Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Triumph bikes in Thailand

DILLIGAD

The problem with older models, from what I have seen on the second hand market, is that people are asking silly prices compared to what they are selling for now. Many 2-3 yr old bikes(Thruxton, Bonneville) at 650k Baht ++. Much more interesting to get a new one and do the modifications you want from a "clean slate". The Ducati Scrambler is looking very appealing as well, unfortunately the interesting model of that bike comes out in May....

Yes but they have to face reality and lower their prices, it make no sense at all paying +app 200k baht on top for a older model compared for a new for 420k and up (depending of model).

I guess they try finding a buyer that don't yet know the new prices and cut their loses but their time is running out and nobody will pay that silly price and they have lost big money on their purchase unless they decide to keep them.

Yes I see your point regarding modifications but after owning a HD before I am feed up with it and prefer a bike I can take out of the show room and keep it at that.

Those mods will be costly in Thailand, poster Bung mentioned 100K baht on his Bonnie Thruxton.

That's one reason that I will not rule out that I will buy a cheap used Bonnie in say 3-5 years from now and then do some tinker myself but I am not gonna pay 470k baht on a new T-100 now and ending spending +550 total before you are done.

You can buy a 115hp Ducati Hyperstarda for 550K with sidebags and all, ready to go touring. Okay not same type of bike I know but still food for thought.

Well anyway they don't deliver any bikes now from what I read here and the dealers are in a mess too, soo no thanks.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with older models, from what I have seen on the second hand market, is that people are asking silly prices compared to what they are selling for now. Many 2-3 yr old bikes(Thruxton, Bonneville) at 650k Baht ++. Much more interesting to get a new one and do the modifications you want from a "clean slate". The Ducati Scrambler is looking very appealing as well, unfortunately the interesting model of that bike comes out in May....

Yes but they have to face reality and lower their prices, it make no sense at all paying +app 200k baht on top for a older model compared for a new for 420k and up (depending of model).

I guess they try finding a buyer that don't yet know the new prices and cut their loses but their time is running out and nobody will pay that silly price and they have lost big money on their purchase unless they decide to keep them.

Yes I see your point regarding modifications but after owning a HD before I am feed up with it and prefer a bike I can take out of the show room and keep it at that.

Those mods will be costly in Thailand, poster Bung mentioned 100K baht on his Bonnie Thruxton.

That's one reason that I will not rule out that I will buy a cheap used Bonnie in say 3-5 years from now and then do some tinker myself but I am not gonna pay 470k baht on a new T-100 now and ending spending +550 total before you are done.

You can buy a 115hp Ducati Hyperstarda for 550K with sidebags and all, ready to go touring. Okay not same type of bike I know but still food for thought.

Well anyway they don't deliver any bikes now from what I read here and the dealers are in a mess too, soo no thanks.

Y'all know they're doing this because they have been following this thread and wanted to have everything tip-top by August when I'm going to buy an XCX?

cheesy.gif

Y'all know they're doing this because they have been following this thread and wanted to have everything tip-top by August when I'm going to buy an XCX?

cheesy.gif

Yeah, that when I'm going into pink elephant farming!

cheesy.gif

Hahass. Dave, sometime do you feel like world is turning around you too?

If a guy from the Ducati Chiang Mai dealer suggested you complain to the HQ in Italy, then it could mean that Ducati BKK is stalling other dealers not under their control on purpose. Maybe they want to make them look bad and take over. Would fit very well into the picture liddelljohn drew earlier.

Lets hope this gets sorted quickly. Before I get my Scrambler ideally :)

Anyone with experience with Ducati Phuket? I deposited with Ducati BKK but will get it delivered to Phuket and serviced here. Wonder if that's gonna create problems...

If a guy from the Ducati Chiang Mai dealer suggested you complain to the HQ in Italy, then it could mean that Ducati BKK is stalling other dealers not under their control on purpose. Maybe they want to make them look bad and take over. Would fit very well into the picture liddelljohn drew earlier.

Lets hope this gets sorted quickly. Before I get my Scrambler ideally :)

Anyone with experience with Ducati Phuket? I deposited with Ducati BKK but will get it delivered to Phuket and serviced here. Wonder if that's gonna create problems...

Suggest you ask in a thread about Ducati.

Happy New Year riders

I understand that Triumph have sold 1000 + bikes since the price "adjustment"

Wonder how they intend to support that lot?

They only have until the beginning of the waiting list to sort it out

Any updates on the Triumph "plan" for dealers/service centres?

Has anyone had experience of service parts costs for a Triumph in LOS. I just wonder if cost of parts have been also reduced now (some) model prices have come down by a large sum?

I understand that Triumph have sold 1000 + bikes since the price "adjustment"

Wonder how they intend to support that lot?

They only have until the beginning of the waiting list to sort it out

Any updates on the Triumph "plan" for dealers/service centres?

Has anyone had experience of service parts costs for a Triumph in LOS. I just wonder if cost of parts have been also reduced now (some) model prices have come down by a large sum?

Unlikely u will se cheaper spares or service costs from main dealers , thats not normal in the automotive business ,,

triumphs service / dealer plans are work in progress , wont be quick ..

Some time back, I was interested in the Bonnie 100, until I saw the price ! Triumph UK advised me that they have two factories near BKK, equipped to the same standard as UK and that their bikes made there are equal to the UK product. However, the official prices in Thailand were the same as imported machines !!

So, this seems to have been the Thai way of saying Thankyou to Triumph for building factories here / training a skilled workforce / employing a large number of Thais / etc., by slapping on taxes equal to an import - disgraceful.

Much hoping that the rumored price deduction is for real

You misunderstand.

Triumph have factories here due to low cost. Part of that low cost is BOI export zone privileges. That is a lot of tax breaks provided everything produced is for export. If they had wanted to enter the domestic market as a domestic manufacturer, the whole set up would have been very different, without the tax breaks.

So you see, you do misunderstand, the thank you from the Thais was in the way of tax breaks for setting up an export industry.

So any bikes currently sold here are correctly subject to the various import duties.

p.s. I think the Triumph factories here are just for parts and the assembly is done elsewhere. Not 100% on this.

Re your last sentence: I think it's about the LSVA, labour share of value added. Assembly in Thailand,with some parts shipped in from the UK.

triumph build s bikes here , mostly bonnevilles and some rocket 3 in one factory at AMATA with 2 production lines since 2006 , they also have 2 other factories making parts at eastern /hemeraj since 2001 and also a 4th plant which is new .

parts made here are sent to UK, India and Brazil and parts made in UK at Hinckley are sent here ,, Thailand is a low labour cost producer but also lower productivity ,, but at retail level spares costs to customers are at INTERNATIONAL price ,,

A few others have mentioned the BOI tax breaks.

I have been told that Triumph did not get their application for BOI priviledges quite right when they originally started their factories in Thailand. At that time no-one was manufacturing any bikes bigger than 200cc here and the market for big bikes was very small. The Japanese (notably Kawasaki first I believe) who have huge production operations here anyway, were able to commence big bike production and their BOI licenses permitted them to sell to the domestic market directly.

I guess that it is not easy to amend a BOI licence. Seems that Triumph have now been able to do that.

A few others have mentioned the BOI tax breaks.

I have been told that Triumph did not get their application for BOI priviledges quite right when they originally started their factories in Thailand. At that time no-one was manufacturing any bikes bigger than 200cc here and the market for big bikes was very small. The Japanese (notably Kawasaki first I believe) who have huge production operations here anyway, were able to commence big bike production and their BOI licenses permitted them to sell to the domestic market directly.

I guess that it is not easy to amend a BOI licence. Seems that Triumph have now been able to do that.

Amazing what a bit of motivation/competition can do. Triumph were fine just plodding along selling their bikes at astronomical prices until the likes of Honda/Kawasaki and even Ducati started selling bikes at sensible prices. Took Triumph a few years to get off their @$$ and sort out the BOI issue but I'm glad they have. Can't imagine they sold too many 675's at 920,000 baht lately.

I wonder how many potential sales they lost in those 6 years though. Personally I would have bought at least one Triumph in that time and most riders I know would say the same. Trouble now is there has been a decent selection of bikes for quite a while now so a lot of people are already sat on big bikes that are less than 2 years old. A huge missed opportunity IMO considering how long they've been building bikes here. Still, by the time they've sorted out their dealer network it might be time for these people to buy again, better late than never...

Initially triumph factories were outside BOI zones at eastern Bowin , but they were parts only factories ,, the production line factory was built in a BOI special tax zone near chonburi by the motorway ..but they did not have the correct license to sell as home produced bikes and also met opposition from influential people linked to the Thai distributer ,, who wanted to keep the brand exclusive ....This was a stumbling block that was only blown away when ducati managed to get their assemblyline plants licensed and as they share the same distributer , the political influence began to slip but its taken over 3 years ,,,,

BMW also had similar issues with a previous Thai distributer / assembler in samut Sakon but broke that issue for the cars and bikes buy building their own production factory in Rayong,,,they also have to tackle issue of spares and service quality in thailand as some of their dealers are abyssmal .

Just got back from Triumph RCA Bangkok. Nothing in stock for sale and every model has a 7 month waiting list and maybe more if more people order. If you order today, maybe you get your bike in August! Lovely, will have to wait until all the local wannabees default on their finance plan, get bored, crash or scare themselves silly....to get a second hand one! I predict that in 2-3 yrs time, the market is flooded with Bonnies and Thruxtons. Similar to what happened with the Ducati Monster. Built in Thailand but last in line to get one....facepalm.gif

Just got back from Triumph RCA Bangkok. Nothing in stock for sale and every model has a 7 month waiting list and maybe more if more people order. If you order today, maybe you get your bike in August! Lovely, will have to wait until all the local wannabees default on their finance plan, get bored, crash or scare themselves silly....to get a second hand one! I predict that in 2-3 yrs time, the market is flooded with Bonnies and Thruxtons. Similar to what happened with the Ducati Monster. Built in Thailand but last in line to get one....facepalm.gif

I'm a weird 'un. Won't buy a bike used. Cars I did, in fact before arriving in LoS I never had a new car/truck.

I have faith that after the initial group of Thais get theirs, or default on their reservation, mine will be available. If it's not, a backhander and a bottle of some nice whiskey for Mother's Day/Queen's birthday will get me to the front of the list.

Still debating on leaving a deposit or not, 7 months is a looooong time. I also, know how the queue system works here and don't want to be hovering or getting pushed back to the end of the line. I fully understand wanting to get a new one! Even though I would take 25% of stock parts off the bike.

Still debating on leaving a deposit or not, 7 months is a looooong time. I also, know how the queue system works here and don't want to be hovering or getting pushed back to the end of the line. I fully understand wanting to get a new one! Even though I would take 25% of stock parts off the bike.

I'd keep the stock parts on. Just add the necessary stuff like a real skid plate, Barkbusters, LED lights, GPS, etc.

What I really want to do though is get a vinyl wrap that will give it the British racing green like the Explorer has (they call it Matt [sic] Kakhi).

sRGBB1, 66, 37 FTW.

• 2 months later...

I rode past the combined Triumph/KTM & MVAgusta dealers yesterday in Ubon and I noticed a newly build showroom/service area 90% completed next door.

It looked possibly double the size so may well be a major facility for customers in the region. Sorry no pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided not to get the tiger xcx i ordered but the deposits are non refundable. If anyone is interested in taking my order i got in good and early., Dec 1st. Trying to pin the dealer here in cm down for a delivery date but i put the order in very soon after they were announced and before the motor show when the bulk of the orders were placed.

I was hoping to do more touring but being a single dad here realised that is not going to happen for a few years yet! Ive got my Thruxton still for day rides.

I've decided not to get the tiger xcx i ordered but the deposits are non refundable. If anyone is interested in taking my order i got in good and early., Dec 1st. Trying to pin the dealer here in cm down for a delivery date but i put the order in very soon after they were announced and before the motor show when the bulk of the orders were placed.

I was hoping to do more touring but being a single dad here realised that is not going to happen for a few years yet! Ive got my Thruxton still for day rides.

Dave Boo was looking at one - PM ?

• 2 weeks later...

My Tiger XCx arrives june 22nd. One of 3 delivered that day. Ive decided to free up some cash and take it. Its too nice not to have it and with the Thruxton and a crf 250l i have a nearly pefect stable! Life is short.

My Tiger XCx arrives june 22nd. One of 3 delivered that day. Ive decided to free up some cash and take it. Its too nice not to have it and with the Thruxton and a crf 250l i have a nearly pefect stable! Life is short.

Correct decision clap2.gif

Archived