webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Students detained protesting PM's NE visit

19-11-2557-12-40-21-wpcf_728x411.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- Five Khon Kaen university were detained for questioning when they protested Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha as he was presiding over a ceremony to send water trucks out to ease water shortage problem at the Khon Kaen city hall.

Gen Prayut kicked off his Northeast tour today to escalate government projects and inspect drought situation and water shortage problems.

Khon Kaen is his first stop, and the next is Kalasin.

A group of students raised their hands and three fingers in defiance while Gen Prayut was presiding over the gathering of local officials to witness the sending of caravan of water trucks to droughts stricken areas.

Raising three fingers is the symbol of protest adopted from the popular book and movie series The Hunger Games.

The military junta is taking the issue seriously if they raised in groups.

But Gen Prayut told officials at the city hall that he was not angry with the students as it was an expression of thought.

He said he was determined to work and resolve the trouble of the people and would like that their expression would not obstruct government work.

He also met governors of 20 northeaster provinces late today to listen to their problems, particularly drought which is expected to be severe this year.

From Khon Kaen he will inspect drought situation in Kalasin this afternoon, and return to Bangkok this evening,

Earlier in the morning leaflets protesting the prime ministers were also strewn around the city hall and major toads in the town.

The leaflet reads “Esarn won’t welcome dictator.”

All the leaflets were quickly collected by police and soldiers. They were trying to hunt for the people responsible for distributing the leaflets.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/students-detained-protesting-pms-ne-visit

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-19

A post containing veiled speculative comments has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

"Before continuing his speech, Prayut asked the audience, "is there anybody else wanting to protest?"

Well at least he's developing a sense of humour. A slightly sinister one, but nonetheless....

Has a certain Dr. Evil feeling to it. The comic evil genius.

1bazillion baht wahhahahahahaha

Thailand's real Dr.Evil resides in Dubai.

• Like 1

Snig27 post # 9

Indeed - you have to wonder what will happen to these poor kids. How dare they think for themselves.

(Waiting for some idiot to mention Thaksin now, as in "what about under Thaksin?")

Edit: I see I was too late.

An interesting comment there Snig27. You yourself posted the first ''Thaksin '' comment.

(Waiting for some idiot to mention Thaksin now, as in "what about under Thaksin?")

Indeed - you have to wonder what will happen to these poor kids. How dare they think for themselves.

Think before you post and do not judge yourself so harshly whistling.gif

Well seeing as the genie is already out of the bottle.

'What about under Thaksin'?.... They would probably find themselves in prison for the foreseeable.

• Like 2

Prayut seemed unperturbed, saying, "it's okay, they did not understand,"

Hmmm, I wonder who it really is that does not understand? Prayut seems very out of touch with reality.

He doesn't understand the people or politics. He was a soldier use to giving orders and demanding people love, adore and worship him. He has no idea that not all Thai citizens are in the army. He is using force to make the average citizen worship him and if he is not careful the people will blow up in his face. You can't force someone to love and worship you or pray at and kiss your feet.
  • Like 1

I guess at least some of the Thai people are not happy.

About 3,8% according to the latest poll wasn't it ? Must be that we have all seen them then.

No problem round up that 3.8% and push them through the attitude adjustment factory and all will be praying and worshiping at dear leaders feet. We will then have photos of him in every home and large billboards of him across the country. The guy is going to be bigger than budha himself once he is finnished reforming the people. Edited by chooka

chooka post # 15

opinions are not appreciated under the current regime and people are being programed to have one thought only and that is for the admiration of dear leader.

Opinions were not appreciated under the past regimes and people were being programmed to have one thought only and that is for the admiration of the then puppet master dear leader and his clan and their ilk.

Their opinions were respected at the voters box! No one in Dubai stopped the Thai public from expressing this right.

• Like 1

Snig27 post # 9

Edit: I see I was too late.

An interesting comment there Snig27. You yourself posted the first ''Thaksin '' comment.

Think before you post and do not judge yourself so harshly whistling.gif

Er no he didn't.He responded to a post alluding to similar incidents in the 12 years before the coup - though I cannot think of any.

I think that a competition should be established in which the coup cheerleaders can compete among themselves.For every unjust, ill conceived or ludicrous act of the current government the aim will be to come up with an irrelevant piece of "whataboutery" preferably invoking or alluding to Thaksin.

• Like 1

If Prayuth is so eager to see Thailand return to a democratic process then why not let these youngsters have their say?

In my opinion, these students should be encouraged to voice their opinions, providing they do so in a legal and peaceful manner. That's all part of a true democatractic process, right?

Merely dismissing them as saying they 'do not understand' is not only derogatory but is also nothing short of asinine in my view.

A leader of a country should lead, not just dismiss those beneath him who may have an opinion different from his own.

That's the same MO of some kind of posters here on TVF... lol

Edited by metisdead
16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.
  • Like 1

IMHO, anybody who kept quiet while Pheu-Thai were raping the country does not have the right to protest against what has happened since.

Their moral compass must be way out off kilter if they suddenly feel the need now (or maybe someone who got the trough pulled from under his snout has been stoking them up).

• Like 1

If Prayut want's to know how the people think - there you have it. PURE and Unadulterated as it can get. Straight out of the buffalo's mouths.

If the Thai gov't wants to know what the people think the gov't will tell them, just as the Thai gov't speaks for the UK and Burma and etc...

Prayut seemed unperturbed, saying, "it's okay, they did not understand,"

I would say that they seem to have knowledge and absolute clarity.

Read enough

Clarity of what?

I believe it was a pretty remarkable thing that a collage would only have 5 dissidents. History tells us that collages traditionally have many dissident's. Only 5 students out of a whole college a remarkably low figure. Shows massive support for the coup.

I am not a fan of Thai polls but this was not a poll.

It how ever was in keeping with the results of the polls showing strong support for the coup.

I can understand many being against the coop as the coup have publically announced and actual made moves against corruption with the removal of certain people from key places. The beginning of a long and difficult process.

I understand the outrage of some over this movement as it is going to cut into the way they do business and I don't give a darn if they lose every thing. Let them cry and wail their useless winging here where the Thai government takes nothing serious on Thai Visa. As long as Thai Visa has good monitors to stop any libelous postings they could care less. They are so happy that the complainers have a place to vent and be anonymous. Not that they have to be anonymous but they sure don't want the world to see them and question why and what have they been doing.

Clear enough.

PM asserts readiness to visit all areas in country, listen to criticism
By Digital Content

14163808574977-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 19 -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha visited Khon Kaen and Kalasin provinces to follow up measures to address drought problem and inspect the operations of Damrongtham centres, the country's local complaint centres.

Gen Prayut said he is open to criticism but if his government performs well, opponents should not blame it.

While leaving Bangkok for Khon Kaen, Gen Prayut said he would listen to local peoples' problems and needs especially in relation to water management.

He would also inspect job creation for farmers. He asked local people not to create any conditions of conflict which, he said, would otherwise block solutions.

"Severe drought is expected next year so there must be plans to cope with it and jobs must be created for farmers to earn income," Gen Prayut said.

Responding to leaflets which state that the Northeast does not welcome dictatorship, Gen Prayut said there were people with different [political] stances and they should express [their] opinions politely.

"I would like people to look at the facts and see if I am as accused. If I am so, I will be ready to improve. I consider criticism as a boost for my work morale. If my trip does not make any good outcome, criticism will be welcomed but if it creates good results, do not put any blame on me," the prime minister said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-19

Ahh Nicky Nicky Nicky !

See even though I clearly support the elected government which had Ying as it's leader had the yellow dems been in power and be thrown out in a coup I would still be anti coup and wanting a return to democracy .

That's why I find it shameful that people who have basked in the freedom of their democratic come on here and cheer on a military coup.

Anyway that's your right and I respect that.

I bet you would be singing a different tune if it had been an informed and understanding electorate. One that surely would have different ways of doing things than you approve of.

Prayut asked the audience, "is there anybody else wanting to protest?"

The five were taken to an army camp for registration of their protest.

A whole new lexicon is appearing;

coup - intervention

protesting against a coup - not understanding

and now we have

"registration"?........................................coffee1.gif

Eventually we could have 'special treatment'. See Schindlers list.

Some of the comments reinforce my view that "beliefs" are more powerful than "facts for the bitter and twisted.

Some say "will these people be seen again" Why? There has been no evidence of anyone going missing under the Junta. There has under the previous regime. Akeyuth, yet that is ignored because yingluck was elected.

Some say "opinions are not appreciated under the current regime" Why? There has been no evidence of the Junta not taking on board any conflicting view points and in fact have set up meetings with a broad spectrum of society to discuss the way forward. The previous regime were not tolerant of opinions. The deputy PM said "protestors are garbage" and allured to the fact that violence will befall them if they protest in Chiang Mai yet that is ignored because yingluck was elected.

Some say "I wonder if these protestors will be allowed to graduate" Why? No thought even goes into some of these replies. Just simple rhetoric that has no backing whatsoever. I wondered if the Puhket residents were going to get a conference hall when the PT deputy PM stated we will build you one when you vote for the PTP yet that is ignored because yingluck was elected.

Seems you can get away with murder and corruption as long as the PM is elected. Unfortunately with this dangerous mindset shown in some of these comments the boundaries of what you can and cannot get away with in a democracy gets so extreme it is no longer a democracy.

And that my friends is why reform is needed.

When some ask why people cannot protest. I agree. Some should be able to, but then you cannot allow some to protest and not others so it is a cross the board. I remember a visit by Ahbisit to Khon Kaen. Me and my family went to hear him speak. We never even made it to the stage. We were confronted by red shirts threatening my wife and telling us to turn around. My kids cowered as much as the farmers would have when they wanted to protest in Bangkok, but were not allowed and instead were intimidated and threatened by the hardcore 7% red shirts.

My family nor I will ever forget that. Thank god they are a minority.

Thank god Prayut is not threatening the protestors with violence or calling them garbage. That is not the road to reform.

The previous regime, is that the last coup or the one before that you are refering to? I don't recall Yingluk making anyone disappear. Before you call me a dirty lowlife red shirt I never supported the last government and think the shins are corrupt. I also think this current group are cunning and deceitful and don't trust a breath of them. Dear leader I'd feathering his nest and crushing all who apose him.
  • Like 2