SCAMMED AT IMMIGRATION

Is your missus Thai mate ? i know for a fact my missus wouldn't give them anything ,especially the amount you gave them

Yes, my missus is Thai and she is both very frugal with my money and protective of me. She asked me at the immigration office, "What do you want to do?' It was my decision to pay the tea money and be done.

Thanks to all the posters on here but no-one has really answered my question, I believe without thinking it through. If I had asked to see a senior officer it could have gone either way. Back up his employee or back me up. But what if I now have a 'black mark' against my name on immigration database. So maybe next time I go to Lao and try to come back in they give me a hard time for 3 or 4 days or some excuse to not let me in at all. Immigration are a tea club now linked by computer. My decision to pay was perhaps the lesser of two bad outcomes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read this Thai Immigration Officer!!! Beware I will from now going with a hidden camera to every immigration visit. I am sick and tired of this. In the last 5 years I was scammed a good 5-6 times for a few thousand baht just to get what I should get by the law. At immigration and at land borders.

In these 5 years I have been offered many things like not showing financial proofs, even a fake marriage or a visa which states me as married with someone. I never accepted any of these but I am sure there are many foreigners who accepted and then later get a lot trouble (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776614-visas-for-men-in-marriage-scam-to-be-revoked/) and the officers who are invovled "could" face a penalty.

I have been offered so many illegal things in this country I can't even count it. Fake visas, shell companies, tax free land transfers, working without work permit, drugs, and so on....!!! AND I NEVER <deleted> ASKED FOR IT!!!!

Have to wonder about your appearance and who you are hanging out with as well as what immigration office. I have never been asked for a bribe or dealt with anyone I would expect would take a bribe at immigration (Bangkok). I wish there was as I would gladly pay to jump ahead in the queue. I have had them scold me for doing things wrong (too many over stays) and had them give me a longer extension than I deserved after I complained about them not being open an extended number of days.

I have paid bribes to get expedited service other places. Only difference between doing it in Thailand and the US is here it is called a bribe and goes to a low paid worker, in the US they call it an expedite fee and is a lot more and goes to the companies or entity's profits.

Be it here or anywhere else of dealing with a company or government agency, you sometimes deal with ignorant people or those demanding more then entitled. Personally I like it better here as they amount is always significantly less.

All the constant whining and exaggeration of these encounters is simply going to turn this country into what I believe most of us were happy to leave.

Edit: Never even had a police officer ask me for a bribe in all these years but have done things wrong that would have resulted in a fine and asked if I could pay less and avoid the trouble of going to the station and getting a receipt. If only such encounters in my home country could result in a $5 fine and nothing on my record or filed with my auto insurance.

dress it up however you like to make you sleep better, expedite fee, receipt free payment, whatever. its still a bribe.

Is your missus Thai mate ? i know for a fact my missus wouldn't give them anything ,especially the amount you gave them

Yes, my missus is Thai and she is both very frugal with my money and protective of me. She asked me at the immigration office, "What do you want to do?' It was my decision to pay the tea money and be done.

Thanks to all the posters on here but no-one has really answered my question, I believe without thinking it through. If I had asked to see a senior officer it could have gone either way. Back up his employee or back me up. But what if I now have a 'black mark' against my name on immigration database. So maybe next time I go to Lao and try to come back in they give me a hard time for 3 or 4 days or some excuse to not let me in at all. Immigration are a tea club now linked by computer. My decision to pay was perhaps the lesser of two bad outcomes.

No..... it was the weaker of two outcomes.

Would I have done the same?.................................. most probably.

• Like 1

It's a complete mystery to my why anyone being asked for a bribe for some normal paperwork does not report the crooked official immediately.

And who do I report it to ?

I would start with whoever is in charge of that office. Failing that the main office in Bangkok.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was done on Thursday at Jomtien for a 60 day extension ,Should be 1900 baht ,She started giving me the runaround saying I did not have the correct paperwork etc ( I knew it was all in order) but if I gave her 4000 baht she would make an exception!.......I just paid it to get out of there I have no more fight in me for the Thai thieves! ,To me all Thai officialdom is corrupt!

People like you and the OP that just hand over money are the problem, you are just perpetuating the corruption. You knew the paperwork was in order? should of just told her to GTF.!!

• Like 2

If you read this Thai Immigration Officer!!! Beware I will from now going with a hidden camera to every immigration visit. I am sick and tired of this. In the last 5 years I was scammed a good 5-6 times for a few thousand baht just to get what I should get by the law. At immigration and at land borders.

In these 5 years I have been offered many things like not showing financial proofs, even a fake marriage or a visa which states me as married with someone. I never accepted any of these but I am sure there are many foreigners who accepted and then later get a lot trouble (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776614-visas-for-men-in-marriage-scam-to-be-revoked/) and the officers who are invovled "could" face a penalty.

I have been offered so many illegal things in this country I can't even count it. Fake visas, shell companies, tax free land transfers, working without work permit, drugs, and so on....!!! AND I NEVER <deleted> ASKED FOR IT!!!!

Have to wonder about your appearance and who you are hanging out with as well as what immigration office. I have never been asked for a bribe or dealt with anyone I would expect would take a bribe at immigration (Bangkok). I wish there was as I would gladly pay to jump ahead in the queue. I have had them scold me for doing things wrong (too many over stays) and had them give me a longer extension than I deserved after I complained about them not being open an extended number of days.

I have paid bribes to get expedited service other places. Only difference between doing it in Thailand and the US is here it is called a bribe and goes to a low paid worker, in the US they call it an expedite fee and is a lot more and goes to the companies or entity's profits.

Be it here or anywhere else of dealing with a company or government agency, you sometimes deal with ignorant people or those demanding more then entitled. Personally I like it better here as they amount is always significantly less.

All the constant whining and exaggeration of these encounters is simply going to turn this country into what I believe most of us were happy to leave.

Edit: Never even had a police officer ask me for a bribe in all these years but have done things wrong that would have resulted in a fine and asked if I could pay less and avoid the trouble of going to the station and getting a receipt. If only such encounters in my home country could result in a $5 fine and nothing on my record or filed with my auto insurance.

dress it up however you like to make you sleep better, expedite fee, receipt free payment, whatever. its still a bribe.

@JohnThailandJohn

Example about my appereance and last encounter of being scammed. 3 months ago I was in the middle of the court proccess of getting my fathership legalized. Unfortunatly about 3 weeks before the court decision appointment I had to leave the country and needed to make a quick visa run to Laos and come back to get another 30 days. I also had an appointment at the youth welfare for an interview. After leaving the country and coming back to Thailand the officer at the border does not wanted to give me 30 days entry, just 15 days of entry. I told him I am from a country which should get 30 days and pointed on the board near his desk which shows that I am correct. I also showed him proof that I am in the middle of legalization process and had official documents from the courtyard with appointment dates and also the letter from the youth welfare with my appointment. He told me that I have to stay in Laos a few days then I should come back. I told him that I have a 1 year old child and his mother (who was with me by the way) has to work and I have to come back and take care of my baby. Then the bribing part started. He told my GF (my childs mother) that if I pay 1000THB he would give me 30 days instead of 15 days. So what do you want to do? Driving 300km to the border, waiting for hours at borders and just want to go home, so you pay. And about the drug thing. I guess you don't go out much in the night?! If you board a Taxi at most nightlife spots in the Thailand many drivers will ask you of buying jaba, marihuana etc.. but maybe it is also a thing if you are younger. I am far away from the retirement age.

@ColdSingha

Exactly and in the end you are breaking the law and it can ge used against you.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Exactly my point. In more advanced countries they have rush and expedite fees and even tipping .. all legal and generally more costly. Only other difference is the money goes to the company profits (usually the rich) while here it goes to the poor grunt having to actually do the service.

No different than companies in the US being able to spend unlimited and anonymous amounts to promote a candidate during an election but the US simply has just made it legal, here is is corruption because it is more direct instead of playing legal games to accomplish the same and make sure only the rich can take advantage of these loopholes and laws.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I don't belive this. You come to the Immigration with all your papers and documents in perfect shape. And they offer you a fake marriage or fake papers showing financial proofs, when you already have real papers !!! Not one time but it happen to you all the time, yes sure

Edited by bangkoklasse

@JohnThailandJohn

Example about my appereance and last encounter of being scammed. 3 months ago I was in the middle of the court proccess of getting my fathership legalized. Unfortunatly about 3 weeks before the court decision appointment I had to leave the country and needed to make a quick visa run to Laos and come back to get another 30 days. I also had an appointment at the youth welfare for an interview. After leaving the country and coming back to Thailand the officer at the border does not wanted to give me 30 days entry, just 15 days of entry. I told him I am from a country which should get 30 days and pointed on the board near his desk which shows that I am correct. I also showed him proof that I am in the middle of legalization process and had official documents from the courtyard with appointment dates and also the letter from the youth welfare with my appointment. He told me that I have to stay in Laos a few days then I should come back. I told him that I have a 1 year old child and his mother (who was with me by the way) has to work and I have to come back and take care of my baby. Then the bribing part started. He told my GF (my childs mother) that if I pay 1000THB he would give me 30 days instead of 15 days. So what do you want to do? Driving 300km to the border, waiting for hours at borders and just want to go home, so you pay. And about the drug thing. I guess you don't go out much in the night?! If you board a Taxi at most nightlife spots in the Thailand many drivers will ask you of buying jaba, marihuana etc.. but maybe it is also a thing if you are younger. I am far away from the retirement age.

@ColdSingha

Exactly and in the end you are breaking the law and it can ge used against you.

You added a lot of sympathy (not legal) to your post. So, here is what you really are saying ...

I had to leave the country and needed to make a quick visa run to Laos and come back to get another 30 days ... the border does not wanted to give me 30 days entry, just 15 days of entry. I am from a country which should get 30 days and pointed on the board near his desk which shows that I am correct. He told me that I have to stay in Laos a few days then I should come back. He told my GF (my childs mother) that if I pay 1000THB he would give me 30 days instead of 15 days.

It sounds like you were doing a border run as opposed to having a proper visa. So assume you were here on a previous visa run since it sounds like you needed 30 days and not 15 to get to immigration or doing the run to kick off the next 90 Days of a Visa. So, with the crack down now in place, it sounds like the office was doing the right thing legally (maybe being generous) but allowed you to circumvent the rules for a cheap amount. I also doubt he suggested the fee but rather you wife offered (not a big difference).
The law is clear that a border agent doesn't even have to allow you to enter even if you have a valid visa. Of course that would be messed up in itself but this seems like a simply case of bribery allowing you to circumvent the rules and if I were you I would be thankful.
Again, I have made some assumptions here that may be off but your post spoke a lot about non-relevant issue and you didn't share why you needed an in-out border run to get 30-days instead of a proper visa or how many in-out border runs you have recently done.
I am not trying to bust your chops and am sure you're a good person but just rubs me wrong when people call it extortion because there are circumstances here you can pay a small amount to get something you maybe are not entitled or would be more costly and timely to get the proper way ... not saying this is the case here but it often is when people complain of incident related to this type of thing.

You added a lot of sympathy (not legal) to your post. So, here is what you really are saying ...

I had to leave the country and needed to make a quick visa run to Laos and come back to get another 30 days ... the border does not wanted to give me 30 days entry, just 15 days of entry. I am from a country which should get 30 days and pointed on the board near his desk which shows that I am correct. He told me that I have to stay in Laos a few days then I should come back. He told my GF (my childs mother) that if I pay 1000THB he would give me 30 days instead of 15 days.

It sounds like you were doing a border run as opposed to having a proper visa. So assume you were here on a previous visa run since it sounds like you needed 30 days and not 15 to get to immigration or doing the run to kick off the next 90 Days of a Visa. So, with the crack down now in place, it sounds like the office was doing the right thing legally (maybe being generous) but allowed you to circumvent the rules for a cheap amount. I also doubt he suggested the fee but rather you wife offered (not a big difference).
The law is clear that a border agent doesn't even have to allow you to enter even if you have a valid visa. Of course that would be messed up in itself but this seems like a simply case of bribery allowing you to circumvent the rules and if I were you I would be thankful.
Again, I have made some assumptions here that may be off but your post spoke a lot about non-relevant issue and you didn't share why you needed an in-out border run to get 30-days instead of a proper visa or how many in-out border runs you have recently done.
I am not trying to bust your chops and am sure you're a good person but just rubs me wrong when people call it extortion because there are circumstances here you can pay a small amount to get something you maybe are not entitled or would be more costly and timely to get the proper way ... not saying this is the case here but it often is when people complain of incident related to this type of thing.

No it was the first trip like this. Before I was with a 1 year Non Imm ED visa in the country. Also my Passport is just 1 1/2 year old.

No it was the first trip like this. Before I was with a 1 year Non Imm ED visa in the country. Also my Passport is just 1 1/2 year old.

Got it and then does sound like a F-ed up situation and excuse my assumptions but more time than not there is more to these stories but certainly sometimes they are just straight up extortion as your case seems to be.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have been offered so many illegal things in this country I can't even count it. Fake visas, shell companies, tax free land transfers, working without work permit, drugs, and so on....!!! AND I NEVER <deleted> ASKED FOR IT!!!!/I

I bought my pen cam last year, Would you pull it out and show them you have just recorded them asking for a bribe? and see if that changes the "new laws change", not correct papers, etc, or ask to see the boss and show him/her?

or just take it too the news papers?

As long as you made the immigration officer aware that he was being recorded before hand, then it could be used as legit proof.

Don't inform them, don't submit as evidence. That is of course if you go official. If you do record and start posting to the social media, then you're problems could really begin, especially in Thailand with their libel laws. It does suck I know and IMHO, whereas you do get proof it could do a 1800 turn on you very quickly.

They likely know this, even if the scam was recorded.

I don't belive this. You come to the Immigration with all your papers and documents in perfect shape. And they offer you a fake marriage or fake papers showing financial proofs, when you already have real papers !!! Not one time but it happen to you all the time, yes sure

No fake statements. Just dont have to show it. You don't get it. No one will ask you directly in the immigration office for it. But if you live next to Thais who know policemen or even are policemen and sometimes even immigration officers and you get in touch with these people someone will come and offer you always things like this. Not just because you are a foreigner this is the usual way. Never realized that in most villages the biggest houses belong to policemen?

The marriage thing this was a few years ago of some police officer who I have lived next to. He didn't really offered it to me but he told me it could be done and if I need help he could give me with the connections. If it was true or not I dont know, but if you read the news in the last days you will see fake marriages are true.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

I have been offered so many illegal things in this country I can't even count it. Fake visas, shell companies, tax free land transfers, working without work permit, drugs, and so on....!!! AND I NEVER <deleted> ASKED FOR IT!!!!/I

I bought my pen cam last year, Would you pull it out and show them you have just recorded them asking for a bribe? and see if that changes the "new laws change", not correct papers, etc, or ask to see the boss and show him/her?

or just take it too the news papers?

As long as you made the immigration officer aware that he was being recorded before hand, then it could be used as legit proof.

Don't inform them, don't submit as evidence. That is of course if you go official. If you do record and start posting to the social media, then you're problems could really begin, especially in Thailand with their libel laws. It does suck I know and IMHO, whereas you do get proof it could do a 1800 turn on you very quickly.

They likely know this, even if the scam was recorded.

Might even dig a bit further to see if you can record in a government place like this.

Corruption from immigration can be tricky - you don't want to support the bribes - but you don't want to cause trouble for yourself. I think the best is to play naive and ask what is wrong with your papework - what else is needed and ignore the request for tea money. However, sometimes they can just make it so difficult until you just want to pay to get the BS to stop. If you can report the officer anonymously, then I think you should - but no guarantee things will change.

Corruption from immigration can be tricky - you don't want to support the bribes - but you don't want to cause trouble for yourself. I think the best is to play naive and ask what is wrong with your papework - what else is needed and ignore the request for tea money. However, sometimes they can just make it so difficult until you just want to pay to get the BS to stop. If you can report the officer anonymously, then I think you should - but no guarantee things will change.

I am shocked by these reports. Have made more entries than I care to count and never have been asked to pay more. Laos, Cambodia, Burma and BKK & DMK. I have always gone to popular entry points, is it the smaller ones that have the problems?

I was done on Thursday at Jomtien for a 60 day extension ,Should be 1900 baht ,She started giving me the runaround saying I did not have the correct paperwork etc ( I knew it was all in order) but if I gave her 4000 baht she would make an exception!.......I just paid it to get out of there I have no more fight in me for the Thai thieves! ,To me all Thai officialdom is corrupt!

People like you and the OP that just hand over money are the problem, you are just perpetuating the corruption. You knew the paperwork was in order? should of just told her to GTF.!!

Hey Lennie,

You been on the juice again? Stand up in an immigration office and tell a policeman/woman to GTF. Do you have a death wish? You certainly wouldn't have got your visa but you would have got a lot more than you bargained for!

• Like 1

I am shocked by these reports. Have made more entries than I care to count and never have been asked to pay more. Laos, Cambodia, Burma and BKK & DMK. I have always gone to popular entry points, is it the smaller ones that have the problems?

You have just been lucky. Cambodia makes Thailand luck like angles.wink.png

I've been here 9 years and never been offered any of these, can you tell me where I can get them? biggrin.png

Just returned from extending my non-o marriage for 60 days

Please can some one tell me what this means?

Why TF should anyone be extenending a non - o marriage visa for 60 days?

I go every year and extend my visa on the basis of being married to a Thai, never had a problem.

Cop told me 'law changed', can only give 30 days

What law, and why didnt you or your mrs question it?

My wife handed over an extra B1,000 (total B2,900) and suddenly 60 days extension was possible

60 days, why werent you given a 1 year exestenstion?

All right questions and doubts rgs2001uk, but keep in mind that most if not all expats are highly dependable of immigration officers regarding their stay in Thailand.

Immigration can deny you an extension or even do not allow you stay any longer. That's the main reason that most people do pay up........and if you don't......beste case scenario: all next visits will be a pain the a_s_s

Kittykong if you don't pay the "extra" you will be given the runaround,maybe having to go back several times If you query the request to a superior officer you will be told "this is correct" then what are going to do?...They do what they like to you ,you're standing on one leg in here,,Wake up!!!!

The law is clear ??? Show us that law please. An immigration officer need a very good reason to refuse entry. Not just his "discretion", that is mind that exist only in the mind of ignorant foreigners.

Pathetic apologist for crime are worse than those that do the crime itself.

By the way the incident mentioned happened at Dan Nok, where they collect tens of thousand daily. Inform yourself.

Edited by paz

Kittykong if you don't pay the "extra" you will be given the runaround,maybe having to go back several times If you query the request to a superior officer you will be told "this is correct" then what are going to do?...They do what they like to you ,you're standing on one leg in here,,Wake up!!!!

Don't assume things. More likely with correct paperwork the extension will be granted and the officer will babble something about a "misunderstanding". They know very well what they are doing is serious, and the foreigner has remedies even if not so apparent to you.

Edited by paz

you not the only one op ,immigration used to sting the wife every year for 1000bht extra for my extension ,its the only times i have really paid tea money,however i have sold that problem now ..divorced the wife....smile.png.

nothing will change here 6 months ago you had people dying in the streets calling for reform and an end to corruption ,nothing has changed seems to have got worse imo...

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

I know it seems easier at the time to just pay it, but if your docs were in order, you really should question anything that you are asked for in excess of what you are expecting to pay because not doing so makes them think, "well one paid it without question, let's see how many more will".

refused to pay once for "express service" (wife said we are not in a hurry). IO was pissed off, even complained to our character witness, who i might add showed very little sympathy (lol), but what could she do? docs were in order so extension was processed.

since then we have never been asked again.

• Like 1

refused to pay once for "express service" (wife said we are not in a hurry). IO was pissed off, even complained to our character witness, who i might add showed very little sympathy (lol), but what could she do? docs were in order so extension was processed.

Just to prove that not all extortion attempts are successful and not all Thais conspire against the foreigner.