Don't die for DIY!

Crossy

A couple of cautionary videos for users of this forum.

Obviously the UK links are of little use in sunny Thailand, but the message is clear, ensure the person giving the advice is trustworthy.

In our case multiple similar answers is probably the solution, or is it?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a guy (intelligent bloke too) who tackled a broken water heater here in Pattaya about 2 years ago. Sadly it was the last thing he ever did in this world.

Don't die for DIY is very good advice here. Especially in a country with lower standards of electrical safety

• Like 1

I remember a guy (intelligent bloke too) who tackled a broken water heater here in Pattaya about 2 years ago. Sadly it was the last thing he ever did in this world.

Don't die for DIY is very good advice here. Especially in a country with lower standards of electrical safety

Good advise, especially where 220v is used.
  • Like 1

WARNING!

Even turning power off at the Consumer Unit (Fuse Box) before touching the electrics in Thailand, DOES NOT always turn every appliance off.

Showers and Air Cons are quite often wired directly onto the live tail wires from the outside meter to the Consumer Unit.

Although these appliances are usually fitted with isolation switches, the switches themselves are still live even if the appliance isn't.

The only way to kill all power sometimes, is to disconnect the tails from the outside meter.............not recommended for the faint hearted.

Would you pick up a Malaysian Pit Viper..............Electricity bites as well and just as deadly.

• Like 2

Its a sad day when the most basic laws of physics are demonstrated in these puerile videos. It will not make any difference because anyone stupid enough to die like this will get knocked down crossing the road on the way to tell his mates he saw a video after changing a plug.

If you need to deal with electrical wiring and don't have a decent voltmeter, invest 50 baht in one of those screwdrivers with a neon light and resistor inside. With either you can easily check to see whether a wire is hot before dealing with it.

1. ALWAYS open the main breaker before starting work.

2. ALWAYS verify that a conductor is not hot before touching or working on it.

3. ALWAYS avoid creating a path from your hand through your heart to ground (clean rubber boots) or the opposite conductor, even though admonitions 1 and 2 have been followed.

4. NEVER work on electrical systems when under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or greatly fatigued.

5. NEVER work on electrical systems that you don't fully understand.

Anything missing from the above?

I think you got most of it Rick.

I would add. "Always test the device you are using to prove dead on a circuit that is live."

You don't want a blown neon to kid you that a circuit is dead, you may very well end up that way.

"Proving Dead" is probably the single most difficult thing to do in the electrical world.

I have often got a shock from 220 V...never did me much harm....... In fact, they used to say the odd shock was good for the body. Never heard af anybody dying from the examples in the videos. Maybe yes if one was a weak 90 yr.old or a child, not even sure about that or if he was standing in a metal bucket of water in his bare feet. Back home it's all 220Volt and most of us have grown up getting an electric shock or two at some time or other. Quite common to check if a wire was live or not by touching it with a finger.

Edited by dotpoom

RickFarang, on 27 Nov 2014 - 11:40, said:

If you need to deal with electrical wiring and don't have a decent voltmeter, invest 50 baht in one of those screwdrivers with a neon light and resistor inside. With either you can easily check to see whether a wire is hot before dealing with it.

1. ALWAYS open the main breaker before starting work.

2. ALWAYS verify that a conductor is not hot before touching or working on it.

3. ALWAYS avoid creating a path from your hand through your heart to ground (clean rubber boots) or the opposite conductor, even though admonitions 1 and 2 have been followed.

4. NEVER work on electrical systems when under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or greatly fatigued.

5. NEVER work on electrical systems that you don't fully understand.

Anything missing from the above?

Always use VDE electrically insulated screwdrivers, not just any old screwdriver.

maderaroja, on 27 Nov 2014 - 10:18, said:
Faz, on 26 Nov 2014 - 19:08, said:
maderaroja, on 26 Nov 2014 - 18:05, said:maderaroja, on 26 Nov 2014 - 18:05, said:

Unfortunately, there are no real electricians in Thailand.

Rephrase that please............there are no real Thai Electricians.

No way to find anyone else who might be a real electrician.

No locally retired but qualified farangs?

When I recently moved into my rented house, I couldn't believe the state of the wiring, lack of earths, shower and air con wired directly onto the incoming tails from the meter. The landlady couldn't understand my concerns because everything was working.

For my own peace of mind I fitted a new RCD Consumer Unit and rewired half the house, at my own cost, but I sleep better at nights now.

The incoming earth was 2mm and grounded to the steel reinforcement bars in the footings, rather than an earthing rod.

When I checked it, I had a similar experience to Crossy. Below ground level 6" of the earth cable had completely rotted away.

I fitted a 1.8m earth rod and changed the earth cable from the Consumer Unit to the earthing rod to a 6mm earth cable.

I'll do regular inspections on the earth rod though.

Edited by Faz