UN urges Thailand against deporting Myanmar boatpeople

webfact

UN urges Thailand against deporting Myanmar boatpeople

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- The United Nations said Tuesday it had urged Thai authorities against deporting more than 200 Muslim boatpeople from Myanmar being held in southern Thailand after they were intercepted en route to Malaysia.

Thai police arrested 259 people on an island off the southern province of Ranong Saturday, days after activists reported a surge in the number of stateless Rohingya Muslims fleeing Myanmar's restive Rakhine state.

"We're seeking details from the authorities and appealing for them not to deport the group to a place where their lives or freedom could be threatened," said Vivian Tan, a spokeswoman for the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) in Bangkok.

She added that if the detainees were found to have fled persecution the UNHCR asked they be granted "temporary stay, assistance and protection in Thailand until longer-term solutions are found".

Thousands of Rohingya -- a Muslim minority group not recognised as citizens in Buddhist-majority Myanmar -- have fled deadly communal unrest in Rakhine since 2012. Most have headed for mainly Muslim Malaysia.

Myanmar views its population of roughly 800,000 Rohingya -- described by the UN as one of the world's most persecuted minorities -- as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and denies them citizenship.

On Tuesday Ranong deputy provincial police commander Kritsak Songmulnak told AFP that officials were determining whether the detainees had entered Myanmar illegally or were victims of trafficking.

"259 Myanmar Muslims were arrested on Saturday, of these 13 are children... They said they wanted to go to Malaysia to work to earn money," he said.

"We have no policy to deport them yet," added Kritsak.

Last month Thai officials arrested 53 Rohingya migrants in southern Thailand for illegal immigration but after further investigation declared them to be victims of trafficking.

Rights groups say the stateless migrants often fall into the hands of people-traffickers.

They have also criticised Thailand in the past for pushing boatloads of Rohingya entering Thai waters back out to sea and holding migrants in overcrowded facilities.

Two weeks ago the Arakan Project, a Rohingya rights group, said around 900 people a day were making the perilous journey by sea to flee Myanmar.

Director Chris Lewa called the exodus "unprecedented", saying some 100,000 people have fled by sea from western Myanmar since June 2012, when conflict between Buddhist and Muslim communities spiralled into bloodshed across Rakhine.

The violence left 200 people dead and a further 140,000 in displacement camps, mainly Rohingya.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-11-12

259 arrested and detained and another thread says 258 have gone missing from an immigration detention centre. Was one in the toilet when the others simply disappeared? Then we have another thread saying 200+ being pushed back out to sea.

Coincidence?

• Like 2

Thailand - the Hub of Human Rights

It just can't be a member of the UN Human Rights Council. The UN General Assembly doesn't often get things right 'en masse' but placing Thailand last in the short list of candidates for membership in the HRC was unusually wise.

Yeah right ... Thailand is surely going to listen to the UN ....huh.png

send them on there way ... let them go to Malaysia .. plenty more muslims there to fight with.

Makes me wonder, what a good Christian like you are doing in a Bhuddist country??

their way (or is that grade 7 curriculum?)

• Like 2

These boat people have no visa to enter thailand, so it is only correct to refuse their entry.

My faith in humanity is restored! It's so good to see that compassion, understanding, respect, tolerance etc are still alive and well here. Thanks for reminding me!

How is your application to sponsor a Rohingya going ??

• Like 1

send them on there way ... let them go to Malaysia .. plenty more muslims there to fight with.

Makes me wonder, what a good Christian like you are doing in a Bhuddist country??

True to form....another juvenile comment

• Like 1

These boat people have no visa to enter thailand, so it is only correct to refuse their entry.

My faith in humanity is restored! It's so good to see that compassion, understanding, respect, tolerance etc are still alive and well here. Thanks for reminding me!

My ongoing charitable/humanitarian work is going fine thanks ... unlike many others here it seems ...

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Deport the lot of them or more will follow, send them to an Islamic state where they will fit in.

What on earth are you two on about?

They were en-route to Malaysia when THE THAIS plucked them from the water and detained them.

Now they want to float them back out to sea and the UN have warned them not to.

I find it totally absurd that you two IMMIGRANTS feel you have the right to voice an opinion on Thai immigration.

Despicable. and inhumane that you both are.

I find it totally absurd that you should comment on anything

You probably will find it hard to comprehend, but the responsibily here lies with the international community. Also known by the name: Humanity!!

A society is judged by the way, it treats its weakest members!!

• Like 2

I assume that the members who want to see those stateless human beings towed to high sea are converted buddhists, wake up at five in the morning to give alms to monks, have observed Buddhist Lent and therefore duly abstained from alcohol and any meat for its whole duration, speak and write Thai perfectly, and have even not merely adopted Thainess as a way of life and philosophy but actually obtained Thai nationality.

However, I am not convinced that the majority of Thais agree with your fear and hate of other religious faiths. I am truly disgusted by some of the comments above.

Edited by scavenger
  • Like 2

Can we assume that's because Thai Immigration is stretched with administering visas and permits to stay to the 'more valuable' foreigners wishing to live in and visit Thailand.

It is possible these Rohingya have no desire to live in Thailand but prefer the charity of fellow Muslims in Malaysia.

Perhaps the Royal Thai Navy can satisfy your sense of superiority by towing the boats out to sea and using them as live fire targets. Final solution?

I think there is nothing wrong with the 'mixing' of religions and they cohabit without causing problems - but when an 'alien' of a different faith tries to convert the hosts, I guess someone has to put the foot down... and hard.

Since the UN was established somewhere around 1945, has it ever given any good advice to any country and improve it?

Has anyone ever noticed how selective it is in giving out 'good' advice or how it has not 'seen' destruction of communities?

Or am I Hallucinating?

w00t.gif

• Like 1

I think there is nothing wrong with the 'mixing' of religions and they cohabit without causing problems - but when an 'alien' of a different faith tries to convert the hosts, I guess someone has to put the foot down... and hard.

Then the Thai authorities should close Thaivisa, Because 90% of the posts here are about convincing the stupid natives about doing it the way of their superior Western visitors!!

And just as we stereotype all muslims, I would expect the Thais to do the same with us. In their eyes, we are all Christians trying to getting it our way in a Bhuddist country!!

• Like 1

Deport the lot of them or more will follow, send them to an Islamic state where they will fit in.

See my comment above.

The world has compassion fatigue i'm afraid when it come to yet another lot who seem to think they get get around immigration rules by crying about being persecuted. If you feel so strongly give your spare room up for a few.

• Like 1

See my comment above.

The world has compassion fatigue i'm afraid when it come to yet another lot who seem to think they get get around immigration rules by crying about being persecuted. If you feel so strongly give your spare room up for a few.

Well, you certainly have that compassion fatigue you mention.

As for the spare room, I'm afraid not, but I hope that the other "charitable" or simply compassionate things I do more than make up for the lack of a spare room.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They were en-route to Malaysia when THE THAIS plucked them from the water and detained them.

I find it totally absurd that you two IMMIGRANTS feel you have the right to voice an opinion on Thai immigration.

I find it totally absurd that you should comment on anything

So he objects to the lack of compassion from two individuals who, most likely similar to you, are probably sitting in their air conditioned apartments, sipping a beer after a full meal, their (and your) biggest worry being "what am I going to do tonight", and you find it absurd that he should comment? I find it absurd that you, and all of the other dispassionate trolls on here, are wasting space on this planet. But I don't worry about it too much...karma's a bitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, so because someone is an "immigrant" they don't have the right to voice opinions? That's logical right? Be an immigrant and have your rights removed!

Since the UN was established somewhere around 1945, has it ever given any good advice to any country and improve it?

Has anyone ever noticed how selective it is in giving out 'good' advice or how it has not 'seen' destruction of communities?

Or am I Hallucinating?

alt=w00t.gif>

The UN has more member nations that are run by dictatorship then any other form of government. Think on that for a while. I think the UN is pretty close to useless.

Then the Thai authorities should close Thaivisa, Because 90% of the posts here are about convincing the stupid natives about doing it the way of their superior Western visitors!!

And just as we stereotype all muslims, I would expect the Thais to do the same with us. In their eyes, we are all Christians trying to getting it our way in a Bhuddist country!!

I wonder how many Thai authorities that matter spend their day at TVF...

These harmless banter wouldn't bother anyone.

Just entertainment...

Or am I Hallucinating?

alt=w00t.gif>

The UN has more member nations that are run by dictatorship then any other form of government. Think on that for a while. I think the UN is pretty close to useless.

I think the UN is pretty close to useless?

It IS useless, except to the employed who enjoy a 5* life at the expense of the poor, the poorest of the poor.

I thought humans had something called a 'conscience' - Do they?