Triumph bikes in Thailand

DILLIGAD

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

Which current (something made this century, at any rate) motorcycles have you owned (or at least ridden extensively) that are your basis for comparison?

BTW- I'm impressed that you were able to have your cave wired for the Internet...

Not a whole lot as it happens, Honda Wave, CBR250 and an ER6N, I also own a 1983 Honda 43hp NV400 and these are all good machines, but without an ounce of soul or character. If you want to ride to work pick any one on the Jap list, trouble is RSD, your mind works in only one dimension, molded by the marketing men and you rush from A to B on your 1300cc whateveritis without seeing or feeling anything,.... probably with you knee down.

How many of these Jap bikes will be collected in 30 years time, when all the old British and American bikes are still running and still putting a smile on the faces of their owners and are still being admired by people they pass? "Technology" is a bullshit word for what they are trying to sell you today. Lawrence of Arabia was getting his kicks doing 100mph on his Brough Superior over 80 years ago, so how far have your Jap friends bought us since then? ABS, EFI, BUW and now battery bikes.

Wining, high revving same-same sewing machines with bits of plastic waving around in the wind, we used to call them "Rice Bikes" because rice is also effin boring. I am no big Harley fan but I do get it, laid back riding position, cool gear, with your mates, cruising along at 60mph with that deep throbbing engine note and a real history behind it. Okay we Brits are trying to relive the Cafe Racer days, those great engine soundtracks and okay a couple of spots of oil on the road, but shit it has to be better than this mindless crap they pump out of Japan year on year.

This morning I looked around the bike showrooms in KK, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, I had to look at the badge to tell one from the other, up until the time I dozed off........ My fear is that Triumph are trying to copy this crap, Harley are already building a battery bike, hopeful Obama will put a Fatwa out on the culprit.

My 30 year old Suzuki is still running, just sayin'.

The girl that run out Infront of him might have helped too. Only for LOS that could be replaced by various other species

I thought it was some boys on bicycles, but the same unfortunate result.

And according to Wikipedia (I know)his death,ultimately led to research into crash helmets.

I'm not against advancement,especially safety equipment. Without ending up looking like a Michelin Man!,but a lot of riders want some soul in their bikes.

My range of bikes has been very varied, British, Italian and Jap,from 49cc to 750's. I even nearly brought a Harley a few years ago,a nice sportster.

My favourite was a 1975 Triumph Bonnie T140V,not the fastest or best handling and it leaked oil a bit,but I didn't care.

Wish I still had it!

We all have different tastes and requirements,shame some numbnuts start a slagging match, about who's got the best bike or biggest cock etcetera.

It should be just about the bikes.

Like the old saying,no such thing as bad beer,just some are better than others.

Totally agree Maz.

If I had the money and space I would get all kinds of bikes: vintage (BMW R69S, Ducati 750SS, Ducati Scrambler etc etc), modern bikes (MV F3, Rivale, Ducati Scrambler,Panigale etc etc), street, cross, small and big, even HD (bobber style though) and even electric.

You're missing out on a lot of fun if you set a limit to your experience.

Talking about and comparing bikes is fun and can be a source of knowledge.

If it's done with an open mind.

Talking about bobbers, I was checking out the Triumph UK website earlier and they've got an in house styling competition going on.

Between a Scrambler and a Bobber,that's one big advantage about being a smaller manufacturer.

Can't make my mind up,which one to vote for!

I have to agree with RSD, an old bike with drum brakes and frame/suspension from that age too, not good.

Okay sure if you are into old bikes, I guess it can be fun to ride an old bike from say 1940-1970 but it must be a great releif to get back on a new bike and much safer too.

The current Triumph Bonnevile models makes perfect sence, old bike looking but everything are current technologies and this tread is about the very good news about the (hopefully) much lower prices on the great Triumph bikes.

i did like the "reliable Harley" post pi**ed myself laughing, even more unreliable than a Ducati, my bro-in-law lives in Virginia, owns a large construction company, he and his co-director had a good year, and treated themselves to a new bike each, "Harley" i said, w.t.f.no chance he said to unreliable, they both bought Hondas, as an aside 3 of my mates in the uk bought harleys and every one of them had gearbox faults.and to finish do you know that 80% of Harleys are still on the road -- the other 20% made it back, he he, oh, how i miss my Francis Barnet, (not)

^

Which current (something made this century, at any rate) motorcycles have you owned (or at least ridden extensively) that are your basis for comparison?

BTW- I'm impressed that you were able to have your cave wired for the Internet...

Not a whole lot as it happens, Honda Wave, CBR250 and an ER6N, I also own a 1983 Honda 43hp NV400 and these are all good machines, but without an ounce of soul or character. If you want to ride to work pick any one on the Jap list, trouble is RSD, your mind works in only one dimension, molded by the marketing men and you rush from A to B on your 1300cc whateveritis without seeing or feeling anything,.... probably with you knee down.

How many of these Jap bikes will be collected in 30 years time, when all the old British and American bikes are still running and still putting a smile on the faces of their owners and are still being admired by people they pass? "Technology" is a bullshit word for what they are trying to sell you today. Lawrence of Arabia was getting his kicks doing 100mph on his Brough Superior over 80 years ago, so how far have your Jap friends bought us since then? ABS, EFI, BUW and now battery bikes.

Wining, high revving same-same sewing machines with bits of plastic waving around in the wind, we used to call them "Rice Bikes" because rice is also effin boring. I am no big Harley fan but I do get it, laid back riding position, cool gear, with your mates, cruising along at 60mph with that deep throbbing engine note and a real history behind it. Okay we Brits are trying to relive the Cafe Racer days, those great engine soundtracks and okay a couple of spots of oil on the road, but shit it has to be better than this mindless crap they pump out of Japan year on year.

This morning I looked around the bike showrooms in KK, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, I had to look at the badge to tell one from the other, up until the time I dozed off........ My fear is that Triumph are trying to copy this crap, Harley are already building a battery bike, hopeful Obama will put a Fatwa out on the culprit.

if technology is nothing for you, stop using computers along with electricity and start to ride a bicycle.

feeling, soul these are bs if you ask me in motorcycling. just a political way of saying 'my bike is crappy rocking hot piece of iron breaking down all the time'

i value human and technological advancement not crappy machines breaking down or shaking what you guys call soul and character. i call it old tech, inconvenience, disturbance and ineffeciency.

different folks look different things on bikes, you cant judge people on what they want or like.

you find racing or superbikes boring but they are the most advanced bikes and they dictate the advancement and technology and these generally get filtered down to real world bikes such as your laid back harley has overhead cams and liquid cooling now.

Thanks RSD...I rest my case. If you cannot recognise soul and character as tangible elements. then you will never ever get it.

You swallow the marketing crap and think you are "informed" and that makes you a "real biker", if you were female you would no doubt have huge implants by now. High tech ones, of course.

"i call it old tech, inconvenience, disturbance and ineffeciency"., So I guess you prefer blow-up dolls too, they are convenient, non disturbing and efficient?

.....That's right different people like different things in bikes, so don't criticise those who like a bit of character.

50 years ago millions of people got to work on these "crappy" machines, took holidays too. I drove old cheap British cars for the first 20 years of my driving life, hundreds of thousands of miles with virtually no breakdowns at all, so you are talking <deleted>. My current Isuzu truck has broken down once in 4 years, so technology counts for nothing, things like cam belts came along..."pay up or destroy your engine" and now we are flogged more BS with these Hybrids.

Diesel-electric has around for 50 years in trains, so why isn't it used in cars and bikes?

Sort of on topic and more entertaining than some of the posts in this thread.

Just goes to show that lots of HP isn't everything. Guy says it's had some track prep (unspecified Michelins), Ohlins fork springs, EMC shocks, a different exhaust. Looks like a blast.

Well here's my UK Bonneville T100A2 just after I got it October 2013; pic is Ladybower Resevoir with Snake Pass running across the background left towards Glossop, Manchester (as some may know, Derwent Dam is just across this water and to the right, where the RAF 617 Squadron carried out training sorties for the famous dambusters raid over Germany in WWII

post-118487-0-54737000-1412188812_thumb.
Has straight through Triumph pea-shooter exhausts, K&N filter with updated fuel mapping to match, since pic have also upgraded rear shocks to Hagon units, new progressive front fork springs, bash plate, relocated rectifier to below tank and removed the AIS system (eco crap and gubbins) The polished side panels I have fitted and also now has polished rocker cover. Can not stop anywhere without someone coming over and chatting about the bike, young/old male/female all say how good it looks. The seat and sissy bar is fitted so my kids ride pillion (all grown up but they feel safer with them on) Bike looks better with stock seat IMO I switch every now and then, only a few min job. I would recommend this bike for here in LOS as is a nice ride and comfartable, easy to handle. The SE model has the mag wheels/tubless tyres and by all accounts handles better, I have no issues with the handling and love the bike.

^

if technology is nothing for you, stop using computers along with electricity and start to ride a bicycle.

feeling, soul these are bs if you ask me in motorcycling. just a political way of saying 'my bike is crappy rocking hot piece of iron breaking down all the time'

i value human and technological advancement not crappy machines breaking down or shaking what you guys call soul and character. i call it old tech, inconvenience, disturbance and ineffeciency.

different folks look different things on bikes, you cant judge people on what they want or like.

you find racing or superbikes boring but they are the most advanced bikes and they dictate the advancement and technology and these generally get filtered down to real world bikes such as your laid back harley has overhead cams and liquid cooling now.

Thanks RSD...I rest my case. If you cannot recognise soul and character as tangible elements. then you will never ever get it.

blah-blah-blah-silly-rant

?

I'm sitting here laughing at you.:). You're so clueless you don't even realize that the above post you've quoted, attributed to me, and responded to was written by another poster (as usual, you got so hysterical you didn't take the time to properly read and comprehend it). You're a one-trick-pony- you've even gone back to your old fall-back position of pejoratively comparing posters to women (when logic fails you- as it always does- you give insults a try, which is the true sign of someone who has no real ability to defend his position).

Thanks for completely validating my previous post, though.;)

Same old BS - HD break down, Japanese bikes all the same.

Diesel electric - good idea. A 700 kg motorcycle.

Ever heard the old saying 'four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul'

Ride what you like, but keep your insulting opinions to yourself. I could care less what you ride, why do you care what I ride ?

Or better yet, 'If you ain't got something nice to say, don't say anything'

What is that term from across the pond - '<deleted>'

Ever heard the old saying 'four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul'

Totally agree on this sentence and i like it or lets call it an idiom.

So, as it says, if you have a soul and character, your bike moves it!

it is all about the rider. What we are riding are, it might sound cold but, 'tools' to realize, canalize and project our riding skills, our soul, our character, our tastes and experience to the roads or to the outside world.

Or from another perspective:

Soul, character, these are subjective feelings. A rocking hot iron Harley is liked by some as it shakes and sounds etc and there is no problem with that, i have to admit, they move, look and sound cool at times but it does not mean a smooth, quiet and refined good handling japanese bikes do not have soul and character.

For me, if a bike handles a curves precisely, or it has a stable, consistent and fast straight line performance, or of it has a lot of tech, or if it does not break down, or If it is refined and smooth, or if it gives you a lot of feedback on what is going on, it has soul and character.

So, as you said, different people look on different things at the end. soul, character, fun, tastes, these are all individual subjective feelings and nothing wrong with that, we call it human diversity which makes us individuals.

it is all about the rider. What we are riding are, it might sound cold but, 'tools' to realize, canalize and project our riding skills, our soul, our character, our tastes and experience to the roads or to the outside world.

Soul, character, these are subjective feelings. A rocking hot iron Harley is liked by some as it shakes and sounds etc and there is no problem with that, i have to admit, they move, look and sound cool at times but it does not mean a smooth, quiet and refined good handling japanese bikes do not have soul and character.

For me, if a bike handles a curves precisely, or it has a stable, consistent and fast straight line performance, or of it has a lot of tech, or if it does not break down, or If it is refined and smooth, it has soul and character.

So, as you said, different people look on different things at the end. soul, character, fun, tastes, these are all individual subjective feelings and nothing wrong with that, we call it human diversity which makes us individuals.

And still, ll2, what you ride is always better than what someone else is riding.

You are a very contradictory person.

For me, if a bike handles a curves precisely, or it has a stable, consistent and fast straight line performance, or of it has a lot of tech, or if it does not break down, or If it is refined and smooth, it has soul and character.

And still, ll2, what you ride is always better than what someone else is riding.

You are a very contradictory person.

how did you find out bramds? when did i say ' my bike is better than someone else's?

if you say this, then you become someone saying things just to say or oppose something which sounds funny of course:)

What a meaningless dispute. Everybody has their own taste and prefeference. Someone chooses safety and new technology some other doesnt mind non-existance of abs but nostalgia.

The topic is related to possible Triumps price decrease. I believe you guys should cool your jets or move your pissing competition to some other thread.

What a meaningless dispute. Everybody has their own taste and prefeference. Someone chooses safety and new technology some other doesnt mind non-existance of abs but nostalgia.

The topic is related to possible Triumps price decrease. I believe you guys should cool your jets or move your pissing competition to some other thread.

As the OP, I agree 100%

Same old BS - HD break down, Japanese bikes all the same.

Diesel electric - good idea. A 700 kg motorcycle.

Ride what you like, but keep your insulting opinions to yourself. I could care less what you ride, why do you care what I ride ?

Or better yet, 'If you ain't got something nice to say, don't say anything'

What is that term from across the pond - '<deleted>'

The insults began from the pro Jap brigade and perhaps I shouldn't have swallowed the bait.

Where do you get diesel electric motorcycle = 700kg, are you suggesting a straight transplant? That is not what I meant, I was pointing out that there are many very useful technological breakthroughs denied to us and instead we are offered crap. Example, the XL1 has a tiny 800cc engine and a couple of small lithium batteries and 300mpg, now that is useful.

Some of you younger guys live in the world of the marketing men, others have lived and seen the way it used to be and not everything has been an improvement over the years. We have seen the virtual death of individuality in all consumer products and bikes, if they are nothing else, should be interesting and different.

I am disappointed in Triumph, but understand they want to make make money, so they have sold their souls to the marketing men.

Who doesnt want money?? Why is it so bad to decrease the prices so that some other souls would be flattered as well. Why does owning a Triumph or whatsoever have to be privilege?

Poor those fellas with thicker wallets wont be showing off that they ride expensive bikes which are not significantly different than other brands in terms of technology, speed, safety or any other factor.

I hope Triumph decreases the prices so that many others who dreams for it can also buy.

Who doesnt want money?? Why is it so bad to decrease the prices so that some other souls would be flattered as well. Why does owning a Triumph or whatsoever have to be privilege?

Poor those fellas with thicker wallets wont be showing off that they ride expensive bikes which are not significantly different than other brands in terms of technology, speed, safety or any other factor.

I hope Triumph decreases the prices so that many others who dreams for it can also buy.

I like many others(I assume),hope they do reduce their prices to compete with say Ducati etc.

I know we have to pay a premium over UK prices,but approximately double,is a hard pill to swallow and we all have our own budgets.

Triumph like everyone in business,has to make money. But between them,britbike and import taxes,the price is too high for normal mortals.

they said Thruxton will not be more than 500 K THB so i assume they will reduce the prices a lot.

So, if that is true it means a price reduction of more than 250 K THB!

Hope they decrease the prices 250 k THB for all:)

and that makes Triumph Tiger 800 550 k THB which is nearly the same with BMW GS 800!

post-184955-0-64513000-1416563576_thumb.

Everyone's knocking the British bikes, but I've fallen in love with my old AJS 350 16M, while at home gave it a facelift, new bars, levers, headlight, a big clean. It may be right-foot gear and may not go fast, or reliable, but it is fun. It looks nothing like an AJS, with aprillia upside-down front forks & disk brakes.

Well, so much teasing and no pictures?!?xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

Looks good In Search of Space.

Here is a pic of a friends 1962 AJS back in Europe. I rode it a few times in the Esterel Mountains in the South of France, lovely, but I constantly struggle with the reversed brake/gears set-up.

post-141857-0-07155700-1416629274_thumb.

Everyone's knocking the British bikes, but I've fallen in love with my old AJS 350 16M, while at home gave it a facelift, new bars, levers, headlight, a big clean. It may be right-foot gear and may not go fast, or reliable, but it is fun. It looks nothing like an AJS, with aprillia upside-down front forks & disk brakes.

Well, so much teasing and no pictures?!?xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

Looks good In Search of Space.

Here is a pic of a friends 1962 AJS back in Europe. I rode it a few times in the Esterel Mountains in the South of France, lovely, but I constantly struggle with the reversed brake/gears set-up.

Waaaaay off topic which was: Triumph bikes in Thailand (and the likely much lower prices).

Why don't you old bike lovers open your own tread about museum bikes and keep it off this topic, thanks.

they said Thruxton will not be more than 500 K THB so i assume they will reduce the prices a lot.

So, if that is true it means a price reduction of more than 250 K THB!

Hope they decrease the prices 250 k THB for all:)

and that makes Triumph Tiger 800 550 k THB which is nearly the same with BMW GS 800!

If the Thruxton will be under/approx 500,000,that's about 100,000 more than the UK.

Is that still because of higher Taxes here or someone making extra profit, knowing the expensive market here?.

Archived