Thailand's Rice Department receives international award from nuclear energy agency

webfact

Thailand's Rice Department receives international award from nuclear energy agency
By Digital Content

14164450083740-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 20 -- The Office of Atoms for Peace (OAP) delivered an award from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to the Rice Department for using nuclear energy to develop important rice varieties of Thailand.

OAP Secretary-General Atchara Wongsaengchan on Wednesday presented the certificate of the Achievement Award in Plant Mutation Breeding to Chanpitaya Chimpali, director-general of the Rice Department.

HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha, Thai ambassador to Austria, had earlier received the certificate on behalf of Thailand from a deputy director-general of the IAEA at the organizations 58th General Conference in September.

Rice Department Director-General Chanpitaya said many countries entered the contest. Thailand is among 12 countries receiving awards in the contest marking the 50th anniversary of cooperation between IAEA and FAO.

The country is recognized for using gamma ray technology to develop two important rice varieties from the Mali 105 rice variety that is Thailand's premier rice strain.

He named glutinous rice variety Gor Kor 6, soft, fragrant and more resistant to the brown spot disease.

Gor Kor 6 development began in 1965, was recognized in 1979 and has been popular for 35 years. Farmers grow it in many Thai paddy fields. It is in high demand in ASEAN, especially Laos and Vietnam, with exports amounting to some 200,000 tons worth US$60 million last year.

The other variety is the popular white rice Gor Kor 15, whose quality is close to that of Mali 105. Its export value is estimated at over US$400 million last year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-20

"The Office of Atoms for Peace (OAP) delivered an award from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to the Rice Department for using nuclear energy to develop important rice varieties of Thailand."

Well, if the rice isn't fit for human consumption, it can always be sold as a novelty..."Glow In The Dark" rice. Of course it would have to be packaged in lead containers, which presents additional concerns.

• Like 1

The Office of Atoms for Peace

I've passed this place many times, and still never understood what the heck it is supposed to mean.

As for using nuclear energy to develop new important varieties of rice...... can anybody really enlighten me what the heck this also means?

I've passed this place many times, and still never understood what the heck it is supposed to mean.

As for using nuclear energy to develop new important varieties of rice...... can anybody really enlighten me what the heck this also means?

Nuclear technology is used widely in agriculture.......globally, and not just here in Thailand.......usually in the developement of better resistant varieties of many crops......through mutation of species for improvement.

Google nuclear technology in agriculture....food security.....medical.....you'll be surprised in what fields it is commonly utilised......

• Like 1

Rice Department Director-General Chanpitaya said many countries entered the contest. Thailand is among 12 countries receiving awards in the contest marking the 50th anniversary of cooperation between IAEA and FAO.

Well, if you don't mind me asking, how many countries, more than 12?

• Like 1

"Mali 105 rice variety that is Thailand's premier rice strain."

Is this a "jasmine" rice strain?

I wish they could develop a non-sticky black rice strain, similar to the one Lotus Foods sells. It has a chewy, nutty flavor and is packed with antioxidants.

I bet 99.9% of Thais would turn up their noses at it, 555

Nuclear technology is used widely in agriculture.......globally, and not just here in Thailand.......usually in the developement of better resistant varieties of many crops......through mutation of species for improvement.

Google nuclear technology in agriculture....food security.....medical.....you'll be surprised in what fields it is commonly utilised......

While I'm well aware of how radiation can cause genetic mutations, it would be interesting to know where they draw the line between this process and genetically modifed, if indeed there is one

Stop these rational posts!

The 'basheristas' need to twist every thread so that Thailand can be 'walloped' for being corrupt, inept, etc etc regardless if there is clear evidence to the contrary.

From now on think before you post and ensure every missive has a large dose of thai denigration .

When I read the title my first reaction was: what the f..ing rotten rice is radiactive too, or what... Transgenic crops, nuclear manipulated ones, yep, go on Thailand, you're well on track, don't know whether putting a 'Thai Quality' sticker on it will be enough to sell that stuff abroad (even when you will of course try to conceal the truth)...