D-Day: Motorcycle taxis driving on footpaths to be fined by the police

webfact

D-Day: Motorcycle taxis driving on footpaths to be fined by the police

BANGKOK, 19 November 2014 (NNT) - Motorcycle taxi drivers caught driving on sidewalks will be fined up to 1,000 baht, according to the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

Police Colonel Phusit Visetkamin, the Deputy Traffic Police Chief, has revealed that the Metropolitan Police Bureau is taking serious action against motorcycle taxi drivers driving on footpaths.

According to him, numerous complaints have been made by the public that these motorcycle taxis have on several occasions accidentally hit and injured pedestrians, and that they have been selfishly taking advantage of the law to bypass traffic.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has, therefore, organized a campaign entitled “Returning foot traffic safety to pedestrians,”under which law officers will monitor crowded sidewalks, particularly areas near BTS stations, educational institutes, and other crowded areas.

Patrol teams will be monitoring crosswalks in those areas 24 hours a day. Members of the public may file complaints against those law-breaking motorcycle taxi drivers by calling the hotline 1197.

They should also send to the police photos of these law breakers via website: www.trafficpolice.go.th.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-19 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclists to be fined for using footpaths

BANGKOK, 19 November 2014 (NNT)-Police today begin strict enforcement of the law against motorists, particularly cyclists and motorcycle drivers, riding on footpaths in a Metropolitan Police campaign to promote safety for people.

Deputy Commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Police Major General Nipon Charoenpol said riding on the footpath is among several social issues that need to be eliminated.

Teams of police officers from 88 stations across Bangkok and traffic police will be monitoring use of footpaths 24 hours particularly during the rush hours. A fine of 400-1,000 baht would be applied on spot if anyone found breaking the rule.

The footpaths around the BTS station especially in Sukhumvit, Thonglor, Phaya Thai and Pathumwan have frequently been used by cyclists and motorcycle drivers instead of the road. People are encouraged to call 1197 to report to the police of such violation.

nntlogo.jpg

Honestly, in a lot of situations there isn't much choice. The road system is built so wonky and then limited even more by restrictions like being forced to turn left only at an intersection. I would rather they work on fixing the real problems. If a guy didn't have to ride an extra few kms and make a few dangerous moves, he wouldn't ride on the sidewalk. Its slower and more annoying! (moves like, for example, going a km or so out of the way, crossing all lanes of traffic, often in a short distance to get to a u-turn point, crossing all the lanes to get back to the left again, then passing back to where you started, keep going until the next u-turn and repeat the u-turn thing== and that's if you are lucky, you might need a third u-turn if the intersection you pass is left-turn only. Even worse is when one way streets are involved). What do you think people are going to choose when the choice is between that and 200m on a footpath?

Edited by taony

From what I gathered, this only applies to motorcycle taxis. We can still ride on the sidewalks as long as you are not a taxi.

edit* nevermind, i had only read the 1st story, it applies to everyone.

Edited by lust

Crackdown on footpath riding motorcyclists

19-11-2557-15-01-16-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested more than 100 motorcyclists who rode on pedestrian’s pavements on the first day of the launch of a crackdown against the illegal practice today.

Specially marked for the crackdown are the footpaths along Paholyothin, Sukhumvit and Sathorn roads, all BTS skytrain stations and in front of schools.

Pol Maj-Gen Nipon Charoenphol, deputy commissioner of Metropolitan Police Bureau, personally led the crackdown today. He said that the crackdown under the programme known as “Safe Footpaths, Careful Riding” was in response to numerous complaints from pedestrians against riding on footpaths by motorbikers.

He also said that there were many snatching cases committed on footpaths by motorcyclists.

Violators will face a fine ranging from 400 to 1,000 baht.

Pol Maj-Gen Nipon said that in case there are no policemen around pedestrians should use their smart phones to take photos or video clips of the illegal practice and have then sent to traffic police command so that police will track down the violators.

The police crackdown effort today was hailed by many pedestrians, vendors and shopkeepers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/crackdown-footpath-riding-motorcyclists

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-19

• Like 2

Yes, they should have a major crackdown on these law-breaking motorcycle taxis as well as other motorbike drivers who ride on pavement areas. Footpaths are meant for pedestrians to walk only, not vehicles! Tough luck if there is too much traffic on the road. Learn to abide by the law instead of causing trouble to others just for your own convenience to get from point A to point B quickly.

• Like 2

Cyclists to be fined for using footpaths

BANGKOK, 19 November 2014 (NNT)-Police today begin strict enforcement of the law against motorists, particularly cyclists and motorcycle drivers, riding on footpaths in a Metropolitan Police campaign to promote safety for people.

Deputy Commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Police Major General Nipon Charoenpol said riding on the footpath is among several social issues that need to be eliminated.

Teams of police officers from 88 stations across Bangkok and traffic police will be monitoring use of footpaths 24 hours particularly during the rush hours. A fine of 400-1,000 baht would be applied on spot if anyone found breaking the rule.

The footpaths around the BTS station especially in Sukhumvit, Thonglor, Phaya Thai and Pathumwan have frequently been used by cyclists and motorcycle drivers instead of the road. People are encouraged to call 1197 to report to the police of such violation.

nntlogo.jpg

Last section on the footpath is marked as bicycle path on Sukhimvit. LOL.

Good idea to put the old ladies with bicycle laden with bags of shopping into the traffic with cars.

After dropping me off at my condo, a motorcy taxi has 2 options:

1) Go by the rules, the right way along major congested roads until legal to u-turn, or take a long detour. Arrive back at rank approx. 20min. later.

2) Go the wrong way up the road, or on the footpath. Arrive back at rank approx. 3min. later.

Solution: For dual carriage-ways, provide more regular cut-aways for motorcy only to do u-turn.

I don't agree with them riding on the footpaths.......but, in a way, I understand wai.gif

• Like 1

Honestly, in a lot of situations there isn't much choice. The road system is built so wonky and then limited even more by restrictions like being forced to turn left only at an intersection. I would rather they work on fixing the real problems. If a guy didn't have to ride an extra few kms and make a few dangerous moves, he wouldn't ride on the sidewalk. Its slower and more annoying! (moves like, for example, going a km or so out of the way, crossing all lanes of traffic, often in a short distance to get to a u-turn point, crossing all the lanes to get back to the left again, then passing back to where you started, keep going until the next u-turn and repeat the u-turn thing== and that's if you are lucky, you might need a third u-turn if the intersection you pass is left-turn only. Even worse is when one way streets are involved). What do you think people are going to choose when the choice is between that and 200m on a footpath?

So you are an advocate of ignoring law and encouraging anarchy?

There is no right for motorcycles to pass cars or other vehicles in a jam - they are road users and if there is no way past, they are stuck like all other road users.

Encouraging people to illegally - and dangerously - use 'sidewalks' or pavements is not the answer.

When I got my motorcycle license here, I was surprised to see that it was LEGAL for a motorcycle to use the sidewalk. Perhaps it is illegal in other countries, but not in Thailand.

It IS illegal for motorbikes to ride on the footpath and it is dangerous and destroys the pavement. Oh! and by the way it is also illegal for motorbikes to travel the wrong way in one way streets/soi's. Am hoping for the day when that one is enforced also.

• Like 1

In my 14 year stay in Bangkok, this is by far the worst nerve I've encountered. I recall several times having to get out of my way on a narrow sidewalk to let an obnoxious motorcycle driver pass by. I also recall not moving a couple of times on those off days and ended up either being clipped or having a short conversation with the fellow on the bike.

I travel through the construction at Daokanong everyday and I frequently see incidents of motorcycle and pedestrians while en route and it would be good to see those sidewalks cleared of those arrogant and selfish taxi motorbike drivers. Only time will tell.

BANGKOK, 19 November 2014 (NNT) - Motorcycle taxi drivers caught driving on sidewalks will be fined up to 1,000 baht, according to the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

Why not just enforce all laws according to the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 (1979), after all this has been the law for 35 years now so it is about time to start to enforce these laws:P

Absolutely.

You will notice in the article it says that motorcyclists are 'taking advantage of the law.' They are mot - they are breaking the law.

Maybe knit picking but they ought to get that right at least. I guess it means 'taking advantage of the lack of law enforcement.'