Massive damages reported from the Thai rice pledging scheme

webfact

Massive damages reported from the rice pledging scheme

BANGKOK, 12 Nov 2014, (NNT) - According to a finding by Kasetsart University's Faculty of Economy, farmers participating in the rice pledging scheme did not make substantial increase in their income compared to others who did not take part in the program.

The report shows that participating farmers were able to make less than 1,000 baht higher than those who did not take part in the scheme, while indicating that the rice pledging scheme had cost the previous Government 985 billion baht. The damage incurred by the program is expected to be in the range of 540 - 750 billion baht.

The finding indicated that the pledging scheme was extremely not worth the budget spent, and farmers who participated in the scheme did not use additional income for improving their production capacity as originally intended. The report thus strongly suggested the next administration to take the long term effects into consideration when issuing policies pertaining to agricultural development.

It pointed out that a better approach to farm assistance is to increase farmers' competitiveness by reducing operation costs, and increasing the quality of their crops.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-12 footer_n.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Curious.

Does that mean that farmers outside the scheme were somehow able to obtain over 14,000 baht per ton? And is the faculty of economics suggesting that this would have been possible in the absence of the rice scheme? Or perhaps is it that the administrative overhead of participation in the scheme ate up all the extra revenue?

Although it's not clear that it really matters - as the report points out, the foolish farmers wasted whatever extra income they got anyway.

Fortunately it is already the new government's policy to "increase farmers' competitiveness by reducing operation costs, and increasing the quality of their crops". So this report confirms we're on the right track.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

Curious.

Does that mean that farmers outside the scheme were somehow able to obtain over 14,000 baht per ton? And is the faculty of economics suggesting that this would have been possible in the absence of the rice scheme? Or perhaps is it that the administrative overhead of participation in the scheme ate up all the extra revenue?

Although it's not clear that it really matters - as the report points out, the foolish farmers wasted whatever extra income they got anyway.

Fortunately it is already the new government's policy to "increase farmers' competitiveness by reducing operation costs, and increasing the quality of their crops". So this report confirms we're on the right track.

"So this report confirms we're on the right track"

WE?? Congratulations on your Thai citizenship!!

• Like 1

A bit of maths, then, please. When this report is correct (no, not speaking to you apologists!), and if I understand the figures well, considering the total in tons of the harvested rice pledged in Dr Thaksin's scam, are ...(?), I don't know, so I throw my hat at it, let's go big, say 45 million tons, and the net difference the participating farmers have collected on top of what the non-participating farmers got, is indeed a meager Baht 1,000.- per ton, when I multiply both numbers, ta-da-rah, what's the result, yes, yes, tell me: 45 Billion Baht!

Yes, but we still have a lot of rice in store! OK, let us be VERY optimistic: let us say there would be 18 million tons of good, Thai(!?), rice stored, and the market value would be as high as 12,000.- Baht a ton, what do we get: 216 Billion Baht of rice indeed. Add the 45 Billion to it, together 261 Billion Baht.

Yes, but there were the expenses, for milling, for storing, aso! OK again, right, let us be generous, it"s not our money (anymore), say 2,000 Baht per ton, that's a hefty 90 Billion Baht, bringing the total too: 351 Billion Baht.

Let us even throw another 49 Billion Baht (I'd like to have 1 lousy percent of...), for not-accounted-for losses and extras, commissions-under-the-table, plus some travelling and shopping, to come to an easy to remember amount of: 400 Billion Baht, shall we?

So, that'd be the maximum this 'rice scheme' should have been costing to ALL Thais, I don't say 'only' the Thai taxpayers, no ALL Thai people, do you hear me in the 'red villages' (guess not) because when about none of that money has ever reached your empty purse, it is so much money, you, the assisted ones, have LOST TOO, that was said to be for you but that you will never get, so, what about that or those idol(s) of yours, hmm!

We're not finished yet: what is that makes Dr Thaksin's 'rice scheme' was not really a scheme at all, but truly a huge scam, is that it were no 400 Billion Baht, it was most probably the DOUBLE, 800,000,000,000 Baht, maybe even 1 TRILLION, or more, will we ever know it all!?

And the big question remaining then is: WHERE HAVE THOSE 'MISSING' 400 TO 600 BILLION BAHT GONE TO???

Will anyone here have the nerve to pretend that HUGE amount has not found its way to anyone's pocket (no, for sure not any small farmer's!), and that possibly no-one would be responsible for the huge mess of a scam, and that the 'evaporated' money should not be traced, and recuperated, +++, from the ones who got, more, wealthy from it!?

And IMO, why not start at the top, with... the Shinawatras wihich are the top-players in the scam-scheme: from inception through realisation, and maintaining it alive, over benefitting of it in many ways, till the bitter end of it!

I'm not a fan of 'witch hunts', but here we do have a great sorcerer, a (his) witch, a bunch of black souls and many bad spirits large and small, so (true) Thai people, what will it be? Time for you to go hunting? Or not? Now or never!

P.S.: when you would, but I doubt you will have the gutts for it, don't forget to bring stakes, some wood, straw and matches too! Maybe some abused persons will even bring some gasoline they kept since 2010...

I really enjoyed this. But I feel Thaksin and his ilk and even the Faculty Of economics all went to the Wall Street Club of selling Junk Bonds to 3rd world countries

• Like 1

This Rice scam has cost Thailand and its people 1 Trillion Baht allegedly ?

This money has been paid out.

The Farmers are saying they did nor receive this.

Yingluck and her lawyers are struggling to not be indicted for this graft.

So where and to whom has this huge amount of money gone ????

Can some one please clarify this as I am confused .

• Like 1

A bit of maths, then, please. When this report is correct (no, not speaking to you apologists!), and if I understand the figures well, considering the total in tons of the harvested rice pledged in Dr Thaksin's scam, are ...(?), I don't know, so I throw my hat at it, let's go big, say 45 million tons, and the net difference the participating farmers have collected on top of what the non-participating farmers got, is indeed a meager Baht 1,000.- per ton, when I multiply both numbers, ta-da-rah, what's the result, yes, yes, tell me: 45 Billion Baht!

Yes, but we still have a lot of rice in store! OK, let us be VERY optimistic: let us say there would be 18 million tons of good, Thai(!?), rice stored, and the market value would be as high as 12,000.- Baht a ton, what do we get: 216 Billion Baht of rice indeed. Add the 45 Billion to it, together 261 Billion Baht.

Yes, but there were the expenses, for milling, for storing, aso! OK again, right, let us be generous, it"s not our money (anymore), say 2,000 Baht per ton, that's a hefty 90 Billion Baht, bringing the total too: 351 Billion Baht.

Let us even throw another 49 Billion Baht (I'd like to have 1 lousy percent of...), for not-accounted-for losses and extras, commissions-under-the-table, plus some travelling and shopping, to come to an easy to remember amount of: 400 Billion Baht, shall we?

So, that'd be the maximum this 'rice scheme' should have been costing to ALL Thais, I don't say 'only' the Thai taxpayers, no ALL Thai people, do you hear me in the 'red villages' (guess not) because when about none of that money has ever reached your empty purse, it is so much money, you, the assisted ones, have LOST TOO, that was said to be for you but that you will never get, so, what about that or those idol(s) of yours, hmm!

We're not finished yet: what is that makes Dr Thaksin's 'rice scheme' was not really a scheme at all, but truly a huge scam, is that it were no 400 Billion Baht, it was most probably the DOUBLE, 800,000,000,000 Baht, maybe even 1 TRILLION, or more, will we ever know it all!?

And the big question remaining then is: WHERE HAVE THOSE 'MISSING' 400 TO 600 BILLION BAHT GONE TO???

Will anyone here have the nerve to pretend that HUGE amount has not found its way to anyone's pocket (no, for sure not any small farmer's!), and that possibly no-one would be responsible for the huge mess of a scam, and that the 'evaporated' money should not be traced, and recuperated, +++, from the ones who got, more, wealthy from it!?

And IMO, why not start at the top, with... the Shinawatras wihich are the top-players in the scam-scheme: from inception through realisation, and maintaining it alive, over benefitting of it in many ways, till the bitter end of it!

I'm not a fan of 'witch hunts', but here we do have a great sorcerer, a (his) witch, a bunch of black souls and many bad spirits large and small, so (true) Thai people, what will it be? Time for you to go hunting? Or not? Now or never!

P.S.: when you would, but I doubt you will have the gutts for it, don't forget to bring stakes, some wood, straw and matches too! Maybe some abused persons will even bring some gasoline they kept since 2010...

An enjoyable read!

But you conveniently "forgot" to mention, that during those years Thailand actually exported rice worth 316 billion baht, add to that domestic consumption during 3 years. Since you like round numbers, let us put it at 84 billion baht. And suddenly the loss gets 400 billion smaller!!

Not defending the corruptridden ricepledging, but let us deal in facts!!

Source for riceexports:http://www.thairiceexporters.or.th/List_%20of_statistic.htm

You forgot to account for the fact that 1 tonne in equates to 0.6kg out.

The processing loss accounts for maybe 30% more than you have allowed

The rouge monk who was reported as to having at least10 bank accounts, each of which saw several million moved thru it each day. It would be interesting to see the names of people who were involved in both the rice and the monk scam. There was a huge amount of loss with reliable estimates of 30 to 40 billion us dollars in the rice scam.This amount sent out via banking system, truck, air, or whatever should be tracable if the legal systems in Thailand worked together with the true intent of jailing and seizing assits of those involved. Of course if you give imunity to the monks and the crooked politicans, millers, storage owners, etc , you certainly decrease your chances of any substational recovery.

This info was published several days prior to legal action being taken by the authorties (RTP) etc, the monk abscounded and is reported to now be in Cambodia, the accounts were drawn down to virtually nothing Another monk/abbot was recently demoted for using donated money (millions of baht) to play the stock exchange for personal gain, add the published/admitted fact that the vast majority of temples do not send in a yearly accounting as they are required and are not punished. This might not be connected to money laundering, but the amounts reported handled can be a great temptation and abuse of the system appears to be known, but not followed up to stop future abuse.

• Like 2

The rouge monk who was reported as to having at least10 bank accounts, each of which saw several million moved thru it each day. It would be interesting to see the names of people who were involved in both the rice and the monk scam. There was a huge amount of loss with reliable estimates of 30 to 40 billion us dollars in the rice scam.This amount sent out via banking system, truck, air, or whatever should be tracable if the legal systems in Thailand worked together with the true intent of jailing and seizing assits of those involved. Of course if you give imunity to the monks and the crooked politicans, millers, storage owners, etc , you certainly decrease your chances of any substational recovery.

This info was published several days prior to legal action being taken by the authorties (RTP) etc, the monk abscounded and is reported to now be in Cambodia, the accounts were drawn down to virtually nothing Another monk/abbot was recently demoted for using donated money (millions of baht) to play the stock exchange for personal gain, add the published/admitted fact that the vast majority of temples do not send in a yearly accounting as they are required and are not punished. This might not be connected to money laundering, but the amounts reported handled can be a great temptation and abuse of the system appears to be known, but not followed up to stop future abuse.

The only reason to create such an enormous free charity system like this with no accounting is money laundering.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Curious.

This your or fabie's idea - don't like the post so attach the poster.

• Like 2

Curious.

What a thoughtless and gratuitous comment. I don't know about cocopops, but I have lived and worked in this country for 13 years and have a family here. I consider myself more a part of Thai society than my own country and would also use the pronoun "we" in the context that he did. Is this wrong for a farang, or do you have the twisted view that no one from another country can integrate with the general population here. Note that I am not talking about being accepted as an equal by the rich and powerful, but by the wonderful working class Thais I deal with every day !!!

What a bunch of hypocrates you are (this post and a few more with the same content).

90 % of the posts on Thaivisa are Thaibashing, where it is very much "us' and "them", but suddenly when it fits someones political ideologi, it becomes "we". Hence my reply to cocopops post.

I note you use the word farang about yourself. Interesting!!

For your information, I have been here longer than you and also have a Thai family. And yes I have integrated to a certain extent, but to me it will always be "us" and "them" Maybe my loss??

• Like 1

Put the Shinawatra Clan on trial and clean out these Augean Stables once and for all.

Scoop: Augeas just filed a libel complaint in Bkk, arguing his stables were by far not that dirty, and calling him Shinawatra was an insult to his name... LOL

• Like 1

What a thoughtless and gratuitous comment. I don't know about cocopops, but I have lived and worked in this country for 13 years and have a family here. I consider myself more a part of Thai society than my own country and would also use the pronoun "we" in the context that he did. Is this wrong for a farang, or do you have the twisted view that no one from another country can integrate with the general population here. Note that I am not talking about being accepted as an equal by the rich and powerful, but by the wonderful working class Thais I deal with every day !!!

What a bunch of hypocrates you are (this post and a few more with the same content).

90 % of the posts on Thaivisa are Thaibashing, where it is very much "us' and "them", but suddenly when it fits someones political ideologi, it becomes "we". Hence my reply to cocopops post.

I note you use the word farang about yourself. Interesting!!

For your information, I have been here longer than you and also have a Thai family. And yes I have integrated to a certain extent, but to me it will always be "us" and "them" Maybe my loss??

so you have been here more than 25 years but only a member of TV for not quite 3 months, I take it that you have been in here under other aliases for those 25 years then. You are averaging close to 400 posts a month and all of them are either pro ptp/red shirts or they are attacking all the other posters, going by these figures that makes you a pretty big troll and with what you are now saying it also brings into question the truthfulness of your statements. Yes there is thai bashing in here but a lot of it is deserved or do you think that killing, raping people etc is ok if your thai. I also call myself a farang because thats what I am here, doesnt bother me in the least, mate, I think you are just full of it and spend all your time in here because you dont have any friends to associate with because they know exactly what you are like, all you do is take your own frustrations out on others and hide behind the anonimity of the forum, pretty childish really.thumbsup.gif

seajae, I read your part from the bottom up, so I thought you answered to Robespierre, but then I saw been here 25 years and I knew I was wrong... LOL

Curious.

Ahh, the bitter and twisted with only negative comments. When you cannot say anything negative about something you make something up as in your comment here.

Time to get out of the shadows mate and grasp reality.

It is looking bright when you take off the blood red glasses.

But my dear fellow, you are substantially less eloquent when you have nothing to copy and paste: how very odd! Never mind, my dear friend - let peace and reconciliation be with you too.

This would only be a brief report on what would no doubt be a comprehensive study.

For instance there is no mention of the increased rentals that have been reported as charged by landlords nor the increases in the costs of chemical sprays and fertilisers charged by suppliers. (so they could all get their cut)

These extra costs would have impacted more on those who did not participate in the scheme for they got no extra income yet would still have had to pay the increases.

Don't see how a previous poster managed to work out that farmers wasted the money they got, perhaps a brilliant economist which I am not.

This report certainly adds to the list of studies which show there has been massive loss associated with the scheme and that there must be accountability for that loss. If there is not it will be a clear signal to politicians of the future that they can get away with anything, that the country does not need.

I agree with you 100% on that. Unfortunately Yingluck being in charge of the whole fiasco at least the face in Thailand will cause quite an uproar if she is sentenced to any jail time which she certainly deserves. There fore to my way of thinking impeaching her will not cause near as much sentiment for her. Not that I am sure impeachment is actually possible to do retroactively but it would serve as a warning for future politicians and keep the public happier.

• Like 1