Thailand intercepting emails

AyG

It appears that the authorities here are deliberately preventing encryption of email sent via Google and Yahoo (and probably others) by using fake servers to intercept access. This means they can grab your email address and password as well as read all your messages.

“Always eyes watching you and the voice enveloping you. Asleep or awake, indoors or out of doors, in the bath or bed - no escape. Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimeters in your skull.”

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/google-yahoo-smtp-email-severs-hit-thailand

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Setting the email client to explicitly use TLS connecting on ports 465 or 587 is still safe and communication remains encrypted. Only clients that are set to use encryption if available connecting on the default SMTP port would fall foul of the attack."

Move along now, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

Where in the cited article does it say or even imply that it is the government that is responsible for this ?

Could just as easily be "hackers" fishing for private information

Hackers who have access to multiple ISP's infrastructure. There's a word for that : NSA.

Then why is it only True Internet and TOT ADSL , not all ISPs. Seems to me if it were the government of Thailand or NSA, they would be doing it to all networks, not just a few

Sorry, but this whole story stinks of misinformation

• Like 2

Thats interesting.

Since quite a while I do a regular check of my internet (ToT ADSL, later ToT fibre) with "The ICSI Netalyzr" from Berkeley University.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html

(Java basedm runs a couple of minutes, some results hard to understand for non geeks)

Checking through protocols from 2013 and 2014 and I always see this warning:

Erkennung unsichtbarer Proxies (?): Warnung

Wir haben die folgenden Proxies entdeckt:

• Port: 25 , Response Time: 35 ms

(For me) its in German and it means:

Detection of invisible proxies: Warning

We have detected the following proxies:

Port 25, Response Time 35 ms

35 ms that is in Thailand for sure.

Also since a short while it says that "my" IP is listed in Spamhaus blocking lists XBL PBL

??

Should I mention that I don't send/receive mail locally, but only use webmail?

Edited by KhunBENQ

This has been going on for a while, and the absolute reason you must use a VPN.

I quote:

"The US National Security Agency uses computer servers in Thailand to help run a massive collection of information about internet users, and to store and analyse the data”.

Taken from this article on the new internet security/privacy laws in Thailand: http://www.thethailandlife.com/vpn-thailand-law-risk-solution

Thats interesting.

Since quite a while I do a regular check of my internet (ToT ADSL, later ToT fibre) with "The ICSI Netalyzr" from Berkeley University.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html

(Java basedm runs a couple of minutes, some results hard to understand for non geeks)

Checking through protocols from 2013 and 2014 and I always see this warning:

Erkennung unsichtbarer Proxies (?): Warnung

Wir haben die folgenden Proxies entdeckt:

• Port: 25 , Response Time: 35 ms

(For me) its in German and it means:

Detection of invisible proxies: Warning

We have detected the following proxies:

Port 25, Response Time 35 ms

35 ms that is in Thailand for sure.

Also since a short while it says that "my" IP is listed in Spamhaus blocking lists XBL PBL

??

Should I mention that I don't send/receive mail locally, but only use webmail?

It's Finspy, a German company based in Munich but with a lot of business in Pullach, Germany. They produce spy software for law enforcement and security agencies throughout the world.

Where in the cited article does it say or even imply that it is the government that is responsible for this ?

Could just as easily be "hackers" fishing for private information

Hackers who have access to multiple ISP's infrastructure. There's a word for that : NSA.

Then why is it only True Internet and TOT ADSL , not all ISPs. Seems to me if it were the government of Thailand or NSA, they would be doing it to all networks, not just a few

Sorry, but this whole story stinks of misinformation

They are going for the Red shirts. AIS, Loxinfo and DTAC stay out of this games so I would say CAT, TOT and True are all some how linked to the current JUNTA. It's not the NSA.

FinSpy useless against iPhone

FinSpy has the capabilities to infiltrate Android, Blackberry, and older Microsoft handsets, iPhones are out of reach unless the device's core security protocols have changed through jailbreaking.

It works on Jailbreak devices and their are plenty in the market with a large number of devices in Thailand.If you don't jailbreak it you are connected to NSA.

Edited by MobileContent

nothing new really. Any emails, chats and whatever you post on the internet can be intercepted and read by many institutions...what's the point?

do you want to get upset about it or just move on and adjust your behaviour accordingly? Don't use the internet, email,chat for sensitive and confidential communication.

Unaware Thailand had Finspy. Then again, should not be surprised. Is that the one the EU just put a form of sanction on? Ahem, "law enforcement and security agencies"? How about repressive regimes that spy on their citizens because to them it is the citizen that is the enemy. Even Tor has been hacked by NSA now. Look for a fix in a couple of weeks. Google and Yahoo do use a bit of encryption, bet on the "initials" already having the backdoor to that as they do Skype etc. Only VPN, Tor using "bridges" and end to end encryption is relatively safe from the 5 spying eyes. And that will guarantee you that you have just gone on the list, and it isn't the one Santa is keeping. Yea, I'm paranoid, people used to tell me that, then tricky dick nixon came for me for real. Ah, for the "if you don't do anything wrong" I broke no laws, just spoke truth to the power. A jury and US Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas said so. It is even worse now than then.

...and nobody to oversee what they do once in there.....

...I have been told some real horror stories...violations....emails being sent from peoples' email addresses.....

...and screwing people up in every which way...

Edited by SOTIRIOS

This isn't unique to Thailand -- Comcast in the US has been reported to do the same in the fight against spam. (A crap excuse in my opinion -- there are better ways that don't compromise privacy and security.) The monitoring is possible because the initial negotiation between the client and server is unencrypted and can therefore be intercepted and manipulated. Is there a way to avoid it? Yes, by not using STARTTLS and using SSL/TLS instead (e.g. in Thunderbird go to Tools > Account settings > Account name > Server settings and make sure it's SSL/TLS).

Whoever immediately brings up the NSA and the US in this scenario: please keep in mind that the Thai authorities have a number of reasons on their own for doing this. I'm sure you can think of more than a few if you try.

Edited by kaydee412

This will be the NSA doing what they do. They are known to have a presence in Thailand.

I could be totally off the mark with this one but: I would think if you were an American and a person of "interest" or were just down right wanted, Thailand would NOT be the place to be sending out emails and or trying to preserve you clandestine identity. I can't think of another country in the region that the US is closer to than Thailand. I'm always learning new things that make me (half jokingly refer to Thailand as the 51st state, usually I reserve that title for Israel)

so if you have nothing to hide no problem ..

That's an extremely narrow (and specious) argument.

What about a right to privacy? I wouldn't want the government installing spy cameras in my bedroom, though nothing I do there is illegal. Similarly I don't want the government spying upon my private conversations.

What about the chance of error? The government might accidentally leak the email addresses and passwords of hundreds of thousands of individuals.

What about the possibility of blackmail? For example, it's not illegal (AFAIK) in Thailand to have a mistress. However, that might be revealed by examining email leaving the adulterer open to blackmail.

And as Cardinal Richlieu wrote "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged".

That's a lot of typing. Are you sure? The tongue, the cheek, the keyboard. It's a lot of typing. :)

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or Nth number world, people do dirty things.

The difference is some do it in a refined and discreet way while others do it crudely.

What ever said and done by anyone, the law of the jungle is what rules this planet today.

Edit

Some of the insults throw by members at others in this forum itself proves it.

sad.png

Edited by ravip