Condo noise

fosseway

I had a hooligan type guy with about 7 friends and relatives living above me in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Water leaking thru the bathroom ceiling, scraping furniture across the hardwood floors, pounding the somtum motar at all hours, people jumping, doors slamming, on and on.

They were destroying that apartment it sounded.

The management?

They didn't care if that room was destroyed. They made it clear, they didn't like me complaining.

I was single, taking very good care of my place, kept quiet, respected the neighbors, paying on time...

Guess who moved out?

I had a hooligan type guy with about 7 friends and relatives living above me in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Water leaking thru the bathroom ceiling, scraping furniture across the hardwood floors, pounding the somtum motar at all hours, people jumping, doors slamming, on and on.

They were destroying that apartment it sounded.

The management?

They didn't care if that room was destroyed. They made it clear, they didn't like me complaining.

You were unfortunate to be in a building with bad management. In my building any complaint about leaks would result in the upstairs water supply being turned off instantly.

But it is all down to the management and the committee.

Dear Bob,

Sometimes you can be lucky enough to enough either to have no upstairs neibour, or just a considerate one. Most certainly the View Talay's rank as some of the worst when it comes to build quality, rumor has it their bare shell unit ( excluding land of course), cost them Baht 10K per sm. that would have been V.T's. 1, 2,and 3 later ones would be maybe 15K. A fantastic money making formula. Many people made a fortune on these, buying off plan, and selling on the contract, as they are a cash rich company, with low or no risk, even without using the non existent escrow account. These days however, the "flipping" days are not what they used to be.

I did notice an ad. in the latest "Pattaya Property Guide" promoting the usual artists impression, of a new condo boasting 30cm partition walls, that would stop most or even all of the "transmitted noise" you mentioned coming from adjacent units, but would do nothing for the 'Impact noise"as I previously mentioned, but it is certainly a move in the right direction.

All this is of course is part of the downsides of communal living, but there are many other advantages that balance things up.

The problem where I stay is noise from neighbors who leave the hall door open, I guess for airflow. The sound bounces off the concrete walls.

When I lived in condos in Bangkok I never had much problems with noise , except from the traffic coming from the soi but I got used to that quickly . My Thai neighbors very respectful and quite.

Moving to Pattaya/Jomtien and things change to the worse. Construction noise everywhere, loud neighbours, karaoke , dogs etc. Only condos I will recommend in Jomtien is the VT buildings that was built in the 90's . All the new ones are full of noise.

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...