Triumph bikes in Thailand

DILLIGAD

I expected the Tiger XRx to be nearer 550k so i think it's a lot of bike for the (suggested) money

Condorman where did you get this info from?

Yes I agree if Cman's quote is correct, only 20.000 more than a T-100 Black and you get so much more bike in the Tiger 800.

I guess the T-100 will have to wait untill I turn 60 in 8 years time and by then there will be many 2nd hand bikes around, win win.

I don't like the entry level Bonneville so much, it just looks wrong to me.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/11/04/2015-triumph-tiger-800-xr-and-800-xc-adventure-motorcycle-review-first-look-photos/

Agreed,I'm 55 now. Not sure which model to get,love a Thruxton for shortish rides,T100 for a more relaxed ride,a Tiger for touring and these crappy roads.

I've passed these new prices onto a few friends,hopefully they will bite as well.

Wish I had the money for all 3 :-(

Looks like the Thruxton would have sharper steering, but what else would it offer over the T100?
The Thruxton would offer my bad back,more pain!. But might be worth it ;-)

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I'm unsure of is the 21" front wheel. It's been a while since I've ridden any bike that has a bigger than 17" front and I wonder what the affect will be on the mountain roads and even splitting traffic.

Dirt bikes use a 21" front wheel because it rolls over obstacles easier. This will also give sharper steering response than a smaller diameter tire.

Also, as tires get smaller in diameter, they usually get wider. This makes them harder to turn, all other things being equal.

Will the 21" tire be more 'twitchy' on the asphalt ? Unknown without a test ride.

I understand the point of using a 21" front tyre to roll over obstacles better...but it's not going to help with a sharper steering response in and of itself. A 21" wheel has a greater centripetal force than a 17". Meaning it's more resistant to change when in motion. I do believe that looking at the rake and trail may actually yield the information about why those dirt bikes are easier to turn. I agree with the wider comment though.

My post was directed at those who have experience riding a dual sport bike; obviously the rake and trail is adjusted to a compromise between off-road and on-road capabilities. I was just wondering if anyone with experience in such a setup could chime in.

just hire a honda crf250l or kawasaki klr250 for a day and you can easily understand the differences.

just hire a honda crf250l or kawasaki klr250 for a day and you can easily understand the differences.

Thought about that. Would require hiring the "M" versions also so that an informed decision could be made.

I would assume that the added weight and power may be an issue that would affect the feel also.

Thought about that. Would require hiring the "M" versions also so that an informed decision could be made.

I would assume that the added weight and power may be an issue that would affect the feel also.

i think it should be fine. of course better if you test also m version before or after the same day.

dave, believe me, 21 inch tire will not bring you any burden on the asphalt. Bike will still carve the corners until you scratch the pegs. Just steering will be slower and lazier.

Think you will find the M has 17" front wheel.

I think you're correct...and that's the reason that hiring both would allow a fair comparison between a 21" and 17" wheel on a similar bike.

i believe you can understand the differences right after or before cb500x.

but get some curves too. it will make the most difference while carving.

unbelievable! after 23 years in Thailand suffering either crushingly expensive or limited choice of proper bikes, it's finally opened up over the last couple of years - and literally the month i leave - my all time favourite brand TRIUMPH start selling their long made-in-thailand bikes at sensible money.

the only consolation is that i've already bought the pictured speed triple to arrive home to wink.png, hehehehe....

happy biking to all new thai triumph owners!

post-6460-0-30846200-1417181825_thumb.jp

Thanks!

Pretty much cements my decision for the next bike...Tiger 800 Xcx. Of course if Honda releases the rumoured Africa Twin 1000 in the same price range I'll be conflicted again.

A manageable 218 kg wet weight, cruise control, 3 rider modes, switchable traction control, switchable ABS, WP shock and forks, etc. The only thing I'm unsure of is the 21" front wheel. It's been a while since I've ridden any bike that has a bigger than 17" front and I wonder what the affect will be on the mountain roads and even splitting traffic.

I believe you would be hard pressed to notice any significant difference in 21 wheel after you've done a 1000 or so k's on it.

As for splitting traffic? Not going to influence that either

Maybe a slightly different feeling at forst, but like anything different you soon get used to it.

if 21 is a major issue for you why not look at the XR instead of XC seems to have all the same gizzmos but not so much off road orientated but has 19 front and is mag wheels.

unbelievable! after 23 years in Thailand suffering either crushingly expensive or limited choice of proper bikes, it's finally opened up over the last couple of years - and literally the month i leave - my all time favourite brand TRIUMPH start selling their long made-in-thailand bikes at sensible money.

the only consolation is that i've already bought the pictured speed triple to arrive home to wink.png, hehehehe....

+1

I've been here 20 years and let's say back then it was so difficult and expensive to own a big bike.

It's got better over the last 5 or 6 years but now there is much better choice than before to buy a big bike with a proper registration and dealer service at a much better price.

Nice bike,I've got my old(1994) Trident to go back too.

Fancy something new and shiny,with warranty etc.

Thanks!

Pretty much cements my decision for the next bike...Tiger 800 Xcx. Of course if Honda releases the rumoured Africa Twin 1000 in the same price range I'll be conflicted again.

A manageable 218 kg wet weight, cruise control, 3 rider modes, switchable traction control, switchable ABS, WP shock and forks, etc. The only thing I'm unsure of is the 21" front wheel. It's been a while since I've ridden any bike that has a bigger than 17" front and I wonder what the affect will be on the mountain roads and even splitting traffic.

I believe you would be hard pressed to notice any significant difference in 21 wheel after you've done a 1000 or so k's on it.

Maybe a slightly different feeling at forst, but like anything different you soon get used to it.

if 21 is a major issue for you why not look at the XR instead of XC seems to have all the same gizzmos but not so much off road orientated but has 19 front and is mag wheels.

So basically after the first couple of days it wouldn't be an issue...thanks for that. I wasn't trying to project a feeling that the 21" hoops was going to be a stumbling block; rather wanted to know other members' experiences on them.

I noted in an earlier post:

The XRX has a 19" front wheel. It is also mag wheels. You also give up the adjustable suspension as well as 40 mm front and 45 mm rear travel. Other than some standard aluminium protection bits there's not much other difference with the exception of the beak that I can tell.

I know that a lot of people don't like beaks on bikes...but I think it completes the look. The spoked wheels are pretty cool also I think looks-wise. The protective bits are nice but not really a deciding factor. I'm looking more at the Showa->WP suspension that has more travel and adjustment. Is all that worth the 40K in upgrades? I think so.

post-99099-14171854965174_thumb.jpg

I didn't do the work,and rides quite nicely.

Nearly got a 955i Daytona that had been streetfighted,but he wrote it off on way back from the Mot!.

Maybe lucky for me?,getting too old.

Hence something more sedate,but still fun is required and these new prices are very tempting.

So basically after the first couple of days it wouldn't be an issue...thanks for that. I wasn't trying to project a feeling that the 21" hoops was going to be a stumbling block; rather wanted to know other members' experiences on them.

I noted in an earlier post:

The XRX has a 19" front wheel. It is also mag wheels. You also give up the adjustable suspension as well as 40 mm front and 45 mm rear travel. Other than some standard aluminium protection bits there's not much other difference with the exception of the beak that I can tell.

I know that a lot of people don't like beaks on bikes...but I think it completes the look. The spoked wheels are pretty cool also I think looks-wise. The protective bits are nice but not really a deciding factor. I'm looking more at the Showa->WP suspension that has more travel and adjustment. Is all that worth the 40K in upgrades? I think so.

Sorry i hadn't seen the earlier post about 19 wheels,

Your choice is IMO more about how much off raod riding you want to do.

The Xc has more mods for more time off road riding..spokes for more durability, longer fork travel ,protectors etc maybe 60/40 bias off road

The Xr still has a lot of off road potential but abit more biased to road use maybe 60/40.

The 40k or 70k differnce as posted above Tiger 800 XCX >>>550k Tiger 800 XRX 480k >>is a lot of spare money for other treats

Up to you as they say in Thailand.

Whatever choice you make it sounds good

The Xc has more mods for more time off road riding..spokes for more durability, longer fork travel ,protectors etc maybe 60/40 bias off road

The Xr still has a lot of off road potential but abit more biased to road use maybe 60/40.

The 40k or 70k differnce as posted above Tiger 800 XCX >>>550k Tiger 800 XRX 480k >>is a lot of spare money for other treats

I must be reading the posted Prices incorrectly as the XRX is listed at 535 000 thb and the XCX is listed at 575 000 thb. The base XR is 485 000, but you give up all the electronic gizmos as far as I can tell.

Could I use the extra off-road capabilities of the XCX over the XRX? Not a chance in hell. However, the extras just seem to be worth the 40K baht. Will it put a crimp in my accessorising it? Sure. But either way the bike will get fitted with panniers, a top box and LED spot/wide angle lights. I love them on my 500X and can't see not putting them on future bikes.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1417185491.530366.jpg

I didn't do the work,and rides quite nicely.

Nearly got a 955i Daytona that had been streetfighted,but he wrote it off on way back from the Mot!.

Maybe lucky for me?,getting too old.

Hence something more sedate,but still fun is required and these new prices are very tempting.

Had a new one of those myself mine was '92..good bike at the time.3cyl triple about 80+RWHP>>not too shabby for a 750 of the era

I must be reading the posted Prices incorrectly as the XRX is listed at 535 000 thb and the XCX is listed at 575 000 thb. The base XR is 485 000, but you give up all the electronic gizmos as far as I can tell.

Could I use the extra off-road capabilities of the XCX over the XRX? Not a chance in hell. However, the extras just seem to be worth the 40K baht. Will it put a crimp in my accessorising it? Sure. But either way the bike will get fitted with panniers, a top box and LED spot/wide angle lights. I love them on my 500X and can't see not putting them on future bikes.

I just went off the prices on post from condorman; no biggie [apart from 30k aha]

Bonneville 420k

T100 black 460k

Thruxton 480k

Tiger 800 XRX 480k

Tiger 800 XCX 550k

Scrambler 635k

Street triple 420k

Street triple R 450k

My thoughts entirely. The extra cash can be spent on a pair of ally Ammo boxes for each side! 555

I'd most likely just transfer the Trekker boxes over. It would cost me ~400 USD if I ordered from revzilla + import fees. You're looking at some 1200 USD to get the official aluminium clad plastic boxes. And I'd lose some 25 litres of storage at the same time! No use in leaving the Givi boxes on the 500x when they can be used on either bike.

I just went off the prices on post from condorman; no biggie [apart from 30k aha]

Bonneville 420k

T100 black 460k

Thruxton 480k

Tiger 800 XRX 480k

Tiger 800 XCX 550k

Scrambler 635k

Street triple 420k

Street triple R 450k

There is a picture in post #133 and another in #150 that is different information than what condorman posted.. As those are from the official dealers, that's what I was basing my numbers on.

Dave, XCx is the way to go in Thailand IMO. you can go anywhere with it and you get a lot of gizmos and extras for that 45 k and most importantly you get them as stock.

21 inch wheels is not only good for off rad but also for roads especially rural ones with a lot of potholes etc.

Handling wise, i do not think so you look for 19 inch after some time not much difference on such a bike.

BMW gs800 also goes for the same price though.

and forget versys 1000 as that extra 20 hp is available in upper revs where you will not be using most of the time.

Dave, XCx is the way to go in Thailand IMO. you can go anywhere with it and you get a lot of gizmos and extras for that 45 k and most importantly you get them as stock.

21 inch wheels is not only good for off rad but also for roads especially rural ones with a lot of potholes etc.

Handling wise, i do not think so you look for 19 inch after some time not much difference on such a bike.

and forget versys 1000 as that extra 20 hp is available in upper revs where you will not be using most of the time.

Pretty much my line of thinking.

The GS800 would really sway me over if it was a boxer engine...but just being a boring parallel twin I'm looking for something different this next bike. Hell, the VFR800/Crosstourer would be nice but it's too expensive.

Pretty much my line of thinking.

The GS800 would really sway me over if it was a boxer engine...but just being a boring parallel twin I'm looking for something different this next bike. Hell, the VFR800/Crosstourer would be nice but it's too expensive.

vfr800 crosstourer is heavy too at 250 kg something and if Honda does not make ti in Thailand, we will never see it below 600 k.

African Twin should be super good to see around but if it is 1000 cc, again, it will be around 700 k thb mark i believe if they dont make it here. I think, we will see African Twin at the next Motor Expo next year - 2015 so it will take some time for it to arrive here.

agree on BMW. that twin will not be making your day. If parallel twin, better keep the cb500x!

Or, you can go to the cheaper route and if you think you will not be having adventures in the trails and woods much, get the basic 480 k THB tiger XR and keep the 100 k thb difference for fuel, maintenance and extra mods for long years. 100 k thb means fuel for around 200,000 kms!

Street Triple R at 450K is a pretty good price here for a cracking bike. If it was that price back in April I'd have bought one, not the FZ09.

The FZ09 is a great bike and I'm very happy with it, but the Striple R has many more years of development behind it. Much better stock suspension with a lot of adjustability and it also has ABS. If Yamaha don't start importing the ABS-equipped FZ09 and sell that for the current 435K asking price then I reckon they'll see FZ sales suffer.

I am well impressed to see the Street Triple R at that price.

I have owned both a Street Triple R and an MT-09 (FZ) - the current bike.

STR (2009) had a more intimate feeling about it. Owning a Triumph was a more special experience than owning the Yamaha I found (or maybe I have changed), with better handling but the paint on the Engine started flaking off resulting me having to paint it (not ideal). The fuelling required adjusting twice in the 2 years I had it as it started stalling at idle. Mid range power is good, but nothing like the Yam. The indicators also kept falling off it, the standard Triumph ones just turn brittle and snap off.

MT-09 is a real beast of a bike when comparing the power, shame Triumph don't make the STR 800cc or 850cc also as both bikes weigh (almost) the same. Suspension is well below par than what is fitted to the STR though. I am 50% tempted to fit a better rear shock, but I don't want to start spending loads on it. All I do is go to work and back on it and don't really push it so much - most of the time officer.

But that throttle is addictive, wide open at mid revs it is a missile.

Archived