Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe someone can help me with a situation I am in.

I picked up my new British passport. I am applying for a new extension of stay next Friday. Should I go there first with my old passport to get the visa changed then use my new passport for the visa purposes or do you think it'll be ok just going next Friday with both passports?

A very confused post !

Please explain what "visa" you are wanting changed to the new passport .

Hint !

Visas are never moved to new passport

Small detail:

Yes, visas are never transferred, however notes will be made in the new passport as regards the prior extant visa type/entry date that the first in a sequence of extensions was granted against along with the current valid extension from the old passport.

That's what I thought, and why I mentioned in my post visa and extension of stay.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe someone can help me with a situation I am in.

I picked up my new British passport. I am applying for a new extension of stay next Friday. Should I go there first with my old passport to get the visa changed then use my new passport for the visa purposes or do you think it'll be ok just going next Friday with both passports?

A very confused post !

Hint !

Small detail:

Yes, visas are never transferred, however notes will be made in the new passport as regards the prior extant visa type/entry date that the first in a sequence of extensions was granted against along with the current valid extension from the old passport.

That's what I thought, and why I mentioned in my post visa and extension of stay.

So after that is done you don't need to carry your old PP to immigration or other places..?

n help me with a situation I am in.

A very confused post !

Hint !

Small detail:

So after that is done you don't need to carry your old PP to immigration or other places..?

Absolutely. The only concern I had was that all the paperwork will have my old passport number, which is actually invalid already.

The stamp they will do in your new passport that has the visa info and etc on it will have your old passport number on it also.

Your old passport can be retired after you transfer your stamps unless you need it to change passport numbers at banks and etc.

I changed my driving licence so my driver id matched my new passport number. Read about horror stories where insurance companies look for any reason not to pay out in the event of a claim. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I transferred stamps to new passport at Jomtien--had to leave old and new and return next day--not easy to get both jobs done in one go

.Did you have to pay?

Transfer of relevant stamps from an old to a new passport should be a no charge service.

Thanks - you should be a moderator!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

As the British summer holiday season is fast approaching,anyone whose passport needs to be renewed this year might want to take note of the many posts on this thread that encountered many problems renewing their passport after the chaos of last summer.

GET A MOVE ON

Posted 2014-03-26 08:51:28

LETTER TO BRITISH COMMUNITY

CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THAILAND

Her Majestys Passport Office is making important changes to the way it delivers British passports overseas. The goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible. In order to do that, on 10 December 2013, responsibility for handling passport applications in Thailand passed from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Her Majestys Passport Office.

Following on from this, from 26 March 2014, British nationals in Thailand will submit passport applications, in person by appointment only, to the UK Visa Application Centre. All the information needed to complete the passport application process, including address and contact details for the UK Visa Application Centre, will be available on GOV.UK at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I know that this change will seem inconvenient, but the new measures being put in place support the wider public protection, helping to ensure that the risks of fraud and identity theft are minimised for those living and working overseas.

If you need to travel urgently but your passport is not available, you should still contact the nearest Consular Assistance team at the British Embassy Bangkok <deleted> In certain circumstances Consular staff may be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document but this is not a substitute for a full UK passport. So the best course of action is to apply as early as possible, and to make sure that you follow the new guidelines.

Please note that our Consular staff will not be able to take calls about individual passport applications and they cannot countersign passport applications. If you cannot find the information needed on GOV.UK you should contact the Passport Adviceline on +<deleted> (operates from 8am-8pm UK time) or e-mail: <deleted>

• Like 1

^ Yes, but if they all do it all in a timely manner as you correctly suggest, then there won't be any whiners to keep this thread chugging along. Based on the sheer volume of complaints last year, I would reckon on at least a dozen 'newbies' getting their nickers in a twist this year if/when it falls apart again.

Good thread bump though.

I would hope that the PO have sorted their shit out for this summer and it will be easy peasy with only possible an extra week in the turnaround time.

I would hope that the PO have sorted their shit out for this summer and it will be easy peasy with only possible an extra week in the turnaround time.

Unwise to bank on this IMHO. HMPO have already clearly demonstrated through the many reports on this thread that their brazen incompetence really knows no bounds.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Applied for a new passport at trendy today. All went quite smoothly. I did have to re-write the forms out because I used blue ink instead of black, which I found a tad anal but it wasn't a big deal.

I so hope there are no delays and I get my new passport in good time. I have almost 3 months remaining on my current visa so fingers crossed all should be OK.

Unwise to bank on this IMHO. HMPO have already clearly demonstrated through the many reports on this thread that their brazen incompetence really knows no bounds.

Before you went postal with the bold font button, I did preface with "I would hope that the..."

Not sure there's been a bad report for several months now but who's counting, eh?

But maybe you're a glass half empty sort.

Applied for a new passport at trendy today. All went quite smoothly. I did have to re-write the forms out because I used blue ink instead of black, which I found a tad anal but it wasn't a big deal.

I so hope there are no delays and I get my new passport in good time. I have almost 3 months remaining on my current visa so fingers crossed all should be OK.

Yes it's a tad anal, but it's there written there right at the top of page one of the application form also with a emboldened 'GET IT RIGHT' reminder note in the LHS Margin.............

Please check the accompanying guidance to this form carefully

.Fill in this form in CAPITAL LETTERS and black biro only

Fingers also crossed for a fast turn around; please keep this thread posted.

Before you went postal with the bold font button, I did preface with "I would hope that the..."

Not sure there's been a bad report for several months now but who's counting, eh?

And you sound like a paid PR consultant for HMPO who gazes at the world through rose-tinted glasses, matey!

As for bad reports, my comment about HMPO wasn't just about processing times. How about this thread for starters: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793040-problems-with-sons-british-passport/

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Yes it's a tad anal, but it's there written there right at the top of page one of the application form also with a emboldened 'GET IT RIGHT' reminder note in the LHS Margin.............

Does anyone know if they will reject my application form if I fill it in by computer in black ink? As we are talking anal here, I know it says using a black biro on the form, but my hand writing is attrocious (as is my spelling of atrocious) and I find filling in PDF's much faster using a computer. So has anyone been rejected for this or will I be the first next week??

Edited by MJKT2014

I transferred stamps to new passport at Jomtien--had to leave old and new and return next day--not easy to get both jobs done in one go

.Did you have to pay?

Transfer of relevant stamps from an old to a new passport should be a no charge service.

There was no charge. Very easy actually, although some junior officer at the help desk asked me to get double the amount of copies s the first lot were needed to get the transfer and then another lot were needed to get my yearly extension. I never obeyed her and sweet-talked the real officer and it wasn't required.

And you sound like a paid PR consultant for HMPO who gazes at the world through rose-tinted glasses, matey!

As for bad reports, my comment about HMPO wasn't just about processing times. How about this thread for starters: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793040-problems-with-sons-british-passport/

No OJAS, at the risk of further inflaming your curiously deep-seated bad memories of last year, I can only reiterate that I hope they have sorted out the aforementioned debacle. Based on many, many RECENT posts in THIS AND OTHER threads, an overwhelming amount of people are getting their passports back well before the 6-week time frame that the staff at VFS still utter by rote.

Personally, and I mention this at the risk of further inflaming both yourself (and soap), I managed to replace BOTH my UK passports AND my son's second UK passport all within a 97-day period over the Christmas and New Year Holidays and included couple of my SNAFU's on a couple of the applications. This period also included several business trips outside Thailand, a wonderful second honeymoon with Mrs NL, the transfer of extension stamps and a subsequent Retirement extension renewal and getting a couple of visas for the aforementioned business trips. Note that I also had time to make a few hundred posts on TV as well and most of them were cheery too.

Having said all that, I am pretty sure that yourself or others will be along with a long-winded rejoinder about their experiences not only from last year, but probably from some other bureaucratic fencing session in the UK where they lost badly.

Get over it, matey. Please.

Does anyone know if they will reject my application form if I fill it in by computer in black ink? As we are talking anal here, I know it says using a black biro on the form, but my hand writing is attrocious (as is my spelling of atrocious) and I find filling in PDF's much faster using a computer. So has anyone been rejected for this or will I be the first next week??

The advice note in the margin states 'Use Black Biro Only' I suspect that a printed form would certainlybe rejected.

Next line states 'Please write only within the white boxes'...

I think that you are going to have to fill out the form by hand, but there is nothing stopping you from getting someone else to fill it out then you just sign.

The advice note in the margin states 'Use Black Biro Only' I suspect that a printed form would certainlybe rejected.

I think that you are going to have to fill out the form by hand, but there is nothing stopping you from getting someone else to fill it out then you just sign.

When I previously applied for a passport at the Bangkok embassy when they used to do it, I filled in the old C1 type PDF form by using a PDF editor and just signed the box. All typing inside the boxes. They accepted that at time (2010) without question as it was easily legible.

No OJAS, at the risk of further inflaming your curiously deep-seated bad memories of last year, I can only reiterate that I hope they have sorted out the aforementioned debacle. Based on many, many RECENT posts in THIS AND OTHER threads, an overwhelming amount of people are getting their passports back well before the 6-week time frame that the staff at VFS still utter by rote.

Personally, and I mention this at the risk of further inflaming both yourself (and soap), I managed to replace BOTH my UK passports AND my son's second UK passport all within a 97-day period over the Christmas and New Year Holidays and included couple of my SNAFU's on a couple of the applications. This period also included several business trips outside Thailand, a wonderful second honeymoon with Mrs NL, the transfer of extension stamps and a subsequent Retirement extension renewal and getting a couple of visas for the aforementioned business trips. Note that I also had time to make a few hundred posts on TV as well and most of them were cheery too.

Having said all that, I am pretty sure that yourself or others will be along with a long-winded rejoinder about their experiences not only from last year, but probably from some other bureaucratic fencing session in the UK where they lost badly.

Get over it, matey. Please.

No long-winded response from me to your long-winded free plug for HMPO, matey, just a plain and simple cheesy.gif

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

When I previously applied for a passport at the Bangkok embassy when they used to do it, I filled in the old C1 type PDF form by using a PDF editor and just signed the box. All typing inside the boxes. They accepted that at time (2010) without question as it was easily legible.

And a mate of mine who renewed his passport a couple of years ago was able to complete his application form online, then print it off and sign it before popping it in the post to Hong Kong. Clearly a retrograde step in my view if we now have no choice other than to complete the form in our neatest handwriting - as well as making a complete mockery of the UK Govt's drive towards increased ecomms.

However anyone tries to spin it, it doesn't change the fact that in 2015 it is a pisspoor effort by all standards. The thread is about changes, so I keep my eye on it looking for exactly those. It does appear that delays are few and far between now, but it still doesn't alter the fact that there is no system in place for tracking an application and having to make two journeys from Nakhon Nowhere can be a royal pain in the arse.

Edited by watso63
  • Like 2

However anyone tries to spin it, it doesn't change the fact that in 2015 it is a pisspoor effort by all standards. The thread is about changes, so I keep my eye on it looking for exactly those. It does appear that delays are few and far between now, but it still doesn't alter the fact that there is no system in place for tracking an application and having to make two journeys from Nakhon Nowhere can be a royal pain in the arse.

soap and OJAS like this

You don't need to make the application or the collection trip personally. Last year which was 2014 you had to but not now which is 2015.

Collected my new passport today total turnover time 17 days.

soap and OJAS haven't liked this (so far)

Another happy customer in 2015!

Still a ball ache and where is the "security" if a mate collects it and pops it in the post?

It seems to me that they're more worried about 'physically cancelling' the old passport which means cutting the corners off the cover page so 'everyone' knows it shouldn't be used as a valid ID document.

• Like 2