Morphine and Amphetamine Test’s now required for Retirement Visa

The only time I've been asked for a medical is for the driving license and that was just a quick visit to the local clinic.

Renewed my retirement extension just last week at Lop Buri, no problem and no mention of any drug tests.

Guess I must look like a good clean living lad whistling.gif

smile.png

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pot test, HIV test, DNA check:

Good idea, if there is enough evidence you are an addict to (1) cannabis (2) unprotected sex or (3) unprotected sex

Do you really think someone should be denied a retirement visa if they are HIV positive !

What about Diabetics and people with other conditions, why not ban them also ??

If this proves to be factually correct can someone please post a copy of the form/template so that we can add it to the bumff compiled annually on our computers?

Are you in Kho Samui? If you aren't, it doesn't interest you.

You perhaps need a reminder as to the primary purpose of this board.

No, not deny retirement visa for people that are HIV positive. Just force them to use condoms, and make sure they are not careless desperados.

Bar girls in Pattaya are regularly checked for HIV. Why not make it mandatory to take their customers with them?

Diabetes is not contagious.

• Like 1

I would be happy to run any "druggies" out of the Kingdom but this cannot work.

I think it is a waste of govt (taxpayer) money but I am subject to random testing as a condition of employment (aviation) in my country. Split samples are sealed in little bottles which I get to sign. The bottles have temp. I get privacy during the urination process but if I flush the dunny by mistake I have to do it again. Temperature of the urine is checked just in case I have smuggled in a clean sample in my shorts. Then we sit at a little table where I get to observe the handling of my pee. The entire process is videotaped. Then the samples are put in an envelope that has double seals which I and the drug test lady signs. Then it goes in a fedex letter. They are then sent off to a third party lab that will reject the samples if all procedures are not followed. All on the up and up. I think in all the years of this they have caught 5 or 6 druggie pilots. No improvemt to safety and resulting only in higher ticket cosrs for all.

However, This kind if thing cannot work here however because of corruption, which is at the same time the result and root cause of basically all the problems here. It will just become another way to extort payments from the unfortunate persons who encounter bent officials and not solve any so called " problem", whether real or fanciful.

Let's try a conclusion.

Retirees on morphine or amphetamine would have a prescription, so no need for any more testing. So, junkies is what they're after. But junkies from Farang countries usually don't get old enough for a retirement visa. And even if they would, they would not get a good job, and, consequently, their pension would not exeed welfare benefits.

No, not deny retirement visa for people that are HIV positive. Just force them to use condoms, and make sure they are not careless desperados.

Bar girls in Pattaya are regularly checked for HIV. Why not make it mandatory to take their customers with them?

Diabetes is not contagious.

I know many people in Vietnam have hepatitis B from birth and live their whole life with it never becoming active but I believe they are still contagious.

They shouldn't be banned either.

Teachers are tested for 3rd stage syphilis.

Knowing your status is important for any communicable disease.

But not a reason for banning them.

But I heard Thai people wanting to work on a cruise ship are tested for Hiv.

I've heard some people feel no need to check their health and no need to use condoms.

Responsibility take both people involved.

• Like 1

Yes, both sides.

I'm not talking about a ban, I'm talking about an offer to Farangs for regular testing. There are hospitals near bars in Pattaya where you can get this testing done (with your favourite bar girl or without her), you wait for the results while drinking a beer or something else.

I had my blood tested for HIV etc. before I went back to Thailand, my gf was tested, too. Yes, of course, now we are happy we don't need condoms. But we know it, not just hope or guess or pray for mercy.

Sorry, these popups make it hard to concentrate.

Hepatitis B:

It seems to be curable, I had it in India 1969 and was brought to Hospital. After half a year I went to the Peace Corps in Kathmandu for vaccination. They told me that once I was cured I would be immune and never get Hepatitis B again. I was ba bblood donator for many years after that, and they check for Hepatitis B every time.

I'm not a MD, and the WHO informations about HBV are not very helpful to me.

Can someone tell whether it is really possible to be a HBV carrier after that?

Is there still

Sorry, these popups make it hard to concentrate.

Hepatitis B:

It seems to be curable, I had it in India 1969 and was brought to Hospital. After half a year I went to the Peace Corps in Kathmandu for vaccination. They told me that once I was cured I would be immune and never get Hepatitis B again. I was ba bblood donator for many years after that, and they check for Hepatitis B every time.

I'm not a MD, and the WHO informations about HBV are not very helpful to me.

Can someone tell whether it is really possible to be a HBV carrier after that?

Is there still

I too got Hepatitis B when I was in Afghanistan in 1967. I didn't know I'd had it until I was back in UK a year or so later; I just knew at the time that I felt like death warmed up for a couple of months and lost a lot of weight. I thought it was the Malaria I'd picked up in Nepal a few months before - it never occurred to me it might be Hepatitis. They told me when they discovered I'd had it that I would always be a carrier, and that I should never be a blood donor (which is a bit of a bummer because I'm a universal donor - 'O' negative). However, that said, I'm now on my third marriage and I've fathered four children (with all the exchanges of body fluids that that entails), and none of my wives or kids have ever shown any signs of Hepatitis. So I don't really know what to believe.

• Like 1

My girlfriend from Vietnam discovered she had Hepatitis B during a routine Std testing.

She investigated and learned her entire family in Vietnam were carriers and she probably had it since birth.

She was concerned I had been vaccinated (I have)

She went on anti viral drugs for at least 6 months but the doctors were not sure she would clear the virus since she likely had it from birth.

she was worried about passing it to possible future children

It was her understanding that normal hepatitis B was cureable. Similar to other diseases.

After infection or vaccination you can't get infected.

There are vaccines for hepatitis A and B.

goid to get vaccinated

good to be tested

good to be safe

I went to samui immigration yesterday to extend my tourist visa for an additional 30 days. for 1.5 decades I've never had a problem that I can recall here. I submitted my passport and documents. the lovely secretary thoroughly inspected my current visa with great care and then went to make photo copies of it which is SOP. she returned and requested 1,920 baht for application fee and photo copies and instructed me to return in one hour.

I returned an hour later but still had to wait another 20 minutes despite the office being quite empty of people on a slow day. I was finally called forward and told that my application was denied! I was shocked but remained calm and politely asked as to why it was rejected. I was told that I was "too early in my stay" to apply for an extension. I politely explained to the officer (whom I'd never seen before) and showed examples in my passport where I had always applied for my extension early. I showed multiple occasions where I had actually gone to immigration on the exact day I arrived back in Thailand and never encountered difficulties obtaining an extension. the officer told me that they "had changed the law because we need to keep you under our control" (!!!). I politely asked when they had changed it and explained that I've been very carefully following new changes in immigration procedures and had seen no notifications of this change. the officer refused to answer. I asked for my 1,920baht to be returned to me and the officer harshly replied "NO!" and then pointed to the sign stating no refunds! I politely asked the officer to show me where the new change in procedure was written and the officer stated that it was "not written anywhere! we make our own laws!". I, again, politely stated that I'd always applied early without difficulty and explained that the secretary had intensely inspected my visa prior to requesting money, but that she had not told me that I was too early to apply and would therefore be rejected; and due to that fact and the very recent change that my money should be refunded to me. the officer immediately became belligerent and actually yelled at me to "get out now! we make our own laws here! no refund for you! go!" I was gobsmacked. additionally, my paperwork was returned to me with NO OFFICIAL REJECTION STAMP which clearly tells me that there is no official report of my application, fees received and rejection and it's therefore quite possible that my 1,920baht could simply be in someone's pocket! I'm left feeling that I was set up and then robbed and I can't actually call the police as they are the police. I wanted to "pull a Sharky" on them but I couldn't fathom that it would end well for me. I wanted the officers name and badge number but the officer was in plain clothes with no badge and would not supply name and badge number...! foreigners beware, samui immigration admits to the fact that they make their own laws! subject to change at their own will and mood apparently!

Your patience was certainly tested. Although not having any evidence in support, I feel sure that if you were to call or write to the office of the PM maybe he would so something in your favour and to the advantage of those who follow. I can't think of any other avenue open to you. It is times like these that one should go equipped with a hidden camera and record the full interview. Then when you have made several copies of the interview and distributed them amongst friends, return to said RTIP office and ask if he wants to retract said statement and return money before you download to facebook. May work?

thanks for your sincere reply. I appreciate it versus the majority of nonsense posted in TVF... I did, however, have a small chuckle not directed towards you personally. the self elected benevolent leader made it very clear that no one is to make unsavory remarks regarding the RTP and libel laws could be applied if one were to do so. it's all a bit much now, eh? but perhaps I shall send him a letter simply for sheer entertainment value of what may happen... I was thinking to myself the other day after seeing insurance fraud videos recorded on dash cams, "what kind of F'ing world are we living in where everyone must have cameras recording everything simply to ensure their own safety?!?" it's a sad state of affairs... to be honest, I'm not certain it's in my best interest to pursue this injustice; so... the RTP bullies win again. shame...

There seems to be confusion about opioids and opiates in the discussion above. Morphine is an opiate. Tramadol (Tramal) is an opioid. Different tests to detect them. Any "routine" drug test would check for opioids, not opiates.

Have you got that the right way around.....??

Taking Tramadol I'm in danger with piss tests in clubs etc.....??

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read in 5 years here. Why not a pot test, or an aids test. or a D.N.A. test while your at it.

Or a syphilis test to get a work permit. Oh, hold on! They instituted that already.

They have added narcotics and amphetamines test to work permit too now, also chest xray for TB

I went to samui immigration yesterday to extend my tourist visa for an additional 30 days. for 1.5 decades I've never had a problem that I can recall here. I submitted my passport and documents. the lovely secretary thoroughly inspected my current visa with great care and then went to make photo copies of it which is SOP. she returned and requested 1,920 baht for application fee and photo copies and instructed me to return in one hour.

I returned an hour later but still had to wait another 20 minutes despite the office being quite empty of people on a slow day. I was finally called forward and told that my application was denied! I was shocked but remained calm and politely asked as to why it was rejected. I was told that I was "too early in my stay" to apply for an extension. I politely explained to the officer (whom I'd never seen before) and showed examples in my passport where I had always applied for my extension early. I showed multiple occasions where I had actually gone to immigration on the exact day I arrived back in Thailand and never encountered difficulties obtaining an extension. the officer told me that they "had changed the law because we need to keep you under our control" (!!!). I politely asked when they had changed it and explained that I've been very carefully following new changes in immigration procedures and had seen no notifications of this change. the officer refused to answer. I asked for my 1,920baht to be returned to me and the officer harshly replied "NO!" and then pointed to the sign stating no refunds! I politely asked the officer to show me where the new change in procedure was written and the officer stated that it was "not written anywhere! we make our own laws!". I, again, politely stated that I'd always applied early without difficulty and explained that the secretary had intensely inspected my visa prior to requesting money, but that she had not told me that I was too early to apply and would therefore be rejected; and due to that fact and the very recent change that my money should be refunded to me. the officer immediately became belligerent and actually yelled at me to "get out now! we make our own laws here! no refund for you! go!" I was gobsmacked. additionally, my paperwork was returned to me with NO OFFICIAL REJECTION STAMP which clearly tells me that there is no official report of my application, fees received and rejection and it's therefore quite possible that my 1,920baht could simply be in someone's pocket! I'm left feeling that I was set up and then robbed and I can't actually call the police as they are the police. I wanted to "pull a Sharky" on them but I couldn't fathom that it would end well for me. I wanted the officers name and badge number but the officer was in plain clothes with no badge and would not supply name and badge number...! foreigners beware, samui immigration admits to the fact that they make their own laws! subject to change at their own will and mood apparently!

Shameful fraud and abuse. For others to know, can you tell if there is a chart of roles and officers names on display? And if the office of the highest rank officer is visible ?

yes, there is. it's actually just outside on the right hand side of the door. the highest ranking official in Surat is on it, but I'm uncertain of the others on it... alot of it is in Thai...

Thanks. Working that chart up would be only reasonable attempt to straighten the tort. Because often it is assumed that "everybody is in", but that's just not true.

no, I'm not someone who believes everyone is in on it. I've known most of the officers and the secretary for a very long time and they've always been quite helpful to me actually and have also given me respect and even popped my passport to the beginning of the cue a couple times when the office was crammed with kids you'd expect to see at the FMP. that's one of the reasons this was quite shocking to me... shame. honestly, I don't know if I wish to pursue it... it may not be in my best interest to do so in a situation valued at 1,900baht... I believe in standing up for injustice, and I usually do despite all the trouble it brings... hopefully just informing people here will prevent others from having a similar experience. it's best to phone them first perhaps and ask what's needed for their extension, etc and if the time frame is acceptable.

no, I'm not someone who believes everyone is in on it. I've known most of the officers and the secretary for a very long time and they've always been quite helpful to me actually and have also given me respect and even popped my passport to the beginning of the cue a couple times when the office was crammed with kids you'd expect to see at the FMP. that's one of the reasons this was quite shocking to me... shame. honestly, I don't know if I wish to pursue it... it may not be in my best interest to do so in a situation valued at 1,900baht... I believe in standing up for injustice, and I usually do despite all the trouble it brings... hopefully just informing people here will prevent others from having a similar experience. it's best to phone them first perhaps and ask what's needed for their extension, etc and if the time frame is acceptable.

Now is certainly too late to have it repaired, two things, first you can write a letter to two or three of their superiors, you may never receive a reply but be assured that the message will get across very well, second be wary when you go back again, who has took your money may still be there and wanting more.

yes, thanks Paz! and the next time I do go back, I intend to be ridiculously (but polite, friendly and jokingingly) obnoxious about it!!! thankfully, I (usually...) know how to do that without truly making someone lose face but still getting my full point across and leaving no doubts as to what happened and how I feel about it. sadly, it's left a bad taste in my mouth and I was so shocked by the interaction I never thought to request to speak with one of the officers I'm familiar with... another lesson learned bringing forms of wisdom I'd prefer to not have.

Morphine and amphetamine tests for retirees? I would have thought that of all people applying for visas, retirees would be the least likely to test positive for these drugs.

What a complete and utter waste of time (everyone's) and resources.

Morphine and other opioids are illegal in Thailand except for post-op pain, so the docs tell me. If you're dealing with chronic pain, Paracetamol and Ibuptofen offer no help at all, nor does Tramadol. For me the only thing that stops the pain but doesn't slow the reflexes is Demerol, a semi-synthetic opioid, available only in syringes for immediate pre-op patients here.

There's the letter of the law, the spirit of the law, and selective enforcement of the law. I've had no opioids since I've been in Thailand, and I have gotten to the point of needing assistance with even small chores on most days. Still, it's worth the pain to be in somwhere warm all year with a wife who cares about me in peaceful surroundings.

You are aware that tramadol works by being converted through morphine in your liver I do believe. Hence why it's self regulating and abuse limiting. So it is possible to come up positive to a broad brush opiate test, unless the test is to test if it is an illicit opioid that was present Same applies for amphetamines but for different reasons.

And everyone on Koh Samui knows which Immigration Officer you are talking about, without a need for a badge number, and your final sentence sums him up "to a t"! (Except I would delete the final word, and maybe replace it with "transparently"!) I have run foul of this particular officer a couple of times, as have all my friends who need visa extensions, and I am surprised that you have never seen him before in 15 years! Unfortunately, this guy does seem to "rule the roost" there, and it is very diifficult to get to someone over his head. People have tried complaining to Immigration Head Office at Bangkok to no avail. There are a couple of options available, one of which is definitely highly illegal (But which I am surprised has not been tried before) and the other may be to take your case to the Army, and possibly they might take an interest as this is blatant corruption, and one of the main things that the PM/General is trying to stamp out.

• Like 1

And everyone on Koh Samui knows which Immigration Officer you are talking about, without a need for a badge number, and your final sentence sums him up "to a t"! (Except I would delete the final word, and maybe replace it with "transparently"!) I have run foul of this particular officer a couple of times, as have all my friends who need visa extensions, and I am surprised that you have never seen him before in 15 years! Unfortunately, this guy does seem to "rule the roost" there, and it is very diifficult to get to someone over his head. People have tried complaining to Immigration Head Office at Bangkok to no avail. There are a couple of options available, one of which is definitely highly illegal (But which I am surprised has not been tried before) and the other may be to take your case to the Army, and possibly they might take an interest as this is blatant corruption, and one of the main things that the PM/General is trying to stamp out.

P.S. Also see post #72