Shopping while suspicious ... security guard at Friendship has my number!

Jingthing

OK, I admit this is a funny one, and what do you know, NOT a baht bus thread!

At first I thought, this must just be a coincidence.

Then I thought, WOW, Friendship must have REALLY beefed up their security recently.

But then it kept happening, again, again, and again ... like clockwork.

What is it?

Well, when I go shopping at Friendship there is a security guard who seems to be ALWAYS on my case!

Move aisle ... look right, look left, there he is AGAIN looking at me!

Again and again.

What can I think but think he thinks he's gonna catch a thief ... in his mind ... ME.

The experience reminds me of when I was a wild hippie teenager and they probably had a good reason to keep an eye on me. Also what black Americans tell me they often experience, getting racially profiled and special attention in some stores.

What could it be? Why me?

Well, I don't know and I don't intend to ask.

Maybe someone who looks me (we all look alike, innit) really has done something naughty in that store. Maybe I'm being racially profiled (probably for Arab/Middle Eastern, Thais don't usually know from Woody Allen type Jews).

Not looking for advice. I'm not going to do anything about it. But it does make my shopping trips a little CREEPY. Being WATCHED and knowing it, in other words.

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a crush on you, what else could it be!

And good to know that you are a woody Allen lookalike, this makes our profiling easier.

Restaurateurs and Baht bus drivers out there, if you see someone similar to woody Allen taking notes, it's HIM!

:-P

He seems past his raging hormones date.

Yeah, but how do you know I really look like Woody Allen; I might actually look like Jerry Seinfeld or perhaps Yasser Arafat, just to PUNK y'all?!? crazy.gif

Edited by Jingthing

JT

next time he looks give him a wink-he,ll either be embarassed or you,ll have a date clap2.gif

I'm not sure I can pull of a convincing wink to this character. He's pretty severe looking. But I'm considering licking my lips. I could be thinking about the delicious dishes I will be cooking with the food purchased.

Which brings up another question. It's not like I don't buy stuff there. I buy plenty. Isn't the typical shoplifter profile someone who buys a cheap candy and has stuffed some caviar in their jockey shorts? You know ... the old "Russian bulge" gambit.

Edited by Jingthing

I'd walk up & yammer away at him in English, get the blank look, then ask him in (in my basic Thai) why he's looking at me all the time.

Make sure there are a few people around & make him look stupid(er) & he'll likely run the next time you show up.

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!! It's that guy that made me look stupid!

Then again he may be learning English & wants to yap with you a bit to practice. If so encourage him. Lord knows lots of them need that.

I don't plan on confronting him but that does give me a fun idea. Perhaps act like I think he a customer service worker and ask him about recipes for guacamole. When he gives a blank stare, just keep asking LOUDER AND LOUDER (in English of course) in try ugly American style. Of course, that could backfire if the theories about his having a crush are true.

Maybe you are looking at this all wrong and the security guard just thinks you are sexy man.

I thought of that. That can't be it. The security guard isn't a zoftig Russkie woman of a certain age. With those types, I need to get out the bat!

Do you wear sunglasses while shopping?