Indian tourist arrested following Jet Ski Crash on Pattaya Beach

webfact

Indian arrested following Jet Ski Crash on Pattaya Beach

jet-ski-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 30 year old Indian Tourist was arrested on Wednesday evening after he is alleged to have lost control of his rented Jet Ski which left the water at high speed and hit two other foreign tourists sitting on deckchairs on the Beach.

A Middle-Eastern man and a 55 year old American sustained injuries, the unidentified Middle-Easterner was seriously injured and suffered suspected neck and spinal injuries and was rushed to Hospital. His current condition is unknown.

The Jet Ski Driver, Mr. Anurag, was taken to Pattaya Police Station for questioning and Police were told that he had rented the Jet Ski for 30 minutes. He was seen to enter a swimmers zone, on Pattaya Beach opposite Soi 13/4 and appeared to have lost control of the Jet Ski which then went onto the sand and hit the two beachgoers.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/155738/indian-arrested-following-jet-ski-crash-on-pattaya-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-11-20

I once seen these three Indians who rented jet skies and they started out going fast weaving between each other near shore where people were swimming. The jet skies owners were waving at them to move away from that area, and sure enough two of the jet skies collide. The police came and you could see tensions were high between the jet skies owns and the three Indians. They were taken away in handcuffs to the police station.

Do you really expect Indian tourists to be licensed?

I guess they will be as licensed as any other nationality of tourist.

To operate one of these jet skis you are meant to have a boating license. Everything about a foreign tourist renting these is utterly illegal and probably completely uninsurable.

Other than that, they are great.

I thought jet ski's had deadman switches...in case you came off it would cut the ignition...I used to race boats and it is compulsory to have them connected to your buoyancy vest

Where does it say he came off the jet ski?

Why arrest the fella? Its the people who control the jet skis who should be assuring safety . If they do that then a tourist should show he has passed a competency for Jet skis before they are allowed to take one out. There is no dangerous driving or I believe drink driving of a jetski legislation. So what are they arresting him for , being an idiot ?, Its completely the "Landlord" of that portion of beaches responsibility

• Like 1

Do you really expect Indian tourists to be licensed?

I guess they will be as licensed as any other nationality of tourist.

To operate one of these jet skis you are meant to have a boating license. Everything about a foreign tourist renting these is utterly illegal and probably completely uninsurable.

Other than that, they are great.

[Putting aside the fact that many Thais simply 'buy' a driver's license before getting behind the wheel of a car...]

Is the licensing requirement you're referring to under Thai law? Just curious. I've even rented jet skis in Florida (yeah, the one in the US) without being asked for any sort of license. The things are brain-dead easy to drive, and no licensing requirement is going to take the 'dumb' out of people (though I guess it means that you would have to be pretty serious about jet-skiing if you went out and got a boating license just for the privilege).

I'm blaming the Thais , this is all their liability. Dont rent it if the renter is incompetent, make the area secure, if you cannot avoid risks then they shouldn't be renting Jet skis at that location. They'll probably try an get a few quid out of the tourist , but it is 100% the responsibility of the company renting the Jetskis

• Like 1

I thought jet ski's had deadman switches...in case you came off it would cut the ignition...I used to race boats and it is compulsory to have them connected to your buoyancy vest

Years ago the steering would lock over to one side, and of course the throttle would be released and hence it would move slowly in a circle.

There might be a band connected to the ignition key and drivers wrist that may do what you say.

I haven't used one for so long and doubt I ever will again.

The large floating buoys that previously isolated the swimmers zones have been adjusted to have large spaces, to stop people walking all the way round. Perhaps thoughtless no spend modifications will be replaced with a better idea.

No insurance and no culpability for the owners I'll bet.

Edited by jacko45k

At last some positive action. The poor downtrodden jet ski operators have long been victim to untrained renters from the sub-continent. Scamming them into believing they operate jet skis on the Ganges all the time. I'm sure the instructions would have been clearly given and once again ignored. NOT!!!

most people would assume that sitting on a beach in a deck chair is a reasonably safe thing to do

but is appears not to be the case on Pattaya beach, maybe if the beaches were cleared of all the vendors and their mostly empty chairs taking up space then people wouldn't be sitting right on the waters edge

There have been previous incidents like this in Pattaya caused by jetskis - I say ban them and clear the beaches completely of all vendors as they have done in phuket

• Like 2

My TGF was sitting on the beach when it happened in a deck chair just behind where the jet ski hit the ME tourist.

Apparently the jet ski was going full throttle and hit the guy who had just arrived and gone in for a swim.

It was in the fenced off area as well.

Whilst the Indian guy seems like an idiot I still blame the Thais for allowing these things on the beach at all.

The Australians have pretty much banned these machines anywhere there are swimmers and/or other recreational beach or shore activities are situated..........

A licence is required of course.....

These machines are very powerful......and in the hands of unexperienced drivers, (and I've never seen a good Indian driver....F1 excepted) are an accident waiting to happen...as this story shows........

But...it'll take a few more tourist accidents...maybe a couple of fatalities and there may be a chance of them moving on........but....they do afford the authorities good extra income!

Why arrest the fella? Its the people who control the jet skis who should be assuring safety . If they do that then a tourist should show he has passed a competency for Jet skis before they are allowed to take one out. There is no dangerous driving or I believe drink driving of a jetski legislation. So what are they arresting him for , being an idiot ?, Its completely the "Landlord" of that portion of beaches responsibility

moronic logic.

You would need full throttle and a run up to get 1 of those heavy skis up a beach and into a chair. Let go the throttle and they slow pretty fast so to do what he did can only be the actions of a moron....the same you see on youtube driving cars through shop windows when they panic and nail the throttle instead of the brakes etc....