PM faces anti-coup gesture in his first Isaan visit

webfact

Another very sad day for Thailand with people being unable to peacefully protest. What do you expect in a country where democracy is merely a word and that can be displaced with a military coup whenever those in power feel that power slipping away.

I was certainly no fan of Thaskin but for a democracy to succeed in Thailand requires education so that the people truly understand what democracy is and who to achieve it.

I wonder if the General will ever power for power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What else can you do in thailand...

Sweet s0d all. TVF put up baiting posts for 'clickbait', and then remove responses under the guise of 'we are under martial law'.

I've no doubt this post will also be removed. So why not just stick to something safe. Like bar girls and the like?

Hypocrites.

• Like 1

Seems that as a result of this the opening of Thursday's new Hunger Games film has been banned in Thailand. I know nothing about the film or the show - does it promote unrest? Is it anti junta?

Hunger Games is a fictional story set in a society ruled from a capital city by dictatorial oligarchs which keep their position by use of a military-like police force. The rest of the country is divided up into districts and exist solely to do work to benefit the oligarchs in the capital and are themselves very poor. One of the signs the people from the districts use to signify protest is a three-fingered salute.

Those that oppose the junta could certainly draw some parallels with the movie, but the movie of course is an exaggerated caricature of a despotic oligarchy.

Best way to counter the three finger salute by the people that have no understanding of all the principles of democracy is to do the same salute yourself.

Each finger represents 1/ Reform 2/ Reconciliation 3/ Return to democracy. The most popular PM in the last decade would be wise to do this salute at every speech.

Well done on the students expressing their views even though it is a minority view though. (unless some think only 8 people live in Khon Kaen and 5 makes a majority!!) Even more telling was they did not fear the Junta. Why would they? Only the narrative of the doom and gloomers try to feed that to the gullible. As predicted the students were released and will fight the case in court. Well done. Nothing like North Korea or the Thai regimes previously who just made their opponents "disappear"

Prayut's actions show he is the voice of the majority as well and that he cares for all the Thai citizens (not just the people in and below Bangkok) by visiting Isaan to inspect the drought handling measures in place. One can be assured his nugget of information and input will not simply be "be more efficient with water", but then he never went to Kentucky State University.

Well done Prayut and don't fear the 7%ers. The other 93% did not appreciate having democracy ripped from them 2 seconds after the 2011 election and the protests in Khon Kaen only highlight further that the majority are on your side. (unless some will disregard that majority by making excuses because it does not suit their agenda and narrative)

So, so, so predictable..

post-140765-0-22450500-1416460359_thumb.

Edited by djjamie

'Meanwhile, Army chief General Udomdej Sitabutr, who is also deputy defence minister, said he thought it was inappropriate to protest against the premier when he was visiting locals out of care.'

The poor dear!

'The five men were also told to report to the authorities this afternoon, along with their parents, to possibly "adjust their attitude".'

An opinion is not an attitude. They were expressing an opinion, can't see why they need adjustment?

• Like 1

The three fingers salute? much better than the one finger salute any time...

Ahh well, do these children understand the alternative: Benevolent military rule or a Thaksin dictatorship? I know which I'd choose.

Sorry - can you please explain why it has to be one or the other?

• Like 1

Ahh well, do these children understand the alternative: Benevolent military rule or a Thaksin dictatorship? I know which I'd choose.

And of course you are Thai with a right to vote ?

I am a citizen of the world. I have always been a human rights activist and still am. I'd rather have a benevolent dictatorship than a would-be dictator that steals votes from people and who twists democracy for his own ends. Don't forget that the people in Cambodia and Iraq had the right to vote: They had one choice. So 'the right to vote' in your parlance is a red herring. People in Thailand have a right to a proper democracy, something sadly that they will never have (not in our lifetimes anyway).

Sorry - can you please explain why it has to be one or the other?

Because that's where we are at the moment.

Best way to counter the three finger salute by the people that have no understanding of all the principles of democracy is to do the same salute yourself.

Each finger represents 1/ Reform 2/ Reconciliation 3/ Return to democracy. The most popular PM in the last decade would be wise to do this salute at every speech.

Well done on the students expressing their views even though it is a minority view though. (unless some think only 8 people live in Khon Kaen and 5 makes a majority!!) Even more telling was they did not fear the Junta. Why would they? Only the narrative of the doom and gloomers try to feed that to the gullible. As predicted the students were released and will fight the case in court. Well done. Nothing like North Korea or the Thai regimes previously who just made their opponents "disappear"

Prayut's actions show he is the voice of the majority as well and that he cares for all the Thai citizens (not just the people in and below Bangkok) by visiting Isaan to inspect the drought handling measures in place. One can be assured his nugget of information and input will not simply be "be more efficient with water", but then he never went to Kentucky State University.

Well done Prayut and don't fear the 7%ers. The other 93% did not appreciate having democracy ripped from them 2 seconds after the 2011 election and the protests in Khon Kaen only highlight further that the majority are on your side. (unless some will disregard that majority by making excuses because it does not suit their agenda and narrative)

So, so, so predictable..

Forum leaders, please let us have a dislike button, only need to select it on the forum interface.

Dislike button is a great idea

Ahh yes, and you being the all knowing falang expert on Thai politics has the right to question these "childrens" right to protest against something they don't believe in, in the country they were born and raised. You of course would have full Thai citizenship and not just living here on a visa with absolutely no rights at all under Thai rule, government or otherwise? The TVF expert brigade never fail to amaze

I am a citizen of the world. I have always been a human rights activist and still am. I'd rather have a benevolent dictatorship than a would-be dictator that steals votes from people and who twists democracy for his own ends. Don't forget that the people in Cambodia and Iraq had the right to vote: They had one choice. So 'the right to vote' in your parlance is a red herring. People in Thailand have a right to a proper democracy, something sadly that they will never have (not in our lifetimes anyway).

Christ I bet they appreciated your input blink.png

• Like 1

Hunter s Thompson wrote the following when he visited Peru in 1969 following their coup the previous year:

"If there is one profound reality in Peruvian politics it is the fact that this country has absolutely no democratic tradition, and any attempt to introduce one is going to meet violent opposition. The people who need democracy don’t even know what the word means."

By changing the appropriate proper nouns of places and the protagonists we can see that what Thailand is experiencing is the norm for a nation trying to understand the idea of democracy. Dr. Thompson's full work can be viewed by clicking the link below.

http://fearandloathinginthailand.wordpress.com/

From that which I've seen and heard, I believe you and many other posters here seriously underestimate the cognition of many Thais here. Recent history has taught them the ramifications of standing up to men with guns.

The General is playing his cards wrong, he should just ignore those folks and remove them from the site, not arrest them and have an "attitude adjustment". He should be playing the good cop role and ignore criticisms and keep his cool. Down his ratings go, really don't understand the mindset of these politicians. How hard is it to act like Yingluck in public?

The General is playing his cards wrong, he should just ignore those folks and remove them from the site, not arrest them and have an "attitude adjustment". He should be playing the good cop role and ignore criticisms and keep his cool. Down his ratings go, really don't understand the mindset of these politicians. How hard is it to act like Yingluck in public?

Umm ... he's not a politician.

Seems the 5 have been released without charge. Maybe the good general and his mates got a sniff of what was brewing on campuses across the country this morning and decided not to poke the students at the minute. Maybe it could be a change of approach along the lines of what you are proposing Mike.

It's also been suggested that the generals security was a tad lax during his visit to Khon Kaen. Rumour has it that there were at least a dozen spottings during the day where a person with ill-intent could have caused chaos. Maybe the general and his security staff knew that the peace loving citizens of his host city would only wish him the best of health.

Umm ... he's not a politician.

Well you better tell him to get the <deleted> out of parliament & the PMs chair then!

I thought martial law meant no gatherings of more than 5? There were 5 of them.

What Prayuth really means by martial law is that not a single person may criticise me or challenge me. If you do, you'll be locked up! facepalm.gifbah.gif

If you read the rules that they endorsed under this martial law then you can see that protesting against the junta is forbidden under this martial law...

Try this stunt in any other country, for example have 5 protesters run up to the stage where Barack Obama is holding a speech and count how many of them are shot by secret service as potential threats.

Anyone trying to pull this kind of stunt in the US would never got anywhere near Obama. Just goes to show the competency level of the Thai security services. If the army can't guarantee the security of their junta leader, what hope is there for them running the country?

How wrong you are! The Head of the US Secret Service had to resign a few months ago because and I copy the news report:

'Yesterday it emerged that her agents had allowed the armed private security guard with convictions for assault to share a lift with Mr Obama at an appearance in Atlanta just three days previous to the resignation'.

Plus a couple of months ago, a 'jogger' in London was able to get up close to the Prime Minister, David Cameron, in a Northern City of the UK. Just shows were all human and can make mistakes.

I thought martial law meant no gatherings of more than 5? There were 5 of them.

What Prayuth really means by martial law is that not a single person may criticise me or challenge me. If you do, you'll be locked up! facepalm.gifbah.gif

If you read the rules that they endorsed under this martial law then you can see that protesting against the junta is forbidden under this martial law...

Try this stunt in any other country, for example have 5 protesters run up to the stage where Barack Obama is holding a speech and count how many of them are shot by secret service as potential threats.

Anyone trying to pull this kind of stunt in the US would never got anywhere near Obama. Just goes to show the competency level of the Thai security services. If the army can't guarantee the security of their junta leader, what hope is there for them running the country?

How wrong you are! The Head of the US Secret Service had to resign a few months ago because and I copy the news report:

'Yesterday it emerged that her agents had allowed the armed private security guard with convictions for assault to share a lift with Mr Obama at an appearance in Atlanta just three days previous to the resignation'.

Plus a couple of months ago, a 'jogger' in London was able to get up close to the Prime Minister, David Cameron, in a Northern City of the UK. Just shows were all human and can make mistakes.

http://0.tqn.com/y/politicalhumor/1/S/Y/W/2/bush-flying-shoe.gif - George Bush Jnr having a pair of shoes thrown at him there. The most powerful man in the world at the time...

I am reading an article on the Bangkok post that a student was arrested on the month after the coup for sitting in front of Siam Paragon eating a sandwich and reading a copy of 1984. The irony there is unreal.

The five men were also told to report to the authorities this afternoon, along with their parents, to possibly "adjust their attitude". cheesy.gif

&lt;deleted&gt;? Are Mommy and Daddy to be scolded for raising children who speak their minds? Why are the parents along? When is a Thai considered an adult?

These are Law students at the University......

"I am a citizen of the world." Not a good start. Windbaggy. There are seven billion of us who can say this. Yingluk Shinawat is the current legitimate Prime Minister of Thailand. The buffoon who anoints himself as PM can "restore democracy" to Thailand by returning Government House to Yingluk. How about tomorrow, General Cretino?

and "benevolent dictator"? Jeez Louise, this is grotesque. the word is "fascist".

And of course you are Thai with a right to vote ?

"I am a citizen of the world." Not a good start. Windbaggy. There are seven billion of us who can say this. Yingluk Shinawat is the current legitimate Prime Minister of Thailand. The buffoon who anoints himself as PM can "restore democracy" to Thailand by returning Government House to Yingluk. How about tomorrow, General Cretino?

and "benevolent dictator"? Jeez Louise, this is grotesque. the word is "fascist".

No she's not. She dissolved parliament 12 months ago. For her to be the current PM she has to be re-elected.

• Like 1