WARNING: Savannakhet Visa Run Report

In Savannakhet, Laos, you can get your visa on arrival. You go to Mukdahan, Thailand, and from there you go to Savannakhet.

I wanted to warn teachers and businessman/women that if you have a non-immigrant B visa that is in progress, your work permit must be canceled AND if you're a teacher you also need to have a letter of resignation signed by the school. I was refused entry to Laos and they told me to go back to my school!

I don't think this is a problem in Vientiene, but this could be a new restriction so just be aware. I ended up getting through the border because I made up an enormous lie, and they eventually let me through, but I was very, very lucky. I was considering flying out of Thailand.

Other than being stopped at the border, the visa run was a million times better than going to Vientiene. I went on a Tuesday and there were about 40 people there at 9:00 a.m. and I was out of there in 15 minutes because I was the 8th person in line. Later that day I picked up my new tourist visa at 3:30 immediately without even a minute of waiting. They say come back at 3:30, but I was the last person when I arrived at 3:30, so I think they opened back up at 2:00. Who knows. TIS.

There is a hotel right next to the consulate (sorry I forgot the name, but just ask someone it's literally a 5 minute walk from the consulate) for 500 baht a night down a dirt road in a quiet Laotian village. You can walk to the embassy from there. I got a taxi from the hotel to go to restaurants and bars for 200 baht round trip from the hotel. I recommend taking tuk tuks to and from the border because it's cheaper. Taxis were asking 300 baht from the border which is too much. Should be 100 baht per person for the tuk tuk but if you're alone it might be more. A tuk tuk from the consulate to the international bus station in Savannakhet is 50 baht, but you can also just take a 100 baht tuk tuk to the border and take a bus to the international bus station in Mukdahan. It depends on what your schedule is. Oh, and in Mukdahan, there is a hotel AT the international bus station for 400 baht per night which is pleasant and very convenient if you need to stay there due to the bus schedule or whatever.

Once again, let it be known that the Thai border in Mukdahan is enforcing this restriction currently so if you have a non-B you need to make sure your work permit is canceled and if you're at a school then you need to get a signed letter of resignation from the school too. They were strictly enforcing this.

Good luck.

I wanted to warn teachers and businessman/women that if you have a non-immigrant B visa that is in progress, your work permit must be canceled AND if you're a teacher you also need to have a letter of resignation signed by the school. I was refused entry to Laos and they told me to go back to my school!

You report is about something new, previously reported aboung Nong Khai only, thank you for it.

Please note your are talking about an extension of stay, not a current visa. these are different things.

Not so new for those having a valid extension of stay based upon working or teaching when they try to leave the country without a re-entry permit. This has been reported for many border crossings.

They watch for these because people abuse them all the time. They leave or get fired from their jobs and illegally stay in the country for months afterword. When the job ends the extension of stay ends on that date.

The correct way is to cancel your extension when the job ends and leave the country on the same day or apply for a 7 day extension.

• Like 2

Not so new for those having a valid extension of stay based upon working or teaching when they try to leave the country without a re-entry permit. This has been reported for many border crossings.

They watch for these because people abuse them all the time. They leave or get fired from their jobs and illegally stay in the country for months afterword. When the job ends the extension of stay ends on that date.

The correct way is to cancel your extension when the job ends and leave the country on the same day or apply for a 7 day extension.

That's true but presumably, a slightly smarter person would be getting a re-entry permit (or multiple re-entry permit), leave the country (even if the job ended months ago) and would then be allowed to leave, no problems and no overstay fine.

However, the only reason why you would want to go down that route is if you are leaving Thailand permanently and NOT coming back afterwards, at least not for a long time. So if you cross a land border and come back later before the expiration of your authorised period of stay, you'll still be coming back on the same uncancelled visa (i.e. extension of stay), hence the idea behind doing this would be to cross into Cambodia or Laos and fly out from there or another country NOT to return to Thailand later on. Or of course doing the same thing but leaving Thailand via air in the first place.

The only problem in the future might be (although I'm not sure how many people have tested this) is if said person returns to Thailand after having left using the method described above sometime AFTER the expiration date of their extension of stay, particularly on the same passport. Or perhaps, if they ever tried to get another extension of stay for employment later on.

The only reason to even bother with what I have suggested above is if for whatever reason you didn't get a letter of employment cancellation (maybe you didn't know about it at the time) and you have left your employment a long time ago and don't want to be picked up for visa overstay. In such a case, having a re-entry permit you can leave but of course you can't come back for a while, especially not on the same passport.

"They were strictly enforcing this."

Obviously not that strictly, as they let you cross :-)

Honestly, I was extremely lucky. I waited in the main immigration office nearby the border for 3 hours and I was considering booking a flight. I then had the idea to go back to the same immigration officer that denied me and I made up an incredible sob story using polite Thai. My case was an exception. They were by no means prepared to be lenient with me.

You report is about something new, previously reported aboung Nong Khai only, thank you for it.

Please note your are talking about an extension of stay, not a current visa. these are different things.

I failed to note that the purpose of me crossing the border was to cancel my non-B and to get a double entry tourist visa, of which I DID receive. I am back in Thailand now. My non-B is void but my work permit is still valid and it's up to the school when they decide to cancel it.

At Nong Khai Border Check Point they enforce it for Non B with WP since 6 month and for Non ED since 2 month.

We put it on our webpage and info letter as well.

Another teacher at my school did the same thing in Vientiene 1 month ago in October. He was NOT denied entry and successfully crossed the border and received a double entry tourist visa without any hassle. They never asked for evidence of work permit cancellation or a letter of resignation from the school...

At Nong Khai Border Check Point they enforce it for Non B with WP since 6 month and for Non ED since 2 month.

We put it on our webpage and info letter as well.

Another teacher at my school did the same thing in Vientiene 1 month ago in October. He was NOT denied entry and successfully crossed the border and received a double entry tourist visa without any hassle. They never asked for evidence of work permit cancellation or a letter of resignation from the school...

This appears to be a relatively new policy about which I have doubts about its legality. There is see how long it lasts. E.g. there have been reports going back to normality just yesterday at another border for back-to-back visa exempt entries.

• 5 months later...

Savannakhet is still probably one of the easiest places to get a 2 month tourist or Non-Imm O visa.

BUT BE WARNED, as typ123 says, if you have a Non-Imm B visa with no re-entry permit, be prepared for problems at the border. My teaching contract ended on March 31. My school follows Thai law to the letter and on February 27 advised me in writing that it would not be renewed (otherwise under the Labour Protection Act they would have had to pay me an extra months salary).

I turned up at the Mukdahan border crossing on March 30 to cross and apply for a Non-Imm O visa based on marriage. This was just ONE DAY before my Non-Imm B expired. I was hauled out of the exit line and into the office and quizzed about why I was leaving. Fortunately, thanks to typ123's post, I had the school's letter with me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still a bit confused.i

I intend to go to Savannakhet and leave Thailand about 2 days before my work contract expires.

At present i have a nonB with multiple re-entry... the original end date is way past the new ending date of my contract

my company has my w/p book

i'm assuming they will notify the dept Labour etc.

I then intend to apply for a tourist visa (or double) and re-enter the kingdom

I have a letter ending my employment with termination date.

Can anyone tell me if I can expect a problem with any of this?

Edited by Loeilad

It would help if it were known exactly what was in the passport ............. Is it

A. A multi-entry VISA obtained from a Thai Embassy / Consulate

OR

B. Something other than "A" ?

"At present i have a nonB with multiple re-entry" - this was issued by a Thai embassy outside Thailand, renewed at immigration office yearly in Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would help if it were known exactly what was in the passport ............. Is it

OR

"At present i have a nonB with multiple re-entry" - this was issued by a Thai embassy outside Thailand, renewed at immigration office yearly in Thailand.

So in fact you do not have a VISA but an "extension of stay" (which is NOT a visa) and you paid 1900 baht for this extension and 3800 Bht for the re-entry permit .

Does that sound about right ?

It is important as any advice given depends on what is exactly in the passport.

Edited by nzexpat

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OR

So in fact you do not have a VISA but an "extension of stay" (which is NOT a visa) and you paid 1900 baht for this extension and 3800 Bht for the re-entry permit .

Does that sound about right ?

It is important as any advice given depends on what is exactly in the passport.

no extension - I have a non-im B with multiple entry.

"I intend to go to Savannakhet and leave Thailand about 2 days before my work contract expires." - this will mean my visa is still valid. I then plan return to Thailand about a week later. this would be after my contract has been ended.

Edited by Loeilad
  • Like 1

OK! You have a "non-im B with multiple entry" which was " renewed at immigration office yearly in Thailand."

Have I got it correct ?

Good luck !

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

Ermmm.... side track

I'm from Singapore. As to my knowledge, Singapore WP holders are to leave by air and the employer is to ensure this. The only exception are for Malaysians and they are the only group that can leave by bridge. Isn't it the same case for Thailand?

• Yes - that is correct - what do you mean by "good luck"?

What he means is:

1. There is no such thing as "a yearly renewal of a visa"
  2. Immigration does not issue visas of any description

He outlined the most likely scenario: you originally entered on a visa, then received extensions of stay, supplemented by reentry permits of your extensions of stay. Once you indicated that, no, you have something no one else has, he could offer no advice as there is no precedent for your case.

• Like 1

What he means is:

He outlined the most likely scenario: you originally entered on a visa, then received extensions of stay, supplemented by reentry permits of your extensions of stay. Once you indicated that, no, you have something no one else has, he could offer no advice as there is no precedent for your case.

Immigration will issue a single entry Non-B when changing from a tourist or visa exempt entry.

What he means is:

Immigration will issue a single entry Non-B when changing from a tourist or visa exempt entry.

You are Correct ! But only with the FULL set of paperwork AND a Work Permit !

Easy Peasy !

What he means is:

Thanks for the explanation........I don't have a 1900 baht 7 day extension...i do have the "B extension and multiple entry stamp.......perfectly normal visa/work permit combo.

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit confused about the OP where it says: "wanted to warn teachers and businessman/women that if you have a non-immigrant B visa that is in progress, your work permit must be canceled."

I will have to go to Savannakhet next month, so if anyone can advise whether or not I will encounter any problems, based on current situation there, would be great.

My situation:

I am currently on my last permission to stay granted to me based on a Non Imm O <marriage> visa. That visa (no, not an extension of stay) expired in June last.

I did an exit/entry the day before it expired to get the last 90 days out of it.

This last permission to stay will expire next month (mid September).

I plan to go to Savannakhet to get a new non imm visa.

However, this time I will go to get a non imm B visa, not a non imm O.

I should mention I also have a work permit, which will have to be renewed mid October, by the way.

1) Are the requirements, at Savannakhet, to apply for a non imm B visa, still the same as mentioned on Thai MFA website?

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-%28for-Business-and.html

2) Does the OP relate to my situation in any way?

Do I have to cancel my work permit?

3) Have there been reports about special requirements for non imm B visa when applying at Savannakhet?

Thanks in advance for any good advice!!

Edit to add: I am not working as a teacher.

Edited by arminbkk

I'm a bit confused about the OP where it says: "wanted to warn teachers and businessman/women that if you have a non-immigrant B visa that is in progress, your work permit must be canceled."

I will have to go to Savannakhet next month, so if anyone can advise whether or not I will encounter any problems, based on current situation there, would be great.

My situation:

I am currently on my last permission to stay granted to me based on a Non Imm O <marriage> visa. That visa (no, not an extension of stay) expired in June last.

I did an exit/entry the day before it expired to get the last 90 days out of it.

I should mention I also have a work permit, which will have to be renewed mid October, by the way.

1) Are the requirements, at Savannakhet, to apply for a non imm B visa, still the same as mentioned on Thai MFA website?

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-%28for-Business-and.html

3) Have there been reports about special requirements for non imm B visa when applying at Savannakhet?

Thread is almost a year old, you should use search function for latest threads, updates and experiences

My situation:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"B"-(for-Business-and.html

1. Why are you applying for a non-b visa. You should get another multiple entry non-o visa. You will only get a single entry non-b in Savannakhet.

If you have everything listed on that webpage you should not have a problem getting a single entry non-b visa. Be sure you take your work permit with you in case they want to to see it.

2. It does not apply.

@ubonjoe

Thanks!

I am applying for a non imm B and not a non imm O because I got divorced from my wife already.

Are you saying that Savannakhet will only issue a single entry non imm B, no matter what?

In that case, if I want to get an extension of stay, after I got the non imm B visa, do I only need my tax declaration (2014) as proof of income,

when applying for that extension based on income at Chaeng Wattana Immigration (and not seasoned bank balance) and no other documents?

(By the way, what is the minimum income requirement for the extension of stay, when working and living in Bangkok, and not working as a teacher

but for private Thai company?)

Thanks!!

@konying

I am aware of the search function, thanks.

However, I considered this thread is not that old, it is about Savannakhet, and the thread is not that long, and not closed, so

no harm in reviving it for a, relatively, brief question.

@ubonjoe

Thanks!

I am applying for a non imm B and not a non imm O because I got divorced from my wife already.

Are you saying that Savannakhet will only issue a single entry non imm B, no matter what?

In that case, if I want to get an extension of stay, after I got the non imm B visa, do I only need my tax declaration (2014) as proof of income,

when applying for that extension based on income at Chaeng Wattana Immigration (and not seasoned bank balance) and no other documents?

(By the way, what is the minimum income requirement for the extension of stay, when working and living in Bangkok, and not working as a teacher

but for private Thai company?)

Thanks!!

The only nearby location that will do a multiple entry non-b visa is Penang and you would need at least 8 months left on your work permit to apply.

In order to get an extension of stay base upon working you will need tax records for the company plus a lot more paperwork. You would also need to be on a salary of 50k baht if you are from a western country.

See clause 2.1 and annexes of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay for the requirements.