Phuket officials say tourists may bring their own umbrellas to the beach

webfact

"V/Gov Jamroen told The Phuket News,

In my opinion, if every beach had a specific area for vendors to rent out umbrellas and mattresses, it would really help them [the vendors] out.

It would be a good opportunity for them. But, I would need to talk with the Phuket Land department first, then I’ll know what the options are.”

The red herrings crowd the can...

....Jamroen should have added , "and a great opportunity for us public servants to regain our old billion baht beach ownership income stream..."

The debacle was an attempt to get the public , in lieu of being denied bringing their own conveniences , to start screaming for a return of the beach vendors , and a long wished for subsequent 'softening' of the militarys stance that would return the corrupt their payola.

Nothing more.

Ive read of the intrigues of the scribes and administrators of old China and they are models of corruption that Phukets public 'self-servants' aim to emulate.

Jamroen knows as well as we do that the Phuket Land Department has no say in the matter and that its a question for the Military Government and thank Buddha for that.

We have only yesterday read that the most corrupt entity of government in the k!ngdom is The Land Office...

This whole article is just mind boggling. Is there not any common sense in this country. Tourists go to Phuket becuse of the beach. And yes most are happy to pay for an umbrella and chair at a reasonable price such as in Pattaya (30 Bt). Taking this offer away will further decrease tourist numbers.

• Like 1

I can confirm that tourists may use their own personal umbrellas on the beach and they will not be arrested!”

I can now publicly confirm that Thailand has some strange people in it.

Now, can tourists use their own swim suits and go to the beach with their own flip-flops, or will they be arrested?

Of course you can bring umbrellas and lounge chairs to the beach, You can't operate a business on

the beach taking up space because it is not your property. Personally I would like to see one row

of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The problem is the give an inch take a mile and you end up with

lounge chairs four deep and anyone laying on the beach is harassed by chair rental vendors.

Yes, TAT-approved Quality Tourists, John and Jane, now have permission to take their personal umbrellas onto a public beach.

And with their TAT-issued wrist bracelet I.D.s, they can easily be identified when their bodies wash back up the next day.

I really don't understand what you are all bitching about. In OTHER COUNTRIES - yes there are some huh.png People take their own towels/mats/umbrellas to the beach AND THEN take them with them when they go. Chrissakes, it's not as though they cost much here! Orrrrrr, I'm sure some enterprising locals have set up rentals.

God. No pleasing some people blink.png

And in a " happiness campaign " to bring back the Tourists, not only are they allowed to take their own umbrella to the beach, but a cheese sandwich is also allowed on Sundays.

How much do you truly give a flying <removed> about the 'comfort' of bone idle/unimaginative tourists against the return to nature of the beaches. Really?

And they say the Thais have an overblown sense of 'entitlement' dry.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I solved this problem a long time ago. I don't go to Phuket, and I don't recommend Phuket as a travel destination to my friends.

Ditto for Pattaya and Jomtien. Giant eyesore.

For Pete's sake, clean up Pattaya beach while your at it. The commercial umbrellas and chairs make an eye sore of the beach. That includes Jomtien.clap2.gif

Sadly, Pattaya beach is not in the same province as that overlorded by Uncle Suthep.

And in related news, it was said that tourists on Phuket now can walk the 100m from the hotel to the Beach, they are no longer forced to take the 500 Baht tuk-tuk to their destination. Although if they take the tuk-tuk they have to pay extra for the umbrella.

However food and snacks are not allowed on the beaches as they create pollution, it will be better for the tourists to buy the 500 Baht Pad-Thai at the beach and let the vendors be responsible for the pollution instead.

Also please note if any excavation on the Beach is going to be done by any family members, they will need a work Permit, which can be obtained after applying for a non-immigrant B visa.

Also Because of the dangerous Burmese all tourists must be clad from top to toe, with no body parts exposed in between.

It is not allowed to bring your own furniture onto the beaches such as deck-chairs, as this constitutes permanent settlement and requires a residence permit, and anyhow this is Public land and you cannot reside there.

• Like 1

This whole article is just mind boggling. Is there not any common sense in this country. Tourists go to Phuket becuse of the beach. And yes most are happy to pay for an umbrella and chair at a reasonable price such as in Pattaya (30 Bt). Taking this offer away will further decrease tourist numbers.

Um ... a deckchair on the Phuket west coast costs 100 baht most of the year , and 200 in peak!

And do you honestly think Pattaya has nice beaches???

I really don't understand what you are all bitching about. In OTHER COUNTRIES - yes there are some huh.png People take their own towels/mats/umbrellas to the beach AND THEN take them with them when they go. Chrissakes, it's not as though they cost much here! Orrrrrr, I'm sure some enterprising locals have set up rentals.

In those countries, you don't have to fight to park your car nearby.

In those countries, you don't have to fight to park your car nearby.

Every time I go to the beach with the family, I can park the car within 50 meters of that beach.

Not many places in the world where that is possible.