Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

You seem wilfully blind.The issue is possible influence peddling by a political tycoon aligned with the forces calling for a coup.Nothing yet proved but this all needs to be investigated - the price paid isn't the main issue.If Thaksin had been the buyer you would have been quite rightly pointing out the implications.As it is your dog like devotion to the General doesn't seem to encourage independent thought.

How is paying the right price for a piece of land "influence peddling"?

We don't know whether it's the right price or an inflated one.However that's not the main point.The key issue is the charge of influence buying.The involvement of Charoen demands an investigation in the same way that one would be needed if Thaksin had been the buyer.However Prayuth refuses to answer questioins and the press is cowed - so we will never know.I agree this is a matter which could be easily cleared up and I accuse nobody of anything.But it is of a pattern.Needless to say there will always be those of a Pollyanna way of thinking who "can't see the problem".

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem wilfully blind.The issue is possible influence peddling by a political tycoon aligned with the forces calling for a coup.Nothing yet proved but this all needs to be investigated - the price paid isn't the main issue.If Thaksin had been the buyer you would have been quite rightly pointing out the implications.As it is your dog like devotion to the General doesn't seem to encourage independent thought.

We don't know whether it's the right price or an inflated one.However that's not the main point.The key issue is the charge of influence buying.The involvement of Charoen demands an investigation in the same way that one would be needed if Thaksin had been the buyer.However Prayuth refuses to answer questioins and the press is cowed - so we will never know.I agree this is a matter which could be easily cleared up and I accuse nobody of anything.But it is of a pattern.Needless to say there will always be those of a Pollyanna way of thinking who "can't see the problem".

The valuation of the land is no secret. There are hundreds of real estate agents that can give a valuation of the land. Have you seen any reports that the valuation is wrong?

Charoen is involved. So what? If the correct price was paid, what difference does it make who was involved?

If Charoen or his many companies had never or rarely bought land I would say "umm strange, let's look at that " but the facts are that he and his companies are Thailands largest land owner and landlord.

From wiki : ince its formal establishment, TCCLand's developments have been primarily focused on Thailand, and indeed the Sirivadhanabhakdi family is now the largest landlord in the country, controlling 630,000 rai of land as of June 2.

And the Prayuth purchase is not the only one in the past 2 years. Land in chonburi. Riverside land for 2.2 billion baht and 1.8 billion and the list continues!!!

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

The valuation of the land is no secret. There are hundreds of real estate agents that can give a valuation of the land. Have you seen any reports that the valuation is wrong?

Charoen is involved. So what? If the correct price was paid, what difference does it make who was involved?

Have you seen any reports that the valuation is right?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, land in the boonies in Buriram is going for 4 M/Rai these days, so a plot of land near the Capital and bordering a major highway looks way undervalued to me at 10M/Rai

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, land in the boonies in Buriram is going for 4 M/Rai these days, so a plot of land near the Capital and bordering a major highway looks way undervalued to me at 10M/Rai

I haven't seen any reports discussing whether the price paid is too high, too low or correct. Everyone knows exactly where the land is, exactly how many rai, exactly how much was paid. If it WAS too high or too low, there would be reports discussing that. That leads me to believe that the price is basically correct.

It doesn't matter how much a rai of land is in Buriram. It doesn't really matter how much a rai of land is somewhere else in Bangkok. What matters is the valuation of THIS piece of land. Unless you know all the details and variables of two pieces of land, it's very difficult to make a comparison to say one is correct or not.

If Charoen or his many companies had never or rarely bought land I would say "umm strange, let's look at that " but the facts are that he and his companies are Thailands largest land owner and landlord.

From wiki : ince its formal establishment, TCCLand's developments have been primarily focused on Thailand, and indeed the Sirivadhanabhakdi family is now the largest landlord in the country, controlling 630,000 rai of land as of June 2.

And the Prayuth purchase is not the only one in the past 2 years. Land in chonburi. Riverside land for 2.2 billion baht and 1.8 billion and the list continues!!!

I take your point about Charoen's land purchases.Nevertheless when a right wing tycoon aligned with anti democratic forces arranges a transaction that will personally benefit the military commander of the time, there are legitimate questions to be asked.However these questions are not allowed to be asked openly.In a democracy the press would certainly investigate.But here especially among the cheerleaders there seems to be a view that the matter is not worth discussing.

I take your point about Charoen's land purchases.Nevertheless when a right wing tycoon aligned with anti democratic forces arranges a transaction that will personally benefit the military commander of the time, there are legitimate questions to be asked.However these questions are not allowed to be asked openly.In a democracy the press would certainly investigate.But here especially among the cheerleaders there seems to be a view that the matter is not worth discussing.

What questions need to be asked that haven't already been answered?

What details aren't known?

What difference does it make who bought the land if the price was right?

1.Was this an attempt by a right wing tycoon to buy influence with a the military commander?

2.Was the purchase in line with the commercial price and did it fall within the group's acquisition strategy?

3.It makes a huge difference.See 1

Comment: As stated no doubt at tedious length all suspicions could be cleared up.However effectively discussion of the matter has been closed down.This would not be the case in a democracy with a free and energetic press.

I haven't seen any reports discussing whether the price paid is too high, too low or correct. Everyone knows exactly where the land is, exactly how many rai, exactly how much was paid. If it WAS too high or too low, there would be reports discussing that. That leads me to believe that the price is basically correct.

It doesn't matter how much a rai of land is in Buriram. It doesn't really matter how much a rai of land is somewhere else in Bangkok. What matters is the valuation of THIS piece of land. Unless you know all the details and variables of two pieces of land, it's very difficult to make a comparison to say one is correct or not.

Did you notice that lately there is a single guy who determines what is openly discussed in Thailand, and what is not, and that this guy turns out to be by coincidence the same guy who is the topic of this thread. smile.png

1.Was this an attempt by a right wing tycoon to buy influence with a the military commander?

2.Was the purchase in line with the commercial price and did it fall within the group's acquisition strategy?

Comment: As stated no doubt at tedious length all suspicions could be cleared up.However effectively discussion of the matter has been closed down.This would not be the case in a democracy with a free and energetic press.

How is buying land at a correctly valued price "an attempt by a right wing tycoon to buy influence with a the military commander"?

The valuation of the land would be no secret. Ask any of the major real estate agents. If price isn't in line with the valuation, then that is an issue that needs explanation. But no one has suggested a different valuation to the price paid.

Ask Charoen if the purchase fell within the group's acquisition strategy. What would the general know or care about that?

What do you honestly know much about the Koch brothers transactions in the USA (the land of the free)

Did you notice that lately there is a single guy who determines what is openly discussed in Thailand, and what is not, and that this guy turns out to be by coincidence the same guy who is the topic of this thread. smile.png

Yet, the purchase of the land is being openly discussed. It's just not being discussed with the general.

How is buying land at a correctly valued price "an attempt by a right wing tycoon to buy influence with a the military commander"?

The valuation of the land would be no secret. Ask any of the major real estate agents. If price isn't in line with the valuation, then that is an issue that needs explanation. But no one has suggested a different valuation to the price paid.

Ask Charoen if the purchase fell within the group's acquisition strategy. What would the general know or care about that?

1.Dont be naive.

2.So you agree more questions should be asked.That's all I'm suggesting.

3.He wouldn't know anything I agree but it's a relevant issue that needs clarification.

What do you honestly know much about the Koch brothers transactions in the USA (the land of the free)

It's a very fair analogy - right wing tycoons ready to spend money on undermining democracy for the benefit of a small unelected elite.But in the US there is a free press which asks penetrating questions of the Koch Brothers transaction and their motives/political links.We might like to know more but the area is not pronounced to be off limits for discussion and investigation as is the case in Thailand.

1.Dont be naive.

3.He wouldn't know anything I agree but it's a relevant issue that needs clarification.

No. Please explain to me. How is a major property developer buying a property at a correctly valued price buying influence?

I am saying more questions should be asked IF the price is not right. Have you seen any suggestions of what the land SHOULD be valued at?

It's an issue that needs clarification, but it's not a issue that the general should be answering.

1.Dont be naive.

No. Please explain to me. How is a major property developer buying a property at a correctly valued price buying influence?

I am saying more questions should be asked IF the price is not right. Have you seen any suggestions of what the land SHOULD be valued at?

It's an issue that needs clarification, but it's not a issue that the general should be answering.

Please refrain from using the term correct valued property since, according to your own commitments, there are yet no credible reports that the property is correct valued or not.

And I think I made clear already why those reports are absent and will be for the foreseeable future

Yet, the purchase of the land is being openly discussed. It's just not being discussed with the general.

With everything sensitive to the case being removed within seconds by a team of moderatorssmile.png

With everything sensitive to the case being removed within seconds by a team of moderatorssmile.png

Wow.. your really paranoid!

• Like 1

1.Dont be naive.

What he should be explaining is what happenned to the money that was paid for the land.

Please refrain from using the term correct valued property since, according to your own commitments, there are yet no credible reports that the property is correct valued or not.

And I think I made clear already why those reports are absent and will be for the foreseeable future

Unless someone can show that it's incorrect, or at least a valid comparison to show that it might not be correct, I can only make the assumption that it is correct.

1.Dont be naive.

What he should be explaining is what happenned to the money that was paid for the land.

Maybe they invested in some Bangkok manifestations?

1.Dont be naive.

Yes. If the numbers don't add up, that should be explained.

1.Dont be naive.

Must have needed it for something since the middle of last year as a very large chunk of it was missing by the time he did his asset declaration a few weeks back.

1.Dont be naive.

1.The question has already been answered.You in any event have come up with a prescriptive definition avoiding reference to Charoen's links to the anti democracy movement.If Thaksin had hypothetically brought property from Abhisit's father you would have been quick enough to grasp the significance.

2.We seem to be agreed there are further questions to be asked.I have no idea what the property is worth but this isn't the main issue.

3.I agree this point and have said so before.But clarification is needed.

I'm quite prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.His reputation rests on other matters.I do t think this particular issue will ever be cleared up.In a democracy the effort would be made but not here.

1.Dont be naive.

Must have needed it for something since the middle of last year as a very large chunk of it was missing by the time he did his asset declaration a few weeks back.

Really!! What are your sources. The isra news agency did intensive investigations and stated it was above board!

1.Dont be naive.

Really!! What are your sources. The isra news agency did intensive investigations and stated it was above board!

Actually The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NACC-unveils-Cabinet-members-assets-30246748.html

"As per the declaration, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has net assets worth Bt128 million, including 12 watches and nine guns, while his family's combined assets, including those of his father, brother and children, is Bt466 million. "

Edited by Orac
  • Like 1

1.Dont be naive.

Actually The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NACC-unveils-Cabinet-members-assets-30246748.html

"As per the declaration, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has net assets worth Bt128 million, including 12 watches and nine guns, while his family's combined assets, including those of his father, brother and children, is Bt466 million. "

466 + 128 = 594

Who knows how they reported it. I do know the isra reporting seems to be the most investigative!

As a prime minister it does matter what your family is doing. Wasn't this not the biggest reason why YL was overthrown for. (Because of her brother)..

Anyway it sounds quite strange..and this all after the inheritance tax tax is on the way. And a company which has been formed and immediately took over the land.

No "what her family was doing" wasn't the biggest reason for which YL was overthrown. She was overthrown because of what she and her government was doing.

If a politician was legally accountable for what their relatives were doing, we would have seen Chalerm, Suthep, Yinglak (just to name a few) in prison long ago.

However - in the interests of fairness, especially given we're under Martial Law in order to restrict civilian freedoms and empower the government, I think questions like this should be in the public eye. Otherwise, what's the point in having Martial Law?