Anyone have up to date info on eD visa in Bangkok?

After reading about the crazy changes down in Phuket, I wanted to see if anyone here had some info regarding eD visa in Bangkok

Are they changing the amount of hours and days you need to study?

I'm not on an eD visa but I am interested in doing one in the future. I already taught myself to read the Thai alphabet and have a basic understanding of the language.

I'm interested in legitimate learning, but 5 days a week is an awful schedule. I'd very much prefer to be able to do my classes on 1 or 2 days so I have free time to travel, sleep in, etc.

So any students here who have heard from their schools? Walen said anything? Ubonjoe?

In Bangkok it is 2 hours a day for 4 days a week.

If you want more flexibility you can go to school on a tourist visa.

4 days is better but still terrible. I didn't even have to attend uni 4 times a week when studying my degree.

Is it possible to do the same amount of hours but on less days?

Edited by Metapod

See post #4 in this thread where pro language bkk say in an email they're still giving Ed visa paperwork for only 180 hours/yr as normal. I studied there before and would not be surprised if the 'changes' don't get implemented for them. They tend to play by their own rules.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/773571-ed-visa-hour-requirments/

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Now confirmed Thailand's immigration department have been investigating Ed Visas.

If you come to Thailand you are required to have the correct visa in accordance with the visa immigration laws.

If you don't have the correct visa you will be refused entry.

This is the law in all countries.

Now confirmed Thailand's immigration department have been investigating Ed Visas.

If you come to Thailand you are required to have the correct visa in accordance with the visa immigration laws.

If you don't have the correct visa you will be refused entry.

This is the law in all countries.

confirmed what? you didnt add anything here.

what are the actual laws regarding ed visa currently for bangkok?

4hours a week or 8hours a week?

"It has also been confirmed to Thaivisa that in Bangkok there is a requirement for students to attend classes 4 times per week for 2 hours per class, which has previously been reported by several members in our visa forum, as this post from earlier in November shows."

From this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776676-new-requirements-for-ed-visa-extensions-in-phuket/?p=8673372#entry8673372

When I attended ProLanguage from June 2013 to June 2014 for 12 months Thai language study, I studied once a week, every Saturday from 1300 hrs to 16.20 hrs. I have just checked their website schedule, and they are still offering this once a week class.

Of course this could change but I would certainly contact them to enquire as to their current schedule.

Enjoy.

Edited by hathairat2711
  • Like 1

When I attended ProLanguage from June 2013 to June 2014 for 12 months Thai language study, I studied once a week, every Saturday from 1300 hrs to 16.20 hrs. I have just checked their website schedule, and they are still offering this once a week class.

Of course this could change but I would certainly contact them to enquire as to their current schedule.

Enjoy.

I looked and that was for classes starting in September.

I think you will find things have certainly changed.

You must also remember that info on websites is not always up to date.

Emailed pro language bkk, they replied saying they were 'going to change to 4 days/week but currently the process of doing so' which I suspect may mean they'll just blag it, pretend they're complying and nothng will change.

In Bangkok it is 8 lessons per week. It is a reasonable number of lessons, not a major drama. Some visa schools still cheat the system but they may not be around much longer. Immigration knows schools "selling" visas. Risky business joining them just because they are cheaper.

post-46756-0-70073400-1416316249_thumb.j

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

1 post removed as it was an email and in Thai.

Poster can state what the email said in English so all can read it.

Ok, just thought some might like to see a clear Thai email as things can get lost in translation in English. I posted what it said - 'we're going to change to 8 hrs/week but we're still in the process of changing'.

Just speculation but this sounds like a case when the school will keep doing what's easy for them, and in the unlikely event they're questioned will just say they're in the process of doing things right. Just like farang teachers routinely teach without a work permit for the first few months until the school secures one for them - I used to teach.

I wouldn't be surprised to see schools give lip service to these changes and hope it all gets forgotten about, as so many previous clampdowns have been. Remember when Walen announced requirements for a 2 year visa history check, two application forms with proof of financial income and scrutiny on reasons for studying? Didn't end up happening.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/

In Bangkok it is 8 lessons per week. It is a reasonable number of lessons, not a major drama. Some visa schools still cheat the system but they may not be around much longer. Immigration knows schools "selling" visas. Risky business joining them just because they are cheaper.

180 lessons a year was the norm in any major language school prior to these changes, so 3.5 a week. They weren't selling visas. It may have now changed to 8 hours but why say 'some schools still cheat the system' ; that WAS the system.

Edited by jspill

MacWalen, 8 lessons per week but is that over 4 days? I am currently only studying 2 days at Walen in Asoke

Perhaps twice a week for 4 lessons will work for the immigration, but the total number of hours is is still 8 as required by MOE and immigration. If they do not make it too strict it could work as we are meeting the number of lessons required. Hope it makes sense.

Col Sunchai added that his Phuket office will not be enforcing a mandatory minimum number of hours that any foreign student must attend each week. “That depends on the school offering the course,” he said. “They can set up their own class timetable.

Source - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777261-phuket-immigration-warns-of-education-visa-crackdown/

I renewed my ED visa last week.

The paperwork said I studied 4 days a week for 1 hour a day at a different location.

I actually study 2 hours, 2 times a week.

Same amount of hours just worded differently for the gov't.

So I think you can study as you see fit, but the schools must have the paperwork conform to what the gov't wants.

I don't care to list my school's name and get them in any trouble.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 1