Expat pensions as it pertains to living in Thailand.

Bernard, I think you are missing the point here, sir. Some people come here because they have a relative living here. (In my case my only son.) As I grow frailer with old age, I would like his strength near me. There would be no purpose going to Europe.

As for knowing the law, this particular one is so incredible that few people would believe in its existence. I came here in all innocence, blithely believing that after a working life, paying Nat Ins & taxes, a fair-minded UK Government would not discriminate in this manner.

Without doing the research, I would imagine there are very few countries that reward pensioners for their service in this manner whilst still taxing them and denying them medical care.

I love a good discussion but sometimes you have to accept that you cannot defend the indefensible.

One other point mate, i was not defending anything, i was stating facts. have a good day,wish my son would be with me.

Last point,

Don't tell your government where you are or what you are doing, none of their business.

If they do get to the suspicious questioning "We know you are outside of the UK", then you tell them you are busy touring Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, USA, Philippines, they have no way of tracking you within the EU, or where you travel from within the EU.

unless of course they dont believe you and order you to show passport then suddenly all these thai imm stamps show up

I'm very careless with my passport, It's always getting lost or stolen.

I mean, come on, how daft are you, keeping records for them to look at.

please how do you travel with lost stolen passport ? your obviously stupid enough to cheat the benefits pension systems or certainly condone others to do so grow up dreamer

Why would you call it cheating the pension system when it is the government that are trying to cheat us. We worked our whole lives and paid into the pension plans via payroll deductions and now they want to tell us when and for how long we can leave our respective countries. What ticks me off more than anything is the fact that my country has agreements with some countries (not thailand) and deposit money directly into their bank accounts in their countries own currency. Philippines in one place and in my home country there 800,000 Philippine people working the service sector. That is huge money leaving every month. I have read that if a citizen of my country reports a longer than 6 months absence for reasons that are accepted then there is an automatic claw back of the pensions at 25%

Silly....everything is computerised now, if your on a pension here in AU they want to know your every move including if u leave the country and there is a cut of point if you want to go touring for a while, luckly they havent yet done that if you intend to reside outside the country.....but in time......slowly but surly there bashing away at all welfare even what was once a right.

Yes, but the OP is from the UK, who has the right to live and work in many countries without a passport.

No shared computers across Europe, not even anyone tracking which country you are in, just waved across borders.

Also pension is something you earn in the UK, not a means tested benefit like in Australia.

OP is not from the UK but is from a commonwealth country Caribbean/ N.America

Last point,

Don't tell your government where you are or what you are doing, none of their business.

If they do get to the suspicious questioning "We know you are outside of the UK", then you tell them you are busy touring Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, USA, Philippines, they have no way of tracking you within the EU, or where you travel from within the EU.

bad back??? invalidity?????

It is very much their business if you are claiming money illegaly.

How is claiming your pension monies illegal when you earned it by paying into it for years. Just because your outside your country for more than 6 months I feel they should pay us more because by being abroad we are not taxing the countries system by living there. He we have parliamentary ministers attacking this weird rule that has been on the books long before the populations of the world became so transient.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sir

If you have a (legitimate) disability pension/benefits, why should you be forced to stay in the UK.

Makes no difference to anyone where you are.

If you have a (legitimate) government pension, why should they freeze it if you want to live in one or two countries the government doesn't like.

You paid for it, up to you where you spend it.

to answer question one

Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk,in a non eu country, fact

question 2

Anybody that decided to retire to Thailand, whether governemnet, private or a combination of both, know the law,and have enough money to live here.

Adisability may not be a disability for ever unless one is on the gravy train and earning money selling drugs, ciggies etc etc.You cannot bullshit a bullshitter sir.Also Sir, one doesnt have to stay in the uk, one can go anywhere in the eu

I regret to say that you sound a lot like a government official from yester-year. Not sure how this thread became about the UK and the EU when it is about drawing pensions and living in Thailand regardless the country you are from.

Guess it all depends on how much your pension is and your spending habits. If the pension is low, it can be hard to live anywhere.

I was dismayed to read that some expats would have been living hand to mouth in their home countries but are surviving here in Thailand ...
Love to hear from those that are living on pensions here and how they are doing

Not sure why it would dismay you to learn that people are surviving in Thailand or why you would be surprised that retired people receive pensions.

I get a monthly pension from my former employer, including reimbursement for all medical, dental, prescription, etc expenses I incur in Thailand, and also Social Security payments from the US government and further income from personal investments. Isn't the purpose of pensions to augment your income during retirement? I'm hardly living from hand to mouth. Actually quite comfortable all things considered.

And, my employer, the people at Social Security and my broker all know I'm staying in Thailand. They even send me backup proof of monthly income that I attach to my annual US Embassy affidavit when doing my retirement extension of stay renewal, as proof of the amount I claimed on the affidavit.

Since this all seems to be a surprise to you, what provisions are made for people in your country? Everyone have to keep working until they drop dead?

So sorry to be advised by you that you chose to misinterpret my posting and apply it to yourself. Dismay at a person living hand to mouth in their home countries BUT happy they are managing just fine here in Thailand. How wonderful it is for us all to here that you are one of the Golden Boys broadcasting your Gold Plated pension and benefits which may or may not have come from a Golden parachute departure. In closing nothing comes as a surprise to me as I am a well researched retired lawyer. My interest stems from wanting to know about others. Yes even braggarts from the U.S.

Last point,

How is claiming your pension monies illegal when you earned it by paying into it for years. Just because your outside your country for more than 6 months I feel they should pay us more because by being abroad we are not taxing the countries system by living there. He we have parliamentary ministers attacking this weird rule that has been on the books long before the populations of the world became so transient.

If you would not be taxing the country's system by not being there, then one wonders for example how many overseas Brits would in exchange for an indexed pension sign away their access to the NHS on demand. Not many I suspect.

The UK has no absence allowance for retirees,concerning the State Pension, i.e.you are entitled to live wherever in the world you choose,your State Pension will be paid into the Bank of your choice,in the Country of your choice. The downside is you will not be entitled to annual increases while you are living out of the Country as an Ex Pat!

Last point,

The system has progressed much more than most would believe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sir

If you have a (legitimate) disability pension/benefits, why should you be forced to stay in the UK.

If you have a (legitimate) government pension, why should they freeze it if you want to live in one or two countries the government doesn't like.

to answer question one

Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk

question 2

Anybody that decided to retire to Thailand, whether governemnet, private or a combination of both, know the law,and have enough money to live here.

Adisability may not be a disability for ever unless one is on the gravy train and earning money selling drugs, ciggies etc etc.You cannot bullshit a bullshitter sir.Also Sir, one doesnt have to stay in the uk, one can go anywhere in the eu

"Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk"

That sounds like a typical Bar Room Lawyers information,which I might add is definately not true!

sir

to answer question one

Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk

question 2

Your state UK Pension is available with annual increases if you reside in the EC, there are also some other Countries that have International agreements that do not penalise Ex pats from annual increases in UK Pensions,unfortunately Thailand is not one one of those Countries! the Philippines is and so are some ex Commonwealth Countries, which Countries are more Beneficial to your retirement plans,would need to be researched thoroughly!

Your state UK Pension is available with annual increases if you reside in the EC, there are also some other Countries that have International agreements that do not penalise Ex pats from annual increases in UK Pensions,unfortunately Thailand is not one one of those Countries! the Philippines is and so are some ex Commonwealth Countries, which Countries are more Beneficial to your retirement plans,would need to be researched thoroughly!

None of the (former) commonwealth countries have pension agreements allowing UK pension rises.

Silly....everything is computerised now, if your on a pension here in AU they want to know your every move including if u leave the country and there is a cut of point if you want to go touring for a while, luckly they havent yet done that if you intend to reside outside the country.....but in time......slowly but surly there bashing away at all welfare even what was once a right.

Yes, but the OP is from the UK, who has the right to live and work in many countries without a passport.

No shared computers across Europe, not even anyone tracking which country you are in, just waved across borders.

Also pension is something you earn in the UK, not a means tested benefit like in Australia.

Well a Pension was something you worked for by paying NI Stamps,for 40 - 45 years,to earn your Pension,now it's been downgraded to be classed as a "Benefit" What a p*** take. from our UK Politicians,perhaps we should tell them: you are all on the peoples payroll,and most of you are not even worth the price of a National Insurance Stamp!

None of the (former) commonwealth countries have pension agreements allowing UK pension rises.

Here are some Countries where the increases in State Uk Pensions are still available! as stated: Retirement plans would need to be researched Thoroughly.

WHERE EXPAT PENSIONS INCREASE

Countries outside the UK where expats get an annual state pension increase:

All EEA Countries and Switzerland, Barbados, Bermuda, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Israel, Jamaica, Jersey, Mauritius, Montenegro, Philippines, Serbia, Turkey, United States of America, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

Apologies for my error,you are correct,it appears none of the main ex Commonwealth Countries have Pension agreements allowing annual Pension Agreements,for UK Ex Pats!

• Like 1

Apologies for my error,you are correct,it appears none of the main ex Commonwealth Countries have Pension agreements allowing annual Pension Agreements,for UK Ex Pats!

What would be the main ex commonwealth countries, South Africa, possible the USA.

Still some present day commonwealth countries included.

What I think we can say is it's a shambles, penalizing some people, who choose to live in certain countries while those who live in other countries still receive the yearly increase.

What would be the main ex commonwealth countries, South Africa, possible the USA.

Still some present day commonwealth countries included.

What I think we can say is it's a shambles, penalizing some people, who choose to live in certain countries while those who live in other countries still receive the yearly increase.

Canada and Australia spring to mind. Not the USA.

If you fought a war if independence against Britain, British pensioners get increases.

If you were given your independence, British pensioners suffer.

Seems arse about face to me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Very strange posts. Every country has its own rules regarding qualification to receive pension or age related benefits. Just the way it is. Thank you Canada for not caring if I live in TH or not.

Can my pension ever stop? Yes. Your pension will stop if:
  • You are out of the country for more than six months and you did not reside in Canada for at least 20 years after you turned age 18
  • you made a request to have your pension stopped
  • you are incarcerated in a federal penitentiary for a sentence of two years or longer, or
  • you die (it is important that someone notify us about your death to avoid overpayment).

Last point,

If you would not be taxing the country's system by not being there, then one wonders for example how many overseas Brits would in exchange for an indexed pension sign away their access to the NHS on demand. Not many I suspect.

I certainly would and so would many other UK expats that I know.

If you, like me, have foolishly informed the UK Gov that you are officially an ex-pat, then you no longer have the NHS access by right. I think you have to live there 6 months before you re-qualify.

I have no address in UK & no doctor. I don't know how I would cope if I got a serious illness; where would I go? Who would I see? I expect if I walked into casualty I might get seen by someone (after a 5 hour wait.) I would have a number of embarrassing questions to answer.

If you, like me, have foolishly informed the UK Gov that you are officially an ex-pat, then you no longer have the NHS access by right. I think you have to live there 6 months before you re-qualify.

I have no address in UK & no doctor. I don't know how I would cope if I got a serious illness; where would I go? Who would I see? I expect if I walked into casualty I might get seen by someone (after a 5 hour wait.) I would have a number of embarrassing questions to answer.

Not 100% certain, but I think if you are a state pensioner, that they will treat you.

If not a state pensioner, probably better to tell them that you have now returned to the UK permanently, cannot see them refusing to treat "you".

Brazilian friend on holiday in the UK needed an urgent operation last month.

It was done in an NHS hospital, after she was sent a bill for 2,900 pounds.

No way she will pay, back in Brazil now.

Getting treatment in the UK isn't a problem, they give you the bill after.

So you just don't pay, nothing they can do.