Not-unhealthy "splurge" local restaurant dishes ... 400 to 1000 baht per person

Jingthing

And now for something A LITTLE different.welcomeani.gif

Seeking suggestions for SPECIFIC dishes sold currently at SPECIFIC local restaurants that can be described BOTH as somewhat of a "splurge" but ALSO not in the unhealthy to eat category.

Doesn't need to be "health food" or "on a diet food" per se just not stuff that is ridiculously high in calories like a rack of pork ribs or deep fried stuff, etc.

The price suggestion (yes 400 is quite low for a "splurge" but gotta start somewhere) is meant to NOT include DRINKS, extra side dishes, etc.

So generally looking either for specific MAIN COURSE DISHES or complete price buffet deal type thingies.

This is a bit challenging because as many know most restaurants are not in the business of promoting your health, but rather to tempt you with deliciousness, and that often involves very high calories and unhealthy cooking methods.

So please be as SPECIFIC as possible in your suggestions, if you have them, naming the dish, and naming the restaurant, and hopefully naming the price as well.

An example of the kind of suggestion I'm seeking here:

Oishi sushi buffet, Royal Garden Mall, 550 baht (yes you could make that unhealthy if you want, but you don't have to)

Edited by Jingthing

Fish and Chips ... plus a tower of Leo.

Fish .. great for the Omega3 and the Protein.

Chips ... they are a vegetable.

Leo ... Water with flavour.

Just sneaking in under the Bt 1,000 limit.

JT ... great topic ... thumbsup.gif ... keep them coming.

And where do you find all these David in Pattaya?

And how much will they cost?

The man was specific

"An example of the kind of suggestion I'm seeking here:

Oishi sushi buffet, Royal Garden Mall, 550 baht"

Or are you in the Bla Bla Bla mood today?

Fish and Chips ... plus a tower of Leo.

Fish .. great for the Omega3 and the Protein.

Chips ... they are a vegetable.

Just sneaking in under the Bt 1,000 limit.

JT ... great topic ... thumbsup.gif ... keep them coming.

I'd have gone with Leo ... Water with absolutely no flavour whatsoever.

I would say the Sizzler salad bar from 175B and up with small fish and chips as the main course at lunchtimes (up to 500+B if you want other main courses, which aren't healthy). I have no trouble avoiding the unhealthy bits (like the so-called garlic bread, and the pasta) and most of the rest is tasty and apparently wholesome.

Most of what I had at the Angel seafood buffet for 250B on Saturday seemed healthy, and again not too difficult to avoid what wasn't.

The 400B lobster set meal at Cherries on Monday? Most of that is healthy-ish.

Unfortunately restaurant food usually just isn't very healthy.

Thanks for starting this, KK.

Again not talking about health food or diet food, just not atrociously unhealthy food.

Fish and chips is a good example of atrociously unhealthy food. TWO (not one) deep fried items.

Sizzler just seems too pedestrian a place as far as their cooking style to be considered a splurge. Yes, I understand they have many choices for main course that aren't deep fried.

Angels I like, but that price point is under the specified splurge level. Yes, you're right, choosing well, one can have a healthy enough meal there.

400B lobster set at Cherrys? Yes, that's in the ballpark. Good idea. Of course it probably depends on exactly how they prepare the lobster though.

It's actually 495 B:

http://cherrys-restaurant-pattaya.com/images/home/home_js.php

More please?

Edited by Jingthing

This is a "how the other half lives" thread. (I wonder if canarysun will read it :)) I'll watch with academic interest only as I can't think of any dish I would pay 1,000 baht for. Let alone 400. Unless it's paua, toheroa, whitebait or NZ scallops - ahh, now you're talking. Never found any of these in regular restaurants here.

This is a "how the other half lives" thread. (I wonder if canarysun will read it smile.png) I'll watch with academic interest only as I can't think of any dish I would pay 1,000 baht for. Let alone 400. Unless it's paua, toheroa, whitebait or NZ scallops - ahh, now you're talking. Never found any of these in regular restaurants here.

Splurge implies (for most people) not every day. A special treat. Anyway, I prefer hearing about things in the 500 baht area but no harm to hear about ideas for higher prices. Also I'm sure actual rich people would laugh at the idea that 1000 baht is an expensive dish.

Edited by Jingthing

A splurge in Pattaya? Thats tough. I can't remember the last time I saw anything on a menu over 400Bt.

Most people in Pattaya seem to covet their 6Bt bottle of water from the QuikMart.

Salads. The only healthy thing I eat are salads. (Is Caesar Salad healthy? I keep telling myself it is..)

-Some nice salads at LaBaquette in Naklus and Jomtien. Served with some fresh bread.

(they have a discount card too)

-The Chef Salad at the popular Cafe Pittini is huge and the DEAL OF THE CENTURY.

(excellent management, every seat was full yesterday)

-Bon Cafe, Chef Salad was tasty last time I was there.

Edited by WallyCleaver

OK, salads. Hmm.coffee1.gif

Not there's anything wrong with salads.

BUT ...

I think I might have failed communicating the concept.

Not really looking for stereotypical "healthy" food.

Such as salad.

Just not atrociously unhealthy splurge food.

Also as there are so many diverse nationality types of restaurants in town, thinking in terms of one dish in the western sense is too limiting too.

For example if you go for an Indian or Thai meal you're talking multiple dishes for any find of decent splurge meal.

So for example perhaps a Chicken Tikka platter, Bhindi Masala, Raita, and a Nan ... talking well over 500 baht easy at most places in town.

Edited by Jingthing

A splurge in Pattaya? Thats tough. I can't remember the last time I saw anything on a menu over 400Bt.

Most people in Pattaya seem to covet their 6Bt bottle of water from the QuikMart.

Salads. The only healthy thing I eat are salads. (Is Caesar Salad healthy? I keep telling myself it is..)

-Some nice salads at LaBaquette in Naklus and Jomtien. Served with some fresh bread.

(they have a discount card too)

-The Chef Salad at the popular Cafe Pittini is huge and the DEAL OF THE CENTURY.

-Bon Cafe, Chef Salad was tasty last time I was there.

Popular cafe pittini- haha.

Fish and chips is a good example of atrociously unhealthy food. TWO (not one) deep fried items.

Sizzler just seems too pedestrian a place as far as their cooking style to be considered a splurge. Yes, I understand they have many choices for main course that aren't deep fried.

You can pay just 165B and not have a main course at all, which avoids the problem of the fried F&C. Personally I get the (small portion) of F&C for 179B and I scrape the crumb off the fish, and just eat a few of the chips. For the same price I also have some Tom Yam soup from which I remove the chicken and load up on the mushrooms.

I find the salads in Sizzler to be tasty and quite original. It isn't easy to find nice salads here.

400B lobster set at Cherrys? Yes, that's in the ballpark. Good idea. Of course it probably depends on exactly how they prepare the lobster though.

It's actually 495 B:

I thought it was less last time I went. It's been a while as I try to stick to very light meals in the evening.

As far as I know you still have a choice of cooking styles.

For example if you go for an Indian or Thai meal you're talking multiple dishes for any find of decent splurge meal.

So for example perhaps a Chicken Tikka platter, Bhindi Masala, Raita, and a Nan ... talking well over 500 baht easy at most places in town.

At the Hilton on Thursday (Asian day) for about 500B you can choose from a fair selection of sushi/sashimi, and they also have a small selection of tasty Indian dishes and accompaniments, and other Asian dishes. You would need some willpower to stay away from the desserts which of course aren't healthy at all.

Personally I dont think that Indian food is generally very healthy though: lots of fat hiding in many of the breads and also in many of the sauces.

Cafe Pittini is good, and deservedly popular, but I've never had the salad. What's in it and how much does it cost?

Cafe Pittini is good, and deservedly popular, but I've never had the salad. What's in it and how much does it cost?

A typical chef salad with chicken, bacon, ham, cheese, bell peppers, lettuce etc.. Very fresh & large size too.

I think it was 149Bt.

Cafe Pittini is on Soi Bukow, 100 meters north of the Sawadee Hotel on the same side. Across from Coffee & Beer.

Cafe Pittini is not a place to get a splurge level meal.

Bizarrely, even though I have repeated it multiple times, people don't seem to be getting the point of this thread.

It's about something pretty specific.

The phrase "not unhealthy" perhaps understandably confused people into thinking the choices must be particularly healthy or diet food.

Sorry about that.

I would word it differently if I could start this again.

Let's try to start over.

FOCUS ON SPLURGE.

SPECIFIC DISHES OR COMBINATIONS OF COMPLEMENTARY DISHES AS IN AN ASIAN MEAL.

Please forget completely about the "healthy" aspect of this.

This way with people's suggestions for SPLURGES I (and others) can consider the suggested choices and then reject (or not) them if they feel they are either excessively unhealthy or too expensive, etc.

It was asking too much to ask for TWO QUALIFIERS.

SO RESET PLEASE.

JUST THE SPLURGE. Keeping the same price level rough guidelines 400 to 1000 that's either for a large main course at a western type place, or a combination of dishes at an Asian/Middle Eastern type meal, etc.

Again, just forget about the "not unhealthy" thing .. it has made this thread untenable.

Edited by Jingthing

I would say Fuji lunch time specials.

From memory 200 something baht gets you a steak of your choice with side dishes like soup, kim chi, some kind of salad, and few other things. Regular price is around 500 from memory.

For an additional 200 can get a plate of Salmon Sushi.

Seafood.

There are many seafood restaurants around, but for splurge you could go to Rimpa Lapin and enjoy the superb view and eat some of their healthy seafood dishes, such as BBQed lobster or steamed fish with aromatic sauce (they have got many tasty and healthy dishes on their menu).

Forget the healthy part!!!!

Didn't you get the memo?

If it wouldn't annoy the management I'd start this thread all over. Actually I would be happy to see it closed so I can start a new one with no mention of health. Seriously.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ignoring the initial non-unhealthy requirement deviates completely from the title of the thread, which renders it rather pointless and confusing for anyone who reads it because of the title.

I dont see a rule that says you cant have another simultaneous thread for suggestions of any restaurants to splurge at, regardless of healthiness.

Understood ... but two threads like that would be too similar and I do know redundant thread topics are frowned upon. Because I now consider my attempt here a failure (it happenscoffee1.gif ) ... the "healthy" thing is just too much of a distraction and a CAN OF WORMS ... that I would really like this thread to just be closed or if not, just die a natural death.

Then I will feel comfortable to start again with a CLEANER attempt ...

Basically ... KISS ... Keep It Simple Stupid (note to myself).

Edited by Jingthing

German owned restaurant name of "Po Pot" couple hundred yards down soi next to Wattana market in windy part of road coming into Pattaya from Jomtien (sorry, I should learn names of these streets... been here long enough). Has wonderful salad bar with what I assume are some German takes on salad fixings (I'm American) and different home made soup every day. It is like eating at a friends house who also happens to be a very good cook, no assembly line taste or feel to the food. I like the Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes and some veggies. For little extra get the salad bar and soup. Well worth the money.

German owned restaurant name of "Po Pot" couple hundred yards down soi next to Wattana market in windy part of road coming into Pattaya from Jomtien (sorry, I should learn names of these streets... been here long enough). Has wonderful salad bar with what I assume are some German takes on salad fixings (I'm American) and different home made soup every day. It is like eating at a friends house who also happens to be a very good cook, no assembly line taste or feel to the food. I like the Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes and some veggies. For little extra get the salad bar and soup. Well worth the money.

I know the place. There is nothing on the menu over 400 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

I am going to request this thread be closed. It was a big mistake to ask for suggestions that have TWO qualifiers (higher priced AND "not unhealthy"). It's hard enough to effectively communicate ONE qualifier. much less TWO.

Thanks for your patience. Some threads are just duds. This is a classic.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1