German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

"what the hell is going on in Udon?"

I think the Farang who thought living in a rural area would be relatively peaceful and crime free, are starting to wake up.

Or perhaps, due to the internet, the crimes that have always happened are being reported globally...

Udon Thani city, is not a "rural area". Move from there at least 40 km and rural it is. rolleyes.gif

40? Try 4..outisde the ring road.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

It appears to be a bit more than just a trend. There are deep resentments being expressed by such acts and total disregard for falang life. I am becoming more alarmed daily, not because of the attacks but because this is the place I chose to retire to and the source of my greatest companion in like, my good wife.

I imagine the dynamics are cumulative and multidimensional, but the Thai authorities must make some sort of an example here or the damages will recur in ever increasing horror and outrage. The publicity grows as never before as evidenced by the two citations below.

Careful, falangs . . . careful

Aussie tourists come to grief in Thailand than any other country, with 168 tourists taken to hospital in the Land of Smiles in the past year alone.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/travel/thailand-revealed-as-the-most-dangerous-destination-for-australian-travellers/story-fnjjuxwc-1226769908571?nk=71609635d174ab43c7cd21c2c4a936a8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/11228849/Thailand-most-dangerous-tourist-destination-claims-book.html

An insightful post.

My question to you would be if heavy punishments against youthful offenders actually make the Thai populace blame/dislike the farang more? Would more of the population start to think along the lines of us vs them? Them being you & me.

Will farangs be seen more and more as disrupting the Natural Harmony of Thailand?

Yeah, let's hope they let these thugs off lighty because if they are punished severely for trying to murder an innocent, random foreigner, that might upset other Thais and cause them to try kill more of us.

• Like 2

Wow! Incredible.

A nasty and vicious attack from the sounds of this and totally unprovoked.

I really do hope the German guy does survive with his faculties and abilities intact.

These 3 need some severe punishment to prevent more copycat attacks.

Thank god it doesn't happen in the west...unprovoked attacks by young thugs on defenceless victims. Almost unheard of eh?

Sure it happen in the West but you have to go into a Western-forum to read about - this is a Thai-forum with anything happening here in Thailand but better close your eyes and pretend western-countries are as bad as Thailand(ness)

Well senseless attacks sadly occur in all countries and i feel most Thais are not Barbaric at all-

However, the western media have beat this story up and droves of would be tourists cancelled .

Just too fast after the real double rape and murder crimes.

It could happen anywhere.

I wish Thailand a recovery of sorts with its profile.

Though , my family have postponed going back there until democracy returns - we have fond memories.

I hope westerners are not senselessly targeted in future and this crime and the prior ones fade into memory

This is very upsetting...particularly to my wife and I. We spent many mornings in that park...just before sunrise. In the 3 years that we lived there, we went every day, and saw nothing like this. There was a gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff, at his house...but not random violence at the park.

Police and military are helpless against this kind of violence.

I know it sounds bad....because it is.

uhh, Police and military are NOT helpless against this kind of violence. They have these really cool weapons called GUNS. You should get one. It levels the playing field immediately! Your fear will will fly away...

This is very upsetting...particularly to my wife and I. We spent many mornings in that park...just before sunrise. In the 3 years that we lived there, we went every day, and saw nothing like this. There was a gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff, at his house...but not random violence at the park.

uhh, Police and military are NOT helpless against this kind of violence. They have these really cool weapons called GUNS. You should get one. It levels the playing field immediately! Your fear will will fly away...

An illusion unfortunately. Statistically, if you own a self-defense weapon, you or a member of your family will be twice as likely to end up a as homicide victim than if you don't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/opinion/sunday/dangerous-gun-myths.html?_r=0

Either you're suggesting that there needs to be armed police patrols everywhere, or that the victim(s) should have been armed and shot the perpetrator prior to him striking the first blow.

Not sure what kind of justice system would agree with that as "reasonable force" in defense of a threat from a hoe........

As for the armed police patrols -- they can't even do that right in western countries.......

Third suspect not present because he is a minor,yeah,a minor with the mind of a murderer.

I believe that in such serious incidents, under 18's should be tried as adults ! Well, at least, say, if they are in the 15-18 range.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Racial hatred is rife in this country. Any westerner who understands Thai fluently need only spend five minutes in a public place to know this.

Well....You Def have my curiousity up....do tell...what are they saying about Us?..Me?..The "Falang"???

And what is your reaction?...Do you reply?...make eye contact....?...A simple.."kao jai" just...curious....

• Like 1

Usually cowards like this usually work in groups of three, at least. Maybe it's being compared to Koh Tao in the boldness that they did it when they only outnumbered the victim 2 to 1.

I like traveling in the provincial towns of Thailand, usually there is some amusement in seeing a farang in town, and the treatment I get is civil. Very few exceptions, and Udon was one such place. I'll transit through there on the way to Lao, but that's it. Bad vibes.

Any news of the condition of the victim?

The Thai friends he was with - were they hurt? I thought I read that one had a broken arm? Was he attacked or was he defending the victim?

Good evening,

yesterday evening I came back and read that story today on TV, so I decided to go to the hospital in order to visit him.

The good news is While Michael suffered severe head injuries, he will survive. Michael is conscious and was able to speak with me. He is a very nice kid, was calm and only a bit surprised when I showed up (as we are not related in any way). He was in critical condition and lost a lot of blood but now seems to be stable, but weak and shocked of course. Still my impression is that he copes with it.

The bad news is He is in the public hospital beside Nong Prajak, which is not the best place. He stays in a room with around 15 other poor souls. It was even difficult for me to find him. Nobody wanted to understand my Thai.

I am trying now to get him into the Aek Udon (as these people somehow understood my Thai). Unfortunately he does not seem to have any health insurance, in fact he is just a kid, but a good one. So I will see what I can make possible.

He had contacts with his mom already. Also the tourist police spoke with him. I did not got into the details in order to give him as much rest as possible. Will visit him tomorrow again and keep you posted. Thank you for your sympathy though, Michael much appreciates it.

Regards

wish him all the best

can his family support his move to a better hospital?

I am not sure about that. I spoke with the AEK Hospital today, ICU is around 10250 THB/day depending on the condition. I offered already to pay the transport and one week in the hospital (and see how far we come). AEK is checking with the Goverment Hospital the actual status, also what bill is open at the Gov. Hospital. I will go there again in the morning to speak with Michael. He definitely understands the advantage of the AEK (also to avoid long term damage and scarfs), but could not decide anything today due to funds. Also he needed to rest.

Will keep you informed tomorrow, I keep trying to get him into the AEK Udon.

You are a kind person...nice to see some empathy, a rare thing to find here in my exps.

Michael%20S.%20%2825%29.JPG

The injuries sustained by Michael are not life threatening.

Good news! Here's wishing him a speedy recovery with no lasting damage. And many thanks IgboChief for going up there to check things out. Please tell Michael that there are a lot of us pulling for him. Well done!

Great news. Still waiting for an answer from DHV ( Deutscher Hilfsverein Bangkok) if they can send somebody to Udon Thani to sort things out. Time to get him to a proper hospital without the possibility to get viruses from other patients in the ICU.

A German guy passed last year,as he caught some severe viruses from other patients in a huge ICU room.

Should any relatives read this here, please get in touch with DHV under:([email protected] phone: 022873761

They speak German, English and Thai. Might be a good one to speed things up. Should anybody go to see Michael, kindest regards from Michael from Sisaket.

I hope they'll send somebody to Udon Thani, I'll be there on the weekend. Let's just hope that he fully recovers and gets all needed help.

Good Morning,

I just came back from the Hospital. Given the circumstances Michael is doing well and I shall greet all of you. He is not sure on accepting my offer to take him to the AEK Udon due to the costs. He wants to discuss with his family first, which will arrive today. I accept that and do not want to push him into anything, luckily it is not so bad as the first news indicated -- pretty serious though.

He has my phone number and can call me at any time if anything is needed. Further I will visit him on Friday again.

Strong reminder for everyone, please check you have proper health insurance! ICU at Aek was indicated with 10500 THB/d, Wattanna indicated 20000-30000 THB (yes, I asked twice to confirm that!). Just prepare yourself for "what/if", even if the odds are small.

Take care!

BTW, there is one thing which really bugs me. At the AEK people spoke fluent English, we just switched to Thai occasionally. At Wattana they did not speak English, but understood my (broken) Thai very well and explained everything in easy language to me. At the Government Hospital though I was almost lost as people refused to understand or assist me. Only on the second visit today they opened up a bit.

Speaking from MY personal exps..i have learned to trust my "gut feeling" here as its proved to be

accurate in most cases...I get the vibe thais DONT like it when u speak thai or know thai as they

love to gossip and talk sh*t about us, which was noted on this and other threads....my guess would

be a "falang" walks in and speak thai--they dont like..and YOU are in a THAI hopital..go to the $$

falang one..this one is for THAIS...I got it from going to a "thai" bar once and was told to my face

i was not wanted....and they were thai Uni boys--and yep--drunk....anyways---i also would say that

they see that this is news and public and it makes them look BAD--"face"--uh oh--there another

falang trying to help his own and its because a THAI did something very bad....again..losing face.

It seems to me they must confirm the bad deeds of thier own wasted uncaring violent kids and

deal with you-besides thais never speak to me unless they are after something..just MY exps.......

i always ask tourists i help if ANY thais have just walked up and said hello, WITHOUT expecting

something?....they all think a bit..then say...NO.....this has been my exps here for over 5 years..

Again..before the bashing and whatever..i can only speak from MY own personal experiences..wai2.gif

• Like 1

Usually cowards like this usually work in groups of three, at least. Maybe it's being compared to Koh Tao in the boldness that they did it when they only outnumbered the victim 2 to 1.

I like traveling in the provincial towns of Thailand, usually there is some amusement in seeing a farang in town, and the treatment I get is civil. Very few exceptions, and Udon was one such place. I'll transit through there on the way to Lao, but that's it. Bad vibes.

These up country towns have changed a lot in 10 years. A lot of money flying around up there in the last decade, a lot of fortunes made, night clubs built and a lot of young blokes with far too much wonga and not enough to do. Then throw in a bit of an influx of foreigners with bars and restaurants and the atmosphere isn't the quaint sleepy country towns as before. The place I was now has massive nightclubs and discos all with kids falling out of them smashed. The amount of foreigners has exploded some of whom (not all) spend most of their day propping up the bar getting into the odd altercation.

Things change, except the police stay the same. Just as bribeable as always.

These up country towns have changed a lot in 10 years. A lot of money flying around up there in the last decade, a lot of fortunes made, night clubs built and a lot of young blokes with far too much wonga and not enough to do. Then throw in a bit of an influx of foreigners with bars and restaurants and the atmosphere isn't the quaint sleepy country towns as before. The place I was now has massive nightclubs and discos all with kids falling out of them smashed. The amount of foreigners has exploded some of whom (not all) spend most of their day propping up the bar getting into the odd altercation.

"The place I was now has massive nightclubs........."

Is it personal as to where you were, so we can understand whether we are talking about Khon Kaen or Kanchanaburi or...?

Is it personal as to where you were, so we can understand whether we are talking about Khon Kaen or Kanchanaburi or...?

That is Khon Kaen. But it stands for plenty of other places.

From Post #617 above: "The place I was now has massive nightclubs and discos all with kids falling out of them smashed."

Is it necessary for one to maintain a high quality of life in Khon Kaen to be around these nightclubs and discos at 2-4 AM when such merriment occurs?

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

You hit the nail on the head and that could be said for most foreigners here.

There are so many farang in Udon Thani I can understand why the local youth don't like them. most are beer-guzzling elderlies with young country women. These 'wairoon' have no chance to find a decent girlfriend.

Is it possible that perhaps the influx of drunk obnoxious foreigners might be causing all the problems ? In every place i have traveled they tend to be the root of most of the problems.

That is Khon Kaen. But it stands for plenty of other places.

"A gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff" that sounds grisly. Care to elaborate as to why that happened? He didn't pay them enough?

Sounds a bit fishy to me, but very sad nonetheless.

Foreigners don't raise an eyebrow anymore anywhere in Thailand, not even the smallest villages. I know because I regularly drive all over Thailand for work and apart from the odd Thai commenting favorably upon hearing my fluent Thai, there is no more curiosity - people walk past me and don't notice me. That could be because everywhere you go nowadays, you know you're not the only one, plus with Thailand's mass tourism industry, it's hard to find anywhere that hasn't been touched in some way by foreigners anymore. Even places I thought I'd have to myself such as Sangkhlaburi near the Burmese border town of the three pagodas pass in Kanchanaburi now attracts a steady stream of backpackers and adventure seekers.

It was different 10-15 years ago though, I'll admit that.

There are so many farang in Udon Thani I can understand why the local youth don't like them. most are beer-guzzling elderlies with young country women. These 'wairoon' have no chance to find a decent girlfriend.

I don't really think that's a fair comment. An elderly "farang" minding his own business, irrespective of who he chooses to share his company with should be of no concern to these "wairoon" or anyone else. I mean, don't they have better things to do like say going to school or just well getting a life?

I think Johnniey has a good point. The beer guzzling foreigners that dress like slobs with bar girl in tow have NO chance of ever finding a decent girlfriend. It is not only the local youth that don,t like them. They leave behind a bad impression for all foreigners. Ask any decent Thai their opinion of them.

I don't really think that's a fair comment. An elderly "farang" minding his own business, irrespective of who he chooses to share his company with should be of no concern to these "wairoon" or anyone else. I mean, don't they have better things to do like say going to school or just well getting a life?