nd Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Beijing set from Nov 9 to 11.

Thai government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said the leaders discussed economic cooperation.

Gen Prayut invited Papua New Guinea officials and the business community to visit Thailand and boost diplomatic and economic relations.

The spokesman said Thailand is ready to promote bilateral cooperation on trade, investment, fishery, energy and development. He said that both countries agreed to double the value of their mutual trade to US$720 million in 2017.

Thailand is is prepared to end tax duplication, he said, negotiate mutual investment promotion and protection and will sign a pact on fishery cooperation, as already agreed.

The Thai prime minister also thanked Papua New Guinea for understanding the political development of Thailand and for always supporting Thailand, the spokesman said.

Today Gen Prayut was also set to have meet for talks with Philippine President Benigno Aquino III. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-10

Having spent the last 2 and a half years working in PNG, I'd still question what they have to offer. They have vast quantities of LPG and a lot of Gold mining but I'm not so sure that would be something for Thailand to import. I'm therefore a bit surprised at the figures being quoted here for the trade value.

• Like 1

Having spent the last 2 and a half years working in PNG, I'd still question what they have to offer. They have vast quantities of LPG and a lot of Gold mining but I'm not so sure that would be something for Thailand to import. I'm therefore a bit surprised at the figures being quoted here for the trade value.

Exactly.......only exports I can think could be fish, nacre shell, sea slugs....and possibly now LNG.....but much of that's pre-sold......

But, they need rice....and crappy rice is fine!

thailand is a major importer of gold

• Like 1

What has PNG to sell apart from flint ?

Gold mainly but Platinum clad metals and copper ore, they also transport quite a bit of crude oil. Over half of their exports go to Oz.

I thought Australia sold commodities not bought them.

FYI. post-170572-0-23886300-1415620618_thumb.

What has PNG to sell apart from flint ?

PNG is something of an unknown quantity in the trading arena and has been since independence. However, with the relatively recent find of rare minerals, increased gold reserves, LNG and many others, I guess there will be some countries like Thailand but especially China that will court PNG for favourable trading status.

Besty676 I'm thinking the fisheries comment and access to territorial waters would be an earner.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Great plan General/PM, first sell off the country to China then make outlandish claims of great trade deals. About all you and these minion countries have, is the same retarded intellect. What next a deal with some backwater African or South American country. But to be fair, one could not expect Thailand to feast on the main dishes, so the crumbs it is. Wow! you are the man.

Just about a good partner for the General and his gun toting military thugs to do a deal with.

Just Google Wiki and find out what sort of a country he is getting into bed with.

Small quote below;

"Corruption is rife in Papua New Guinea (PNG).[1] According to The Economist: “PNG's governments are notorious for corruption, and ever run the risk of turning the state into a fully-fledged kleptocracy"