Bicycle lanes planned throughout Thailand

webfact

I think tingtong described the majority of Thai cyclists. Chiang Mai is noted for its Sunday bicycle ride, all decked out in latest fashion, with some bragging rights as to most expensive rig. On the other hand the tourists seem to like the bicycle, especially the Chinese, but not in rain. But this so called high season seems to have a much larger number of cyclists on the roads in CM.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody rides a bicycle in Thailand! They take the car or motorbike to get a Fanta @ 50 meters distance!

18 months ago your post might have been correct, in the last 1-2 years bicycles have become a fashion in bkk,

In my area there are bicycle lanes although in the last month they broke up from use with heavy trucks, but infact the thais here even have a place to store their very expencive bicycles then ride by motocyc on the wrong side of the road without helmets to where the bikes are kept under lock and key,

On arrival they put on the lycra gear and bike helmets and ride up and down the same road for a few hours till its time to ride the motocyc home without a helmet on the wrong side of the road,

Not kidding some of these bicycles have carbon fiber frames and wheels,

soft drink stalls and coffee shops have set up where they stop and exchange info and brag about the cost of the bike being over 100k,

These cyclists dont regard the bicycle as a mode of transport but rather a prestige fashion statement and nothing more.

Millions of cars and motorbikes vs à couple of hundred fashionista cyclists.

I think tingtong described the majority of Thai cyclists. Chiang Mai is noted for its Sunday bicycle ride, all decked out in latest fashion, with some bragging rights as to most expensive rig. On the other hand the tourists seem to like the bicycle, especially the Chinese, but not in rain. But this so called high season seems to have a much larger number of cyclists on the roads in CM.

I believe there are quite some places fitting my description around bkk, largest may be around the airport, the majority of these people only ride in the evening but in my hood the numbers look close to 200 cyclists,

Could it be that some of these guys have high friends...therefor all this action and talk on planned bike lanes,

I feel its just a fashion which will be gone as fast as it camerolleyes.gif

I enjoy my recreational cycling. I live out in the countryside, with light traffic. mostly I take my bike in the back of my truck to even quieter areas to ride. Ride in the city (Chiang Mai)? Never!! Bike lanes will never work here.

When the government can prove they can keep cars and motorcycles off the sidewalks, then I would still have doubts regarding the safety of bicycling in Bangkok. Unless there are heavy concrete barriers installed to delineate the lanes, it will be an invitation to die as the bus drivers act as if they get extra points for taking out a bicycle. I ride a motorcycle and drive defensively but I know my life may be taken at any moment. Only practicing Buddhists, and tourists who don't know any better, will use these. Bangkok ain't Amsterdam; there is no culture of bicycling.

Tourists should try avoid the Thai roads,forget the cycle lanes,put the money towards the orphanages.

I cycle 300 k a week in issan. Last weekend I went to a race in Chiang Khan, more than 300 riders took part, young and old- male and female. There are 3/4 such events every weekend in Thailand. Every evening I see others like me out and about enjoying this great sport. Nearly all towns have cycling clubs. I estimate I have cycled 30000 k in Thailand, I crashed badly once when I was knocked off by a dog.

As for tourists, they can rent bikes at just about every popular location in Thailand.

Your post just saddens me.

• Like 1

Tourists should try avoid the Thai roads,forget the cycle lanes,put the money towards the orphanages.

I cycle 300 k a week in issan. Last weekend I went to a race in Chiang Khan, more than 300 riders took part, young and old- male and female. There are 3/4 such events every weekend in Thailand. Every evening I see others like me out and about enjoying this great sport. Nearly all towns have cycling clubs. I estimate I have cycled 30000 k in Thailand, I crashed badly once when I was knocked off by a dog.

As for tourists, they can rent bikes at just about every popular location in Thailand.

Your post just saddens me.

I agree with you ; I know somebody who lives in Issan and he told me about it already ; Thai people ( some at least ) love bicycle

I live myself in the sector Cha am - Hua hin, many many bicycles here, Thai, farangs ; I ride my bicycle every day, feel very safe; people in cars pay much more attention than when I am with my motobike

I knowThai men who belong to a club in Cha am, they love bicycle, not a fashion at all, I see them often between Petchaburi and Hua hin

Thailand is big, people here don't see everything ; bicycle has a future in Thailand

Will these bicycle lanes be constructed to a standard sufficient to take the weight of the articulated lorries that will be driving on them?

Why would they do that?

The roads are not constructed to that standard and they do take overloaded trucks.

• Like 1

Will these bicycle lanes be constructed to a standard sufficient to take the weight of the articulated lorries that will be driving on them?

Why would they do that?

The roads are not constructed to that standard and they do take overloaded trucks.

cheesy.gif

I have spent a longtime in Thailand and know all the tricks. The concrete delivery trick where once the driver has delivered the first time he tries to do a deal to supply the stuff at a better rate the next time but you have to be prepared for the phone call to say he is coming now. Your cubic metre is someone else's loss.

Government roads and infrastructure are a gold mine for the rip off merchants who supply the concrete for the bosses new house or shop.

• Like 1

I have spent a longtime in Thailand and know all the tricks. The concrete delivery trick where once the driver has delivered the first time he tries to do a deal to supply the stuff at a better rate the next time but you have to be prepared for the phone call to say he is coming now. Your cubic metre is someone else's loss.

Government roads and infrastructure are a gold mine for the rip off merchants who supply the concrete for the bosses new house or shop.

I've seen this. Strange how the unrequired part load from the other job is always around 5.5 cubic metres (a fully mixer load).

other cycle lane thread

and this post - for all the experts, the coast highway Trat-Chanthaburi-Rayong

tumblr_n2k42rNsnA1r8w5s5o2_500.jpg

tumblr_nc72r1T0091r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

This weekend hosts a 157km cycle race Rayong-Chanthaburi-Rayong - turning point about 200m from above photo at coast resort of Khung Wiman

Chanthaburi - East Coast Challenge Cycle Race

Cycling road race 16 November 2014 following the coast highway (Chaloem Burapha Chonlathit Road) from Rayong to Khung Wiman bay (Chanthaburi) and return, total 151km. Also a ‘couples’ option 117km return.

Recent social/family fun ride, over 400 riders. But from what I've read, no one rides cycles in Thailand.

• Like 1

other cycle lane thread

and this post - for all the experts, the coast highway Trat-Chanthaburi-Rayong

tumblr_n2k42rNsnA1r8w5s5o2_500.jpg

tumblr_nc72r1T0091r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

This weekend hosts a 157km cycle race Rayong-Chanthaburi-Rayong - turning point about 200m from above photo at coast resort of Khung Wiman

Chanthaburi - East Coast Challenge Cycle Race

Cycling road race 16 November 2014 following the coast highway (Chaloem Burapha Chonlathit Road) from Rayong to Khung Wiman bay (Chanthaburi) and return, total 151km. Also a couples option 117km return.

Recent social/family fun ride, over 400 riders. But from what I've read, no one rides cycles in Thailand.

That looks great.

20 million baht for bicycle lanes all over Thailand?

After the brown envelops have been passed around

that 20 million will be gone after 5-10-15 kilometers of roads are painted with a bike lane

​then promptly forgotten about.

If your a bike lover you would be better off moving to Amsterdam.

• Like 1

There are three kinds of people riding bikes, Thai yuppies, misguided and misinformed farangs, and poor Thai

people who can't afford to buy a motorbike,

and unless they will come up with a bike that has air-condition in it, this will be another waste of money....

• Like 1

Bicycle lanes?????

I've got a good idea..

1.lets have a meaningful driving test

2. Let's have rules on the roads

3. Let's have the police enforcing those rules

4. Let's have driving bans for those that break them

5. Lets stop people driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder of dual carriageways especially without lights

6. Let's have an MOT test to get rid of dangerous vehicles

Oh dear......must have been a dream I've just woken up

• Like 2