Triumph bikes in Thailand

DILLIGAD

Good news- I had my Tiger xcx on order from Dec 1st. Before the motor expo.

Not so good - my 2010 Thruxton that I was thinking of selling is now worth a lot less.....

I kind of wanted to keep it anyway... I just don't ride it so much these days but when I do... Wow.

I bought it second hand for a good price anyway.

Those of you getting misty eyed about triumphs classic range take note. I spent near 100k getting mine to a point where it goes, sounds and handles properly......

What did you get for 100k?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exhaust, front & rear suspension, airbox removal kit, efi map, better tyres and some cosmetic changes. (rear mudguard & lights especially needs changing)

Looks like you done the full treatment on yours.

Many on the Triumph forum have run 100% stock for a while and most do the exhaust(remapping efi)/rear shocks and leave it at that.

I found a British web page that sells mufflers for app. 300 US$ and they are supposed to sound very good (Mufflers are called Dunstall) and you need remapping after fitting them.

Roumers are that the Bonneville models will struggle to pass the new EU lower emmisions laws coming into force in 2016 (I think) and the twin engine will have to be water cooled to pass those new lower emmisions law. This is only what I can read on the forum, nobody knows anything for certain.

Better order that Bonnie sooner than later, eh.

Wow, I'm really in love with the Street Triple R. the front forks and the rear are top quality! and brakes too.

Downpayment is 20K, The guy at the motorexpo said he got over 650 orders and delivery is expected to be July-August. it comes with Pirelli rosso 2 tires.

It seems only Honda and Kawa are selling bikes with shitty dunlop tires and crappy brakes.

Wow, I'm really in love with the Street Triple R. the front forks and the rear are top quality! and brakes too.

Downpayment is 20K, The guy at the motorexpo said he got over 650 orders and delivery is expected to be July-August. it comes with Pirelli rosso 2 tires.

It seems only Honda and Kawa are selling bikes with shitty dunlop tires and crappy brakes.

The CB500X comes stock with Pirelli Scorpion Trail....brakes are crap though compared to what is available...but I'm happy with their performance for the price I paid.

Good news- I had my Tiger xcx on order from Dec 1st. Before the motor expo.

Not so good - my 2010 Thruxton that I was thinking of selling is now worth a lot less.....

I kind of wanted to keep it anyway... I just don't ride it so much these days but when I do... Wow.

I bought it second hand for a good price anyway.

Those of you getting misty eyed about triumphs classic range take note. I spent near 100k getting mine to a point where it goes, sounds and handles properly......

May be you want to sell you Thruxton? pm me

The CB500X comes stock with Pirelli Scorpion Trail....brakes are crap though compared to what is available...but I'm happy with their performance for the price I paid.

Surprisingly enough the cb500x is the only bike with "OK" tires.

Even the ER6n and CB650, which costs 265-300K comes with such a cheap tire.

I met quite a few people at motor-expo and they were all impressed with new Triumph bikes.

good competition for Ducati, Honda and Kawa.

One good thing with the classic twins is they use keihin efi and there is free software called tune efi so with the right cable you can download maps yourself. The triumph arrow after market exhaust map is out there free. Called the off road map. I bought mine from a chap in the UK because I removed the airbox as well but uploaded it myself, he just emailed it to me. Beats changing jets!

It seems Thriumph beat Honda in sales. because honda has no bike for booking, you can get buy any right away it seems, but over 600 bookings for triumph.

they will be needing more service centers.

Kawasaki performance was quite poor. I guess the prices and bikes not appealing this year.

It seems Thriumph beat Honda in sales. because honda has no bike for booking, you can get buy any right away it seems, but over 600 bookings for triumph.

Kawasaki performance was quite poor. I guess the prices and bikes not appealing this year.

How is triumph 379 more then hondas 459?

Also, Triumph did the same thing in Brazil, they opened a factory there and prices are super low, actually exactly the same as in Thailand.

2 years ago, the Street triple was costing nearly 28K USD in Brazil, now it's 13K USD. just like in Thailand. and they managed to out sell every other brand except Honda with over 50 models of bikes.

that was an estimate assuming the bookings... all bikes from honda are available now (2-3 weeks). but triumph there is huge waiting list.

which I came to conclusion, they outsell honda. I could be wrong.

Because Honda sells boring bikes, that's why.

Thais loves exotic brands like Harley-Ducati and now Triumph.

Everybody and his dog have a Honda so the 3 above brands are much more cool for the Thais.

Everybody and his dog have a Honda so the 3 above brands are much more cool for the Thais.

So they (thais) love exotic brands but buy more boring bikes? If what you say is true Triumph should change its design to boring. Then their boring sales of 50,000 bikes could copy hondas boring millions of bike sales.

Don't you love how we can now talk about how boring Honda's cheap big bikes are?

It's amazing Triumph has finally come around to doing what they should have been doing years ago, only took 2 - 3 years of Ducati selling like hotcakes and BMW starting down the same road to change their minds. Triumph just underestimated the big bike market here, thinking it would remain stuck forever in a weird rich boy toy niche.

Thailand is going to be a pretty big market for big bikes, the signs have been on the wall; there's so many people here able to afford these bikes; there's a near 100% penetration of people able to ride / having ridden a scooter in the past. Good weather and roads; I see all these Thai bike trips on the road, it's great, from modded scooters to 250s to 1000cc sports bikes - anything goes, mixed groups everywhere.

Rich boys are now looking to KTM and MV as the only remaining overpriced import bikes, but honestly once BMW sells their whole range cheap, and Triumph and Ducati start making the remaining models locally the novelty will wear off too. Rich people don't like to overpay either.

Up to last month I was pretty happy I really am not interested in any Triumph bikes... now I'm a little sad... because these prices are absolute killer. The gloves are off!

I think maybe price is a factor as to why the average Thai has a Honda and not a Triumph.

Then again, maybe the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini should start copying Toyota's cars as well to increase their unit sales. That would be really cool to have more eco boxes on the roads and not have any diversity, then we wouldn't have to suffer any more of those ugly supercar designs rolleyes.gif

I think maybe price is a factor as to why the average Thai has a Honda and not a Triumph.

It sure is; a 100k bike like the CBR250 is hard to beat for value.

Honda also has a distribution network second do none, and the name. The name Honda stands for reliability, for bullet proof bikes, and with scooters that's pretty much the way it is; nobody makes better scooters. I know many "know it all" foreigners don't want to believe that and it could be debated endlessly. My personal opinion is that those poorer Thais who invest a large chunk of their income in a scooter know better. They buy Honda because it's a very good product.

For big bikes, reliability isn't as important; it's more a toy, not a day to day commuter. You might need a scooter to make money; you never need a big bike. So big bikes, Honda is currently selling a lot thanks to low prices but there's a very good chance others might make inroads. It's a different game from scooters. And Honda's line-up is largely boring, if good value and good bikes.

Triumphs are not only more exotic but much better quality as well.

the small 675cc engine puts out 106bhp, great suspension and brakes, and it's got 2 year unlimited miles warranty.

I still think the price could be squized down a bit more, perhaps 380K and 420k for the street triple/r if they wanted.

I agree with Nikster, Honda scooters are very good, I own 2 myself and had many Honda Waves over the years and they always worked expect one time the carb was blocked but not more that I could keep the engine going untill I found a roadside shop the fixed it for 100 baht, 555.

Reliable? Hell all brands are that now, well some BMW models are known to have electronic issues.

And again Nikster nailed it regarding big bikes, for most Thais mainly a weekend toy or going on a trip with friends and it sometimes turns into a life style.

In the current middle sized big bike market, Honda is on the bottom on my shopping list. No I don't hate Honda bikes, but they just looks boring to me and I can afford a Bonneville T-100, which will be a toy mainly, but oh boy what a toy. I will take my pick-up truck when it rains or I go shopping.

If that is the case, why it rules on sales numbers?

Maybe they are not thay boring after all?

It sure is; a 100k bike like the CBR250 is hard to beat for value.

Honda also has a distribution network second do none, and the name. The name Honda stands for reliability, for bullet proof bikes, and with scooters that's pretty much the way it is; nobody makes better scooters. I know many "know it all" foreigners don't want to believe that and it could be debated endlessly. My personal opinion is that those poorer Thais who invest a large chunk of their income in a scooter know better. They buy Honda because it's a very good product.

For big bikes, reliability isn't as important; it's more a toy, not a day to day commuter. You might need a scooter to make money; you never need a big bike. So big bikes, Honda is currently selling a lot thanks to low prices but there's a very good chance others might make inroads. It's a different game from scooters. And Honda's line-up is largely boring, if good value and good bikes.

I was not feeling bored on my good selling cbr650f at buriram track this weekend actually.

I think some people have misconceptions about fun or boredom.

It is what you make of it guys! And honda current line up here is ready to do what you want to make of them for a lot less than othersa and with a lot more reliabilty, cheap service and service centers etc.

That is why honda again rules on sales and ducati suffers. Clearly people dont find scrambler and some others models that exciting!

Triumph did a good job though. But their sales will saturate one the low price hype is over. Also its service is very expensive people say.

And a honda is boring but a 60 years old 230 kg underpowered triumph boneville is not? I juat laugh at this.

Archived